Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #401
spleen1015
Coordinator

Best of luck to you guys, Jon.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #402
Kodos
Resident Alien

Hoping for good news. Sending healing thoughts her way.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:26 PM   #403
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Figured I'd update. Had the surgery and turns out I'm terminal, 5-12 months. Going through chemo/radiation in hopes of getting some more quality time out of it but so far it's not really taking.

Anyway, I always thought I'd be super scared but I'm not. Sad to leave of course, but overall fairly zen. I'm not one to ask why me.

I can't express in words how fearless you sound in your words. I hope that mindset you have carries you into your journey.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:57 PM   #404
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Figured I'd update. Had the surgery and turns out I'm terminal, 5-12 months. Going through chemo/radiation in hopes of getting some more quality time out of it but so far it's not really taking.

Anyway, I always thought I'd be super scared but I'm not. Sad to leave of course, but overall fairly zen. I'm not one to ask why me.

Fuck man, I avoid this thread sometimes because I don't like seeing shit like this.

I have been a member for 19 years here. You all helped me mentally through my nasty ass divorce. I ended up meeting peeps that have turned into great and best friends on here.

I have watched a lot of your kids grow up on FB - to see shit like this is heart wrenching man.

Prayers to you and your family through all of this.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:01 PM   #405
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
omg, I missed this. There are no words. Fuck fucking cancer.

I missed that too. So sorry to hear this, Path. I'm at a loss for what to say.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #406
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Today is wife's first follow up scan, to see if they see anything they shouldn't see.

That it's grey, rainy, ugh kind of day for the drive to Atlanta is just perfectly 2020. It fits perfectly with her diagnosis earlier in the week of osteoporsis and arthritis that has her hobbling on a bum right knee for the past couple weeks.

Obviously we're a million miles away from being the only people who've ever dealt with this sort of shit but, honestly, I don't even know how those who've dealt with this do so. I guess you just ... do.

Hope you have received the best news possible Jon
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:25 PM   #407
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks all, scan was fine & this time they managed to deal with her allergic reaction to the contrast dye beforehand (MUCH better than the nasty reaction afterwards last time)

And now, as these things go ... we wait. Unlikely to hear any results until Tues or Wed.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:37 PM   #408
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Missed this the first time. I just don't know what to say. Had the pleasure of meeting up when we were in Seattle. Great guy. Seemed like I knew him for years, which I supposed we had. Hours of playing werewolf, etc...

I hope you make the most of your time my friend.

Last edited by Lathum : 09-25-2020 at 11:01 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #409
saldana
Pro Starter

Hey all, its been a long time, but as Path said, kind of a testament to the enduring nature of this community, that i immediately came back here, and unfortunately knew what post to look for...

So sorry to hear your news Path...we are all way to young to be worrying about these kinds of thing...i hope you can maintain your zen and despite the shitshow the world is right now, find a way to live your best life

Last edited by saldana : 09-25-2020 at 08:15 PM.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:23 PM   #410
tarcone
Coordinator

Wow, so sorry to hear, Path, this was a gut punch. Someone I do not know except through a message board, yet this community is my favorite. And losing one of us is just devastating. God bless you. Live the next 5-12 months as bet you can. NO REGRETS!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:31 PM   #411
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Like others, I missed this a month ago. I lost my brother to cancer almost year ago now, so I do have trouble reading this thread from time to time. It’s all a bit too much.

I’m devastated to hear this. Your take on this and how at peace you are with it is really amazing. I really don’t know what else to say. It always sucks losing someone from this odd, little community. I’m just really sorry to hear this and wish the best for you and your family with whatever time you have left. If there’s ever an XCom 3, I’ll always be sure to have a “Path12” in my squad.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:44 AM   #412
tarcone
Coordinator

Not sure where to put this as it really isnt cancer related but I will put it here.

My best friend from HS and my 20s, the dude that knows me better than anyone and still stuck by me has some sort of disease that is wasting away his body, just shutting it down. I mean this literally. He was living in Phoenix and the doctors thought Lou Gehrigs disease. He moved back in with his Mom and is going to the University of Iowa Hospitals and clinics, which are fantastic, and they said no it is not ALS. I called him a month ago, it had been awhile since I talked to him and he said it had move to his lungs. Which means his lungs were shutting down. I called him last night and he told me the doctors have given him 4 months to live. Shit. This is my man. WTF. I am devastated. This guy was the person who saw me through the good and bad in my 20s. He was always there. Life sucks and death sucks way more.

EDIT: And the doctors, all of them, still have no idea what is going on with him. There is no diagnosis.

Last edited by tarcone : 09-26-2020 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #413
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm sorry - that's just scary and sad

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:26 AM   #414
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow how scary that is tarcone, you and your friend are in my thoughts
Old 09-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #415
Kodos
Resident Alien

That's awful. I'm so sorry, Tarcone. Life is so hard.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:56 PM   #416
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Officially got wife's results today from last Friday's scan (she'd already talked to the NP and read the whole report in her 'portal'): no signs of any new/emerging cancer. So we exhale and start preparing for her next scan in early January (would be December but fuck it, we'll wait instead of doing it between Xmas and New Years)

Also met with the "pallative care team" today for the first time. That experience was fairly positive -- let's think of them as troubleshooters and facilitators -- certainly much better than the gloomy meeting with them that we were kinda prepared for based on the scarce explanation of their purpose we'd gotten so far.

So all in all good news from the scan, still working (her, me, all of us) on figuring out exactly how to process the roller coaster that goes with knowing your next ride is already booked. That's a process, for damned sure.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:15 PM   #417
JPhillips
General Manager

Good to hear, at least much better than the alternative. Take care, all of you.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:22 PM   #418
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Thats great news Jon
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:57 PM   #419
JediKooter
Coordinator

Good to hear Jon!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #420
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Some good news in this thread. That must be a bit of a relief, Jon

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-01-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #421
Edward64
Head Coach

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #422
Thomkal
Head Coach

Very happy you got some good news out of all of this Jon.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #423
tarcone
Coordinator

Thumbs up

Old 10-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #424
miami_fan
Coordinator

Good to hear Jon.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-01-2020, 10:55 PM   #425
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
That must be a bit of a relief, Jon

Oh brother, you ain't kiddin. And yet you have to figure out how to cope with good news too.

Okay, kinda long ass ramble coming here, but fuckit. Maybe TLDR for some but if there's the slight bit of useful to anybody (even if its just me) then it's worth the typing. I'm also gonna spoiler tag it, just to keep from feeling like I word bombed the flow of the tread. Nothing spoiler-y in it, I'm just formatting to make myself feel more comfortable doing it.

Spoiler
Old 10-01-2020, 11:42 PM   #426
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have no idea what it would be like to be in those shoes and pray I'm never in the position to find out. I live life assuming I'm either getting around 90ish years (3 of my 4 grandparents made it that long and the one who didn't was a longtime smoker who still made 80ish) or I'm going to die quick (car accident, whatever) and then it won't matter. And I know that's all made up - there's no way to know the hour. But it's the assumption that helps me sleep at night.

I have seen some videos about "scan day" and the mentality that goes into that sort of quarter-to-quarter living and I don't know what I'd do. Anyone in this thread is a stronger one to deal with it than anything I've done. Thoughts and prayers are with you and it's heartening to see the good news.

SI

Old 10-02-2020, 12:31 AM   #427
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Nice!

I can empathize with that feeling of shock & relief from getting an a remarkably good doctor/clinic after you've been numbed by a parade of everything else.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 10-02-2020 at 12:34 AM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:07 AM   #428
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

great news Jon...

Last edited by Breeze : 10-02-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:42 AM   #429
spleen1015
Coordinator

Really glad you got good news Jon.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #430
Kodos
Resident Alien

That is great to hear, Jon. I hope you continue to get news that is as good as possible in the future.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:46 PM   #431
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have a very small family. Only 4 first cousins in total, and no other brothers or sisters. We've all been fairly distant from one another, but with Facebook I've gotten to be closer to my youngest cousin. She is the closest thing I have to a sister. She lost her mom to cancer as a teenager, and just lost her dad this year. Her mom's loss raised a great deal of anxiety for her and her own situation and she's been very aggressive in seeking out professionals for any chance of her getting sick. Well, this year it struck. She's not even 40 and was diagnosed with stage one breast cancer a few weeks ago, however the type that she has is very aggressive. During the full body scans they found it had spread to her lymph nodes, and that the mass in her breast was bigger than expected. She starts chemo very soon, and even though she is in good spirits, I know that she's worried. We are very worried.

I wish we could travel to them and check in or help, or something. I am worried for her daughter who has her own set of anxiety issues. Her husband is great and I know will look after and support them, but damn, this was not something that anyone had on the radar right now. It's a very helpless feeling.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #432
spleen1015
Coordinator

That sucks. Best wishes to her and your family.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:51 PM   #433
JediKooter
Coordinator

Sorry to hear about your cousin, PilotMan. Hopefully everything will be ok.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #434
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oh man. That's terrible. I hope she'll be okay.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:59 PM   #435
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Just saw the sad news that a long-time internet friend passed away from leukemia Tuesday. I knew he was sick but hadn't seen recent posts (thanks to FB's crappy algorithm, you never know why). I've known him for 20 years, we used to trade burned CDs of stuff we thought each other would like for years. Really cool dude, remarried a few years ago, kid in high school. Just sucks. RRIP J-Pop.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:34 PM   #436
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Man, I hate when this thread is bumped. Sorry, PilotMan and Ksyrup

SI

Old 11-13-2020, 01:30 PM   #437
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Man, I hate when this thread is bumped. Sorry, PilotMan and Ksyrup

SI

Me too.. thoughts and prayers PilotMan and Ksyrup.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:45 PM   #438
AnalBumCover
College Starter

My brother completed his chemo treatments and rang the bell today. Something to be thankful for this holiday season.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:55 PM   #439
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
My brother completed his chemo treatments and rang the bell today. Something to be thankful for this holiday season.

Great news ABC

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:14 PM   #440
Thomkal
Head Coach

Most certainly ABC! Great way to start the holidays!
Old 11-25-2020, 09:38 PM   #441
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Glad to hear it ABC
Old 11-26-2020, 07:40 AM   #442
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Really good news. ABC
Old 11-26-2020, 07:52 AM   #443
tarcone
Coordinator

Awesome, ABC. Celebrate greatly this season.

Old 11-26-2020, 07:53 AM   #444
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Great milestone for your family to celebrate.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not a post I wanted to type but y'all have been here so here goes

Some of you know that the past few months they've been trying to figure out what combination of arthritis & osteoparosis was causing my wife to have increasing pain & difficult walking. Maybe 10-14 days ago, her regular ortho doc shot the knee with cortisone but to limited effect, meaning likely a hidden muscle tear (as that downgraded arthritis as the cause).

Sunday morning as she shuffled her way to the bathroom with her cane, her right leg simply gave out / quit. Luckily she landed on a large footstool. A couple hours of figuring how, we got her to the ortho, expecting the muscle tear to be obvious.

Instead, what x-rays revealed was a sizable lesion at the top of her right femur. Ortho was frank that it was almost certainly a sign of bone cancer & that her femur was so compromised that it could snap at any moment.

He did some back channel work, got Emory to agree to take her in through the E.R. (since that's where her cancer docs already are). We delivered her around 7p Sunday. 16 hours later we get a sliver of hope and some not so good news.

First, there is at least a CHANCE -- however slim -- that the mishapened bone mass could turn out benign. Unlikely, but at least POSSIBLE.

Bad news: somewhere between x-rays in athens & x-rays at emory, her femur snapped, right at the very top just short of where it go to the hip. Surgery is planned for later today to repair that.

There are a ton of obvious questions -- about what this is, when it began, why it took months to be found -- that I have no answers for at this point. Nor do I have the luxury of worrying about.

This is by far the worst scenario we've faced and the outlook seems very grim.

Will & I are home - after a night in the nearby hotel - waiting further updates on the surgery and whatever else they may tell us.

Information has been sparse, the only update we got between 7p & 6a was that she got a morphine shot around 10p. The next was that she was transferred to Emory Midtown (the old Crawford Long I believe) from Emory Main (Decatur) as that's where they've put all the bone docs. We didn't get anything else until nearly noon when a kind switchboard operator on the ICU floor came out to our car, got wife's phone charger & marched it in to her (battery had died somewhere around midnight)

That's when her duty nurse (who failed to answer 3 calls and 2 messages) happened to come in & was able to give us most of what I've shared here.

Information flow has been abysmal, the staff is mostly surly (aside from that angel of a phone answerer), and we're twisting in the wind by & large. Wife said virtually all her treatment had been similar thus far

Things look & feel pretty bleak here, your prayers are much appreciated.

edit to add: for those of you who engage me on other platforms, please keep this quiet. The circle that are aware is extremely small & I hope to keep it that way until such time as she indicates any other intention.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-14-2020 at 01:06 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #446
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Awful news, sorry to hear. Prayers up.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:15 PM   #447
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm sorry, Jon.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #448
miked
College Starter

Wishing you luck. Emory has very recently decided to scale back to their no-visitor policy and it is moving through the various channels. People are on edge because of the COVID surge, not to say that surly people are ok and you should not be frustrated. Just that many of these things are changing daily and even the staff are a bit confused.
Old 12-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #449
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Praying for you guys.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #450
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Damn, Jon. I'm so sorry. Prayers for you, your wife, and your famly

SI