Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I bet you would've made a great girl.

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #20302
molson
General Manager

Youtube has been recommending me Cosby Show clips lately. That show is forever tainted, but it is still hilarious, now seeing it through an adult's eyes.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #20303
cuervo72
Head Coach

Lolo Jones is apparently still a virgin.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #20304
Edward64
Head Coach

TIL I learn that Dr. Pepper has more caffiene than Coke and Coke Zero.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #20305
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
TIL I learn that Dr. Pepper has more caffiene than Coke and Coke Zero.

But less than Diet Coke apparently
Old 09-17-2020, 03:17 PM   #20306
Izulde
Head Coach

Late to the party, but ice ruins drinks unless you have a straw. Ice against the teeth is an awful feeling.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #20307
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm not a for ice or against ice. I can do both but there is a point where it gets too watered down (e.g. large coke from McDonalds on a long car trip).

And ice in a glass hurting teeth when drinking? Not sure what the problem is but don't think that is normal.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-17-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #20308
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't know if the hoverboard incident was the reason for him getting caught, but "laughs on the 'Gram" seems like a silly reason to expose your criminal and unethical behavior to the world.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/17/us/al...rnd/index.html
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:35 AM   #20309
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Pour one out for my kitty. I made the call today, there's a home euthanasia service coming in a couple of hours.

This was my first cat I got on my own. This one's gonna be rough, but he's done.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #20310
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Awww, that sucks hard, CW.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:43 AM   #20311
Kodos
Resident Alien

That sucks. Sorry, CW. Tough day...
Old 09-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #20312
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Pour one out for my kitty. I made the call today, there's a home euthanasia service coming in a couple of hours.

This was my first cat I got on my own. This one's gonna be rough, but he's done.

Sorry for your loss, CW.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #20313
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

It's done. I will say this. The home service was a helluva lot easier on me than taking them to the vet.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:45 PM   #20314
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Probably much less stressful for your kitty too.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:49 PM   #20315
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

It was your last act of compassion for him, and a very important one.

I got some bad pet health news this week and I came across a quote from a book, not about pets specially, but it has really stuck with me.

“It’s an old, old story: I had a friend and we shared everything, and then she died and so we shared that, too.”

Last edited by molson : 09-18-2020 at 06:58 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #20316
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sorry to hear CW. After our summer of lost pets, the feeling is still very fresh in my mind. Sad day for sure.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #20317
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Old 09-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #20318
Edward64
Head Coach

Sorry to hear. You did do the right thing.

Our dog still has some years left but we can see the beginnings (hard to go up and down the stairs) and we dread going through it again.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #20319
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

anyone elses kids completely not in tune with the weather? My 10 year old will come down in pants and a sweatshirt when its 90 degrees out, but today it is 60 and he comes down to go apple picking in shorts and a tee shirt.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:18 AM   #20320
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
anyone elses kids completely not in tune with the weather? My 10 year old will come down in pants and a sweatshirt when its 90 degrees out, but today it is 60 and he comes down to go apple picking in shorts and a tee shirt.

My 12 year old is a shorts no matter the weather type of kid.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 09-19-2020, 12:34 PM   #20321
miami_fan
Coordinator

Are people in certain professions/roles still being held to a higher standard? It feels like that requirement has gone by the wayside for most professions/roles. In the rare cases that it does exist it is like we are holding the fifteen year old cashier at Burger King to that standard.

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-19-2020 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #20322
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Are people in certain professions/roles still being to a higher standard? It feels like that requirement has gone by the wayside for most professions/roles.

Interesting thought, as our random ones go.

Hmm.

By and large, yeah, I'd say conduct/image/behavioral standards have pretty much been abandoned for virtually all professions. Part of the regression of the "i'm okay, you're okay, anything goes" era.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #20323
QuikSand
lolzcat

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:13 PM   #20324
Edward64
Head Coach

Disturb's cover of "The Sound of Silence" is arguably better than Simon & Garfunkel's version. I think it depends on what mood you are in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg...nnel=Disturbed
Old 09-20-2020, 04:34 PM   #20325
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Disturb's cover of "The Sound of Silence" is arguably better than Simon & Garfunkel's version. I think it depends on what mood you are in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg...nnel=Disturbed

Bobaflex version is better than Disturbed's.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:47 PM   #20326
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Bobaflex version is better than Disturbed's.

Certainly better "scenery" in the official video.

I thought the Pentatonix version was pretty good also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdVj...el=PTXofficial

It's watching these music videos that make me think ... why can't I be born with a natural singing talent?

Paul Simon is one of the greatest songwriters in my lifetime.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-20-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #20327
Edward64
Head Coach

BTW, anyone buying and collecting MP3's anymore or are you just paying the streaming services?
Old 09-20-2020, 05:34 PM   #20328
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I am. I will always own my music. I am not going to depend on the whims of a streaming service as to whether I have access to particular music. Plus, some stuff I listen to you can't get on streaming services. And, I have so much stuff on CD + MP3, I don't have the time, energy or effort to try to remember which version I have access to. I've bought more MP3 albums in the past 6-8 years than CDs in probably 25 years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:45 PM   #20329
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm still trying to own my music, best I can. But I also don't listen a ton

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #20330
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Are people in certain professions/roles still being held to a higher standard?

I would say that as lawyers we are, but that is in part b/c (at least in my office) we are always in court, so we are constantly in front of judges, which tends to keep one on one's professional toes.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:05 PM   #20331
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
BTW, anyone buying and collecting MP3's anymore or are you just paying the streaming services?

Literally couldn't tell you the last thing I bought -- digital or physical copy.

Would have been something that came bundled with either a ticket sale or a t-shirt/merch sale. And of the last 2-3 of those, I couldn't tell you where any of them (physical CDs) even are.

If Spotify goes away, it goes away. I'll live. The decline of worthwhile music in the past couple years (+/-) have cooled my enthusiasm considerably, despite still spending 10-20 hours a week doing weekly playlists. It's more a chore than a pleasure at this point and I spend several times more hours compiling those than I do actually listening to them.

If they weren't my kid's primary source for regular listening, I'd likely have stopped already.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #20332
Ksyrup

I've been fortunate to have been able to find all sorts of new stuff to enjoy in the past 2 decades while a lot of my friends and others about my age are stuck looking for bands that sound like Thin Lizzy or whatever 70s/80s bands they can't let go of. As much as I love music, I'd hate to be in that head space.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-20-2020, 07:29 PM   #20333
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I've been fortunate to have been able to find all sorts of new stuff to enjoy in the past 2 decades while a lot of my friends and others about my age are stuck looking for bands that sound like Thin Lizzy or whatever 70s/80s bands they can't let go of. As much as I love music, I'd hate to be in that head space.

Ironically, there's really not a shortage of those bands you say they're looking for. Hell, Black Star Riders effectively ARE Thin Lizzy (minus the deceased members).
Old 09-20-2020, 08:11 PM   #20334
Kodos
Resident Alien

I don't use the streaming music services at all. I mostly do downloads, although certain groups I'll still buy the CD. Although, now that I think of it, my laptop doesn't have a CD drive. So maybe I'm all digital now.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #20335
Ksyrup

I still buy special edition CDs straight from the artist - signed, expanded tracks, etc. But all I do with them is burn to MP3 for the car.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-20-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:24 AM   #20336
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Random thought: There are many people who are hungry to watch Geoguessr streams on Twitch. I stream Geoguessr on Twitch. I've now chatted with a lot of hungry people, and I think I've even made some of them thirsty.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #20337
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I still buy special edition CDs straight from the artist - signed, expanded tracks, etc. But all I do with them is burn to MP3 for the car.

What software do you use to burn to MP3 and are you able to do it without degradation in quality?
Old 09-21-2020, 10:10 AM   #20338
Ksyrup

I have a free program called Ashampoo and it allows you to burn FLAC, WAV or 320kbs MP3, among others. I usually just go with 320. I listen to 99% of my music in the car so it doesn't make a big difference, and to have 20K songs on my phone or available in my car, I can't use FLAC or WAV because the files are too big.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-21-2020 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #20339
lungs
Pro Rookie

The last use I got out of my CD’s was padding the insurance check when my house burned down. I can’t remember how much it was but I’m pretty sure it added a few thousand to my final settlement. I had pretty well digitized the whole collection anyway so I didn’t lose the actual music.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:15 AM   #20340
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I have a free program called Ashampoo and it allows you to burn FLAC, WAV or 320kbs MP3, among others. I usually just go with 320. I listen to 99% of my music in the car so it doesn't make a big difference, and to have 20K songs on my phone or available in my car, I can't use FLAC or WAV because the files are too big.

Thanks, I have a collection of CDs that I need to digitize.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #20341
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Thanks, just downloaded the software and did my first CD rip. The file sizes are around 9-12MB.

(Weird hearing my PC DVD player hum)

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-21-2020 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #20342
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There's knowledge. And then there's wisdom.

Knowledge is knowing that, yes, I could have easily enough eaten a sixth hot dog on AYCE night at the local hot dog joint.

Wisdom is knowing that I'm happier for the rest of the evening if I stop after number five.

Besides, that way I had room for a donut after I got home
Old 09-21-2020, 08:19 PM   #20343
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
There's knowledge. And then there's wisdom.

Knowledge is knowing that, yes, I could have easily enough eaten a sixth hot dog on AYCE night at the local hot dog joint.

Wisdom is knowing that I'm happier for the rest of the evening if I stop after number five.

Besides, that way I had room for a donut after I got home

I think after the third hotdog, payback will come regardless ... you might as well have eaten the sixth.

Speaking of donuts ... I know there are more "fancy" donuts out there, but nothing ... nothing beats a krispy Kreme glazed donut fresh out of the oven.

I don't think I've read an update recently from you re: Athens and coronavirus masks & social distancing. I assume it has gotten worse?
Old 09-21-2020, 08:26 PM   #20344
Atocep
Coordinator

Donuts are a big thing in the PNW. Krispy Kreme has some decent donuts if they're fresh, but there are some amazing donut shops around here that aren't tourist traps (Voodoo).
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #20345
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Donuts are a big thing in the PNW. Krispy Kreme has some decent donuts if they're fresh, but there are some amazing donut shops around here that aren't tourist traps (Voodoo).

If you ever get into Ballard try a place called Cupcake Royal. amazing cupcakes and donuts. Top Pot is pretty good also.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:35 PM   #20346
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If you ever get into Ballard try a place called Cupcake Royal. amazing cupcakes and donuts. Top Pot is pretty good also.

There's a Top Pot in Tacoma. They're one of the places I was thinking of. House of Donuts in Lakewood is right there with them.

If my wife sees Cupcake Royale's website we'll be making a weekend trip to Ballard.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:38 PM   #20347
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Looks like they moved to Capitol Hill. The salter caramel cupcake is one of the best things I have ever eaten.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:48 PM   #20348
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah, but do those donuts literally melt in your mouth?

Glazed Krispy Kreme literally does if fresh out of the oven.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:19 AM   #20349
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think I've read an update recently from you re: Athens and coronavirus masks & social distancing. I assume it has gotten worse?

I hardly pay it any mind here honestly, since I've only made three purchases in Clarke County (home of Athens) in the couple months since our virtually useless governor dropped his lawsuit and let the local idiot govt run free. Our regular Mexican restaurant a couple times and an Arbys drive thru once. Basically, the county has no bearing on my life anymore except for the annual tax payment.

But, for you, I googled.

The increase from August to Sept was a bit higher (1,400 new cases) than July to August (1,100) new cases was. But that period includes the return of students to town, so it really doesn't provide a consistent picture of rate. I mean, that's like getting an entirely new population dropped in your lap (some of which count toward here, some of which count toward their county of residence) so I don't know how to parse that out (student figures are not allowed to say X of these are attributed to Y county)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-22-2020 at 12:19 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #20350
miami_fan
Coordinator

An email from reddit somehow made it into my inbox and thus reminded me I signed for reddit about two years ago. I have never posted on there and I might have lurked three times since I signed up. I went to reddit to lurk today. The "What's an industry secret in the field that you work in?" thread might be my favorite non-FOFC thread on the internet.