Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So, there's this thing called IPv6

I consider myself a very solid networking guy. I've gotten most Cisco certs short of the CCIE, which I passed the written test for but never got to take the practical exam. I understand IPv4 very well. But for the life of me I'm having a hard time getting my head around IPv6. I don't think it should be this difficult, but I'm obviously missing something.

Anyone here gotten a good understanding of IPv6? If so, what did you use to learn about it? I've gotten a couple of books, but after reading through them I didn't really have much more understanding than before I picked them up.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
finketr
College Prospect

Here's the hardest thing to get your head around from my POV:

Wasting tons of address space is OK! in IPv6. A /64 for a small office LAN? Yes, that's fine. A /64 for a point-to-point link? Sure! No problem! We will be doing /127, maybe /126 for a point-to-point. The difficult one will be the /64 for a network infrastructure LAN (routers, switches)

The way I see it for my network is that I'll be assigning a /61 as the smallest allocation to an office to cover Data, Voice, Wireless, and infrastructure. This will allow me to get from at fewest 6 routes to 1 in my global routing table. Larger facilities will get larger allocations but it will still be 1 route/site.

Of course, the more difficult part for me will be the global/regional strategy of address allocation. Do we assign the entire corporation from our ARIN assigned space or get space from APNIC and RIPE as we have internet POPs there?

all the best,

--t
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post

Wasting tons of address space is OK! in IPv6. A /64 for a small office LAN? Yes, that's fine. A /64 for a point-to-point link? Sure! No problem! We will be doing /127, maybe /126 for a point-to-point. The difficult one will be the /64 for a network infrastructure LAN (routers, switches)

The way I see it for my network is that I'll be assigning a /61 as the smallest allocation to an office to cover Data, Voice, Wireless, and infrastructure. This will allow me to get from at fewest 6 routes to 1 in my global routing table. Larger facilities will get larger allocations but it will still be 1 route/site.

Of course, the more difficult part for me will be the global/regional strategy of address allocation. Do we assign the entire corporation from our ARIN assigned space or get space from APNIC and RIPE as we have internet POPs there?

all the best,

--t

What. The. Fuck.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
What. The. Fuck.

Lol +1
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post

all the best,

--t

sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #7
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Right now I am able to get a /64 from my ISP (Comcast). Every IPv6 capable device on my network gets its own public IPv6 address. IPv4 is still behind a NAT router. From a use perspective, I find that my IPv6 connections tend to be slightly faster than IPv4 to the same server/service.

From a security and management perspective, I'm in the same boat. I don't really know much in that area either. Most security/management devices/appliances/etc seem to be geared around IPv4 and if IPv6 is even allowed, it is merely passed through.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

After doing some research on my own.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote