Trout 6 5.77%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #451
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Thing is, I never robbed anyone.

Not even by accident? I checked my stats and found I'd stolen two things. I don't ever remember stealing anything. My guess is it was books I was reading and took by mistake. Not my best hour. I want to be a hero damnit.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #452
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I would much rather use mouse/keyboard for a game like this but so far I would say that the mouse/keyboard controls really suck. Will try the controller tonight to see how that goes.

I use the 360 controller on the PC. Just easier for me.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:53 PM   #453
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Not even by accident? I checked my stats and found I'd stolen two things. I don't ever remember stealing anything. My guess is it was books I was reading and took by mistake. Not my best hour. I want to be a hero damnit.

Nope. Not a snuasage.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-14-2011 at 06:53 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:10 PM   #454
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

My copy should arrive by Wednesday. I was hoping for tomorrow but it doesn't look like it.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #455
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Sigh....okay okay I'm going to order it. :P

welcome to the cult.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #456
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Rented it from redbox last night. Now on my 2nd night. Will take it back tomorrow just so I don't have to pay anymore and so I can just go out and buy the damn thing this weekend outright. I am completely hooked.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #457
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Rented it from redbox last night. Now on my 2nd night. Will take it back tomorrow just so I don't have to pay anymore and so I can just go out and buy the damn thing this weekend outright. I am completely hooked.

I almost rented it today from Redbox as well - except I realized 15 seconds later that I bought it about 20 minutes earlier on Amazon. lol
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #458
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO View Post
You currently have a choice:

Install, reduce load times but have lower resolution textures due to a streaming bug.

or

Don't install, longer load times but better resolution.

They are expecting to release a patch, but no current ETA.

I have not installed and the load times are minor. But they do occur rather frequently when you are going in and out of shops in town.

Well that sucks, but thank you.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #459
Grover
Pro Starter

Anyone on the PC version having trouble getting their gamepad to be read by the game? I'd really rather use it over the keyboard/mouse, but seem to be having no luck.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #460
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Been a long time fan of this series. I loved Daggerfall and Morrowind. I bought Oblivion, and started to go around in it, but real life got in the way and I never got back to it.

I may be interested in jumping into Skyrim here, but I have a question. In Morrowind, I always felt if I had a joystick/game controller type of set up, I could be better at combat. I game exclusively on PCs (I don't even own a console), and usually heady games, not "games where joysticks/console controls are required.

Given that, would you recommend I get some kind of joystick/console controller to make comabt easier? Or is it easy enough using keyboard controls that that is not a real upgrade to combat/gameplay?
Hey Chief - I agree with the others. I started out using keyboard/mouse combo, but since I've switched to 360 controller, I like it much better.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #461
korme
Go Reds

On the small side story of Sven and Faendal, Sven gives me a letter and tells me to give it to this girl, saying it was from Faendal. I give the girl the letter and out Sven as a liar. I then run into Faendal, who is an archer, and he's so grateful that he offers to follow me around.

So I've been playing almost the entire game with a sidekick. I hook him up with my 2nd best sword and armor at all times... and he's really good
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #462
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Been a long time fan of this series. I loved Daggerfall and Morrowind. I bought Oblivion, and started to go around in it, but real life got in the way and I never got back to it.

I may be interested in jumping into Skyrim here, but I have a question. In Morrowind, I always felt if I had a joystick/game controller type of set up, I could be better at combat. I game exclusively on PCs (I don't even own a console), and usually heady games, not "games where joysticks/console controls are required.

Given that, would you recommend I get some kind of joystick/console controller to make comabt easier? Or is it easy enough using keyboard controls that that is not a real upgrade to combat/gameplay?

I've been fine with a mouse and keyboard, though the out of the box settings for the mouse suck, and personally I don't think I'd be able to play with a controller from first person mode.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:26 PM   #463
korme
Go Reds

Also, been playing as a stealthy archer. Thoroughly enjoying the ability to sneak around dungeons and caves and etc., picking people off.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #464
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Am I the only psycho who has a penchant for collecting books? I kept all the books I found until I got my house. I then used my chest to store all of them. I think I've got about 30 of them at this point and I know there are 200+ to get. I think I'm leaning on starting over as well. About level 11 or 12. I know what I'm doing now and want to make a few changes.

I've been trying to collect all the books too, yeah. I also spent two hours figuring out how I wanted to organize them on my bookshelves and on which bookshelves I wanted them. Sadly, I can only shelve 28 right right now. Need to buy another house so I can shelve the other books.

I'm also doing it with weapons and armor, too.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #465
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Also, been playing as a stealthy archer. Thoroughly enjoying the ability to sneak around dungeons and caves and etc., picking people off.

Ditto. This game has the best archer experience ever.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #466
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Ditto. This game has the best archer experience ever.

I'll jump on that bandwagon too, just finished Embershard and took out one Bandit on the bridge with a stealth attack, putting an arrow through his neck and sending him over the side.

Like crafting thus far as well. Simple and straightforward without being too easy.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #467
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I think I'm leaning on starting over as well. About level 11 or 12. I know what I'm doing now and want to make a few changes.

For the guys thinking of starting over, how would you build your next character? I'm at level 7 with my second try and I'm already thinking about starting over again cause I'm not happy about the way the character is progressing.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:40 PM   #468
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Anyone on the PC version having trouble getting their gamepad to be read by the game? I'd really rather use it over the keyboard/mouse, but seem to be having no luck.

You have it plugged in and recognized by the PC before starting the game?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:16 PM   #469
BYU 14
Coordinator

Interested in feedback from those starting over as well. On your first character did you have a vision or just kind of played it by ear and picked perks/skills that seemed cool, or maybe experimented as you learned the game?

I am only level 3 and started with a plan, but as I go through the constellations I find myself saying "This perk may be nice" or "Maybe I will try this instead"

Seems easy to fall into the trap of getting pulled off track in a game this immense.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:20 PM   #470
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Interested in feedback from those starting over as well. On your first character did you have a vision or just kind of played it by ear and picked perks/skills that seemed cool, or maybe experimented as you learned the game?

I am only level 3 and started with a plan, but as I go through the constellations I find myself saying "This perk may be nice" or "Maybe I will try this instead"

Seems easy to fall into the trap of getting pulled off track in a game this immense.

That's always my biggest issue with these type of games (issue is probably not the right word). I end up starting out with one plan and before I know it my character has morphed into something entirely different than planned. Which would not be bad if it didn't usually end up with my character being a jack of all trades but master of none.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #471
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
You have it plugged in and recognized by the PC before starting the game?

Indeed. I thought this was the problem at first.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:41 PM   #472
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Indeed. I thought this was the problem at first.

What kind of pad is it?
Old 11-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #473
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
What kind of pad is it?

It's a Logitech Dual Action

Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #474
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Game? Great
Interface? Not So

Playing the PC version
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:03 AM   #475
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
It's a Logitech Dual Action

I would guess the issue is that the only pad with native support is the 360 controller. It looks like the same issue existed for New Vegas too. Try this fix, putting the files in your Skyrim main folder instead, it's supposed to work for 360 pad emulation.

Logitech Rumblepad 2, Dual Action Game Pad: Fallout: New Vegas

Edit: Another option would be JoyToKey if the above fix doesn't work. I've never used it, so I can't say how well it works for mouse emulation or the right thumbstick, but you should at least be able to play that way.

Last edited by mckerney : 11-15-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #476
mckerney
Coordinator

Anyone looking to buy a controller to use on PC should definitely get a 360 pad. In addition to Skyrim any game you'll want to use a gamepad for will probably have native support for the 360 pad, can't say the same for any other controller.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #477
Grover
Pro Starter

Ah ha, thanks for the help, mate!

I may just pick up a 360 controller, this Logitech one is old, old.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:12 AM   #478
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post
For the guys thinking of starting over, how would you build your next character? I'm at level 7 with my second try and I'm already thinking about starting over again cause I'm not happy about the way the character is progressing.

I started my new game tonight. In my first game I was a Nord and really felt I made poor decisions in my skill updates and I wanted to go for more of a warrior/mage combo. I could have continued with the Nord and built up those stats, but because of the mistakes I made early I thought it would just be best to start over.

In this game I started as an Imperial and am being a lot more careful about my upgrades.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #479
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Ah ha, thanks for the help, mate!

I may just pick up a 360 controller, this Logitech one is old, old.

If you have a 360 with a wireless controller already you could just get one of these. Looking on Amazon it seems like they don't have a wired version of the new 360 controller, though for Skyrim the new dpad probably won't make a difference.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #480
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

D*** you; d*** you all!!!!

I need to get to sleep and walking through this cave was keeping me from that. I'll be lost tomorrow when I try to find my way out. Oh well.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #481
mckerney
Coordinator

Just notice pick pocketing has a perk that increases your inventory by 100, may have to start leveling that up.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:27 AM   #482
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Does this game have "class"? Meaning Mage, Fighter, Cleric, etc...

Or does it scrap all that and you just level up skills you want to level up and decide that way?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:30 AM   #483
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

I've played 3-4 hours so far, and haven't left the first village. Just so much to explore....
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:38 AM   #484
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I've played 3-4 hours so far, and haven't left the first village. Just so much to explore....

What? You haven't attacked everyone yet?
Word of Warning. That farmer's wife is one MEAN BITCH!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:54 AM   #485
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:

Or does it scrap all that and you just level up skills you want to level up and decide that way?

The second one. Which is so much better than it was in prior versions.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:02 AM   #486
Izulde
Head Coach

Feeling really smart after figuring out an ingenious way of taking down a nasty baddie.

I'll spoiler it. It's Saarthal-related, for those of you who have beaten that (I haven't completely yet. Still in the quest chain, but I need sleep. Long day tomorrow including 8 am teaching and having to finish up a paper at night).

Spoiler

Old 11-15-2011, 03:48 AM   #487
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I've been wandering around for the last two hours with an arrow sticking through my eye.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #488
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Feeling really smart after figuring out an ingenious way of taking down a nasty baddie.

I'll spoiler it. It's Saarthal-related, for those of you who have beaten that (I haven't completely yet. Still in the quest chain, but I need sleep. Long day tomorrow including 8 am teaching and having to finish up a paper at night).

Spoiler

Not Bad Izulde, this was what I did

Spoiler
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:29 AM   #489
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

This is the Burger King of RPGs, your way is the right way. I would say you need to consider a concept but you can dabble in everything.

I started off Khajit, and I went for a Destruction background but I managed to nab a pretty cool two handed weapon early on, but over time, I wanted to use magic more, so I went to one handed, but I'm also a rogue (sneak is the other skill I'm heavily invested in, I'm around 60 right now), so I need to invest in light armor (yet I do have a decent heavy armor skill)...around level 10 or so, I decided to commit to bows for sneak attacks (the 3x sneak attack bonus is nice). Dabble in Alteration and Restoration (restore health) and have played around with Alchemy (I've been grabbing items and munching them to see what they do)...bought a house and have an alchemy lab setup so I'll be working on some potions. I liked the smithing but just haven't really done much with it.

I need to upgrade my lockpicking skills, but I was able to open adept locks at around 30 lockpicking skill, you just need patience.

I don't think you'd have as much fun being a pure class, I think this game you are meant to adapt to what you find (I like axes, not much for swords, so if I do upgrade one handed skills it'll probably be for axes).

That's what makes this game so much fun. I'm already at around level 19 I think and I've barely scratched the surface.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:17 AM   #490
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I started my new game tonight. In my first game I was a Nord and really felt I made poor decisions in my skill updates and I wanted to go for more of a warrior/mage combo. I could have continued with the Nord and built up those stats, but because of the mistakes I made early I thought it would just be best to start over.

In this game I started as an Imperial and am being a lot more careful about my upgrades.

Wow - I just created my 3rd character last night. My first was Warrior to play around with and get used to the system and the world. My second was a pure mage. I'm not digging the constant juggling of my magic spells. Seems to interrupt the flow of the game too much for me right now.

So I created my 3rd character - exactly as you set it up Troy. I just made it to Riverwood. I plan to stick with him for the duration. No more restarts until I get much much further into the game.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:26 AM   #491
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

what's the general consensus on using followers/companions? Do you use them all the time, or do you sometimes work through a quest chain on your own?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #492
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
what's the general consensus on using followers/companions? Do you use them all the time, or do you sometimes work through a quest chain on your own?

In Bethesda games my companions inevitably become little more than mules.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #493
Drake
assmaster

I picked up the light-step perk and keep finding that about half the time, I still get bashed by pressure plate traps because my companion doesn't have it and trips the spiked wall into my face. (Bastards!)

So when I'm being sneaky, I opt for no companion.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #494
Icy
Pro Starter

Grrrr i'm really tempted but I recently purchased the PS3 GOTY edition of Oblivion for $5 used and have yet to play it, so I'm wondering if i should play that one before buying Skyrim. I'm also really addicted to Battlefield 3 and FM so not sure if i'll have enough time for this.

Is Skyrim really much better or would Oblivion with all expansions be a similar experience?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #495
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Thing is, I never robbed anyone.

Have you attacked anybody that was not aggressive to you?

I came upon a hunter and sneak attacked him with an arrow shot across the river.

When I was later attacked by bandits, I looted them and found a bounty letter from "Hunter".

The best part of the attack was that they attacked me RIGHT after the first dragon mission. The guards that were oohing and aahing over me proceeded to take them out before I even really knew what was going on.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 AM   #496
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Just notice pick pocketing has a perk that increases your inventory by 100, may have to start leveling that up.

I believe this is simply an increased item count limit, not an increase in ability to carry more weight.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:27 AM   #497
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Currently playing as a thief type - some hired thugs attacked and really outclassed me - the character is not built for straight up melee fighting against three opponents. So I sprinted away as far as I could, ran to the nearest city and jumped on the carriage to go to another city far away - that should teach them.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #498
Thomkal
Head Coach

The 10 best Skyrim mods so far | PC Gamer
Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #499
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
This is the Burger King of RPGs, your way is the right way. I would say you need to consider a concept but you can dabble in everything.

I started off Khajit, and I went for a Destruction background but I managed to nab a pretty cool two handed weapon early on, but over time, I wanted to use magic more, so I went to one handed, but I'm also a rogue (sneak is the other skill I'm heavily invested in, I'm around 60 right now), so I need to invest in light armor (yet I do have a decent heavy armor skill)...around level 10 or so, I decided to commit to bows for sneak attacks (the 3x sneak attack bonus is nice). Dabble in Alteration and Restoration (restore health) and have played around with Alchemy (I've been grabbing items and munching them to see what they do)...bought a house and have an alchemy lab setup so I'll be working on some potions. I liked the smithing but just haven't really done much with it.

I need to upgrade my lockpicking skills, but I was able to open adept locks at around 30 lockpicking skill, you just need patience.

I don't think you'd have as much fun being a pure class, I think this game you are meant to adapt to what you find (I like axes, not much for swords, so if I do upgrade one handed skills it'll probably be for axes).

That's what makes this game so much fun. I'm already at around level 19 I think and I've barely scratched the surface.

AWESOME! I agree! I don't like class based systems as much because it's like...it's so easy to "choose wrong" as in choose something you end up not liking and don't realize it until awy down the road. And the alternative is to make a ton of characters right off the bat and finally choose the one you like which wastes time.

skill-based RPG > class-based RPG in many many ways.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 AM   #500
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post

I just started playing with one (the one you can get in Riverwood) and he's been a big help with my sneaky archer type-because I'm such a terrible shot at the moment. He'll certainly be a big help as a mule carrying all that valuable, but heavy weapons and armor for me.