Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-23-2009, 07:23 AM   #201
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Video of Natal in action at Tokyo Game Show.

1. I have little doubt that the presenter in the sunglasses will be seen on many .gif files in the near future.

2. Not sure why Microsoft showed this technology so soon. There's a lot of lag between the motion and what happens on the screen, especially when compared to the Wii. They may be able to get that fix since it's not released for a year or more, but bad first impressions can kill a product if you show it too early.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #202
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I like the demo of the ball game- that looks quite fun

The racing doesn't work so well as it might as well be the wiimote control system only not as functional (as there is no controller to act as a wheel).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #203
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

There are rumors swirling that Microsoft may be buying EA. Obviously, this would be a blow to Sony and the PS3 if it happened:

Tech Rumor: Microsoft Eyeing EA | Technology | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #204
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If Microsoft bought out EA.. basically, this would kick the legs out from underneath Sony, just when they're getting back up.. it's like a boxing fight where someone gets knocked down, but instead of waiting for their opponent to get up, the boxer stands over his fallen opponent.. wait till he's just about vertical and.. BLAMMO!
Old 09-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #205
spleen1015
Coordinator

It is only matter of time before Microsoft owns us all, except Blizzard.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #206
Kodos
Resident Alien

Seems like that would force Sony to either get the 2K team or their own team to make a non-NFL licensed football game. You simply can't have a console in the US that doesn't have a pro football game and expect to compete.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #207
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I would still multi platform the game. But give the Xbox version a healthy exclusive window.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #208
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'd make the games the exact same, except every QB in the non-Xbox version is Ryan Leaf.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #209
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
There are rumors swirling that Microsoft may be buying EA. Obviously, this would be a blow to Sony and the PS3 if it happened:

Tech Rumor: Microsoft Eyeing EA | Technology | Financial Articles & Investing News | TheStreet.com

More on MS buying EA

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0090923?rpc=44
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #210
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I love unsubtantiated rumors that drive stock prices in the age of day trading.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:12 PM   #211
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Seems like that would force Sony to either get the 2K team or their own team to make a non-NFL licensed football game. You simply can't have a console in the US that doesn't have a pro football game and expect to compete.
I don't know. Wouldn't Microsoft have some antitrust issues with the move? I don't think they'd be able to make EA titles exclusive in the sports where there is no competition.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #212
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I would still multi platform the game. But give the Xbox version a healthy exclusive window.

Yeah, but by doing that, you kill the sales of the PS3 version, which, remember, is not magically free to develop. If you're going to create a PS3 (or even a Wii) version, you need to at least recoup your development costs.

So instead, what you do is release 'em at the same time, but make sure that "your" version has some extra goodies.

Maybe try to get Sony to forego the licensing royalties they usually would collect on EA Sports titles. Sure, Sony still benefits from whatever console sales the game generates, but Microsoft pockets all the profits on that software, and by having feature differentiation, would presumably sell more hardware when Madden XX is released anyway.

Then you get the added bonus of, "well, now we've got PlayStation 3 dev kits to compare to the 360 dev kits we're used to programming for. What can we learn from that to give us an edge on the stuff we're producing for our own console?"
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #213
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Cops like Wii.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:19 PM   #214
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

A few analysts think this rumor is unlikely to be true. From ign.com:

Quote:
September 23, 2009 - Rumblings of a Electronic Arts takeover by Microsoft have driven Wall Street into a frenzy this morning.

Reuters is reporting "unsubstantiated talk" of a possible sale, causing shares to jump for both companies. Electronic Arts saw a jump of over 8% to $20.01, while Microsoft's shares increased 1.1 percent to $26.05

"There's talk that Microsoft might be interested in acquiring Electronic Arts. It's unsubstantiated chatter, but it's out there," said options strategist Frederic Ruffy.

Analyst Trip Chowdhry said talk of this sale is unjustified. "Our contacts just don't see Microsoft buying Electronic Arts, no synergies whatsoever, and also not Microsoft's corporate primary focus right now."

Electronic Arts and Microsoft have yet to issue any comments on this story.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter told IGN a sale of this magnitude is highly unlikely.

"Their value as a one platform exclusive publisher is lower than their value on multi-platform. A media company would pay a lot more," he said. "Also, most licenses would terminate."
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:31 PM   #215
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Yeah, but by doing that, you kill the sales of the PS3 version, which, remember, is not magically free to develop. If you're going to create a PS3 (or even a Wii) version, you need to at least recoup your development costs.

So instead, what you do is release 'em at the same time, but make sure that "your" version has some extra goodies.

Maybe try to get Sony to forego the licensing royalties they usually would collect on EA Sports titles. Sure, Sony still benefits from whatever console sales the game generates, but Microsoft pockets all the profits on that software, and by having feature differentiation, would presumably sell more hardware when Madden XX is released anyway.

Then you get the added bonus of, "well, now we've got PlayStation 3 dev kits to compare to the 360 dev kits we're used to programming for. What can we learn from that to give us an edge on the stuff we're producing for our own console?"

yeah, that works too.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #216
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Microsoft says EA purchase rumor is false - Seattle Post Intelligencer

Quote:

Electronic Arts stock jumped 4 percent Wednesday amid talk that Microsoft might be interested in buying the major video-game publisher.

"There's talk that Microsoft might be interested in acquiring Electronic Arts. It's unsubstantiated chatter, but it's out there," Frederic Ruffy, options strategist at WhatsTrading.com in New York, told Reuters. The news agency also reported that a London-based trader has heard similar talk in Europe.

However, Microsoft spokesman David Dennis dispelled the rumor.

"There is no truth to this rumor," he said in an e-mail to seattlepi.com, "we have no plans to purchase EA."
Old 09-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #217
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Someone made some cash after starting this rumor, and someone else was primed to make some cash when it was disclaimed.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #218
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I can't believe anyone actually bought that rumor. The thought that Microsoft (or Sony for that matter) would even take on EA is ludicrous.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #219
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Few notes from TGS:

-PS3 Slim sold 1M units worldwide in first three weeks.
-New Halo:ODST sold 2M units thus far.
-GT5 release set for March 2010 in Japan (BIG bummer that they couldn't make holiday 2009)
-Resident Evil 5 for the PS3 will support motion control on release.
-FFXIII bundle with white PS3 will be available on release date (December 17th) in Japan. 250 GB HDD. Wouldn't be surprised if this slows the PS3 Slim sales in Japan as people opt to wait for the bundle.

For You Final Fantasy Freaks

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-24-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #220
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

New Dynasty Warriors Online game announced for 2010 for PS3. Free to play with microtransactions to buy fancy equipment.

Dynasty Warriors Online set for PlayStation 3 (andriasang.com blog, 09.24.2009)
Old 09-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #221
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Forza 3 demo is now available.

Also, Nintendo has officially confirmed the widely rumored $199 price drop.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:19 PM   #222
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Stupid move by Sony. The PSP go will not support previously purchased PSP UMD games due to "legal and technical reasons." I know that kills my interest in any possible upgrade, and I doubt I'm the only one. Also, the rewards program won't be available in the USA.:

No UMD conversion for PSP Go - PSP News at GameSpot

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-27-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #223
spleen1015
Coordinator

That's pretty nuts. How can they think that is a good idea?
Old 09-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #224
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Stupid move by Sony. The PSP go will not support previously purchased PSP UMD games due to "legal and technical reasons." I know that kills my interest in any possible upgrade, and I doubt I'm the only one. Also, the rewards program won't be available in the USA.:

I'm not sure it was interesting even before that. Smaller screen = no for me. The current model is a much better deal.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #225
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

So bear with me here, but I think I figured it out.

SCEA have *stopped*, largely, making idiotic decisions in the PS3 space, but the damage has mostly been done. Right?

SCEA are making all *kinds* of retarded decisions in the PSP space, not that it matters anyway.

Does it sound to anybody else like the folks in charge of the PS3 side of the business got reassigned to the PSP, kind of the business-world equivalent of "we can't fire you, so go hang out in Siberia for a while"?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #226
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Does it sound to anybody else like the folks in charge of the PS3 side of the business got reassigned to the PSP, kind of the business-world equivalent of "we can't fire you, so go hang out in Siberia for a while"?

Sounds about right.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #227
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I guess I never expected the cartridge media to be allowed to be ported over. I think maybe they could have at least started a program where you could send in the UMD and get a download code or something.

Otherwise, unless there are serial codes or something on the disc, I don't know how they could expect to keep people from transferring games they didn't own over.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #228
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola-Sack's probably right about the moron shift.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #229
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I guess I never expected the cartridge media to be allowed to be ported over. I think maybe they could have at least started a program where you could send in the UMD and get a download code or something.

Otherwise, unless there are serial codes or something on the disc, I don't know how they could expect to keep people from transferring games they didn't own over.

FWIW, I'm sure that this will only encourage the existing modified firmware community to find ways to copy the code from UMD to the PSP Go. I'd actually be shocked if that didn't happen pretty quickly.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #230
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

1.7 million copies of FIFA 10 were sold in the first two weeks of its European release, making it the fastest selling sports game of all-time (worldwide). It will come out in the US in a week and a half.

Move over, Madden: FIFA 10 is the fastest-selling sports game ever
Old 10-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #231
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
1.7 million copies of FIFA 10 were sold in the first two weeks of its European release, making it the fastest selling sports game of all-time (worldwide). It will come out in the US in a week and a half.

Even more interesting is that the PS3 version is selling more units than the 360 version. The Slim is selling very well in Europe and it appears to be having an impact on the balance of power in that region. It'll be interesting to see the ratio of sales once it hits the States.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #232
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
It'll be interesting to see the ratio of sales once it hits the States.

It'll be interesting if both the PS3 and 360 versions of FIFA 10 even make the top 10 or top 20 so we can see how they compare here. After looking it up I was surprised to see that the 360 versions of FIFA 09 snuck onto the top 20 for October 2009 (#19 - selling somewhere between 97k-119k).
Old 10-16-2009, 07:04 AM   #233
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Sony announces a new premium model. 250 GB PS3 Slim will be available November 3rd for $349. Not terribly unexpected, though the price does seem somewhat like a price cut. Previous pricing had the premium model $100 more than the standard model.

NEW 250GB PlayStation 3 System Available November 3 – PlayStation.Blog
Old 10-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #234
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

September 2009 Hardware:

Nintendo DS ...... 524.2K
PlayStation 3 ...... 491.8K
Wii ................... 462.8K
Xbox 360 ........... 352.6K
PSP ................. 190.4K
PlayStation 2 ..... 146.0K

(edited to add these in):

YTD:

PlayStation 2 1,145,800
PlayStation 3 1,943,500
PSP 1,372,700
Xbox 360 2,391,500
Wii 4,017,100
Nintendo DS 5,717,800

LTD:

PlayStation 2 44,600,418
PlayStation 3 8,737,696
PSP 15,714,336
Xbox 360 16,251,786
Wii 21,557,481
Nintendo DS 33,259,158

September 2009 Software:

HALO 3: ODST (360; Sep-09) -------------------------- ------- 1.52M
WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII; Jul-09) -- 442.9K
MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) ------------------- ------------- 289.6K
MARIO & LUIGI:BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY (NDS; Sep-09) --- 258.1K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (360; Sep-09) --------------------- 254.0K
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) ------------------- -------------- 246.5K
MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2 (360; Sep-09) ---------------- 236.0K
BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* (PS3; Aug-09) --------------------- 212.5K
GUITAR HERO 5* (360; Sep-09) --------------------------------- 210.8K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (WII; Sep-09) --------------------- 208.6K

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPD

The industry managed a modest increase over September 2008, and generated the second bestselling September on record after 2007 when Halo 3 released and sold over 3 million copies that month.

On a unit sales basis, the industry was flat. The increase in revenues is driven by a rise in average retail prices in all categories with the exception of console hardware in which the average retail price decreased 8% from last September.

Across all categories, the Xbox 360 platform contributed the most to industry unit and dollar sales as sales of 360 hardware, software and accessories comprised 32% of the month's revenues.

All three console manufacturers enjoyed the impact of lower prices on unit sales as the PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 realized an increase over August of 87%, 33%, and 31% respectively, on an average sales per week basis (keeping in mind September was a 5-week month compared to 4-weeks in August).

Compared to last September, the PS3 was the big winner, more than doubling last year's sales. This portrays a very strong consumer reaction to the price decrease as August and September both realized a lift of more than 70% over the prior month. This is the first month that the PS3 has captured the top spot in console hardware sales.

The best-selling platform overall remained the Nintendo DS which has topped hardware sales for 6 consecutive months.

Halo 3 certainly impacted the industry two years ago (Sep'07) when it was launched, and this year, Halo 3: ODST realized impressive sales making it the 6th best-selling SKU launch of all time. Five of the top 10 software items for the month were on the Xbox 360 platform.

We know all eyes are going to be on the Rock Band and Guitar Hero sales since the music/dance genre has been so closely followed by many this year. Both titles captured a spot in the top 10 for the month and at the item level, across all platforms, The Beatles: Rock Band came in third behind Halo 3: ODST and Madden NFL 10 while Guitar Hero 5 came in fourth. The Beatles: Rock Band achieved this level of success with an average retail price premium of 130% to the average retail price for software overall. The sales of Rock Band and Guitar Hero led the music/dance genre to a 72% dollar sales increase over September 2008.

Madden NFL 10 made up some ground this month. Although when launched in August the game sold 19% fewer units than its predecessor a year prior, with a second month of sales in, that deficit has been reduced to 13%, which bodes very well for the title through the holiday season.

The Wii Motion Plus captured the top spot for accessory sales this month, while Wii Remote Controller was the second best-selling item in terms of units, but generated the most dollar sales in the accessories category. Accessories for the 360 platform accounted for five of the top-10 accessory items for the month.

- This is the first month PS3 outsold Wii since both came out in November 2006. It's the first time PS3 outsold 360 since August 2008.
- All three consoles pretty big numbers imo.
- Rock Band Beatles outsold Guitar Hero 5, normally GH outsells RB. Total numbers: 595k for Rock Band: B on 360/Wii/PS3 and 499k for GH5 on 360/Wii/PS3/PS2.
- I am delighted with the strong sales of Mario & Luigi, it's a really good game.
- I wonder how well Scribblenauts did.
- Maybe the good Madden reviews were a reason for the better second month. For some extremely limited anecdotal evidence, I rented the game at launch after not really liking last year's game and didn't buy it until September, so I was one of those sales.
- Go Wii Motion Plus.

Last edited by Big Fo : 10-19-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added LTDs and YTDs for hardware
Old 10-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #235
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Amazing what happens when you make a good game.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:30 PM   #236
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Can't wait to get FIFA tomorrow.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #237
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

The FIFA commercials are some of the best I can remember in recent times. I wonder if the same ones I'm seeing here were aired in Europe.

September numbers for various non-top 10 games:

MURAMASA > 35K
Scribblenauts > 193K
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days > 201K
Gran Turismo PSP > 18K
Gran Turismo PSN Card Voucher <1k
All other seven games available on PSN Card Voucher combined <1.3k
Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny > 26K
Dead Space: Extraction > 9K
Motorstorm Arctic Edge <3k
Spyborgs ~500
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 <38k

Scribblenauts and Kingdom Hearts did quite well. Muramasa didn't do too bad for such a niche game. I think Wii owners must be getting tired of rail shooters although DS:E was only on sale for a few days of this month. GT PSP and the PSP Go and its accessories were only out for a few days also.

Last edited by Big Fo : 10-19-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #238
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
GT PSP and the PSP Go and its accessories were only out for a few days also.

I've got no interest in the GT PSP version of the game because it doesn't have a full career mode like the PS2/PS3 versions have. I'm a single-player gamer for the most part, so I don't want a game that doesn't have that mode, regardless of how good it does look.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-20-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:26 AM   #239
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Supposedly the 2009 Sony Bravia TVs(series W and above) will have netflix streaming within a month or so. Don't know how long/if this will translate to the Playstation, but the rep I talked to didn't think it was anytime soon.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #240
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Supposedly the 2009 Sony Bravia TVs(series W and above) will have netflix streaming within a month or so. Don't know how long/if this will translate to the Playstation, but the rep I talked to didn't think it was anytime soon.

You can officially toss out this rep as having any industry information.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #241
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by October 2009 Hardware

Wii -------------- 506.9K
Nintendo DS ---- 457.6K
PlayStation 3 --- 320.6K
Xbox 360 ------- 249.7K
PSP ------------- 174.6K
PlayStation 2 --- 117.8K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 10 Software

UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES (PS3; Oct-09) -- 537,000
WII FIT PLUS* (WII; Oct-09) ----------------------- 441,000
BORDERLANDS (360; Oct-09) ---------------------- 418,000
WII SPORTS RESORT* (WII; Jul-09) --------------- 314,000
NBA 2K10* (360; Oct-09) ---------------------------- 311,000
HALO 3: ODST (360; Sep-09) ----------------------- 271,000
NBA 2K10* (PS3; Oct-09) ----------------------------213,000
FORZA MOTORSPORT 3 (360; Oct-09) ------------- 175,000
KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS (NDS; Sep-09) --- 169,000
FIFA SOCCER 10 (360; Oct-09) --------------------- 156,000

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetime Sales

WII - 22.1m
360 - 16.5m
PS3 - 9.1m
NDS - 33.7m
PSP - 15.8m
PS2 - 44.8m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Current-gen/Last-gen console comparison

PS2 19,010,000 (36 months) (September 2003)
PS2 24,882,000 (48 months) (September 2004)

Xbox - 9,961,402 (36 months) (October 2004)
Xbox - 12,870,000 (48 months) (October 2005)

GCN - 8,003,241 (36 months) (October 2004)
GCN - 11,382,000 (48 months) (October 2005)

360 11,421,000 (36 months) (October 2008)
360 16,501,486 (48 months) (October 2009)

PS3 9,058,296 (36 months) (October 2009)

Wii 22,064,881 (36 months) (August 2009)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other game sales for October 2009 outside of top 10

BORDERLANDS (PS3) 113,000
Brutal Legend (360) - 150,000 units
Brutal Legend (PS3) - 66,000 units
DJ Hero (360) - 62,000 units
DJ Hero (PS3) - 39,000 units
DJ Hero (Wii) - 19,000 units
DJ Hero (PS2) - 3,300 units
GTA: Chinatown Wars PSP <10k
A Boy and His Blob (Wii) <10k
Demons Souls (PS3) >100k
TEKKEN 6 (PS3, X360) >175k, <300k (PS3 version sold more)
NBA 2K10 (PS2, PSP, WII, PC) 51k
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPD

The video games industry suffered another decline this month as compared to last October. This is the third best October on record, behind October 2007 and October 2008.

Based on typical industry seasonality, the industry is on track to generate full-year revenues in the range of $20-$21B in the U.S., which would put it just a bit below last year's sales of $21.3B.

The continued economic turmoil, and in particular the troubling unemployment rate, is undoubtedly impacting industry sales. Our latest Economy Tracker indicated that although consumers' general opinion about the economy is improving, their outlook on their own personal situation is worsening. If consumers' personal outlook continues to erode, they could very well be much more conservative with their holiday shopping this year.

Across all categories, the Xbox 360 platform contributed the greatest portion of total industry sales, representing 27% of total industry sales for the month. The PS3 was a close second at 26%, an 8 point improvement over last October.

With the excitement already being generated by Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, and the incredible buzz around upcoming titles, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and Assassin's Creed 2, November is poised to be a strong month for the industry.

Hardware sales were down 17% in units for the month, with the Wii and the Xbox 360 decreasing the most compared to October 2008. Compared to last month, which was a five-week month as compared to four weeks this month, Wii, PSP and NDS sales increased on an average sales per week basis, while the PS3 and Xbox 360 declined.

On a year-to-date basis, only the Xbox 360 and the NDS have realized unit sales increases over the same time frame last year. While overall portable hardware unit sales are down, dollar sales are up thanks to an increase in the average selling price of portable hardware generated by the higher price points of the new portable systems and bundles.

Year-to-date, the hardware category has experienced the sharpest decline in the industry, with unit sales down 10% compared to the same time period last year. Recent price cuts helped spur a one to two-month increase in unit sales, and this month's Wii sales reflect that boost, but the other platforms have not sustained the sales momentum post price reduction. It will be difficult to discern the impact of the price cut into November and December just because those are always the two best months for the industry anyway, and we'd expect to see a sizeable lift in hardware unit sales as a result of seasonality.

The PS3 exclusive game Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, captured the top spot for software sales this month, selling 537K units.

Software sales decreased 18% for the month, but only 11% on a units basis. The average retail price of software decreased 8%, which led to the greater dollar sales decline.

Wii Fit Plus came in second for the month. Roughly half the sales were generated by the bundled SKU, which points to a lot of newcomers to the franchise.

The top game for the month across all platforms was NBA 2K10, at 575K units. It was a great launch for the game, outselling last year's NBA 2K9 by 60% in its launch month. Sales on both the Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms improved substantially over last year.

The music/dance genre saw big declines this month compared to last year. The genre generated $53 million in sales as compared to $137 million last year. Both Rock Band: Beatles, and Guitar Hero 5 have the potential to be good gifting items for the holidays, so we should expect to see an uptick in sales over the next two months.

On a unit sales basis, accessories sales declined the least of any category this month. The Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers were the top two items for the month in both unit and dollar sales.

No real surprises on the hardware other than Wii being above DS maybe.

Uncharted 2 did well which is cool because it's a good game imo. The first game sold 117k in it's first month back in November 2007 when far fewer PS3s were out in the wild.

As the NPD statement said NBA2k10 did a lot better than last year.

FIFA 10 also did a lot better (around 50% more sales) than FIFA 09 on the 360, I think it's pretty safe to assume that is similarly true on PS3 as well given the game's reception and increase in the number of consoles out there. Another one I'm happy about, despite a few complaints (the bias toward strong players over dribblers and occasional ping-pongyness) it's quite good.

Not a great start for Band Hero.

Going by sales divided by number of consoles Borderlands did a lot better on 360 than PS3, Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls likely had something to do with that.

I have no idea what the sales expectations were for Demon's Souls but I'd guess it sold well for that type of game?

When the DS version of GTA: Chinatown Wars only sold around 90k in it's first month this spring it caused a furor in the gaming press with journalists wondering if all "mature" games are doomed to failure on Nintendo consoles and handhelds. With the PSP version selling a mere fraction of that disappointing number and considering the impressive sales of previous GTA games on the PSP (Liberty City Stories and Vice City Stories did over a million iirc - and I'm not saying I expected Chinatown Wars PSP to do anything like those numbers being a port of a DS game but under 10k is still very poor) I think it's more accurate to say (as I did back when the DS game came out) that most GTA fans became fans of the game when it went third-person/3D and did not like the switch back to top-down it made in Chinatown Wars. Somehow I doubt the PSP version doing poorly will be given the same amount of attention from the gaming media.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #242
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Some interesting indicators on console sales for the Black Friday weekend...........

Dubious Quality: Console Post Of The Week: A Buffet

Also, some pictures of the hype wagon going into overdrive in Japan as the Final Fantasy launch in Japan is less than two weeks away. It'll be interesting to see just how big of a boost the PS3 gets in Japan.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=6086&mp=1

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 12-04-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #243
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

For those that were looking to upgrade their Xbox 360 HDD, you might want to act now if you want a 120 GB HDD. They've discontinued that HDD in favor of a bigger one. Most stores are sold out of the 120 GB HDD, but you might be able to find one if you look around hard enough.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #244
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

December numbers came out today, November ones were never posted. Here are the two biggest months of the year:

November hardware:

* NDS - 1.70M
* Wii - 1.26M
* Xbox 360 - 819,500
* PS3 - 710,400
* PSP - 293,900
* PS2 - 203,100

November software:

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360) .......... 4.20 million
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3) ................... 1.87 million
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) ........................... 1.39 million
4. Assassin's Creed II (Xbox 360) ............................... 794,700
5. Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360) ....................................... 744,000
6. Wii Sports Resort (Wii) ........................................... 720,200
7. Wii Fit Plus (Wii) ................................................... 697,000
8. Assassin's Creed II (PS3) .................................... 448,400
9. Dragon Age: Origins (Xbox 360) ............................. 362,100
10. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) / Nintendo ................................. 315,000
11. Wii Play (Wii)
12. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)
13. Value Game Bundle $19.99 (Wii)
14. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (NDS)
15. Dragon Age: Origins (PS3)
16. Value Game Bundle $14.99 (NDS)
17. God of War Collection (PS3)
18. Halo 3: ODST (Xbox 360)
19. Borderlands (Xbox 360)
20. Madden NFL 10 (Xbox 360)

December hardware:

* Wii - 3.81 million
* NDS - 3.31 million
* PS3 - 1.36 million
* Xbox 360 - 1.31 million
* PSP - 654,700
* PS2 - 333,200

December software:

1. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Wii) ............................... 2.82 million
2. Wii Fit Plus (Wii) .................................................... 2.41 million
3. Wii Sports Resort (Wii) ........................................... 1.79 million
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360) .............. 1.63 million
5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3) ...................... 1.12 million
6. Wii Play (Wii) ........................................................ 1.01 million
7. Mario Kart Wii (Wii) ................................................. 936,100
8. Assassin's Creed II (Xbox 360) .................................. 783,100
9. Left 4 Dead 2 (Xbox 360) .......................................... 728,500
10. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS) ................. 656,700

Modern Warfare 2 on 360's first month blew Halo 3 out of the water for biggest one month sales.

Wii blew away PS2's record for most consoles sold in one month set back in December 2002 (2.7 mil). It's the first December were there were no supply constraints, there was a recent price drop, and a recently released massive hit in NSMBW but that is still an amazing number. DS was no slouch either of course.

Seeing a great platformer sell as well as NSMBW has just warms my heart. Assassin's Creed 2 and Mario & Luigi are two other really good games imo, I'm glad to see them do well also.

All of 2009:

Nintendo DS ....... 11,185,400
Wii ..................... 9,594,000
Xbox 360 ........... 4,770,700
PlayStation 3 .......4,334,600
PSP ................ 2,495,900
PlayStation 2 .... 1,799,900

2009 Software:

1. [360] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 5.8 million
2. [WII] Wii Sports Resort - 4.5 million
3. [WII] New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 4.2 million
5. [WII] Wii Fit - 3.5 million
4. [WII] Wii Fit Plus - 3.5 million
6. [WII] Mario Kart Wii - 3.1 million
7. [WII] Wii Play with Remote - 3.1 million
8. [PS3] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 3.0 million
9. [360] Halo 3: ODST -
10. [NDS] Pokemon Platinum Version - 2.0 million

December top 20, lifetime to date sales, sales of various other games for December to be posted when/if I come across them...

Last edited by Big Fo : 01-14-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #245
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Amazing to see the worldwide numbers come through as well. Wii was obviously the dominant console as was expected, but seeing the PS3 outsell the 360 by over 1M units is pretty impressive given the discounting on both sides of that battle.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #246
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
All of 2009:

Nintendo DS ....... 11,185,400
Wii ..................... 9,594,000
Xbox 360 ........... 4,770,700
PlayStation 3 .......4,334,600
PSP ................ 2,495,900
PlayStation 2 .... 1,799,900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Amazing to see the worldwide numbers come through as well. Wii was obviously the dominant console as was expected, but seeing the PS3 outsell the 360 by over 1M units is pretty impressive given the discounting on both sides of that battle.

??
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #247
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
??

Everything I posted was USA only.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #248
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ahh...
Old 01-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #249
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Everything I posted was USA only.

Correct. This is just off the top of my head, but PS3 sales worldwide for December 2009 were 3.8M and 360 sales worldwide for December 2009 were 2.7-2.8M. I think Wii sales worldwide were roughly 2-2.5x the PS3 numbers.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-15-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:29 AM   #250
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Looks like talk of the demise of the Wii was premature. It only sold 3M and still doubled each console, outselling them combined. The top 3 games were Wii games as were 5 of the top 7.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote