Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

PING Vegetarians

Was going to post this in the food aversions thread, but didn't want that thread hijacked.

At the start of the calendar year I decided I'd try to be vegetarian. We're here at the start of May and so far so good (generally).

Was wondering what anyone else's typical eating style is. I often get asked if I have lost weight. The answer is no, and if anything I've probably gained a few pounds. Not that it's a concern - I'd describe myself as slender. I used to eat really well back before this year- grilled chicken w/broccoli or corn was a meal 4-5 times a week.

The problem here is that I am still learning how to eat like a vegetarian - often I'll replace an old normal meal with a grilled cheese or a cheese quesadilla. I be eatin' cheese like meat. That's not good.

Thoughts on fake meat? I've got smart dogs, veggie burgers, Boca chicken patties in my fridge/freezer currently. They all taste great, actually, but another flag here is the high levels of sodium these provide.

I think I'm just not creative enough, yet. Anybody have any pointers/tips/websites/favorites? I'm open to creating simpler meals at home - I hardly ever go to a restaurant/fast food anymore.

Not necessarily a diet thread, although I would like to maintain my current weight - more of a "how do you go through your day" type of thread.

Edited to add that I don't like mushrooms - but it's something I could be open to trying again.

Last edited by korme : 05-06-2013 at 11:52 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

i won't be much help since i'm the least healthy vegetarian out there. my diet consists primarily of cheese subs, pizza, cheetos, bagels, peanut butter cap'n crunch and diet mt. dew. (38, but on an 18 yr old's diet) Seriously though my family eats a lot of Morningtar brand foods. Especially veggie dogs, Chix patties, Buff Wings. They are all tasty.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

tofu? marinate it and it tastes good.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

There's some good posts about this in the Forks v. Knives thread.

Beans are a pretty good place to go. Black beans with brown rice and lots of spices is a pretty good staple meal.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Tofu , beans, lentils, quinoa, eggplant, are all good. I'm on my phone now but when I get to my laptop ill post more. I've been veggie for 24 years and managed to be somewhat healthy.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:23 AM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

My wife has had to become Vegan for health reasons and she reads a lot of blogs. One I know she follows is by a Chef who is always posting new more gourmet recipes. Your best bet for info right now is to work through the Forks v. Knives thread. Great stuff in there.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #7
Butter
Coordinator

Making stir-fry dishes with tofu works pretty well. Also, I liked the Morningstar Farms chicken replacement stuff, it wasn't far off the mark.

I also gained weight when I tried being a vegetarian for about 4 months, because I was just eating ice cream every night. Not very smart.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
daverick
n00b

In my opinion, if you really want to be a healthy vegetarian the first thing you need to do is stop with the food that is supposed to be fake meat.
daverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I'm with daverick. My view is it's better to eat real meat once in a while (and go ahead and get real good, fresh meat when you do) and to avoid the processed-fake-meat stuff for the most part, if not entirely.

Go buy some cookbooks and try stuff. It's how I learned. I bought a chinese-food cookbook last fall and spent the winter learning how to make a number of different marinades and sauces, and now those meals are weekly staples. Next I might try a thai cookbook, or maybe North Indian. Keep it new. Pay for good ingredients. Give yourself a reason to be excited about cooking dinner.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
Buccaneer
Head Coach

While I am not a vegetarian, my diet is focused on lowering carbs (more important to do that than fat or cholesterol). That means lots of non-sweet vegetables, some fruits, lots of skim cheese and nuts (almonds and cashews). Mrs Bucc is almost all vegetarian, lots of grilled fresh vegetables, fruits and salads with an occasional boneless chicken and fish.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I guess another pointer from my experience is to pay attention to what your body is telling you. For whatever reason my metabolism demands a certain amount of protein every day and if I don't get it, I feel foggy and grouchy. I usually interpret this feeling as "hunger" and thus try to consume food to feel better, but doing so doesn't help if the food I'm eating isn't filling the protein need. Result? Extra calories. So I now make sure to be proactive about protein, usually making sure I eat an egg every morning, and then more either at lunch or as part of the afternoon snack. Result is that I both feel better and eat fewer calories overall.

I think what I mean by this is that if you are trying a vegetarian diet and your body is telling you it doesn't like it, pay attention to that feeling, and try to figure out what it means, and how to address it.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Easy Mac

I only eat foods that are round or spherical in shape.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

in defense of fake meat: they seem pretty healthy (at least going off of the nutrition label - I'm no food scientist). they seem generally high in protein, high in fiber, low in fat and low in calories.

This stuff (Calories in Morningstar Farms - Meal Starters Veggie Crumbles, Grillers Recipe | Nutrition and Health Facts) + tomato sauce = sloppy joe nom nom.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Do you have a produce delivery service near you? Getting a big box of produce delivered to your door every week is not only convenient, it will pretty much force you to stop eating processed foods. That's the real complaint about most 'fake meat' products, they're still highly processed foods that can strip out some/most of the nutrients and can sometimes contain just as many mystery ingredients and/or preservatives as any other processed food.

This place might fit your bill:

Green BEAN Delivery - Organic Produce & Natural Groceries, Free Home Delivery
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Was going to post this in the food aversions thread, but didn't want that thread hijacked.

At the start of the calendar year I decided I'd try to be vegetarian. We're here at the start of May and so far so good (generally).

Was wondering what anyone else's typical eating style is. I often get asked if I have lost weight. The answer is no, and if anything I've probably gained a few pounds. Not that it's a concern - I'd describe myself as slender. I used to eat really well back before this year- grilled chicken w/broccoli or corn was a meal 4-5 times a week.

The problem here is that I am still learning how to eat like a vegetarian - often I'll replace an old normal meal with a grilled cheese or a cheese quesadilla. I be eatin' cheese like meat. That's not good.

Thoughts on fake meat? I've got smart dogs, veggie burgers, Boca chicken patties in my fridge/freezer currently. They all taste great, actually, but another flag here is the high levels of sodium these provide.

I think I'm just not creative enough, yet. Anybody have any pointers/tips/websites/favorites? I'm open to creating simpler meals at home - I hardly ever go to a restaurant/fast food anymore.

Not necessarily a diet thread, although I would like to maintain my current weight - more of a "how do you go through your day" type of thread.

Edited to add that I don't like mushrooms - but it's something I could be open to trying again.

I've lost weight since becomming a vegetarian, but that's because I started working out / getting into shape around the same time - don't think its a straight weight thing. For me, it was about just not liking the thought of eating meat much :2cents:.

My diet has gotten better over the past few years -I usually start with a spinach + fruit smoothie in the morning (with a little cocoa powder), then have a sandwich or salad for lunch, and a small burrito or chickpeas (Indian style channa is maybe my favorite dish on the planet, but hummus or falafel or other styles of chickpeas are great too).

I also snack all day on cashews, almonds, etc etc - helps keep me satiated and stops me overdozing.

Re: fake meats. I really like the morningstar burgers, pizza one - I take a slice of low fat cheese, some sauteed onions (I love onions like a firstborn child) and peppers, and put it on a small Wheat Thin Sandwich Slender (Safeway carries this) with some chalula sauce - satisfying, small (300 calorie) meal that nonetheless, tastes effing delicious. I don't really do the other fake meat stuff (chicken nuggets, etc etc), but YMMV.

I've gotten more into quasi-lower carb cooking - I'm not a Keto / Paleo freak, but I've played around with things like cauliflower crusted pizza, and I've found its delicious and healthier for me (and I am the pickiest eater on the planet) - here's a good recipe to try out.

http://www.thevintagemixer.com/2013/...-crust-recipe/
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
I guess another pointer from my experience is to pay attention to what your body is telling you. For whatever reason my metabolism demands a certain amount of protein every day and if I don't get it, I feel foggy and grouchy. I usually interpret this feeling as "hunger" and thus try to consume food to feel better, but doing so doesn't help if the food I'm eating isn't filling the protein need. Result? Extra calories. So I now make sure to be proactive about protein, usually making sure I eat an egg every morning, and then more either at lunch or as part of the afternoon snack. Result is that I both feel better and eat fewer calories overall.

I think what I mean by this is that if you are trying a vegetarian diet and your body is telling you it doesn't like it, pay attention to that feeling, and try to figure out what it means, and how to address it.

Chickpeas, Chickpeas, Chickpeas.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:48 PM   #17
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Chickpeas, Chickpeas, Chickpeas.

I've come to love those little guys. 1 serving of chickpeas and 1 serving of almonds will give you all 9 o' them essential aminos! Good thing they're both extra tasty, too. I guess I'm pretty much Paleo these days, but I actually have trouble eating enough meat every day, so half my meals usually just end up being vegetarian, and I supplement with lots o' beans and nuts.

For me, one of the biggest challenges in changing my diet was just getting used to paying for quality (raw) food/ingredients....like, not only was I used to eating out of a box, I was used to making price make most of my decisions for me, and not really in a particularly rational manner either, because eating and preparing predominantly raw, basic ingredients is still relatively cheap, but my brain just had problems with the whole idea. Removing brand and perceived value from the shopping equation was much easier said than done (at least in my case). Also, I had to get used to cooking and chopping shit ALL THE FUCKING TIME....like, holy crap, I have to actually MAKE breakfast? Every day? Eventually you can make that pretty interesting, and it becomes a hobby of sorts, but the mental shift (and hours of your day that feel lost initially) is pretty jarring initially(or at least it was, in my case, again).
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Posted this in FOFC Recipe Box Thread. Filling, healthy and bursting with flavor. Makes a ton:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
This is always a hit.

Mexican Bean Salad

Ingredients:

1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn kernels
1 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 clove crushed garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 dash hot pepper sauce
1/2 teaspoon chili powder

Directions

1.) In a large bowl, combine beans, bell peppers, frozen corn, and red onion.
2.) In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, lemon juice, sugar, salt, garlic, cilantro, cumin, and black pepper. Season to taste with hot sauce and chili powder.
3.) Pour olive oil dressing over vegetables; mix well. Chill thoroughly, and serve cold.

Last edited by Dodgerchick : 05-07-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #19
BYU 14
Coordinator

I have a real tasty sweet potato enchilada recipe I will post later, but in regards to cheese.

Fat free feta (my fav) and galaxy makes some good rice shreds (cheddar and mozzarella) that are quite good and gluten free,
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Though I am not a vegetarian anymore, I still eat a lot of vegetarian. I like some of the fake meats, like Morningstar Farms Chik'n Patties. I don't use fake meats because I miss meat, though...I really don't like the flavor of most meat. I've found that the "sausage" crumbles go well in a pasta with creamy pumpkin sauce I make and the "beef" crumbles go really well in chili and in tomato sauces. I also really like the Quorn "Corndogs." But my "favorite" veggie-type foods are the veggie patties from Morningstar Farms (not the ones that are supposed to taste like meat, the ones that are cut up vegetables).

I have a ton of vegetarian (not vegan) recipes. Some I've posted in the FOFC Recipe Box thread. I can share some here if desired..I also make a Mexican Bean Salad similar to DC's but I only use black beans (and I use canned corn instead of frozen) instead of 3 beans. I also quite often add cut up mango and avocado, skip the sugar.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #21
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I was a vegetarian for years and ended up actually gaining weight. I went vegan this year and the weight is coming off pretty quick. Surprisingly, getting off of dairy/eggs was much easier than I ever thought it would be.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #22
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Though I am not a vegetarian anymore, I still eat a lot of vegetarian. I like some of the fake meats, like Morningstar Farms Chik'n Patties. I don't use fake meats because I miss meat, though...I really don't like the flavor of most meat. I've found that the "sausage" crumbles go well in a pasta with creamy pumpkin sauce I make and the "beef" crumbles go really well in chili and in tomato sauces. I also really like the Quorn "Corndogs." But my "favorite" veggie-type foods are the veggie patties from Morningstar Farms (not the ones that are supposed to taste like meat, the ones that are cut up vegetables).

I have a ton of vegetarian (not vegan) recipes. Some I've posted in the FOFC Recipe Box thread. I can share some here if desired..I also make a Mexican Bean Salad similar to DC's but I only use black beans (and I use canned corn instead of frozen) instead of 3 beans. I also quite often add cut up mango and avocado, skip the sugar.

/tk
Share!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #23
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
I was a vegetarian for years and ended up actually gaining weight. I went vegan this year and the weight is coming off pretty quick. Surprisingly, getting off of dairy/eggs was much easier than I ever thought it would be.

While I love eggs, I could imagine not eating them. It's the cheese that would get me... although I realize there are those Go Veggie! fake cheeses out there.

Also, so many sauces have a milk base, it would just be very difficult.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #24
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
While I love eggs, I could imagine not eating them. It's the cheese that would get me... although I realize there are those Go Veggie! fake cheeses out there.

Also, so many sauces have a milk base, it would just be very difficult.

That is what we thought. However, we have found alternatives with a lot of recipes that seem just as good (in some cases much better). Of course, the longer you are vegan the more palatable the alternatives seem to become. Also, the more disgusting a lot of dairy products begin to smell/taste. After years of being vegetarian, the smell of hot dogs when I'm out and about really turns my stomach. I picked up a large cheese pizza for the kids a couple of weeks back and the smell made me think it was full of spoiled milk. According to the kids, it tasted just as good as it ever does. Surprising what happens once you're no longer regularly ingesting certain foods.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
That is what we thought. However, we have found alternatives with a lot of recipes that seem just as good (in some cases much better). Of course, the longer you are vegan the more palatable the alternatives seem to become.

share.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #26
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Old 05-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #27
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

The board just ate my entire post. I had a TON of recipes posted. I'll try to post again tomorrow. In the meantime, I highly recommend:
| Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking (vegan recipes)
Amazon.com: Vegan Planet: 400 Irresistible Recipes With Fantastic Flavors from Home and Around the World (Non) (9781558322110): Robin Robertson: Books (vegan cookbook)

Wow I'm so annoyed it ditched my entire post. I spent like 20 minutes working on it.

/tk
Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #28
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I've been vegetarian (mostly vegan though I do eat limited dairy) for a couple of months - has been really nice so far, I don't feel deprived at all and have been eating a lot healthier than I was. The only problem is with menus at certain restaurants where they have very limited options.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #29
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, as promised, recipes. So that the board doesn't eat my entire long, I'm going to post a lot of posts, each with a couple recipes, so I'll avoid using the "dola" every time.

One key point I want to bring up before I get into the recipes is that I've found that most vegetable broths are boring, bland, and flat. Since I'm not a vegetarian anymore and don't mind chicken broth, I use it instead in a lot of these recipes. That said, I've recently found (through the Vegan Planet cookbook mentioned above) that the combination of 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard and 1 tablespoon mellow white miso pasted dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot (not boiling) water does wonders to add depth without adding meat products. If you find any of these flat, I strongly recommend trying it! I plan on trying it with a couple...

/tk
Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #30
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Skillet Mushrooms & Chard with Barley or Brown Rice
Ingredients
1 cup barley or brown rice
1 quart water
Salt to taste
1 generous bunch Swiss chard or rainbow chard
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon lemon- or mushroom-scented olive oil
1 pound mushrooms, trimmed and cut in thick slices
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon roughly chopped fresh thyme leaves
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup barley water

Directions
1. Combine the barley or rice and water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Add salt to taste, reduce the heat and simmer the barley for 1 hour, brown rice for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Set a strainer over a bowl and drain the grains. Retain the cooking water.
2. While the grains are cooking, stem the chard and wash thoroughly in two changes of water. Chop coarsely. If the stalks are merely thick, dice them; if they are stringy, discard them.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat in a large, wide skillet or wok. Add the mushrooms and chard stems, if using, and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms sear and begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme and a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the chard and raise the heat to high. Cook, stirring, until the chard wilts, which shouldn’t take more than 3 minutes (you may have to add the chard in batches, depending on the size of your pan). Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Once the chard has wilted, add 3/4 cup of the cooking water from the rice or barley. Cover and simmer over low heat for 3 minutes, or until the chard is tender. Uncover, stir and if you wish to have more sauce with the vegetables, add more cooking water from the grains and stir until it reduces to the desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning. Drizzle on the remaining oil and serve with the grains.

Yield: 4 servings.

Advance preparation: You can cook both the grains and the vegetables several hours ahead and reheat. Retain some barley water or rice water to add to the dish if desired. The cooked grains will keep for 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator, but the cooking water will keep for only a couple of days.
Nutritional information per serving: 279 calories; 1 gram saturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 5 grams monounsaturated fat; 0 milligrams cholesterol; 46 grams carbohydrates; 10 grams dietary fiber; 193 milligrams sodium (does not include salt to taste); 10 grams protein

Crispy Lemon-Roasted Brussels Sprouts
from Crispy Lemon Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Ingredients:
2 lb Brussels Sprouts
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1-2 lemons
more salt and pepper as needed

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Cut off the bottom ends of the Brussels Sprouts and discard. Cut the remaining part in half and place into a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and give it a good mix. Spread this mixture onto a baking sheet.
3. Place the baking sheet into the oven and roast for 40 minutes. Remove the baking sheet every 15 minutes while roasting and give the Brussels Sprouts a good toss to make sure they are evenly roasting and browning. 10 minutes before they are done, squeeze an entire lemon on top of the vegetables and then cut the lemon up and throw it onto the baking sheet and place back into the oven to finish roasted.
4. Once the edges are crisp and brown, remove the baking sheet from the oven. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Serve immediately.

Easy Thai Peanut Sauce
From Easy Thai Peanut Sauce Recipe: How to Make My Mom's Thai Satay Sauce | SheSimmersSheSimmers
(Makes 3.5 cups)
Ingredients:
1 13.5-ounce can of Chaokoh coconut milk
2 ounces (approximately 1/4 cup) of Thai red curry paste (I use either Maesri or Mae Ploy.)
[Added December 13, 2010: For those who like their peanut sauce with lots of flavor but less heat, replacing red curry paste with the same amount of Thai massaman curry paste which is just as flavorful (in a different way) but not nearly as hot.]
3/4 cup unsweetened (natural) creamy peanut butter -- the kind that has a layer of oil on top* (Do not use regular peanut butter. I use Smucker's natural peanut butter.**)
1/2 tablespoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar (Do not use white wine, red wine, balsamic, or anything else -- not even rice vinegar)
1/2 cup water

Directions:
1. Put everything into a medium heavy-bottomed pot and bring to a very gentle boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
2. Let the mixture simmer for 3-5 minutes over low heat; be careful not to let the mixture scorch at the bottom of the pot.
3. Take the pot off the heat, let the sauce cool down to room temperature (or slightly warmer), and serve the sauce with satay or fried tofu.
Note: This peanut sauce keeps in a glass container in the refrigerator for weeks. Refrigerated sauce will thicken up considerably. All you have to do is thin it out with a little bit of water to desired consistency, reheat, and serve. The sauce also freezes beautifully.
*Originally, Mom used roasted peanuts, ground up in a mortar and pestle. For those who feel the use of natural peanut butter in this recipe is blasphemous, please feel free to go that route. But then, what is unsweetened, natural peanut butter if not roasted peanuts ground up into a paste?
**For those living in areas of the world where commercial natural peanut butter is not available, please grind up 12 ounces of roasted peanuts using whatever means most convenient for you. Then use the peanut paste in the same manner as peanut butter as directed.

/tk
Old 05-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #31
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Kale & Potato Hash
Ingredients:
8 Cups Kale leaves, cut in fine shreds
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Horseradish
1 Shallot, minced
1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups cooked shredded Potatoes
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil

Instructions:
1. Place kale in a large cast iron skillet and sauté in butter, until wilted, about 6 minutes. Cool slightly.
2. Mix horseradish, shallot, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Add the chopped kale and potatoes; stir to combine.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the kale mixture, spread into an even layer and cook, stirring every 3 to 4 minutes and returning the mixture to an even layer, until the potatoes begin to turn golden brown and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes total.

Kale & Potato Hash Tips
A 1- to 1 1/2-pound bunch of kale yields 16 to 24 cups of chopped leaves.
When preparing kale for these recipes, remove the tough ribs, chop or tear the kale as directed, then wash it--allowing some water to cling to the leaves. The moisture helps steam the kale during the first stages of cooking.
Set a poached egg on top for a hearty breakfast or brunch.

Pasta Alla Norma (from America's Test Kitchen)
Serves 4
We call for both regular and extra-virgin olive oil in this recipe. The higher smoke point of regular olive oil makes it best for browning the eggplant; extra-virgin olive oil stirred into the sauce before serving lends fruity flavor. If you don’t have regular olive oil, use vegetable oil. We prefer kosher salt in step 1 because it clings best to the eggplant. If using table salt, reduce the amount to ½ teaspoon. Ricotta salata is traditional, but French feta, Pecorino Romano, and Cotija (a firm, crumbly Mexican cheese) are acceptable substitutes; see “Ricotta Salata’s Understudies,” below. Our preferred brands of crushed tomatoes are Tuttorosso and Muir Glen.

Ingredients:
1 large eggplant (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Kosher salt (see note)
3 tablespoons olive oil (see note)
4 medium garlic cloves , mined or pressed through garlic press (about 4 teaspoons)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes (see note)
1 pound ziti , rigatoni, or penne
6 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3 ounces ricotta salata , shredded (about 1 cup) (see note)

Instructions:
1. Toss eggplant with 1 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Line surface of large microwave-safe plate with double layer of coffee filters and lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. Spread eggplant in even layer over coffee filters; wipe out and reserve bowl. Microwave eggplant on high power, uncovered, until dry to touch and slightly shriveled, about 10 minutes, tossing once halfway through to ensure that eggplant cooks evenly. Let cool slightly.
2. Transfer eggplant to now-empty bowl, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and toss gently to coat; discard coffee filters and reserve plate. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add eggplant and distribute in even layer. Cook, stirring or tossing every 1½ to 2 minutes (more frequent stirring may cause eggplant pieces to break apart), until well browned and fully tender, about 10 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and transfer eggplant to now-empty plate and set aside.
3. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, and pepper flakes to now-empty but still-hot skillet and cook using residual heat so garlic doesn’t burn, stirring constantly, until fragrant and garlic becomes pale golden, about 1 minute (if skillet is too cool to cook mixture, set it over medium heat). Add tomatoes, return skillet to burner over medium-high heat, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil. Add pasta and 2 tablespoons salt and cook until al dente. Reserve ½ cup cooking water; drain pasta and transfer back to cooking pot.
5. While pasta is cooking, return eggplant to skillet with tomatoes and gently stir to incorporate. Bring to simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring gently occasionally, until eggplant is heated through and flavors are blended, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir basil and extra-virgin olive oil into sauce; season to taste with salt. Add sauce to cooked pasta, adjusting consistency with reserved pasta cooking water so that sauce coats pasta. Serve immediately, sprinkled with ricotta salata.

Curried Lentil Soup with Spinach
**Note this is a recipe that can fall flat depending on the robustness of the vegetable broth. If it's flat, using a miso paste + water + dijon mustard mixture can help to deepen it a bit. And salt.

Other note -> this recipe goes really well with the coconut rice recipe I have somewhere in this list.

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cups dry lentils, rinsed and picked
2 tsp curry powder
6 cups vegetable broth
4 cloves garlic (medium)
10 oz chopped frozen spinach, thawed

Directions:
1. Heat oil in soup pot. Add the garlic and onion and saute over medium heat until golden
2. Add lentils and broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in curry powder, cover, and simmer very gently for 35-40 minutes.
3. When lentils are mushy, stir in the spinach and check consistency. If soup is too thick, add about 4 cups water. Season with salt and additional curry powder if desired.

Baigan Bharta
From Flavors of India by Madhur Jaffrey

Ingredients:
3.5 lb eggplant
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 Tbsp peeled and very finely grated fresh ginger root
1 Tbsp very finely chopped garlic
4 peeled plum tomatoes, finely chopped
3-5 fresh hot green chilies, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp cayenne
2 tsp salt
2 cups fresh cilantro, finely chopped

Directions:
1. Prick a few holes in the eggplants. Stand one directly on top of a medium-low gas flame. Hold it with a pair of tongs until the bottom has charred. Lie it down on the flame and move it back and forth until one section is completely charred. Keep turning the eggplant until it is charred on the outside and soft on the inside. Do all the eggplants this way. Hold one eggplant at a time under running water and peel off the charred skin. Collect all the pulp in a bowl and mash it lightly.
2. If you wish to use the oven to do this roasting, you may, though the bharta will not have its traditional smoky taste. Pre-heat the oven to 475. Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise and place them, cut-side down, on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the eggplants have collapsed slightly. Remove from the oven and spoon out the flesh. Discard the skin. Roughly chop up the flesh and set it aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wok or wide, preferably non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When hot, put in the cumin seeds. Let them sizzle for 20 seconds. Put in the onion. Stir and fry until the onion is translucent. Add the ginger and garlic. Stir and fry for another 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, chilies, cayenne pepper, and salt. Stir and fry for 2 minutes. Turn the heat to medium-low and continue to cook for another 7-8 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft. Put in the eggplant pulp. Stir and fry for another 5 minutes or until the vegetables are melded together.
4. Add the fresh cilantro, stir and remove from the heat.

Serves 4-6.

/tk
Old 05-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #32
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Bean Burritos with Yogurt Sauce
Original recipe was from a newsletter from The Splendid Table with Lynne Rossetto Kasper

Ingredients:
Burritos
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1-1/2 cups thinly sliced onion (about 1 medium onion)
2/3 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon paprika
Two 15-ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
6 large flour tortillas

Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and grated on medium holes (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add the oil. Add the garlic, onion, and bell pepper and cook for 6 minutes. Add the coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes, and paprika and mix well. Add the garbanzo beans and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper and then stir in the cilantro.
2. While the garbanzos are cooking, make the sauce. Mix together all of the ingredients in a small bowl.
3. Spoon 1/2 cup of the garbanzo bean mixture onto each tortilla and top with some yogurt sauce. Roll up the tortillas tightly and serve.
Tip: You can also use shredded cheese in the burrito, and/or fresh slided avocado. This also works well as a quesidilla....or served over rice or couscous. I also made it with red beans instead of chickpeas. Still yummy.

Spanish White Beans with Spinach
from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Spinach-356051
Ingredients:
1 large onion, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika (pimentón dulce)
2 (19-ounces cans) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup water
2 (10-ounces) bags spinach, tough stems removed

Directions:
1. Cook onion and sun-dried tomatoes in 1/4 cup oil with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper in a 5- to 6-qt pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onion is browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and paprika and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
2. Stir in beans, water, spinach, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with pepper and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoon oil.

Ratatouille (from America's Test Kitchen)
Using fresh herbs is important here; 2 teaspoons minced rosemary can be substituted for the thyme. It is important to cook the eggplant and zucchini (in batches) until they are brown, but to stir them as little as possible to prevent them from turning mushy.
Ingredients:
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions , halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 red bell peppers , stemmed, seeded, and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
Salt
2 medium eggplants (about 2 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
3 medium zucchini (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces
2 medium garlic cloves , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves , or minced fresh parsley leaves
Ground black pepper

Instructions
1. Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 325 degrees. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-low heat until shimmering. Add the onions, peppers, and 1 teaspoon salt, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and have released their liquid, about 10 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes longer.
2. While the onions and peppers cook, heat 1 tablespoon more oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high until shimmering. Add half of the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to a medium bowl. Repeat with 1 tablespoon more oil and the remaining eggplant, then transfer to the bowl. Working in two batches, repeat again with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and the *zucchini, transferring each batch to the bowl with the eggplant.
3. When the onions are golden brown, stir in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes with their juice, scraping up any browned bits. Gently stir in the browned eggplant and zucchini and bring to a simmer. Partially cover, place the pot in the oven, and cook the ratatouille until slightly thickened but the vegetables still retain their shape, about 1 hour, gently stirring halfway through cooking. Stir in the basil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

Savory Coconut Rice (from Budget Bytes)
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup jasmine rice
1 can (approx. 1.5 cups) lite coconut milk
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt

STEP 1: Place the rice, coconut milk, garlic, salt and 1.5 cups of water in a heavy bottomed pot (I used a 2 qt sized pot for this recipe).
STEP 2: Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat with a lid on the pot.
STEP 3: Once the mixture comes to a boil, immediately turn to "low" heat and continue to cook with the lid on until all of the liquid has absorbed (about 30-40 minutes). Do not lift the lid or you risk losing valuable moisture. If you need to check to see if the liquid has absorbed, only check toward the end of the cooking time. Using a pot with a glass lid helps reduce the need for lifting the lid.
STEP 4: Fluff the rice with a fork and serve!

Crockpot "Beef" Chili
Ingredients:
1 Bag Morningstar Meal Starter Grillers Recipe Crumbles (75% less fat than ground beef!)
2 cans Rotel or diced tomatoes with jalapenos (I use 2-14.5 oz cans Muir Glen)
15.5 oz. Can Black Beans
15.5 oz. Can Kidney Beans
1 Can Corn
1. 6 oz. Can Tomato Paste
1/2 of Large Onion
1 Tbs Minced Garlic
Approx 1/4 Cup Ketchup
Approx 1/4 Cup Red Wine
Cumin
Chili Powder
Dried Basil
Dried Oregano
Pinch of Salt

Directions:
1. In a Crock-Pot on low heat, add garlic, chopped onion and bag of Crumblers. Cover with a layer of chili powder (about 2 Tbs) and sprinkle in cumin (about 2 tsp), oregano (about 1 Tbs) & basil (about 1/2 Tbs). Stir.
2. Add diced tomatoes, beans & corn, including all of the juices in the cans. Add tomato paste, wine & ketchup. Stir.
3. Add a pinch of salt and a couple more shakes of cumin, chili powder & oregano.
4. Let cook on Low for 5-7 hours or high for 3-4. Stir occasionally (if you're home), and add more spices, wine or ketchup to taste, if desired.
5. Serve topped with shredded cheddar.

/tk
Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #33
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Roasted Poblano Pepper & Sweet Potato Salad (from Budget Bytes)
**This also works really well as a burrito or enchilada filling. I use the red enchilada sauce with it.

INGREDIENTS:
2 large (about 2.5 lbs.) sweet potatoes
2 large poblano peppers
one 14 oz. can black beans
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1/4, diced red onion (optional)
1 medium lime
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 bunch cilantro
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt

STEP 1: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees on the broiler setting. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray your poblanos with non-stick spray. Place the baking sheet with the peppers about 4 inches below the broiler coils(this is the second rack level on my oven). Roast the peppers under the broiler for 15 minutes on one side, flip them over then broil for another 5 minutes on the other side. You want the skin on the peppers to be all blistered and blackened. This will give them a nice smokey flavor. Don't worry, you will be peeling away the charred skin.
STEP 2: While the peppers are roasting, peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into even chunks about one inch square. Place the chunks in a bowl and toss them together with 3 Tbsp of olive oil, 2 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp of salt and about half a bunch of chopped cilantro leaves. Mix it all up until the sweet potato chunks are well coated. The peppers should be done roasting at this point.
STEP 3: When the peppers come out of the oven, put them into a resealable freezer bag and let them cool. The peppers will steam themselves in the bag as they cool allowing you to easily peel away the skin.
STEP 4: Turn the oven from broil to bake (still on 400 degrees), pour out the bowl of sweet potato chunks onto the baking sheet that was used for the peppers, and roast the sweet potatoes for 30 minutes. Stir the chunks half way through.
STEP 5: Drain and rinse the can of black beans. Thaw one cup of frozen corn kernels. Finely chop 1/4 of a red onion (if desired). Put the beans, corn and onion together in a bowl. When the poblanos have cooled, peel off their skin, open them up to remove the seeds, seed pod and stem then cut the flesh into chunks. Put the chopped poblanos in the bowl with the other vegetables.
STEP 6: When the sweet potatoes are done, let them cool for about 10 minutes. In the mean time, chop the other half of the cilantro, and juice the lime. Mix the sweet potatoes, cilantro and lime together with the rest of the ingredients and serve. This dish can be eaten warm or cold!

Creamy Macaroni & Cheese (America's Test Kitchen)
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon salt
1 pound elbow, shell or other bite-size shaped pasta
2 (12 fluid ounce) cans evaporated milk
1 cup broth
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
1 pound grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
1. Bring 2 quarts of water to boil in large soup kettle. Add salt and pasta. Using package directions as a guide, cook until al dente. Drain. To prevent sticking, drain and immediately pour onto a large lipped baking sheet and let cool while preparing sauce.
2. Meanwhile, microwave the milk and broth in a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup or bowl until hot and steamy (not boiling). Melt butter in the empty pasta pot; whisk in flour, then hot milk mixture. Continue to whisk until thick and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in mustard, Parmesan and pepper. Turn off heat, stir in cheddar until melted.
3. Add drained pasta (and optional flavoring ingredients, see notes) to sauce, and stir until everything is well combined over low heat. Stir to heat through, and thin with a little water if the sauce is too thick. Serve hot.

Tagliatelle with Chickpeas
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1/2 medium yellow onion
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for drizzling at the end
1 medium clove garlic
1–2 sprigs fresh rosemary
1 pound fresh tomatoes
Salt
1.5 cups canned chickpeas, drained
Freshly ground black pepper
10 ounces dried egg tagliatelle

Instructions:
1. Fill a pot for the pasta with about 6 quarts of water, place over high heat and bring to a boil.
2. Peel the onion and finely chop it. Put it and the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet and place over medium-high heat. Sauté until the onion turns a rich golden color, about 5 minutes.
3. While the onion is sautéing, peel the garlic and finely chop it. Finely chop enough rosemary to measure 1 teaspoon. Peel the tomatoes and coarsely chop them.
4. When the onion is ready, add the garlic and rosemary. Sauté for 10 to 15 seconds, then add the tomatoes. Season lightly with salt and cook until most of the liquid the tomatoes release has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add the chickpeas, season with pepper and again lightly with salt, and cook for 5 more minutes. Scoop out about half the chickpeas and puree them. A food mill will produce a smoother texture, but if you don’t have one you can use a food processor. Mix the pureed chickpeas into the sauce and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Once the pureed chickpeas are back in the pan, add about 2 tablespoons salt to the boiling pasta water, add the tagliatelle, and stir until all the strands are submerged. Cook until al dente.
6. After the pasta has cooked about 2 minutes, mix 2 tablespoons of the pasta water into the sauce. When the pasta is done, drain well and toss with the sauce. Drizzle a little olive oil and grind some black pepper over each portion and serve at once
**This works really well as a dip, too, if you skip the pasta and puree everything. You may need to increase the liquid a little.

Smokin' Meat-less Hoppin' John
Ingredients:
2 cups dried black-eyed peas, soaked in enough water to cover, for at least two hours, and drained. See Plan B and C for frozen and canned options
1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil?
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste?
1 cup medium or long-grain rice
water or stock of choice?

Method:
In a large stockpot, add peas and enough liquid -- about one inch above beans -- and bring up to a lively simmer. Cook at a boil for a five minutes, then reduce heat, cover and simmer, until beans have arrived at desired tenderness. This could take a minimum of 35 minutes and a maximum of one hour. Season with salt, about 1 teaspoon. Add minced chipotle. For smokier results, substitute with ½ teaspoon smoked salt.
Add rice, plus 1 additional cup of liquid, return lid, and cook for 20 minutes over low-medium heat, without lifting lid.
Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion and garlic until softened and golden, 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and if you're craving even more smoke, try about ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper.
Lift lid of bean pot. Rice and peas should be moist, with but not super soupy. Add skillet mixture. Stir to combine and taste for salt and other seasonings. Add more smoked salt if desired.

Plan B: Frozen peas: Cook onions and garlic in deep pot until soft and golden, season accordingly, then add frozen peas, plus just enough water to cover. Bring up to a simmer, then cook over low-medium heat. Add chipotle chiles. For extra flavor, add a few glugs of your favorite beer. Cook until warmed through, then proceed with rice step.
Plan C: Canned peas: This is my least favorite option, as the quality of canned peas greatly varies from brand to brand and canned peas generally are stripped of their meaty characteristics. However, I found Eden Organic to be free of salt and minimal canned "goop," making this an acceptable fall-back option. Cook these just like the frozen peas, but instead of water, add something more flavorful, like stock or beer. Cook rice separately and combine with peas just before serving.
Makes enough for six bowls' worth.

Pumpkin, Packed with Bread and Cheese
Ingredients:
1 pumpkin, about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds
4 ounces stale bread, sliced thin, then cut into 1/2-inch chunks
4 ounces cheese, such as Gruyere, Swiss, Blue, Cheddar or a combination, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
2-4 cloves garlic (to taste), peeled, germ removed and coarsely chopped
About 1/3 cup heavy cream
Freshly grated nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Things that could be added:
delicata squash instead of pumpkin
veggie sausage
onions
apple
mushrooms
pine nuts
walnuts
cornbread instead of regular bread?

Directions:
Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Either line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat or find a Dutch oven that's the same diameter as the pumpkin. (If you bake the pumpkin in a casserole, it will keep its shape, but it will also stick to the casserole, so you'll have to serve it from the pot, which is a rustic, appealingly homey way to serve it. If you bake it on a sheet, you can present it free-standing, if it doesn't collapse in the oven. I was lucky this time, but when I make it again tonight with a larger pumpkin, I'm not going to push my luck - I'm going to put it in a Dutch oven.)
Using a very sturdy knife, cut a cap off the top of the pumpkin. This isn't an easy job - I went around the top of the pumpkin with my knife at a 45-degree angle to get a nice size cap. Clear away any seeds and strings from the cap and hold it aside while you scoop out the seeds and filaments inside the pumpkin. (Hold onto this goop -- you can separate the seeds from the filaments and roast them.) Season the inside of the pumpkin with salt and pepper and put it on the sheet or in the casserole.
Now you have a choice, you can either toss the bread, cheese and garlic together in a bowl, then pack it into the pumpkin, or you can alternate layers of bread and cheese and scatter the garlic here and there. (I mixed everything together.) Either way, the filling should go into the pumpkin and fill it well. You might have a little too much filling or you might need to add to it -- it's hard to give exact amounts. Season the cream with salt, pepper and several gratings of fresh nutmeg and pour the cream into the pumpkin. Again, you might have too much or too little. You don't want the ingredients to swim in cream, but you do want to get a feeling that they're moistened.
Put the cap back in place and bake the pumpkin for about 2 hours -- check after 90 minutes -- or until everything inside the pumpkin is bubbly and the flesh of the pumpkin is tender enough to be pierced easily with the tip of a knife. I removed the cap during the last 20 minutes or so of baking so that the top could brown.
Caution: If you want to spoon out the pumpkin and the filling or try mixing it, you better bake the pumpkin in a casserole because you'll need to support the sides.

/tk
Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #34
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Smoky Slow-Cooked Roman Beans
Roman beans, also called borlotti or cranberry beans, turn a lovely pink in this preparation. Northern, kidney or black beans will work, too.
The truffle oil lends a bit of body and mystery; you'd swear there was bacon in these beans even though there isn't any. For a spicier dish, leave the seeds in the dried peppers.
The beans can be made up to 2 days in advance (and frozen, if desired). Reheat in the microwave or on the stove.

12 servings
189 calories, 1g fat, n/a saturated fat, n/a cholesterol, 254mg sodium, 39g carbohydrates, 7g dietary fiber, 9g protein.

Ingredients:
1 pound dried Roman beans, such as Goya brand
2 dried pasilla or ancho chili peppers
1 large onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
3 tablespoons chopped garlic (2 to 3 medium cloves)
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1 tablespoon truffle oil (optional)
1/2 cup honey
1 medium jalapeño pepper, stemmed and cut in half lengthwise; seeded for milder beans
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 tablespoon powdered mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon smoky seasoning, such as Liquid Smoke
1 cup water, plus more as needed

Directions:
1. Soak the beans in cold water overnight. Drain and rinse them, discarding any foreign matter.
2. Bring a large pot of unsalted water to a boil over high heat; add the drained beans and cook for about 10 minutes, until almost tender (the beans will not be quite cooked through). Drain and place the beans in a 4- or 6-quart slow cooker.
3. Hold the dried peppers by their stems and suspend them over a low flame until they puff and char slightly. (This will take just a few seconds.) Cut off the stems and discard. Pour out and discard the seeds; add the dried peppers (whole) to the cooker. Add the onion, garlic, espresso powder, truffle oil if using, honey, jalapeño pepper, bay leaf, thyme, powdered mustard, salt, ketchup, smoky seasoning and water.
4. Cover and cook the beans on low for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. The beans should still be slightly firm; cook them longer, if desired. If you prefer beans with more liquid, add water (or leftover brewed coffee) near the end of cooking. Discard the bay leaf before serving.

White Bean Cassoulet (from Vegan Planet)
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
2 medium-size carrots, thinly sliced
2 small parsnips, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon mellow white miso pasted dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot (not boiling) water
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 cups cooked or two 15-ounce cans Great Northern, navy, or other white bean, drained and rinsed
One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained and chopped
2 cups vegetable stock/broth
1/2 cup dry toasted bread crumbs (optional, I don't use them)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves (optional)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 deg F. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and parsnips. Cover and cook until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2. Blend the mustard into the miso mixture and stir it into the vegetables. Add the thyme, marjoram, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
3. Place the beans and tomatoes in a lightly oiled casserole dish. Add the vegetable mixture and enough stock to just cover the ingredients, stirring to combine.
4. Cover and bake until the vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from oven and discard the bay leaf. Sprinkle with the bread crumbs and parsley and serve hot.

/tk
Old 05-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #35
korme
Go Reds

Thanks kristin!