Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
BigDPW
College Prospect

Super Mega Baseball 3

Not sure how many of you guys have played the SMB series but as someone who is new to SMB series (I have recently tried the demo on PS4, PC, and Switch) and would like to play with my boys here at home for fun and probably enjoy some franchise also which would you think would be the best route to go for my purchase PS4 vs PC?

I assume the only major benefit to PC would be mod possibilities (not sure how common this was for SMB2) and since I have a gaming PC some graphical improvements also? Any benefits to getting PC other than that? I would need to get another controller for PC (or figure out how to use the PS4 controllers with the PC) to play with the kids.

Would love to hear your opinions. As a father of 13yo and 11yo sons the demo may be the most fun we have had gaming together since they were younger and we would play Lego games (Super Heroes, Star Wars, etc). Recently we have only been playing Star Wars Battlefront 2 together. A sports game with this humor and simplicity is refreshing.

BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
BigDPW
College Prospect

I ended up buying on PC/Steam. The kids and I are loving the game. They get a huge kick out of the humor - player names, etc.

I also love the Ego system that allows me to change the difficulty with the movement of one setting (1-99) for each player so we can balance the game between us. The coop mode is pretty cool also.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #3
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Was thinking about it, but the $45 price tag holding me back a bit...not because a bad game, just not sure I would play it enough.

Just curious with the MLB mod or in general, can you change the settings where you get realistic outcomes and stats? I know mainly arcade, but was hoping in the ballpark of being somewhat realistic....not needing it to be over the top like OOTP, just plausible.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Are you able to download other people's created teams?

I thought that was the one drawback of SMB2 (at least on PS4) because the create-a-team tool was super customizable. You could recreate real MLB teams or teams from NES games such as Baseball Stars but you couldn't simply download another person's creations.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I actually ended up playing more Super Mega Baseball than I have the Show in the last few years. The gameplay is more realistic and deep than it appears at first glance.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
I actually ended up playing more Super Mega Baseball than I have the Show in the last few years. The gameplay is more realistic and deep than it appears at first glance.

That's encouraging, can you elaborate? Game stats similar to major league? I am not too worried about the graphics, more interested in reasonable stat totals for a season and per game. I don't really want "arcade" outcomes.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:40 PM   #7
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
That's encouraging, can you elaborate? Game stats similar to major league? I am not too worried about the graphics, more interested in reasonable stat totals for a season and per game. I don't really want "arcade" outcomes.
I don't so much mean in terms of numbers, though they aren't always terrible. I do mean in terms of gameplay. It's tough to put into words but the game is just damn fun. Don't buy it if simulation is a huge aspect of what you're looking for though.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
I don't so much mean in terms of numbers, though they aren't always terrible. I do mean in terms of gameplay. It's tough to put into words but the game is just damn fun. Don't buy it if simulation is a huge aspect of what you're looking for though.

It really feels like a modern evolution of Baseball Stars. It's a great game, but as you mention, it's not replacing MLB The Show or OOTP in terms of realism or simulation.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:20 PM   #9
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

thanks for feedback....sounding like something i’ll pick up on a future sale
Old 05-18-2020, 07:16 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

I loved Super Mega Baseball 1. The $45 price tag on 3 gave me pause.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:10 PM   #11
Comey
College Starter

I love it. I'm getting destroyed (at 40 Ego) and I'm loving it.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #12
korme
Go Reds

I know it's a half serious, half silly baseball game and the demo and customization is a lot of fun but the fact that there is no career stat tracking holds me back. That might seem silly to some, but to me it's necessity.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:58 AM   #13
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Yep, I am in the same boat. I don't care if the graphics are cartoon, but I prefer a little more of the serious stuff when it comes to stats and such. Doesn't have to be OOTP level, just reasonable.