Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #51
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Something happened with 1st and 2nd, 0 outs in which they called it a fielders choice. Must have been some sort of defensive screw up. The bases were then loaded with 0 outs.

Should any of them runs have been earned?
On a grounder to third McGahee tried tagging Phillips out on his way to third, he missed him and didn't get the throw to first in time.

mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:35 PM   #52
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Something happened with 1st and 2nd, 0 outs in which they called it a fielders choice. Must have been some sort of defensive screw up. The bases were then loaded with 0 outs.

Should any of them runs have been earned?

McGhee tried to tag Phillips going to 3rd, missed him, didn't get the out at 1st fast enough. All runs are earned.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #53
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
On a grounder to third McGahee tried tagging Phillips out on his way to third, he missed him and didn't get the throw to first in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
McGhee tried to tag Phillips going to 3rd, missed him, didn't get the out at 1st fast enough. All runs are earned.

Thank you!

I know thats how they call that play but its still odd that they dont call that an error when clearly the fielder screwed up.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:07 PM   #54
rowech
Pro Starter

A couple years back, with MLB Extra Innings you could track fantasy baseball players. Is that no longer an option?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:19 PM   #55
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN needs to do away with this new scoreboard. I don't remember last year's being like this. Also, the pitch counter? We don't need one of those when we have announcers who like to let us know every 10 pitches how many has been thrown. Also, the location of the box is horrible.

Last edited by mauchow : 03-31-2011 at 06:20 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #56
Tellistto
College Prospect

In reference to the schedule, they are paying a guy to watch every single game this season and tweet about it. Perhaps they had that in mind when they made the schedule. Stranger crap has happened, I'm sure.

Tell
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:02 PM   #57
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Let's hope the next 161 aren't like today for the Cards. Errors, bad base-running, a blown save, 11 men stranded and Pujols going 0-5 with 3 DPs. Yuck...
Old 03-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #58
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Also, the location of the box is horrible.

It is very bad. They need it to move automatically to the corner for HD feeds.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #59
MrBug708
Head Coach

It's always a good day when the Dodgers can give the girl the loss
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #60
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
From your lips to the baseball gods' ears.

Don't worry, I am sure the Dodgers will blow a big lead and lose in some heartbreaking fashion during a game against the Phillies this year. It's tradition by now.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #61
PilotMan
Head Coach

I love a good pitchers dual, and you're right Bug, a win over Lincecum is always a great way to start. However, I still have no optimism for this year at all.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:43 AM   #62
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Nothing says opening day like...

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #63
Butter
Coordinator

He looks more and more like my grandma every day.

What a way to open the season for the Reds though. And to counter that, Pujols grounded into 3 DPs. It really couldn't get much better.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 AM   #64
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto View Post
In reference to the schedule, they are paying a guy to watch every single game this season and tweet about it. Perhaps they had that in mind when they made the schedule. Stranger crap has happened, I'm sure.

Tell

Not literally. That's what the ad said, but they clarified thaat they person would not literally have to watch every single game.

While yesterday's schedule was a little curious, in previous years, not every team plays on opening day as someone stated on the previous page. More than half did, but the rest used to open on Tuesday. So Monday would be a fairly full schedule, and Tuesday would be only a few games.

I guess they couldn't really do that here, with the "next day" being a Friday. That would have taken away too many Friday night games from the schedule, hurting attendance.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #65
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Don't worry, I am sure the Dodgers will blow a big lead and lose in some heartbreaking fashion during a game against the Phillies this year. It's tradition by now.

By Dodgers, you mean Broxton?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #66
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

**cough**

Giants Fan Beaten: Giants Fan Critically Beaten After Dodgers Home Opener - ktla.com

(backs away slowly)
Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #67
Ksyrup

Damn, the news is depressing. I click on that story, and on the right side under Popular Stories, are these:

Morbidly Obese Man Dies After Spending 2 years in Same Chair

Man Brutally Beaten for Wearing Pink Shoelaces

12-year-old Accused of Stabbing Romantic Rival with Steak Knife

Parents Accused of Drywalling Children into Feces Covered Room
Old 04-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #68
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:

Certainly sucks. There is a pretty bad gang element that attends a Dodger game and I certainly don't advocate any Giants fans ever wearing their clothes to the game. The remnants of the Raider culture
Old 04-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #69
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Damn, the news is depressing. I click on that story, and on the right side under Popular Stories, are these:

Ya, I was thinking about how many people in the LA metro area were beat up, killed, robbed, vandalized, ect. over the last few days. Probably a fair amount. It'd probably be strange of one of those things didn't happen at a LA/Giants game at least every once in a while - with all that alchohol, all those young men prone to violence, ect. (Of course, this will be tied to regular, non-gang-banging Dodger fans on message boards across the country for trolling purposes, but that's just the way it works now.)

Last edited by molson : 04-01-2011 at 11:15 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #70
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ya, I was thinking about how many people in the LA metro area were beat up, killed, robbed, vandalized, ect. over the last few days. Probably a fair amount. It'd probably be strange of one of those things didn't happen at a LA/Giants game at least every once in a while - with all that alchohol, all those young men prone to violence, ect. (Of course, this will be tied to regular, non-gang-banging Dodger fans on message boards across the country for trolling purposes, but that's just the way it works now.)

Those news stories aren't Los Angeles based
Old 04-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #71
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Those news stories aren't Los Angeles based

The point was that its a good bet there was a fair amount of crime in LA the last few days. Only when that crime is at a sporting event do we try to make it this huge, meaningful event that we can draw inferences from.

Last edited by molson : 04-01-2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #72
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The point was that its a good bet there was a fair amount of crime in LA the last few days. Only when that crime is at a sporting event do we try to make it this huge, meaningful event that we can draw inferences from.

I think Sak's point is that there are certainly plenty of crimes being committed in Philly, plus a thriving gang environment across the way in Camden too, and yet Philly-related sports incidents get reported as "meaningful".
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:29 AM   #73
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I think Sak's point is that there are certainly plenty of crimes being committed in Philly, plus a thriving gang environment across the way in Camden too, and yet Philly-related sports incidents get reported as "meaningful".

And I agree with that point too.

I think it goes back to the colors/tribe mentality of being a sports fan. Nobody hears about someone getting beat up on subway and then goes into a tirade about violent public transportation riders. And of course, we've managed to eliminate most other kinds of charactertics as "violent" in open public coversation (race, immigration status, etc.) But we still yearn to judge so what's left - sports team affiliation! It's the perfect and most sensible (and most PC) outlet for that menality when you think about it.

Edit: And yes, obviously there was no tirade here....and maybe if we're lucky there won't be (they've taken up 10+ pages here in the past.)

Last edited by molson : 04-01-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #74
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

You made my point much more eloquent than I could. If this had happened in Philly a certain few posters would have went from 6 to midnight with excitement about bashing Philly fans.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #75
Ksyrup

Brilliant!

Rany on the Royals: 1985.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #76
Ksyrup

Murray Chass says that Roy Halladay forgot how to be a winner today.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #77
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
You made my point much more eloquent than I could. If this had happened in Philly a certain few posters would have went from 6 to midnight with excitement about bashing Philly fans.

Maybe because everytime an incident happens in another city Philly fans are quick to point it out. Just saying...

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #78
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is it too much to ask that Marlon Byrd not have his helmet saturated by pinetar on opening day? It's like he pulled a BP on the Gulf Coast on that thing.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:32 PM   #79
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Maybe because everytime an incident happens in another city Philly fans are quick to point it out. Just saying...

Actually I believe you have your facts reversed. Check out the thread on that topic. I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy in it all. It's no big deal because it didn't happen in Philly, however if it did, there would be pages of posts on the subject.

Back to baseball...the Phillies relievers are a bunch of bums.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #80
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Neil Walker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #81
RedKingGold
College Starter

Mayberry and Valdez being walk off heroes for the Phillies? Now I've seen everything.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 03:40 PM   #82
samifan24
Pro Starter

Tribe pitching is already in midseason form!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Tribe is just waiting for Cribbs to return a kick for a TD and get them back into the game.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #84
mckerney
Coordinator

Chicago Cubs Can't Believe They're Doing This Again | The Onion Sports Network
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #85
lungs
Pro Rookie

Break up the Pirates!
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #86
MikeVic
Head Coach

Jays going nuts.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #87
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Strange that no one else really wanted Pavano in the offseason. Weird.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #88
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

QUIT THROWING SHIT ON THE FIELD HOSERS
Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #89
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

KILA!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #90
kingfc22
Head Coach

Stop kicking the ball all over the field!!! 5 errors in 16 innings. @$%_#
Old 04-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #91
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Stop kicking the ball all over the field!!! 5 errors in 16 innings. @$%_#

I'm kinda enjoying that, actually.

Pay no attention to kingfc22, Giants.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #92
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
KILA!

SI

I watched that. I really don't get what managers are thinking when they trust the bottom of the 9th inning in a tie game to a guy who has like 20 MLB innings to his credit. I know Mike Scoscia apparently walks on water, but those kinds of decisions just make no sense at all.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #93
Suicane75
Coordinator

Looking at the attendances last night, 34,000 was second lowest. The lowest of the lowest? A stout 13,000 in KC.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #94
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm excited for my old friend Zach Britton, who makes his MLB debut for Baltimore on Sunday. Zach was one of the nicest guys I'd ever met in the minors. So happy for him.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #95
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Looking at the attendances last night, 34,000 was second lowest. The lowest of the lowest? A stout 13,000 in KC.

Oof

Well, we are expected to really, really suck this year

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:27 AM   #96
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
A male fan in the ninth row got hit in the right temple by Buster Posey’s flying bat as the Giants catcher struck out to end the seventh. After being tended to by medics, the man held up the bat as the crowd cheered. The bat sailed over owner Frank McCourt’s box seat in the third row.

Damn.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:56 AM   #97
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I watched that. I really don't get what managers are thinking when they trust the bottom of the 9th inning in a tie game to a guy who has like 20 MLB innings to his credit. I know Mike Scoscia apparently walks on water, but those kinds of decisions just make no sense at all.

That view of Scioscia is more prevalent amongst the media and among fans outside of SoCal than among Angels fans. We're aware of his idiosyncrasies and they annoy us to no end. Problem is, as much as we complain about going too "small ball", starting too many defensive options over offensive options or speed options over power options, and staying too long with some options in the pen while going too short with others (or with the starting pitchers), he usually ends up winning. So it's hard to make a case he's wrong about some things.

As for last night, Scioscia only had three veteran options in the ninth in Rodney and Takahashi and Bulger. Rodney is the Cardiac King and the closer besides (so Scioscia would have to get over the "closer with a lead" hump to bring in Rodney). Takahashi was awful on Thursday. Bulger was awful all spring and is only on the squad because Scott Downs is hurt. Scioscia basically had Kohn, Thompson and Jepsen available. Not much experience there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-02-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #98
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Actually I believe you have your facts reversed. Check out the thread on that topic. I am merely pointing out the hypocrisy in it all. It's no big deal because it didn't happen in Philly, however if it did, there would be pages of posts on the subject.

Back to baseball...the Phillies relievers are a bunch of bums.

Most LA people know we have a really bad element that goes to a Dodger game. It's unfortunate, but we can't do much about it.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #99
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

Kauffman Stadium: The Twins' home away from home whenever they play there
Old 04-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #100
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Kauffman Stadium: The Twins' home away from home whenever they play there

Sounds like the Nationals stadium for the Phils.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote