Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF8/TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2020, 07:08 PM   #1
Wudu2
n00b

FOF7/8 Historical Draft Files, 1983-2019

Release - Google Drive

Here you'll find files for FOF7, FOF8 and the CSV files I used to make them. Also here are the tools I created to make them. Included are players from the NFL, CFL, AAF, XFL, USFL, UFL, WLAF and itís successor, NFL Europe from the years 1983-2019. As there is an 800 player minimum for the files, there is some filler. These filler players are made up of college players from those years who never played pro football.

I've tested them enough to verify that each file works and testing is ongoing with ratings and balance, but they should be usable. If you disagree with the ratings, feel free to edit the drafts as you see fit. Enjoy!

Wudu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:08 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Very cool
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:03 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

Interesting. I had an old one-player-universe file sitting around that happens to have been set in 1986, it seems. So, that could be an interesting way to play, using these files.

Here's a link - TinyUpload.com - best file hosting solution, with no limits, totaly free

FYI, it's not my creation, just something somebody posted a while back, and just happens to be set in 1986. With an OPU file, each team starts out with zero players, and then the background AI generates a ton of stiffs to make sure there are enough bodies to fill the rosters.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:16 AM   #4
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I am a big fan of these, as a curator of the early game files, I say thank you.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I am a big fan of these, as a curator of the early game files, I say thank you.
And I'm just happy to see you around here.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:02 AM   #6
Ronmun29
n00b

I am a new purchaser and interested in these files but not sure how to use them. I cannot see any way to play seasons from prior to 2011...would love to start in the 1980s and use these files each season.
Ronmun29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

R, I hope someone can help you. I will volunteer that playing the game with files like these is **really** different from the vanilla FOF experience.

By most people's accounts, FOF is not great at the whole "simulate the real world" experience. It can generate realistic stats, and so forth, but it is not great at creating, say, a Tyreke Hill who looks and feels like the real thing, or for that matter a Dan Marino who does the same.

I hope you get to take a stab at it, and that it's fun. But if it's not exactly what you're looking for, I encourage you to at least take a stab at playing the game in its strongest channel - just let it go, play with game-generated drafts (which will be far more balanced than the historical files here), and write your own story.

Cheers
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:15 PM   #8
Ronmun29
n00b

Thank you.
Yes the game feels good. I actually was going to choose between it, and DDS, but liked them both and chose them both... they both seem very good inside their wheelhouse so to speak.. and I have FAR to much time on my hands lol.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #9
Wudu2
n00b

Hi Ronmun,

To use the files, do this:

1. Start a new game and make sure the top option "Begin game using alternate player file" is set to "Yes". Set the other options on this page to your liking and click "submit".

2. The game will prompt you to chose a player file, so choose the FOF8 .fdt file of whatever season you want. This will put you in your chosen year, after the amateur draft. Currently the only 1980s file we have is 1983 but if you were looking for a specific year, I can probably convert from an older file for you.

3. Next year, just before you start free agency there will be a button that says "Import Draft" at the top. This is the only time you can import a custom draft, so make sure you put it on your checklist of things to do before free agency.

4. Press the "Import Draft" button and it will prompt you to select the season you wish to import.

That should be it. I'm assuming you're playing FOF8, so make sure that you only use the files from the release folder that are from that game. There are differences in the FOF7 and FOF8 file structure that make them not work with eachother. The biggest gotcha I've seen for people is that the draft files and the roster files are different file types and that has tripped people up. Start with the .FDT roster file and continue with the .FAF draft files.

Last edited by Wudu2 : 06-19-2020 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
Ronmun29
n00b

Thank you for the reply.
I can find no "fdt" files howeer… they all seem to be csv files as in 2000.csv, 2001.csv etc.

As far as the game folder itself if you are referring to it, I cannot even locate it, I am no fan of STEAM and this is the first game I have gotten through it, so no idea where STEAM puts the installation, but there is no FOF folder in steam, nor in program files, nor in documents.

I can see by the csv files how much work you put into these...great job

EDIT
I located the installation. Yes it had the player files, but only back through 2016.
Were you saying that to use the, for example 1983 draft file you did, you should load a player file from, say, 2016, play the season, then load the 1983 draft? It seems this would have some issues if age is a data reference...or is there any way to get the 1983 (for example) fdt file?
Thank you for dealing with a newbie lol.

Last edited by Ronmun29 : 06-24-2020 at 10:19 AM. Reason: updated
Old 06-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #11
Ronmun29
n00b

I think I figured it out, thank you.
I have started a new thread with a couple of related questions.
GREAT work on these!
Old 01-10-2021, 09:45 AM   #12
Donnerna
n00b

I love these files so much -- but after playing through the 80's, I've now encountered an issue.

I initially downloaded only the 1980s files, and everything worked fine.

Months later, I've now downloaded the 1990s files...but they're downloading as .csv instead of as the kind of file type FOF8 recognizes for draft classes.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks!
Donnerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:23 PM   #13
Olsson
High School JV

@Donnerna - The faf-files should be in the FOF8 folder in the download. If not follow the link from the opening post, select the FOF8 folder and download from there.
Olsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:22 AM   #14
Stanley92
n00b

I need some help understanding this. Recently got FOF8 and was glad to see the roster/draft files from Wudu. My concern was on the FOF8 2002 files.
I tried to start 2002 as Texans, but found a 2nd QB missing. Tony Banks was in the csv-file (FOF8 2002.csv) but was not popping up in the roster, not even in the FA pool.

So now a try to edit and add Banks and maybe more players to the startoff file for 2002 became important.
Using the java pgm FOFDraftRosterUtil to try and do this.
I can easily open up all the csv files for the years of draft but when trying to open the roster file named FOF8 2002.csv I get this error.
Java lang execption
Error on line 1 column P : For Input string ""

Now checking up this first line
1,1,Abdullah,Rabih,3,73,224,4,27,1975,12874,3,168,28,1999,,,28,1999,,,0,
(a cutout)
That column P should perhaps be the issue after the first 1999 number.

I really wanted to fill up this 2002 roster to get enough players in the FA pool not deal with an army of fictional players for the first kick-off year. I assume the faf-file (draft-classes) include a good number of real players when one do get this save to run forward over the years.

Any suggestion on how to edit this 2002 roster setup ???

I found the PlayerFile.exe within the game at last and got a good view on all the columns. However after getting a Zero in that column P it just continued "down" the lines and when it called for "Participation percentage last year", it started to get a bit impossible. That column looked to be omitted on all players then also next one "Hall of Fame Points". It started to get overwhelming.
Basically the jar-pgm don't like empty but need a number which is now the problem at hand.
How have all you managed this ?

Last edited by Stanley92 : 01-13-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Stanley92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:53 AM   #15
LaStarza61
n00b

Needing Some Help

I don't know why I am having so much trouble with this. If someone could help me, I would really appreciate it!

I want to set up a career starting in 2002 and then use the historical draft files every season after that. Could someone please tell me exactly, step-by-step, what I need to do to accomplish this? Where do the custom historical files go after I download them? Which file do I use for the initial start? How to do a historical draft each year? etc..

Thank you in advance!
LaStarza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:20 PM   #16
Stanley92
n00b

I figured out my "problem" and are filling up that starting FOF8_2002 roster.

I have seen the AI for all teams, beside your own, going mental and signs whatever they think they miss in the pool of created fictional players.
So need to figure out what players was FA pre-season. This old 2002 roster filed looked to have none as FA.

That was the problem with the lack of LS on most of the teams. Tons of fictional LS popped up in those teams.
I think I remedy that adding almost evry LS that was in 2002 teams, and to help the AI I changed several LS already in teams but listed as something else, like center,TE or LBs. Those player never took a snap on those positions and is more correct to list them as LS.

I still need to test this out before I might put it up.
All the files for drafting in years to come could most surely work tip-top as they are.

So what have I done in the FOF8 2002.csv ?
Just added some players, mostly longsnappers and fringe players that might played in special teams.
Made some position changes that troubled the AI on the startup of the save.

Now for some testing !!!

Last edited by Stanley92 : 01-14-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #17
Donnerna
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStarza61 View Post
I don't know why I am having so much trouble with this. If someone could help me, I would really appreciate it!

I want to set up a career starting in 2002 and then use the historical draft files every season after that. Could someone please tell me exactly, step-by-step, what I need to do to accomplish this? Where do the custom historical files go after I download them? Which file do I use for the initial start? How to do a historical draft each year? etc..

Thank you in advance!

Unfortunately, that is not possible to my knowledge. Your only options that I'm aware of are to use the modern day start date that the game defaults with, or to use the 1983 start date that is included in the link above.
Donnerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 03:32 AM   #18
LaStarza61
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnerna View Post
Unfortunately, that is not possible to my knowledge. Your only options that I'm aware of are to use the modern day start date that the game defaults with, or to use the 1983 start date that is included in the link above.

It looks like there is a 2002 starting roster file right next to the 1983 starting roster file on the link above. Not sure why 1983 can be used, but not 2002?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2021, 09:08 AM   #19
Stanley92
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStarza61 View Post
It looks like there is a 2002 starting roster file right next to the 1983 starting roster file on the link above. Not sure why 1983 can be used, but not 2002?

Thanks

The files Wudu put up includes a start file for 2002 (FDT-file), then you got all those FAF-file in the same download. You should be using them each pre-draft time so you get every player, not only those who did have a NFL career, inside the draft.
Just hold on a week or two and have a brand new 2002 file, based on Wudus file in the first post. Lots of players that was left out and also bunch of real plaers in the Free Agents pool.

It takes some more testing and I like to have more adjusted things in play before I upload it.

Hang in and hopefully something good comes up.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:51 PM   #20
LaStarza61
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley92 View Post
The files Wudu put up includes a start file for 2002 (FDT-file), then you got all those FAF-file in the same download. You should be using them each pre-draft time so you get every player, not only those who did have a NFL career, inside the draft.
Just hold on a week or two and have a brand new 2002 file, based on Wudus file in the first post. Lots of players that was left out and also bunch of real plaers in the Free Agents pool.

It takes some more testing and I like to have more adjusted things in play before I upload it.

Hang in and hopefully something good comes up.

Thank you... I appreciate it! I will patiently wait.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #21
Wudu2
n00b

The roster files I've included in those folders are actually Nildor's, designed for use in FOF7. I had only converted a few for use in FOF8 by request. They're pretty easy to convert if you are comfortable editing the CSV files. The hardest part is finding the Long Snappers. FOF7 didn't have that position.

My current pandemic project is working on my own rosters, so each year from 1983 on will have accurate rosters for NFL, CFL, XFL, USFL, UFL and AAF, with some Arena players thrown in for FAs. It's slow going, though. 15,000 or so players to go...