Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #301
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Trust, I feel the same way and the 'opener' drives me nuts. I am happy for the 3 batter minimum rule but there are still way too many pitching changes, to were you can almost count on seeing 4-5 pitchers every game.

I also wish MLB would come up with some type of functional rule to speed up at bats.
1-No pick off attempts
2-No stepping out of the batters box between pitches unless there is an injury and if you do it's a strike
3-15 seconds from the pitcher getting the ball to pitch or its a ball

Anything to get games down to around 2 1/2 hours.

I'm mostly ok with the opener as they appear to at least thrown an inning or two. If they only throw to 1 or 2 batters, something has gone horribly wrong.

Considering how hard it is to steal bases, I'm wondering about the pickoff idea. I'd need to flesh that idea out further, tho. How do you prevent runners from getting a running start on the way to 2B? I mean, I guess by letting them throw to 2nd? Oh, and throwing the damn ball.

I've harped on #2 for at least a decade. I think this is the single biggest thing that slows down the game. Watching replays of old games from the 70s or 80s - it's the single most noticeable thing. Like maybe a batter or two in the lineup has a little routine but there's not some giant choreographed thing that takes 30s between each pitch. I want to watch baseball, not preening.

#3 is basically the pitcher equivalent of this.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #302
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm mostly ok with the opener as they appear to at least thrown an inning or two. If they only throw to 1 or 2 batters, something has gone horribly wrong.

Considering how hard it is to steal bases, I'm wondering about the pickoff idea. I'd need to flesh that idea out further, tho. How do you prevent runners from getting a running start on the way to 2B? I mean, I guess by letting them throw to 2nd? Oh, and throwing the damn ball.

I've harped on #2 for at least a decade. I think this is the single biggest thing that slows down the game. Watching replays of old games from the 70s or 80s - it's the single most noticeable thing. Like maybe a batter or two in the lineup has a little routine but there's not some giant choreographed thing that takes 30s between each pitch. I want to watch baseball, not preening.

#3 is basically the pitcher equivalent of this.

SI

On #2 it is like everyone is like fricking Mike Hargrove now.

On the pickoff rule my way to implement would be this. The batter cannot leave the base to lead off until the pitcher has the ball and is on the rubber. This would have the added value of speeding up pitchers to prevent a huge leadoff or running start.

So in the framework of a 15 second pitch clock, pitcher gets the ball, clock starts, he can get the sign before getting on the rubber (say that takes 5-6 seconds) then he toes the rubber and pitches, 3-4 seconds, which will still hold the runner close enough that we won't see crazy SB numbers.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #303
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The news this morning about the delayed vote was the first time I really felt the season was in jeopardy of not even starting.

MLB 2020 season update: Where things stand with MLBPA set to vote on 60-game season Sunday - CBSSports.com

I think the season hinges on this vote. If the players reject it, the season is gone. Which is really unfortunate because, well, they've given so much more but the owners keep negotiating in bad faith.

And this is not to say the season will go off without a hitch. Far from it. But if this vote is negative, it won't even start.

SI

Old 06-29-2020, 02:48 PM   #304
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I believe Mike Leake is the first (and probably won't be the last) to opt out of the 2020 season:
Diamondbacks' Mike Leake becomes first known MLB player to opt-out of 2020 season - CBSSports.com

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-29-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:08 PM   #305
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yup, David Price opts out of the 2020 season. Saves the Red Sox $6 million. Saves the Dodgers $6 million too, but he won't pitch for them.

David Price Opts Out Of 2020 Season - MLB Trade Rumors
Old 07-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #306
Danny
Head Coach

Wouldn't be surprised to see more opt out during the season if testing positive etc..
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:01 PM   #307
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Freddy Freeman diagnosed with COVID. Even if he's fine and gets to start playing in a couple of weeks, he misses most of the training period and will most likely get a slow start to the season. Maybe with a veteran like Freeman, he can do with less practice, but there will be several cases coming up of players who will have significant effects on their performance.
We're not doing payouts with our fantasy baseball league this year, given that the results will almost be completely random with all the upcoming quarantines coming up.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #308
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
Freddy Freeman diagnosed with COVID. Even if he's fine and gets to start playing in a couple of weeks, he misses most of the training period and will most likely get a slow start to the season.

Basically the conversation I had with my kid over lunch. My guess is that the Braves are sunk by this randomness.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #309
PilotMan
Head Coach

This season is toast. Even if they get started, I don't see it finishing all 60 games. I think I'd opt out too if I was a player.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:40 PM   #310
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The scary thing about Freeman is that he isn't just a he tested positive but has no symptoms. His wife has said Freeman feels like he's been hit by a ton of bricks. I hope he is ok - as plenty of people who have survived have had some lung damage.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2020, 08:49 PM   #311
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The scary thing about Freeman is that he isn't just a he tested positive but has no symptoms. His wife has said Freeman feels like he's been hit by a ton of bricks. I hope he is ok - as plenty of people who have survived have had some lung damage.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Yeah, I saw he was in pretty rough shape ( I thought this only was bad for old people!)

I honestly will be shocked if he plays at all this season given what we have seen with regards to some peoples weight loss, limited lung capacity, etc...

It's a shame, I am a huge Mets fan but love Freeman, guy embodies what a ballplayer should be.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #312
JPhillips
General Manager

Looks like he'll be fine, but the line drive Tanaka took to the head today was really scary.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:44 PM   #313
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The scary thing about Freeman is that he isn't just a he tested positive but has no symptoms.

I thought he was symptomatic, but that the other guys tested positive were asymptomatic?

(I may have simply misread that, I'm just sayin I thought it was one vs the other with the 4 Braves)

edit to add: Found it, at least I didn't dream it Freeman's wife, Chelsea, posted on Twitter that he had "body aches, headaches, chills and a high fever.''

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-05-2020 at 05:46 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:12 PM   #314
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Nick Markakis is opting out, but what got me is Snit's press conference about it. I think Nick sitting out hit him more than Freddie being sick. There is some fear creeping in now that I don't think was there before that actually started camp.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:38 PM   #315
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

My bet on this season might be optimistic. I've been betting some team gets a big outbreak of positive tests within about 2 weeks of the season starting, panic ensues, and the season shuts down.

Might not even make it to the 24th before panic sets in at this rate.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-06-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #316
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
My bet on this season might be optimistic. I've been betting some team gets a big outbreak of positive tests within about 2 weeks of the season starting, panic ensues, and the season shuts down.

Might not even make it to the 24th before panic sets in at this rate.

I am being optimistic that because the positive rate is so much lower than basketball right now that these early tests will drive player to be more careful. But, I agree, all it is going to take is one big outbreak and they will shut it down, which is honestly the right call if we are talking 6-8 or more players on one team. Too many variables and the Us as a whole has not been cautious enough about this.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #317
bhlloy
Coordinator

First team withdraws from the MLS restart altogether (FC Dallas). Doubt they will be first across all sports, but at least MLB has the large roster/camp of 50 players so 8-10 positive tests wouldn’t necessarily be the end of the road.

How you stop a larger scale outbreak with where the US is right now though, I’m not sure. I wonder what the overall success rate is going to look across all leagues.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:50 PM   #318
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
First team withdraws from the MLS restart altogether (FC Dallas). Doubt they will be first across all sports, but at least MLB has the large roster/camp of 50 players so 8-10 positive tests wouldn’t necessarily be the end of the road.

How you stop a larger scale outbreak with where the US is right now though, I’m not sure. I wonder what the overall success rate is going to look across all leagues.
I don't think MLB is going to cancel the season, there's just too much money involved, but I could see 25-30% of name players dropping out and it being a full asterisk season.

The craziest part is that they seem convinced having a normal travel schedule makes sense even though you won't have fans at these games - even with private jets & teams who can have multiple planes/buses that seems like a recipe for disaster.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:52 PM   #319
JPhillips
General Manager

It's never going to be thought of as a real season, so MLB should have been more creative. Do a tournament or something and take the pressure of the World Series out of the equation.

(Yes, I know the whole point is TV/streaming playoff money, but I can dream.)
Old 07-06-2020, 10:07 PM   #320
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The whole thing is stupid and watching all of these sports preparing to play is like watching a slow motion train wreck. At no point since April has it felt like team sports in the US were really going to come back - or be able to play uninterrupted, if they forced games to start.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-06-2020 at 10:08 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:15 PM   #321
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The whole thing is stupid and watching all of these sports preparing to play is like watching a slow motion train wreck. At no point since April has it felt like team sports in the US were really going to come back - or be able to play uninterrupted, if they forced games to start.
I still think basketball & hockey could pull off a quick sprint playoff scenario in a bubble. Pro football's 1x/week game model & the amount of $$$ involved mean I think they can pull it off. College football? Not a chance unless you're willing to let players play with COVID and say yeah we really don't care if 100% of you get it at your age. Baseball? Maybe if they did it in a localized area, but involving travel? Not a chance.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:55 PM   #322
bhlloy
Coordinator

Basketball is the one I think could be in real trouble, let's say 2-3 of the better players on a single team get it, that team is basically done. A mild outbreak during the playoffs and it either significantly alters the whole thing beyond recognition or they just have to call it.

At least the Jazz know a couple of their starters are going to be OK
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:45 AM   #323
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Bringing back sports right now is super dumb, but dolla dolla bills, ya'll!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #324
Ksyrup

I was just reading about the potential for long-term damage to lungs in Covid patients. Generally, the more severe the infection, the worse the lung damage could be, but I have to imagine that in athletes, even a minor decrease in lung capacity/function could be the difference between having a job and not. I get that all of these sports are at least going to try (much in the same way we just decided to force-open the country mostly ahead of the federal guidance), but I will be shocked if it works.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-07-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #325
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So ... Yasiel Puig to the Braves (after an injury to Pache last night).

Historically, I've been more pro-Puig than anti. He's a pain in the ass headcase but at least he does show up in the post-season usually (more than a lot of Dodger bats can say).

However ... given the attitude issues already displayed by Acuna, I wouldn't want Puig within 1,000 miles of him.

Vegas will have to set the over/under high on the number of beanbrawl wars the Braves end up in.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:28 PM   #326
JPhillips
General Manager

Puig played hard in Cincy and immediately went out into the city to work and meet people. The Reds don't need yet another outfielder, but he was great in terms of being a team player.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #327
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Puig played hard in Cincy and immediately went out into the city to work and meet people. The Reds don't need yet another outfielder, but he was great in terms of being a team player.

I'm just so down on Acuna as a mature human being that, if there's anything negative to pull from something, I expect he'll find it.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:47 PM   #328
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I think Puig was more a Markakis replacement. I don't think Pache is that hurt, they just would rather not have to depend on him too much. The Braves did need another bat for the DH slot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #329
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I think Puig was more a Markakis replacement. I don't think Pache is that hurt, they just would rather not have to depend on him too much. The Braves did need another bat for the DH slot.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The implication, as I took it, was that it opened up an OF / roster spot. Not so much about production, just about the spot itself
Old 07-14-2020, 05:31 PM   #330
PilotMan
Head Coach

Puig is the fucking bomb of a person. Love that guy. He's hot headed, hell yeah, but he was what the young Reds team needed. He kind of got lost in Cleveland, but he's fantastic for the community and a leader.

Like Steam?

Old 07-15-2020, 07:22 PM   #331
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's sortof baseball, if you squint

Royals Summer Camp Intrasquad Game: 7/15/20 - YouTube

SI

Old 07-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #332
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well the Puig to the Braves thing was all for naught. He tested positive for COVID 19 and won't be signed by the Braves.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #333
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Doesn’t feel like opening day is in six days.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #334
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Like I get the bubble tournaments. MLS is Back has gotten pretty well after a rough start with a couple teams with outbreaks. I think NBA will go the same way (and I think the NBA has done better with pre tourney testing and isolation).

But traveling back and forth across the country? I don't see how that works well.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:39 PM   #335
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It's sortof baseball, if you squint

That's a really good phrase to describe the unfortunate look/sound of the Braves podcast team attempting to do pbp.

A clip from that first game happened to roll through the kid's YT viewing last night (otherwise I wouldn't have seen it). The first play summed it up: CF camera view from behind the pitcher, batter rips a line drive down the left field line for an eventual double .... the camera shot never changed, we just stared at home plate the entire play.

That was so painfully awful that they'd be much better served to not air this shit at all.
Old 07-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #336
Arles
Grey Dog Software

MLB COVID-19 testing results show small number of positives one week before 2020 Opening Day - CBSSports.com

Pretty crazy, 10,548 samples were collected recently from MLB players and coaches and just 6 tested positive.
Old 07-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #337
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So where are the Jays going to play? Buffalo?
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:39 PM   #338
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I’m watching a live Reds’ intersquad game on MLB.tv. Cincy Ballers vs Fred’s Reds. The Ballers are wearing the Shamrock green alternate uniforms. It’s a bit surreal, with an empty Great American Ballpark, and ambient crowd noise in the background. The PA announcer does his usual thing, and if someone gets a base hit or makes a good defensive play, they dial up the cheers accordingly.

The camerawork is excellent, even with a skeleton crew. I can’t tell any difference in the multiple angles and replays from a normal telecast. Chris Welsh is doing all of the play by play by himself.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 07-18-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #339
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mookie!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #340
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Mookie!

He said with an audible sigh of relief and quiet satisfaction.

Like Steam?

Old 07-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #341
tarcone
Coordinator

Not going to deny that I had no idea why you guys were talking about Mookie Wilson. Then I saw what you were actually talking about. Age is a crazy thing.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #342
Ksyrup

20 years ago I ran 10 fantasy baseball teams at a time. In 2019 I couldn't name the 2nd starter on my favorite team and had never heard of a closer who had 30+ saves the previous 2 seasons. And I still bought Extra Innings every year for the past 15+ years (I canceled for this year even before the shutdown).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-22-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:35 PM   #343
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I do DFS baseball pretty heavy. Have a few high 4 figure tournament scores.

Fanduel is running a 3 million dollar tournament Friday. Entry is $3, so there are about 1.2 million entries. Rumor is there will be a huge overlay. Max entries is 150 per account. I will be in for the max for sure. Free money if the overlay comes through.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:47 PM   #344
molson
General Manager

Last edited by molson : 07-22-2020 at 11:47 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:55 AM   #345
Ksyrup

I didn't even remember Betts wasn't on Boston until this signing.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:20 AM   #346
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I do DFS baseball pretty heavy. Have a few high 4 figure tournament scores.

Fanduel is running a 3 million dollar tournament Friday. Entry is $3, so there are about 1.2 million entries. Rumor is there will be a huge overlay. Max entries is 150 per account. I will be in for the max for sure. Free money if the overlay comes through.

To do that many lineups are using some app/software to help generate the lineups and then upload them into FanDuel?
Old 07-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #347
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
To do that many lineups are using some app/software to help generate the lineups and then upload them into FanDuel?

Yeah. I use lineup HQ through rotogrinders and upload them through a CSV file. Then I go through the lineups and make any tweeks or adjustments. Also have to watch for starting lineups to come out and any weather issues. If the news is really late there is a quick player replace option. I take it pretty seriously and usually finish in the top 1-2% of the rotogrinders baseball rankings and top 7-8% for all sports. NBA drags me down and I have pretty much stopped doing it. Just can't crack the code.

I rarely max enter, usually I do about 20-30 entries so I will do those with paper and pencil. They have a million dollar contest tonight and I am doing 50 entries by hand.

Last edited by Lathum : 07-23-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #348
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Rumor is there will be a huge overlay.

Out of curiosity what does this mean?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #349
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Out of curiosity what does this mean?

So the prize pool is guaranteed 3 million dollars. Entry fee is $3 per lineup, so there is a total of 1,190,476 max entries. Reason it isn't an even million is the site keeps the rest, called the rake.

Anything under 1 million total entries and there are less total entries meaning free money.

Currently there are about 132,000 entries, that will go up a lot in the next day and a half, but lets say it only goes up to 700,000. That means there would be 2.1 million dollars in entry fees, but a 3 million dollar prize pool, resulting in 900,000 of free money since you are only competing against 700K lineups and not 1.2 million.

The top 300K get paid, min is $5 on a $3 entry, so if about 55% of your lineups cash you can make a decent profit.

Last edited by Lathum : 07-23-2020 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:10 AM   #350
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Mookie!

I feel like if I called someone that I should get punched.