Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
Telle
College Starter

My Father Broke His Back

On Thursday my father had an accident on his motorcycle and broke his back. Specifically he shattered lumbar 1. He has feeling in his legs, although his toes were "tingly" this morning. He had surgery this evening, fusing together the vertebrae above and below the one he broke. The surgery was supposed to last five hours but only took three. Reports are that he's doing quite well.

Both my brothers headed out to Michigan today, where my father and my step-mom are. RendeR already had plans to head to Pennsylvania today with his mother, so I had to be home to watch the kids.. so I couldn't head out there as well.. not that either brother even thought to ask if I'd like to go along with them. But then again, I wasn't planning on going this weekend anyways. I'm planning on taking a couple of weeks once he's home and my step-mom has to go back to work.. that way I can be of help. If I went now, all I could do is sit around with everyone else.

Now, the really frustrating thing? I don't particularly like the man. He's one of those people where, if he wasn't my father, I wouldn't choose to have him in my life. So, my emotions are all sorts of messed up. I don't know what I feel. I don't really know what I should feel. I know I'm mad. The son-of-a-bitch could have killed himself. And I keep crying. I suffer from major depression, and although it's well controlled with medication, this whole thing has certainly sent me into a funk.

So, I just ask that you keep my father, my brothers, and myself in your thoughts.

Telle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*hugs to The Tellemonster* good thoughts to everyone!
Old 05-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #3
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

It's makes it really tough that you don't particularly like him, but I can dig that you do love him. Thank God he can feel his legs & could come out of this pretty much ok. I was glad when I broke mine that the fracture was on the opposite side of the column and there was no compromise. Just a bit of uncomfort & dull pain most of the time, but it beats the chair.

Don't feel guilty for not liking him either. These times are tough, but he's sure to do or say something at some point that will remind you just what a wonderful person he is. Now, you will know his weak spot.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'll keep him in my thoughts.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Hoping for a speedy recovery for your dad. And good thoughts being sent to all of you.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
BYU 14
Coordinator

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery for your Father. It is hard when you have not been close, but it is commendable that you can put that aside in his time of need. You never know, this may actually help to alleviate some of the hard feelings that exist.

Either way, best wishes to you both during this time.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Telle
College Starter

Thanks for the well-wishes guys. Word is he's now off the morphine and so is having a tough time sleeping. Every indication is that the surgery went well though.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

shouldn't have stepped on that crack....

J/K Hope he recovers quickly
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
Telle
College Starter

Great news.. he's up and walking. He overdid it with the walking a little yesterday, and today is being limited to one lap at a time. But I'm so excited. I had no idea he'd be walking so soon. Supposed to be starting physical therapy tomorrow as well.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Great news, Telle!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote