Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
BishopMVP
Coordinator

2010 Lacrosse Final Four

A little late to be starting this thread, but ND beat Cornall earlier and Duke/UVa are about to go to the 4th in a great game (Duke 9-8 right now). While not generally a fan of Duke, I am rooting for them right now because I play/played against 4 of their players (Quinzani, Lawson, Solie and Orlando) in summer leagues. UVa middie Shamel Bratton also pulled off the rarely-seen behind the back split dodge, which I have never seen work in an actual game before.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

As much as it pains me to root for either UVa or Duke, I think I'm pulling for UVa because of the drama this year.

Though if ND wins it all, at least the Terps can say they lost to the eventual champs in the quarters. Would like to see the Terp women win it all tomorrow over Northwestern.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

Never really watched much lacrosse, but this is a fantastic game. Let's go Hoos.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Massachusetts lacrosse represent!

(Semi-funny story - despite being easily the best player in the state and setting the national HS record for scoring, Quinzani wasn't awarded All-American his Senior year because when he was shut off on man-up against the #2 team he went 5 feet in front of the opposing coach and practiced his golf swing. Guess he'll settle for 2nd all-time among NCAA goal scorers and a national championship if they beat ND on Monday.)
Old 05-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
digamma
Torchbearer

Bishop,

What is the offsides rule?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:34 AM   #6
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Bishop,

What is the offsides rule?
There are 10 players on the field for each team. At any time you must have at least 3 players on the offensive half and 4 (including the goalie) on the defensive half.

In simplified terms, when teams clear the ball from their own end they have a guy near the midfield line whose job it is to come back over and keep the team onsides if the ball carrier runs it over instead of passing it. Since there was such little time left coming out of the timeout, all of UVa's players went down near to the goal (so they could hopefully catch a hail mary and shoot it), thus when Carroll ran it over instead of throwing it there was no one to cover back for him.
Quote:
Never really watched much lacrosse, but this is a fantastic game.
That was a great game. I get that it will never catch on to be a major sport, but when teams are playing at that level and the emotion is running high even non-fans have to enjoy watching.

Monday's championship game will probably be played at a slower pace - ND's best chance is to keep it low-scoring and rely on their huge (and very good) goalie. Meanwhile, Duke will want to run, but if they get up 4-5 goals they could take their foot off the gas and start possessing the ball for longer periods. Duke is a 3-4 goal favorite despite Notre Dame winning at Duke back at the start of the season.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Spoiler

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Duke squad was full of the 5th year seniors that were involved with that whole rape scandal
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
The Duke squad was full of the 5th year seniors that were involved with that whole rape scandal

Even better that they got to win a title on their way out IMO. Good for them.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote