Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
JPhillips
General Manager

'Butt Drag' Wrestler Faces Sexual Assault Charge

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...ate&id=7830788

Quote:
FRESNO, Calif. (KABC) -- A Fresno high school student is headed to court this week accused of committing a sex crime against a teammate on a wrestling mat.

At issue is a controversial wrestling move called the butt drag, which some say amounts to sexual assault.

Preston Hill, 17, has been charged with sexual battery after he performed the move on another student during wrestling practice. Hill is also facing expulsion from Buchanan High School, which is just outside of Fresno.

The move calls for one wrestler to grab the other between the buttocks to turn him.

For Ross Rice, the father of the alleged victim, the move went a little too far.

"This kid basically targeted my son, pinned him to the ground and assaulted him," he said.

Rice said his 15-year-old son was painfully penetrated for at least 30 seconds by his teammate's fingers during a wrestling drill last year.

Hill claims he was taught the butt drag by his coaches.

"They're sweating and grappling with one another," said Charles Magill, Hill's attorney. "There is a certain amount of give and take that's involved when you're in that type of an intimate sport. We defended by saying that the conduct that he's alleged to have done is overblown and completely out of context with what happened."

Encino's Crespi Carmelite High School wrestling coach Mike Odman says the butt drag is a legal move, but he would never teach his students to penetrate an opponent with their fingers.

"There's nothing in wrestling tactics that would say when in doubt, insert," Odman said. "That never comes into play."

The alleged victim told police the older boy made a threatening gesture to him before they wrestled, a claim Hill denies.

Legal analyst Dana Cole says a jury will now have the tough job of determining whether this incident was premeditated.

"The judge is going to have to instruct the jury just what a sexual battery is and whether there was sexual intent in connection with this case," Cole said.

The boy says results from a doctor's examination prove he was slightly injured after the incident.

The trial starts Thursday in Fresno County. The accused student is also fighting his expulsion.

JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
cuervo72
Head Coach

If there was ever a need for analbumcover...
Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
bhlloy
Coordinator

uh, wow. I was ready to come in here to read another story of political correctness gone mad but yeah. very glad I never wrestled and maybe this shouldn't be a legal move anymore?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #5
molson
General Manager

This was actually Ted Dibiase's signature move in the late 80s.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

This kid's got a great future if he goes pro:

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I've been debating about posting this since I heard about it. I just didn't feel I could do it justice.

There was another piece in the paper, that I've quoted below. Too bad the above article was on the front page.

Quote:
By Bill McEwen / The Fresno Bee

I suppose it's too late for apologies and rational discussion in the case of the wrestling move that Clovis police and the Fresno County District Attorney's Office say was sexual battery.
We're not much for letting principals, parents, coaches and young people work things out for the benefit of all parties these days. Instead, we're quick to call the cops or the lawyers or the media and move school disputes into the public arena -- where opinions form hard and fast and students may lose their privacy.
If you missed the story, here's the summary. A former Buchanan High School wrestler is headed to a juvenile court trial Thursday on allegations that he committed a misdemeanor on a younger teammate by performing a "butt drag" during a practice session last summer.
The father of the accused said that his son was taught the move -- which involves grabbing the buttocks of an opponent to gain leverage -- in middle school and that it's a commonly used technique. A police report says that the older wrestler also stuck his fingers where they didn't belong, constituting molestation.
I asked Dennis DeLiddo, the former Fresno State wrestling coach, about the butt drag. "It's a regular move. You grab the top of the rear end and steer it one way or the other. Once every 8 million times, your finger might [inadvertently] get in there."
So, the butt drag doesn't involve anything else?
"Not unless coaches are teaching it differently than I did," DeLiddo said.
This case could've been best resolved without the cops and the courts. The parents and principal meet. The older wrestler apologizes. The kids shake hands. The principal, if not the district superintendent, tells the coach there will be no more butt drags with probing fingers. Finally, the principal tells the coach to keep a closer eye out for hazing and bullying.
Both wrestlers return to the team. The aggressor is suspended for a few matches and is required to do community service at the school. A lesson is learned. A problem is resolved. There are consequences for what the older wrestler did. The school and the district take a stand against an inappropriate wrestling move. The two students are spared of much of the notoriety rising from this now public situation.
But the cops were called and a report was filed. And, most curiously, the District Attorney's Office -- which often complains about being short-staffed and overworked -- decided to go forward with sexual battery charges against a 17-year-old who performed a move taught him by coaches years before. Moreover, the alleged assault took place in a room filled with coaches and teammates and no one said a word about it at the time.
My hope is that the judge in Thursday's proceedings will have more common sense at his or her disposal than what the D.A.'s Office has shown thus far.

It is pretty rough, the kid charged has a DA really pushing the case hard.
Here is a followup article, stating that the DA offered a deal to make it go away.

Anyone who has wrestled knows that you can sometime be embarrassed by what happens during a match. There is a lot of touching. That is what the sport is all about. Now is it possible that this kid did intentionally violate the other as retribution? Sure. Is it possible that this kid performed perfectly legitimate maneuver, and as a consequence inadvertently "checked the oil"? Sure. I don't believe the answer to the real potential problem here lies in examining what happened on the mat. If there was bullying, then address it as bullying. The specific "mechanics" of the bullying can be addressed far short of the approach taken.

The school district and the officials involved are all about zero tolerance, rather than addressing a potential real issue with a sensible response.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Not only that, but now they found a kid willing to come forward regarding the gesture the one kid made. This to me smacks of one kid trying to get back at another.

Heck, I had to go to court one time to testify against a kid who was claiming assault with a weapon because he screwed up a catch when someone threw him a football and he got smacked in the face.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote