Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2020, 09:32 AM   #351
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Sorry to hear that PM.

Is the furlough scheme in the US similar to here, in that you are guaranteed a percentage of salary up, to a maximum level?

No, there is no protection here. Basically, I will keep my place in line at the airline, and if say, the date of furlough is Oct 1, which I expect it will be, then on that date I will no longer be employed by them, and I'll be just like the other 33 million people waiting in line at unemployment, losing my family health insurance, life insurance, etc. Some furloughs can last months, some years. There's no guarantee you'll come back, but everyone who has ever been furloughed in aviation has always had a chance at some point. There might be other opportunities along the way that change things, but that is the reality that I know at this point in time.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #352
AlexB
Pro Starter

Ouch, that’s rough. Try to stay positive, and maybe follow the example of one of your nemeses in Brian Swartz and look for outside the box opportunities?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 03:04 PM   #353
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I have to say in all fairness it's a lot easier for me. I'm not supporting a family and before the pandemic I made less than 20% above minimum wage. I wasn't an airplane pilot, to put it mildly.

Definitely encouraging alternative solutions for anyone who can find them, but on my side I've informed my former employer that I won't be coming back. For me it's ending up a straight upgrade in career. For others … that won't be so easy to come by.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #354
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I can't really vent this anywhere else safely, so you're stuck with it:

Being adopted led to me "inheriting" an awful lot of relatives that are dumb as @#$^#% fenceposts.

Under the current stress load, that makes social media like walking through a minefield ... especially given that I'm regularly in the mood to just throw rocks at any mines I see.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:22 PM   #355
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I can't really vent this anywhere else safely, so you're stuck with it:

Being adopted led to me "inheriting" an awful lot of relatives that are dumb as @#$^#% fenceposts.

Under the current stress load, that makes social media like walking through a minefield ... especially given that I'm regularly in the mood to just throw rocks at any mines I see.

*pat pats*

Yeah that's tough.

I have kept myself from posting on walls of dumb piece of shit posts from FB friends.

In the end I just post things I believe and like on my own wall and not woory about what other people think about that. If they wanna unfriend me they are welcome to.

I've unfriended some just because they never talk to me and when I DO see their posts it makes me unhappy. There is no point in adding stress/unhappiness in my life when there is already plenty
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:01 PM   #356
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Putting this in mental health thread (pulling from my personal FB) cause, by God, this was easily one of the best mental health boosts I've had in quite a while.

Quote:
Nothing but high marks from me for Texas Roadhouse on their first day returning to seated customers.

Amazing job from start to finish, as close to a "normal" experience as I imagine is possible. From the people coming up with their procedures to the boots on the ground executing those plans, a standing ovation wouldn't be overdoing it.

Considering what absolute disasters two previous (just takeout) "day ones" had been, this might not be transformative but it sure was good to have a positive experience for a change.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-04-2020 at 05:01 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:43 PM   #357
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Putting this in mental health thread (pulling from my personal FB) cause, by God, this was easily one of the best mental health boosts I've had in quite a while.

Considering what absolute disasters two previous (just takeout) "day ones" had been, this might not be transformative but it sure was good to have a positive experience for a change.

now if only they could actually make a steak that didn't taste and feel like the bottom of a shoe

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 05-05-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:04 PM   #358
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
now if only they could actually make a steak that didn't taste and feel like the bottom of a show

They're reasonable solid here, on par with anyone else in the tier below Longhorn/Outback.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #359
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
They're reasonable solid here, on par with anyone else in the tier below Longhorn/Outback.

I'm in the midwest which gets all the other states' food rejects...
Old 05-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #360
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Down to 9 rolls of toilet paper, so I decided to go online to see how Amazon was doing. 48 roles of Seventh Generation T.P. for $30. Well that's cheaper than the local Kroger (which apparently did not have an Cottonelle and no substitutes during pickup). And it can be delivered by a week from Wednesday? Sold!

That's way more TP than we'll need, but I guess better to have some in spare.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #361
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Here in the Lehigh Valley, I think we've gotten a little lazy.

The warm weather was nice, I did yard work, killed a hornet's nest, and the boys and I enjoyed the hot tub on the deck.

Now the cold is settling in again.

The teens are finishing up freshman semester (I say teens because my daughter and girlfriend have been living with us - fortunately the house is big enough to accommodate).

We are fully stocked and have plenty of TP. The internet hasn't gotten too jumpy with four laptops, and Ipad and tv on (we only have netflex, hulu and amazon prime).

The boys at 8 and 4 are a little friend deprived, but have managed well.

I work 2 to 3 days a week on-site and the rest remote, it's been nice, my commute is 9 miles as it is, so that hasn't been an issue and frankly I want to be seen and heard so if there are cuts I get some credit for being there.

Wife is having a tougher time, and I haven't been great with her with handling it.

In the end, I'm good and hope the rest of the family handles it as best they can.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #362
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Saw someone on my towns facebook page claiming we have to reopen because all the suicides that will happen are going to be worse than the virus. Now I would never ever minimize suicide or anyone struggling with mental health issues, my BIL committed suicide and I helped raise my niece and nephews from the time they were 2. I full well know the effects. That being said we are approaching 70K Covid deaths. There is zero chance we are even close to that many suicides caused by shelter in place.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 01:56 PM   #363
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
There is zero chance we are even close to that many suicides caused by shelter in place.

The fairly long-standing expectation is that for every 1% rise in unemployment, there is a roughly corresponding 1% rise in suicides.

If the restrictions lead to the 20-30 unemployment rate that some predict, that would equate to a five figure increase in suicides alone.

And the associated deaths from unemployment increases - which include a significant increase in heart attack deaths and homicides - is close to 40,000 _per each additional percent of unemployment_. (“Corporate Flight: The Causes and Consequences of Economic Dislocation” by Barry Bluestone, Bennett Harrison and Lawrence Baker")

So yes, the deaths via "cure" are quite likely to dwarf the virus itself.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #364
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The fairly long-standing expectation is that for every 1% rise in unemployment, there is a roughly corresponding 1% rise in suicides.

If the restrictions lead to the 20-30 unemployment rate that some predict, that would equate to a five figure increase in suicides alone.

And the associated deaths from unemployment increases - which include a significant increase in heart attack deaths and homicides - is close to 40,000 _per each additional percent of unemployment_. (“Corporate Flight: The Causes and Consequences of Economic Dislocation” by Barry Bluestone, Bennett Harrison and Lawrence Baker")

So yes, the deaths via "cure" are quite likely to dwarf the virus itself.

and what about the people who suffer mental health issues from losing loved ones they wouldn't have lost had we not reopened? Not to mention the tens of thousands that we will lose from reopening?

I mean, is anyone actively denying reopening won't cost more lives? Most of the arguments I see are we have to accept a certain casualty rate.
Old 05-05-2020, 02:16 PM   #365
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I mean, is anyone actively denying reopening won't cost more lives?

Depends upon what sources you find credible I suppose. I'll simply say that, yes, some of us fervently believe that the cost has already exceeded any supposed benefit and that every day's delay is costing even more lives in the long run.

And I think we should probably leave it there in this thread, rather than continue with a derailment that neither of us intended. Do as you will, but on this sub-topic, I'm gonna bail. Nothing personal, I just feel like I've hit my comfort level for playing a part in sending this thread off the rails.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #366
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

There are days where normal is almost reachable.

This is not one of them.

Just kinda out of it mentally, didn't eat much except a handful of chex mix throughout the day (not physically sick, but no energy etcetera), and my brain decided that it was time for one of those super extra-fun-dreams. With death and destruction on a level that Wes Craven would go "Ok, that's a bit much", to the point of absurdity.

Then the hours afterwards where you're trying to sleep and telling your brain "Don't take me back into that nightmare", and the brain shrugs and says "Well, that's all I had for you. NO SLEEP FOR YOU"
Old 05-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #367
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hang in there, Fozzie I've found that putting a football game on in the background allows me to distract myself to sleep. Might be worth a try for you.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:21 PM   #368
PilotMan
Head Coach

My wife got into the habit of putting Disney movies on. You know them already, you won't watch them. They rarely have loud noises, aren't scary, and provide some sort of comfort. She's gone through Moana, Frozen, Happy Feet, Bedtime Stories, Hercules and the Secret Life of Pets. I love the first Wreck it Ralph. John C Reilly's voice is very soothing to me.

I'm pulling for you Foz. Today's a bad day for me too. I'm smoking a pork shoulder, which is normally one of my favorite things to do, but I can't seem to find anything to put a smile on my face today.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #369
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Hang in there, Fozzie I've found that putting a football game on in the background allows me to distract myself to sleep. Might be worth a try for you.

I've used episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 to go to sleep. May I recommend the episode that features a German production of "Hamlet".
Old 05-07-2020, 01:20 PM   #370
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I used to fall asleep to the TV every night. Sportscenter, a late game, whatever. Since this started I haven't once put the TV on when I sleep.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:55 PM   #371
Kodos
Resident Alien

What happens to me is I wake up, my mind starts working on something, and then I move to the family room and put on a game. It usually works pretty quickly. I try to choose soothing announcers over, say, the current MNF team. Al Michaels/Cris Collinsworth is the best for me.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #372
Edward64
Head Coach

When I have difficulty sleeping, I just drink whisky/gin while watching TV or playing the early turns in Civ 6.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #373
tarcone
Coordinator

To fall aslepp, I put a comedy special on my ipad. Put one ear phone in and turn on the side I like to sleep.

If I struggle to fall asleep the comedy is a great distraction. And I love comedy.

netflix and Prime have tons of specials. They are an hour long, so you know if you havent slept and its time to walk a bit. But I havent gotten that far very often if ever.

Comedy is the great insomnia helper.

Good luck Foz.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #374
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Thanks, doing a bit better now. Of course, this means I start my day at 6:00 Pm but that is somewhat close to normal for me :P
Old 05-07-2020, 04:55 PM   #375
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

dola:

I used to only be able to sleep if a game was on. It would distract my mind from the process of actually falling asleep.

Over the last few years, I somehow transitioned to needing complete silence/dark around me to fall asleep. The problem is that my mind still wants to run during that time, and when you're fighting off recent/vivid dreams/nightmares it's got a lot of fuel to run on.

To use a nautical example, I need a calm placid sea to fall asleep. What I was dealing with was the after effects of a virtual hurricane (the nightmare) still causing choppy waters)
Old 05-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #376
AlexB
Pro Starter

I found something similar with the silence, but found that it was more of a familiarity and routine I was after (as an ex-metalhead I also have a bit of tinnitus)

I ended up getting a unit that isn’t an alarm clock, but just mimics the sounds of a fan (bear with me here!) which gives a constant background noise to drown out unexpected outside influences, which ultimately becomes a soothing sound to fall asleep to, and somehow eases the tinnitus too.

Maybe worth a look?
Old 05-07-2020, 05:37 PM   #377
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I have bad tinnitus. Constant ringing. There is a great app called calm that helps a lot. I recommend anyone checking it out.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:38 PM   #378
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
When I have difficulty sleeping, I just drink whisky/gin while watching TV or playing the early turns in Civ 6.

I do this also. I find if I go to sleep when my wife does, between ten and eleven I am fine. If I stay up past her I end up playing online poker and drinking way more until 2AM. Then I feel like hell the next day.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:48 PM   #379
bhlloy
Coordinator

Can sympathize with this Foz - had the first serious nightmare and mostly sleepless night I've had in a very long time last weekend, followed up by a semi rough night with smaller episodes the night after. The first night was so bad I ended up with a stress migraine that I couldn't get rid of with any painkiller in the house for most of the next day.

They are usually pretty few and far between for me (like every couple years at most), but this situation clearly hasn't helped. I'm NDA'd for a pretty impactful project at work and even though I'm not remotely stressed about it, that was apparently enough nightmare fuel in the current situation to allow my brain to get to work.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:50 PM   #380
AlexB
Pro Starter

This is a link to the thing I use just in case of interest to anyone else

Sleep Sound and White Noise Machines - Sound of Sleep
Old 05-07-2020, 06:04 PM   #381
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I actually use the sound of my computer (fan) as white noise. But yeah, probably a sleep machine would use less electricity
Old 05-08-2020, 08:26 AM   #382
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well last night was weird. Fell asleep around 1030p, woke up (minus one brief interruption around midnight) at about 830a. That's rare stuff for me.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:35 AM   #383
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I completely lost my shit on my son over a blueberry waffle this morning, so yeah, things going well over here.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #384
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I completely lost my shit on my son over a blueberry waffle this morning, so yeah, things going well over here.

It happens. To damned near everybody.

For me it was the cat who tried to trip me three times in a matter of about five minutes Wednesday.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:20 AM   #385
Kodos
Resident Alien

Cats just love to get under your feet, or right behind you when you're reaching up into a cabinet.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #386
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Cats just love to get under your feet, or right behind you when you're reaching up into a cabinet.

Mine does NOT understand that my balance isn't what it used to be, and has been trying to kill me for several years now.

And the feeling of "almostfallingohshitwhewthatwasclose" gets kinda old after a while.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:44 AM   #387
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

It's like they were trained by people that run out in front of cars for the insurance money
Old 05-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #388
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ain't necessarily 'mental health' but in Atlanta, the low temps for tonight and tomorrow is 40F, which is a complete WTF for May 8th.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #389
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Ain't necessarily 'mental health' but in Atlanta, the low temps for tonight and tomorrow is 40F, which is a complete WTF for May 8th.

I saw there may be significant snowfall for parts in NE
Old 05-09-2020, 10:27 AM   #390
tarcone
Coordinator

Just got an email from the state organization i am a member of. They are saying that schools may be cancelling PE and Band programs next year.

That means I could be out of a job. Just what i need, more stress in my life.

Is this over yet?

Old 05-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #391
stevew
Hall Of Famer

luckily I found some wood pellets for my burner cause it’s supposed to be in the 30s all day
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:42 PM   #392
miami_fan
Coordinator

Today was a pretty good day. I was part of a group that put on two “graduation” ceremonies for seniors from the local high school. One for our subdivision and one for the subdivision next door. We had a total of 104 kids that took part. They got to don their cap and gowns, walk across a portable stage to the tune of Pomp and Circumstance, received a “diploma” from a member of the school board, and get some professional photos done with their families. Those that attended seemed to enjoy themselves. It was really cool to see the kids cheering for each other as their names were called to walk the stage.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #393
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

feeling today

why won't it stop
Old 05-12-2020, 10:20 PM   #394
Edward64
Head Coach

Finally successfully got some takeout from a Thai restaurant. It's been 5-6 weeks since we've eaten from an asian restaurant and it was great.

We have tried to order a couple times from asian restaurants before but they were either closed or phone kept on ringing (e.g. probably didn't know/want to setup with GrubHub).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:28 PM   #395
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

mmmmmmmmmmmm thai
Old 05-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #396
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Max Power ALWAYS eats Thai food!
Old 05-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #397
bob
College Starter

Just posted in the summer plans thread, but decided to post here as well. Not that we expected otherwise, but Monday and Tuesday brought a deluge of cancellations for summer plans. Again, none of this was unexpected, but I think the rapid fire emails about this cancellation and that cancellation has me down today.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #398
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've seen various & sundry people mention the added stress that social media seems to be causing them, so I'm gonna share a thought fwiw: it's okay to take a day off.

Yesterday turned out to be largely disconnected from the world outside my batcave. With only a couple of exceptions to let friends vent about their own situations, I basically played Stellaris for 12 hours.

And that's okay.

We have to make sure we give ourselves permission to take those breaks (even if I have been dealing today with a literal stranger bitching at me cause I failed to update my weekly spotify playlist in a fashion timely enough to suit him)
Old 05-13-2020, 03:18 PM   #399
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I've seen various & sundry people mention the added stress that social media seems to be causing them, so I'm gonna share a thought fwiw: it's okay to take a day off.

Yesterday turned out to be largely disconnected from the world outside my batcave. With only a couple of exceptions to let friends vent about their own situations, I basically played Stellaris for 12 hours.

And that's okay.

We have to make sure we give ourselves permission to take those breaks (even if I have been dealing today with a literal stranger bitching at me cause I failed to update my weekly spotify playlist in a fashion timely enough to suit him)

Well said and it probably needs to be repeated a bit more often. If it is possible for you to avoid social media, take the opportunity to do so.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #400
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

And that's okay.

I never watch the news or go to web sites about the news or visit the Trump thread or Covid thread here on the weekends. I just shut it out. Dont need it dont want it.