On the whole, pretty polite fans when visiting

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #102
molson
General Manager

It seems odd for the Red Sox to hit Crawford #3, with all the good hitters they have.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #103
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
It seems odd for the Red Sox to hit Crawford #3, with all the good hitters they have.

I was thinking that same thing when watching them the other day. Why A Gon 5th?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:33 PM   #104
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Tommy Hanson has been pretty sloppy so far.

edit: and then Rick Ankiel hits a 2-run homer, Nationals up 4-1 in the 3rd.

Last edited by Big Fo : 04-02-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #105
McLovin
Mascot

Kyle Drabek had a pretty nice debut against the Twins. 7 innings pitched, 1 hit, 3 walks and striking out 7. Not too bad !!
McLovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #106
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
As for last night, Scioscia only had three veteran options in the ninth in Rodney and Takahashi and Bulger. Rodney is the Cardiac King and the closer besides (so Scioscia would have to get over the "closer with a lead" hump to bring in Rodney). Takahashi was awful on Thursday. Bulger was awful all spring and is only on the squad because Scott Downs is hurt. Scioscia basically had Kohn, Thompson and Jepsen available. Not much experience there.

Watching the game right now. Point taken.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #107
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap- that game went from defeat to victory in record time.

Sorry, Angels fans, we have no delusions that the Royals will do anything this season. But if you're hoping to get to the playoffs, team's gotta get better. Matt Treanor with a walk (what was Santana thinking) and then not being pinch hit for... *sigh* sometimes you can make the wrong moves and still win.

SI

Old 04-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #108
Ksyrup

Wow, did MLB actually lose the Saturday afternoon restriction on the pay-per-view package? Tigers/Yanks is on Fox, but I'm watching the other games. I can't believe they made a change that benefits the fans!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #109
Ksyrup

Now that I think about it, all the early games started at 1 and the Yanks/Tigers at 4, so maybe they haven't changed anything, just nade sue that game was the only one starting at 4. Nats/Braves is still going, but that's because of a rain/hail delay. Next set of games isn't until 7pm.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #110
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Now that I think about it, all the early games started at 1 and the Yanks/Tigers at 4, so maybe they haven't changed anything, just nade sue that game was the only one starting at 4. Nats/Braves is still going, but that's because of a rain/hail delay. Next set of games isn't until 7pm.

Are the Cards/Pads and Giants/Dodgers on currently? That might answer your question.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:51 PM   #111
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I'm a bit baffled by the early talk about the Royals being so terrible. Granted, our payroll is ridiculously low, but that's mainly because we got rid of Greinke and several huge dead-weight contracts. The players we have playing right now may not have huge dollar amounts, but it's full of prospects that have a lot of potential. I'd rather watch that anyday.

2-1 baby.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #112
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Are the Cards/Pads and Giants/Dodgers on currently? That might answer your question.

Yeah, that answers my question.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #113
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm a bit baffled by the early talk about the Royals being so terrible.

When was the last time they put a good product on the field?

Plus Hochever is their #1 starter. Im not sure it could get worse than that.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-02-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #114
Ksyrup

Quote:
I'm a bit baffled by the early talk about the Royals being so terrible. Granted, our payroll is ridiculously low, but that's mainly because we got rid of Greinke and several huge dead-weight contracts. The players we have playing right now may not have huge dollar amounts, but it's full of prospects that have a lot of potential. I'd rather watch that anyday.

2-1 baby.

The current team is full of year or two placeholders, especially in the starting rotation. And 2/3s of today's starting lineup shouldn't be with the team in two years, or maybe bench players at best (Francoeur, Cabrera, Getz, Treanor, Betemit, Aviles, etc.).

If things work out right, this team could be special in 2012 or 13, similar to the Rays a couple of years ago or the Braves in 91 (although who knows if it can be sustained).
Old 04-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #115
Izulde
Head Coach

White Sox offense has started off impressive. 15-10 and 8-3 to go 2-0 so far.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #116
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
White Sox offense has started off impressive. 15-10 and 8-3 to go 2-0 so far.

As impressive as the Sox have been the Twins have been equally unimpressive. Their hitters have come out of the gates slow, the pitching has been brutal and even the fielding has been subpar.

Very unimpressed with Nishioka especially in the field.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-02-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #117
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

2-1 baby.

You're confusing 2 points. Yes, I think most fans would rather watch young and crappy rather than old and crappy because at least with the former, there's hope. There are quite a few young guys (Escobar, Crow, Jeffress, Collins, later callups) who we're getting our first look at. And, on top of that, I'd like to see what we have with some of these guys who are not quite young but not quite old (Pena, Ka'ahuie, Francis off of an injury, etc). And that's on top of the young, good players (Butler, Soria).

That said, the rotation is awful with the potential to be merely mediocre as the ceiling. And the lineup has huge holes in it at OF (Cabrera, Francouer), C (any day Treanor plays), possibly SS (Escobar looked bad last year but there's hope), and 2B/3B are potentially pretty bad (Getz, Betemit)

SI

Old 04-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #118
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Royals have a bright future in Hosmer, Moustakas, Myers, Montgomery and Duffy, among others, and most of those guys should debut in KC in the next 12-16 months. The Royals will be really nasty in about 2013 when most of those guys are up and acclimated to MLB play.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #119
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully, tho there is a lot of talk about the realistic impact of a great farm system when your GM is incapable of judging major league talent

SI

Old 04-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #120
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Hopefully, tho there is a lot of talk about the realistic impact of a great farm system when your GM is incapable of judging major league talent

SI

Yeah, Dayton Moore was not a good hire at all. The farm system is doing its part for the Royals, though, so really the only way Moore could hurt long term planning is if he trades some of their prospects or messes up their service clocks.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #121
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is this the part where this thread turns into RoyalsTalk?

Last edited by stevew : 04-02-2011 at 09:40 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #122
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Yeah, Dayton Moore was not a good hire at all. The farm system is doing its part for the Royals, though, so really the only way Moore could hurt long term planning is if he trades some of their prospects or messes up their service clocks.

I don't think he'll do that (service clocks- I think he's going to be smart about that- trades, not sure, as he traded away some Baird guys but his guys he clutches hard). But he's still going to have to put some more major league talent around it as some of those guys aren't going to do well. And he's going to have to give the correct guys a shot- just because he has a scrappy, fast CF with a low OBP doesn't mean you should play him over a DDJ-type.

SI

Old 04-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #123
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Is this the part where this thread turns into RoyalsTalk?

I'll join in on Reds or whoever talk- I'm just not as knowledgeable

And, hey, we've played 50% more baseball this year than everyone else (save the Giants/Dodgers- I was listening to Timmay/Kershaw the other night on MLB audio and taking in some Vin Scully)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-02-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 AM   #124
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Holy crap- that game went from defeat to victory in record time.

Sorry, Angels fans, we have no delusions that the Royals will do anything this season. But if you're hoping to get to the playoffs, team's gotta get better. Matt Treanor with a walk (what was Santana thinking) and then not being pinch hit for... *sigh* sometimes you can make the wrong moves and still win.

SI

The team is still a work in progress this year, especially with Kendry still out, and several rookies or near rookies on the roster at the moment.

Keep in mind, this actually comes down to the pen. If the pen is a little better than it has been, the Angels are likely 3-0 this year. The pen has gotten off to poor starts the few couple years for some reason, and that's even more apparent this year with Downs hurt and several kids in the pen.

In the end, the Angels will still be there and contending in the AL West. Three games isn't a good sample to go on.

All that said, of course, I am beyond annoyed at the team right now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #125
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The team is still a work in progress this year, especially with Kendry still out, and several rookies or near rookies on the roster at the moment.

Keep in mind, this actually comes down to the pen. If the pen is a little better than it has been, the Angels are likely 3-0 this year. The pen has gotten off to poor starts the few couple years for some reason, and that's even more apparent this year with Downs hurt and several kids in the pen.

In the end, the Angels will still be there and contending in the AL West. Three games isn't a good sample to go on.

I think the fielding has cost them as much as the bullpen as those two go hand-in-hand at giving up hits. However, the bolded part is obviously the most important.

SI

Old 04-03-2011, 10:10 AM   #126
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'll be rooting for Zach Britton as he makes his MLB debut for the Orioles this afternoon. Zach is one of the nicest guys I ever met while working in the minors, a truly good guy who was nice to everyone from the manager to the ushers to every fan waiting for an autograph. You can't say that about everyone anymore. I'm glad he made it to the show.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #127
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
I'll be rooting for Zach Britton as he makes his MLB debut for the Orioles this afternoon. Zach is one of the nicest guys I ever met while working in the minors, a truly good guy who was nice to everyone from the manager to the ushers to every fan waiting for an autograph. You can't say that about everyone anymore. I'm glad he made it to the show.

Bet he's a serial killer.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #128
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I think the issue the Angels have is going to be Texas. Those guys just mash the hell out of the ball. You go through their lineup and there just isn't any really weak spots.

1B - Moreland - going to hit 20 and play solid defense
2B - Kinsler - One of the more underrated players in the game
SS - Andrus - not a great hitter yet, but fast as hell and certainly not a "gimme" out
3B - Beltre - Terrific defense and hitter
C - Napoli - Going to hit 20 again
OF - Hamilton, Cruz, Murphy - A couple of MVP candidates and a decent young player
DH - Young - A guy who can fill in just about anywhere. And he'll hit wherever he's doing it.

The only hope for the Angels is injuries to Texas which could happen. Unless the Rangers injuries are severe, I don't see the Angels within 5 games of them at the end of the year, even if they play at their best.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 AM   #129
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I think the bullpen on the Royals end has been that good the other way. Crow/Tejada/Soria is an excellent trio to have for end-game situations. Crow has been nails in tough situations thus far.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #130
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Crow has become a fan favorite in about 3 days flat. He went to Mizzou and is from Topeka so he's got a good setup to be well liked.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-03-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #131
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Good deal

SI

Old 04-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #132
Ksyrup

Quote:
Yeah, Crow has become a fan favorite in about 3 days flat. He went to Mizzou and is from Topeka so he's got a good setup to be well liked.

SI

Rob Neyer had an article about Crow, Collins, and Adcock last week:

Embracing the Beauty of the Unlikely - Baseball Nation
Old 04-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #133
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Adcock is a favorite just for the puns that can be made...

SI

Old 04-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #134
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Rob Neyer had an article about Crow, Collins, and Adcock last week:

Embracing the Beauty of the Unlikely - Baseball Nation

Thanks. Hadn't see that.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #135
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think the fielding has cost them as much as the bullpen as those two go hand-in-hand at giving up hits. However, the bolded part is obviously the most important.

SI

I have been working a lot during gametimes so far, so I haven't been able to watch every at bat of the first three games. But looking at the history of the players the Angels will be putting out there, it doesn't seem likely defense will be their problem. Not saying it will be a great fielding team, especially in the infield, but it's an above average fielding team. The outfield defense, when it goes with Wells-Bourjos-Hunter, might be the best in baseball. Two years ago, Aybar was the second best fielding SS in the league, behind only Andrus (and stupid Jeter won the GG, don't get me started...). Both he and Mathis, who is great handling pitchign staffs, had regressions last year, but they're expected to rebound. The remaining infielders aren't great, but none of them are awful fielders either; league average, little under, little above, is best way to describe them (Izturis, Callasp, Kendrick, Morales).

No, right now, the bullpen is far more the issue than fielding, and I am pretty sure that's going to stay that way.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #136
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I think the issue the Angels have is going to be Texas. Those guys just mash the hell out of the ball. You go through their lineup and there just isn't any really weak spots.

1B - Moreland - going to hit 20 and play solid defense
2B - Kinsler - One of the more underrated players in the game
SS - Andrus - not a great hitter yet, but fast as hell and certainly not a "gimme" out
3B - Beltre - Terrific defense and hitter
C - Napoli - Going to hit 20 again
OF - Hamilton, Cruz, Murphy - A couple of MVP candidates and a decent young player
DH - Young - A guy who can fill in just about anywhere. And he'll hit wherever he's doing it.

The only hope for the Angels is injuries to Texas which could happen. Unless the Rangers injuries are severe, I don't see the Angels within 5 games of them at the end of the year, even if they play at their best.

We'll see, Troy. Texas is very good. But I think you overrate them a little here. Plus, the primary reason they could be caught isn't the lineup, but their pitching.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #137
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think the bullpen on the Royals end has been that good the other way. Crow/Tejada/Soria is an excellent trio to have for end-game situations. Crow has been nails in tough situations thus far.

The Royals pen has been excellent. Maybe the Angels were paying attention and will pick up clues how to put together a good one themselves.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:14 PM   #138
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Crawford going to bat 7th.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #139
Ksyrup

Do the Angels have a Farnsworth they can drop? That would be a good start.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #140
JPhillips
General Manager

I know it's early and the Reds are winning, but please, Dusty, don't tell me Bruce is going to back behind Rolen and Gomes all year.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #141
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Crawford going to bat 7th.

Behind Lowrie even.

There were reports all spring that he was pressing, and that seems to have carried into the first two games. Maybe less pressure down there.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #142
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Do the Angels have a Farnsworth they can drop? That would be a good start.

The guy they really need to drop is starting for them today.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #143
Ksyrup

Let me guess - Kazmir? I didn't get that trade from day 1.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #144
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Let me guess - Kazmir? I didn't get that trade from day 1.

Yeah, I remember. It was a good trade if Kazmir was anything like the old Kazmir, which the Angels apparently thought he was. I wasn't following Kazmir along closely enough to know, so I, too, thought it was an okay trade. Now I know a bit of what was going on with Kazmir and that was an awful trade.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #145
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, it was a riveting start by him: 2 HBP, a balk, 63 pitches, and 5 runs in 1 2/3 innings.

To be fair, the last two runs sounded like they were the fault of Wells.

SI

Old 04-03-2011, 02:08 PM   #146
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, it was a riveting start by him: 2 HBP, a balk, 63 pitches, and 5 runs in 1 2/3 innings.

To be fair, the last two runs sounded like they were the fault of Wells.

SI

It's a weird weather day apparently. The ball's moving around and it was coming from a bright sky (not sure of the sun location, but no doubt it figured, too). The ball bounced off of the heel of Wells glove at the warning track. While Wells certainly bares responsibility, the ball DID travel all the way to the warning track. Kazmir has been so bad, it's almost like he read his own negative press clippings and said "I can beat that!"

Old 04-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #147
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Sweet. Back to back homeruns by, wait for it, Maicur Izturis and Howie Kendrick.

So it's only 5-2 now. If we can get Kazmir out of the game, we might even stand a chance to comeback, lol.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #148
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Haha...completely missed that we actually did take Kazmir out. Thank... God.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:13 PM   #149
MikeVic
Head Coach

Lol I didnt know Yunel Escobar doesn't understand English. They have Jose Bautista translate for the coaches.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #150
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's a weird weather day apparently. The ball's moving around and it was coming from a bright sky (not sure of the sun location, but no doubt it figured, too). The ball bounced off of the heel of Wells glove at the warning track. While Wells certainly bares responsibility, the ball DID travel all the way to the warning track. Kazmir has been so bad, it's almost like he read his own negative press clippings and said "I can beat that!"

Yeah, huge swirling winds. Still...

SI