Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2020, 11:56 AM   #401
JPhillips
General Manager

Shouldn't the whole team and staff for the Marlins be on 14 day quarantine?

With the Marlins, it's kind of who cares, but what happens when this happens to a playoff caliber team?
Old 07-27-2020, 12:04 PM   #402
molson
General Manager

Everybody's a playoff-caliber team this year, you only have to win what, maybe 25 out of 60 games to get there?

I think they're going to try to push ahead. Or I could see them postponing again and trying the bubble at domed stadiums and warm weather sites in October/November.

Last edited by molson : 07-27-2020 at 12:04 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #403
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The games are jam packed against each other already. If games start getting postponed (2 games postponed tonight), it's going to be hard to see how they can fit all the games in. Especially since they seem to really be wary of jamming in double headers due to concerns about injury.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:18 PM   #404
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Shouldn't the whole team and staff for the Marlins be on 14 day quarantine?

With the Marlins, it's kind of who cares, but what happens when this happens to a playoff caliber team?

Isn't this part of the reason why there is another 30 players who have been isolated?

As for the 14 day quarantine, I'm not sure since they have been tested and shouldn't that clear them? Perhaps by waiting another day you can get that second negative test that enables are positive player to return.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:24 PM   #405
JPhillips
General Manager

The problems are the time it takes to show enough virus to be positive and false negatives. Maybe 14 days is too long, but testing negative today and tomorrow I'm pretty sure isn't good enough.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #406
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I cannot believe that MLB and the Marlins allowed the players to decide if they were going to play yesterday with knowledge that 3-4 players had tested positive. One would think that would have been Rule #1 once a positive test occurred - the league decides what happens. That Don Mattingly and the players voted on whether to play is ridiculous.

How could they leave it to the players? Is the NFL going to go back to the old "do you have a concussion" test to decide is a player can go back into a game?

What a joke.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #407
Jas_lov
College Starter

I wonder if they've considered having the Yankees play the Orioles Tues-Thurs and change the schedule later. Might as well quarantine Philly and Miami until Friday at least.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #408
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

After the Mets 976-1 loss last night I think I am good with the season being nuked.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #409
Ksyrup

The fact that the Marlins basically let their SS decide whether to play - and that he said yes in the midst of a 7-for-10 start to the season... purely coincidence, I'm sure.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-27-2020, 02:11 PM   #410
cuervo72
Head Coach

Just keep reshuffling the schedule and eventually declare the last team to sustain an outbreak the champion.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #411
PilotMan
Head Coach

Man, Kimbrel did not have a good night tonight. Dude comes in with a 3 run lead, walks 4 and hits 1, leaves with the winning run on 2nd and one out. Reds were down 8-1 at one point.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:19 PM   #412
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Kimbrel wasn't very good last year, either. He was spectacularly bad tonight.

Cubs need a closer bad. Kimbrel hasn't had it since he came to Chicago.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #413
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ESPN reporting majority of Nationals players have voted against travelling to Florida to play their weekend series vs the Marlins. If this is how it is going to be just pull the plug on the season. An outbreak for one team has now effected 5 different teams.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:29 PM   #414
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
ESPN reporting majority of Nationals players have voted against travelling to Florida to play their weekend series vs the Marlins. If this is how it is going to be just pull the plug on the season. An outbreak for one team has now effected 5 different teams.
Meh, let's just wait and see what Miguel Rojas thinks.

Also, oh hey, reportedly a CBP visiting clubhouse staff member tested positive in a previous round of testing over the weekend.

The more I see of this the more MLB is negligent. (To no one's surprise.) inquirer.com/phillies/miami-marlins-coronavirus-outbreak-phillies-mlb-season-20200727.html
Quote:
“There was testing on Friday, one positive on Saturday, testing again on Saturday, and the three additional positives on Sunday,” MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said on MLB Network. “What then happened, under the protocols, was we did contact tracing on all four positives. There were, I think, a small number of players who met the CDC guidelines. They were quarantined. We did additional testing. We did symptom checks. We did temperature checks and decided to proceed with the game on Sunday.”

The operations manual says that after a player tests positive for COVID-19, the club must conduct contact tracing to identify the individuals who had close contact with the infected individual. The Marlins flew together to Philadelphia from Atlanta, traveled by bus to a Center City hotel, traveled by bus to the ballpark, dressed in the clubhouse, and sat in the dugout.
I'm no CDC expert, but you know who should have been quarantined pending testing? EVERYONE WHO WAS ON A PLANE AND IN A CLUBHOUSE TOGETHER WITH THE INFECTED PEOPLE.

The one silver lining I'm seeing is that none of the Phillies have tested positive even though it's basically a guarantee they played a game against multiple COVID-positive players. That tracks with the science we've seen indicating being in a confined space (like say, a plane, or a clubhouse) is really bad, but being outside with extremely minimal surface contact is safe. Football & basketball definitely have more close contact, but that's still good for the risk of cross-contamination.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-28-2020 at 12:29 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:33 PM   #415
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:55 PM   #416
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

The more I see of this the more MLB is negligent. (To no one's surprise.) inquirer.com/phillies/miami-marlins-coronavirus-outbreak-phillies-mlb-season-20200727.html I'm no CDC expert, but you know who should have been quarantined pending testing? EVERYONE WHO WAS ON A PLANE AND IN A CLUBHOUSE TOGETHER WITH THE INFECTED PEOPLE.

The one silver lining I'm seeing is that none of the Phillies have tested positive even though it's basically a guarantee they played a game against multiple COVID-positive players. That tracks with the science we've seen indicating being in a confined space (like say, a plane, or a clubhouse) is really bad, but being outside with extremely minimal surface contact is safe. Football & basketball definitely have more close contact, but that's still good for the risk of cross-contamination.

I mostly agree with this, though I'd feel a lot better about the accuracy of the testing in about a week or 10 days, what with the incubation period and all.

SI

Old 07-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #417
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So the Marlins season has been temporarily paused.

How does that work?
Old 07-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #418
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
So the Marlins season has been temporarily paused.

How does that work?

If the Marlins season is temporarily paused in an empty stadium, does it make a sound?

SI

Old 07-28-2020, 01:53 PM   #419
Ksyrup

Well, the Marlins won't play at least until Monday, so MLB sidesteps the Nationals mutiny for the time being.

EDIT to add another 7 days, I guess?

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-28-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #420
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Ummmmm....how can the Marlins possibly make up that many games? Have they in effect forfeited their season?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #421
JPhillips
General Manager

My new goal is to have MLB choose playoff spots by win percentage rather than games won, and for the Marlins to get the last spot after only playing forty or so games.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #422
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
My new goal is to have MLB choose playoff spots by win percentage rather than games won, and for the Marlins to get the last spot after only playing forty or so games.

Girardi was on MLB radio today saying thats what could happen with regards to win percentage.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #423
JPhillips
General Manager

The Marlins at 21-19 over the Cardinals at 31-29 would be my personal favorite.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:39 PM   #424
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

In a weird way I think this Marlins thing could be a positive for the season. If none of the Phillies test positive it shows that there is really zero transmission from team to team on the playing field.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:21 PM   #425
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Disappointed in Buehler that he didn't drill anyone.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:32 AM   #426
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Disappointed in Buehler that he didn't drill anyone.

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #427
MrBug708
Head Coach

That suspension is complete nonsense. 8 games which is 22 games of a regular season, for not even hitting him? The Astros were the first to even start it in the game yesterday. So obnoxious by Manfred
Old 07-29-2020, 04:53 PM   #428
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
That suspension is complete nonsense. 8 games which is 22 games of a regular season, for not even hitting him? The Astros were the first to even start it in the game yesterday. So obnoxious by Manfred

That's total Bullshit, really a greater punishment than the Astro's got in equivalency. Let's protect the cheaters.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:20 PM   #429
MrBug708
Head Coach

https://twitter.com/Weave1036/status...97850977210369
Old 07-29-2020, 05:38 PM   #430
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I'm not big on beanings but he has a point. Players are going to take it into their own hands if the league doesn't suspend players for cheating.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #431
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm not big on beanings but he has a point. Players are going to take it into their own hands if the league doesn't suspend players for cheating.

No they won't, not if they are going to face an 8 game suspension in a 60 game season for trying.

Also kind of ironic that it's Joe Kelly who is throwing at guys, considering sign stealing helped get him a World Series ring in 2018. I mean, he can feel free to return that ring anytime if he's so upset about it all.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:13 PM   #432
JPhillips
General Manager

Sports are more entertaining when there's some hate.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #433
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Not to mention that Joe Kelly initially called the investigation into the 2018 Red Sox cheating a debacle, saying that the Sox were so good that they wouldn't have lost an inning if they had cheated.

The data however actually suggests that the Red Sox 2018 cheating scandal was worth 5 wins over the course of the season, the same amount that the Astros 2017 cheating scandal was worth (so I suppose he's correct in that the punishments or lack thereof was a debacle).
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:55 AM   #434
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Steve Phillips had an interesting take on this today on MLB Network. If this was a normal year on July 28th and he did this and got 8 games there would still only be 60 games left in the season and it would be the same ratio.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:42 AM   #435
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Steve Phillips had an interesting take on this today on MLB Network. If this was a normal year on July 28th and he did this and got 8 games there would still only be 60 games left in the season and it would be the same ratio.

It's how I'm convincing myself the Royals aren't totally out of it yet. It's almost the end of July and they're only 2.5 GB! The last time they were this good, it was 2017.

Spoiler

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-30-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:01 AM   #436
PilotMan
Head Coach

Extra inning rules are not awesome, but not as bad as I expected either. I'd still rather the approach to the innings change than the game itself change.

Like Steam?

Old 07-30-2020, 11:33 AM   #437
Ksyrup

If you've had kids play travel ball, you're used to the ITB rule. I don't mind it at all.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #438
JPhillips
General Manager

One coach and one clubhouse staff member for the Phillies tested positive.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #439
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Juan Marichal got 8 games for taking a bat to the head of a player.

Im curious as to what the biggest suspension is for an in-game antic, that didn't result in ejection in the actual game.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:42 PM   #440
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Im curious as to what the biggest suspension is for an in-game antic, that didn't result in ejection in the actual game.

Keona Kela was suspended 10 games for throwing at Derek Deitrich last year and this isn't Joe Kelly's first offense.

Quote:
That suspension is complete nonsense. 8 games which is 22 games of a regular season, for not even hitting him?

The length of the season shouldn't matter when it comes to suspensions. If someone tests postive for PEDs they're not going to suspend them for 30 games because the season is only 60 games. They're still getting an 80 game suspension.

I also don't buy the notion that this was simply because MLB refused to suspend Astros players. If the Astros players had been suspended the Dodgers and other teams would still want their piece.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #441
PilotMan
Head Coach

I ain't worried, the Astros WILL get what's coming to them.

Like Steam?

Old 07-30-2020, 02:15 PM   #442
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One coach and one clubhouse staff member for the Phillies tested positive.

Well, damn. There goes the "Phils are fine so maybe we can just insulate this to the Marlins" idea

SI

Old 07-30-2020, 02:35 PM   #443
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Keona Kela was suspended 10 games for throwing at Derek Deitrich last year and this isn't Joe Kelly's first offense.

Was the same the incident where Jared Hughes was suspended 3 games for intentionally throwing at someone?

We've also never heard as to why Dave Roberts was suspended. Nor why the Astros weren't suspended for leaving the dugout and violating protocol by ignoring social distance rules by crossing the field and trying to start a fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I also don't buy the notion that this was simply because MLB refused to suspend Astros players. If the Astros players had been suspended the Dodgers and other teams would still want their piece.

Neither do I. It's mostly because the lack of any sort of genuine remorse for taking part in the cheating.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 07-30-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #444
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

We've also never heard as to why Dave Roberts was suspended. Nor why the Astros weren't suspended for leaving the dugout and violating protocol by ignoring social distance rules by crossing the field and trying to start a fight.

The managers get the punishment for players leaving the dugout, though if that is the case Baker should have been suspended one game too. The fact remains though, the Astro's made their bed, got off light and now MLB is protecting them from retaliation they should expect and deal with.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:31 PM   #445
bhlloy
Coordinator

If 2 members of the non-playing staff testing positive (and I’m not for a second suggesting this is the wrong approach) causes a series to get postponed, how exactly was MLB ever planning to get through the season?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:27 PM   #446
JPhillips
General Manager

MLB and the players have agreed on 7 inning double-headers starting Aug 1.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #447
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
MLB and the players have agreed on 7 inning double-headers starting Aug 1.

This may be their answer to the problem of the long games and peoples llack of attention. Plus, that is selling 2 tickets everyday.

This idea could be a gold mine for the owners.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #448
Ksyrup

I think they've agreed to this because of all the potential makeup games.
Old 07-30-2020, 08:58 PM   #449
kingfc22
Head Coach

Let’s just make the fences 225 feet and call it beer league softball while we’re at it.
Old 07-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #450
Atocep
Coordinator

Have I told you how bad the Cano/Diaz trade was?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote