Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #151
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
In a normal situation, sure. But I'm just not convinced that that's how it works in a major college football program when something like this happens. As I said earlier, I tend to think this sort of head-in-the-sand and cover-up behavior could happen (and probably has) at the majority of the big-time college football programs in the country. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it turns out that he never said a word about it to Sandusky. I'd also be unsurprised if he went to Sandusky and Sanduksy said "No way, Joe. I would never do something like that!" And then Paterno used a categorical denial to convince himself that he didn't need to do anything further.

Any number of scenarios could be true here, but the primary agenda was to protect themselves and the Penn State image. I probably sounded a little harsh and/or cynical when I said that yesterday, but the interview linked above is saying pretty much exactly the same thing.

Plausible deniability.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 AM   #152
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Front Page of the Harrisburg Patriot-News
Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #153
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
He added: “The appropriate people were contacted by Joe. That was the chain of command. It was a retired employee and it falls under the university’s auspices, not the football auspices.”

Really? It was a choice between the university chain of command, or the football chain of command? That's it? So if someone finds the dead body of a retired employee in the shower next time, they're just supposed to call the AD, head off to practice, and not give it a second thought?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-08-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #155
Grego
Mascot

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...ing-penn-state

Not sure if this was posted earlier, but a different perspective on this mess.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #156
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Yup, this is a bunch of BS.

Reports of this were from 98, Sandusky was asked to resign Im sure in 99 after these reports surfaced. Joe Pa knew the entire time what this POS was doing.

Victim#1 sounded like a multiple time victim. Sad.

If there was a police investigation in 98 you would think Jo Pa would have been questioned which should be in the police records, correct? Unless the investigator didnt do his/her job which it appears was the case since this scum was set free to harm more innocent children.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-08-2011 at 09:40 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #157
Logan
Head Coach

Do Scott and Jay Paterno have kids? Wonder if JoePa would have been comfortable having his grandkids around Sandusky.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #158
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Yup, this is a bunch of BS.

Reports of this were from 98, Sandusky was asked to resign Im sure in 99 after these reports surfaced. Joe Pa knew the entire time what this POS was doing.

Victim#1 sounded like a multiple time victim. Sad.

If there was a police investigation in 98 you would think Jo Pa would have been questioned which should be in the police records, correct? Unless the investigator didnt do his/her job which it appears was the case since this scum was set free to harm more innocent children.

Even if Joe wasn't questioned I can't believe he didn't see a report written about hid DC and hand picked successor. That's what makes the 2002 story so bad, IMO. A one time allegation is one thing, but a second incident with an eyewitness demands action greater than telling your boss and forgetting about it. He may be legally clear, but he sure as hell is morally culpable.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #159
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Even if Joe wasn't questioned I can't believe he didn't see a report written about hid DC and hand picked successor. That's what makes the 2002 story so bad, IMO. A one time allegation is one thing, but a second incident with an eyewitness demands action greater than telling your boss and forgetting about it. He may be legally clear, but he sure as hell is morally culpable.

Correct. He knew and chose to look the other way like a coward.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-08-2011 at 11:12 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #160
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Penn State cancels Joe Paterno's scheduled news conference
Old 11-08-2011, 11:26 AM   #161
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Penn State Said to Be Planning Paternos Exit - NYTimes.com
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #162
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Good. JoePa and that whole program needs to get shaken up. the AD should go to jail for not reporting it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #163
Rizon
Pro Starter

what more done

jopa
cain
philly eagles
trout baked at 550 degrees for 2 hours
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #164
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
what more done

jopa
cain
philly eagles
trout baked at 550 degrees for 2 hours

I think you've got it in the right order.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #165
Logan
Head Coach

Just listening to Kim Jones on WFAN right now...she states that yesterday when Paterno addressed the team, he said he "knew nothing about Sandusky".
Old 11-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #166
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

My guess is the more PSU looks into this the more screwed they see they are. I'll never understand how Mike McQueary, according to reports, witnessed the raping of a young child, had Sandusky and the child see him, and yet when it came time to decide if Sandusky should still have ties to PSU with having kids there with an overnight camp on the campus the idea wasn't shot down by him raising issues with the idea. I'll never understand Sandusky's side of things were he knows he's caught doing the act and somehow thinks it's ok to keep ties with PSU and do the whole camp thing while on PSU's campus. If I got caught like he did, I would make sure I never saw McQueary or the PSU campus ever again and moved far away asap. Interactions between McQueary and Sandusky had to be awkward as hell after that.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #167
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Let Cain grope JoePa for about an hour - should cure both of them.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #168
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

I guess they figured out that telling reporters they could only ask about football wouldn't work.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #169
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Paterno is trying to set up an off-campus press conference.

http://twitter.com/#!/Ben_Jones88
Old 11-08-2011, 12:24 PM   #170
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Just listening to Kim Jones on WFAN right now...she states that yesterday when Paterno addressed the team, he said he "knew nothing about Sandusky".

Yeah, but why didn't he know anything about it when it was his own DC?
Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #171
bhlloy
Coordinator

This sounds like its about to get very ugly between JoePa and PSU

Not that that's the most important thing here in any way
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #172
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
My guess is the more PSU looks into this the more screwed they see they are. I'll never understand how Mike McQueary, according to reports, witnessed the raping of a young child, had Sandusky and the child see him, and yet when it came time to decide if Sandusky should still have ties to PSU with having kids there with an overnight camp on the campus the idea wasn't shot down by him raising issues with the idea. I'll never understand Sandusky's side of things were he knows he's caught doing the act and somehow thinks it's ok to keep ties with PSU and do the whole camp thing while on PSU's campus. If I got caught like he did, I would make sure I never saw McQueary or the PSU campus ever again and moved far away asap. Interactions between McQueary and Sandusky had to be awkward as hell after that.

McQueary is PSU's recruiting coordinator, too, right? He has to leave. How does the recruiting coordinator not have his position completely compromised by such a total lack of looking out for a young person's best interests?

About the only thing that could save Paterno at this point is if a dozen or more people fell on their sword for him, saying that they hid stuff from him about Sandusky and that this one 2002 incident is the only one he knew of in a vaccuum and he'd been told by his superiors that it was resolved with lawyers. And even that's still not a great resolution. But anything else, and unfortunately (for us, if not him), his entire legacy and image are completely shattered.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-08-2011, 12:30 PM   #173
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

SAme dude...
Quote:
Ben_Jones88 Ben Jones

Scott Paterno says his father is "not stepping down" and will be on the sidelines this weekend. They'll fight this one to the end.

Wow.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #174
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Makes me wonder if anyone else was involved in this besides the cover up. Was anyone else present when Sandusky was doing this disgusting act to children? I just don't see how a handful of people can keep this a secret and all be on the same page as far as covering it up without someone, anyone, going to authorities.

The more I read about this disgusting situation, the more I suspect that other people were involved in this in ways that we don't want to know about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #175
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
McQueary is PSU's recruiting coordinator, too, right?

Yep and I agree that he's gone. I at least can see the cover up/protecting angle, but to witness that and have the things that followed happened is inexcusable.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #176
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I have a little more respect for Matt Millen after this, at least as a person (not so much on the football side of things):

Matt Millen Breaks Down And Cries On SportsCenter: "If We Can't Protect Our Kids, We, As A Society, Are Pathetic"

Quote:
Old 11-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #177
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Ben_Jones88 Ben Jones

People are burning their Penn State diplomas outside of Old Main. This is getting a little out of hand.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #178
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Just saw this. Is he for real? Happy Valley ain't looking so happy.....

Quote:
Old 11-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #179
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Makes me wonder if anyone else was involved in this besides the cover up. Was anyone else present when Sandusky was doing this disgusting act to children? I just don't see how a handful of people can keep this a secret and all be on the same page as far as covering it up without someone, anyone, going to authorities.

The more I read about this disgusting situation, the more I suspect that other people were involved in this in ways that we don't want to know about.

Feel the same way. Posted the following on another board this morning: Paterno only "covering this up" could be the best case scenario as far as we know. Who knows what else is out there.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #180
Ksyrup

Quote:

Twitter

Oh wow. Not to make too much fun of this stuation, but the first thing that came to mind, given Paterno's age, crankiness, and general Grandpa Simpson demeanor, is him going off about 30 minutes into his press conference in a "YOU'RE GODDAM RIGHT I ORDERED THE CODE RED!!!' tangent.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #181
britrock88
Pro Starter

Let me know when we can articulate exactly why JoePa's head (in contrast to those of his superiors) needs to roll.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #182
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I have a little more respect for Matt Millen after this, at least as a person (not so much on the football side of things):

Matt Millen Breaks Down And Cries On SportsCenter: "If We Can't Protect Our Kids, We, As A Society, Are Pathetic"

Poor choice of words, Matt.

Quote:
there are so many more good things to come out of that program and out of that man. this is what will end up biting him in the rear end.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-08-2011 at 12:52 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #183
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Oh wow. Not to make too much fun of this stuation, but the first thing that came to mind, given Paterno's age, crankiness, and general Grandpa Simpson demeanor, is him going off about 30 minutes into his press conference in a "YOU'RE GODDAM RIGHT I ORDERED THE CODE RED!!!' tangent.

Off-campus press conference has been shut down.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #184
Ksyrup

It is in Pennsylvania - so I assume Derek Bell has finally been gainfully employed again.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-08-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #185
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Let me know when we can articulate exactly why JoePa's head (in contrast to those of his superiors) needs to roll.

JoePa doesn't have superiors, you clown.

edit: In case that's not what you wanted to hear...we can ignore the ethical/moral side of how he should have done more than go up the supposed chain of command. But how about by not allowing Sandusky an office in his facilities, not allowing him full use of his facilities, not allowing him to be at closed practices, not allowing him to bring young boys to closed practices, not allowing him to hold overnight football camps?

Last edited by Logan : 11-08-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #186
Ksyrup

Quote:

Penn State must fire Joe Paterno amid Jerry Sandusky sex scandal - Andy Staples - SI.com
Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #187
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just saw this. Is he for real? Happy Valley ain't looking so happy.....

Old 11-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #188
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Let me know when we can articulate exactly why JoePa's head (along with those of his superiors) shouldn't roll.

fixed that for ya

Quote:
Old 11-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #189
molson
General Manager

Just wait until the civil lawsuits from the victims start.....this is going to define Penn St. for a very long time. It's kind of hard to believe that Paterno is even still there right now.

I'm not sure the NYTimes counts as a reputable news source anymore, at least when it comes to sports (I lost respect for them when they jumped into the whole conference movement wild speculation arena), but they're reporting that "Penn State Said to Be Planning Paterno Exit Amid Scandal". (Edit, sorry, I see that was posted earlier)

Last edited by molson : 11-08-2011 at 01:32 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #190
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I love that, they're going to "try". I mean, really, I don't think it's that difficult to hold a press conference. I'm sure people will show up for it. I'm sure you can secure a venue with microphones.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #191
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I love that, they're going to "try". I mean, really, I don't think it's that difficult to hold a press conference. I'm sure people will show up for it. I'm sure you can secure a venue with microphones.

The issue here is that Paterno wants a press conference that only talks about the upcoming game. Good luck with that.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #192
britrock88
Pro Starter

My impression is something like this.

In 2002, Sandusky is off the coaching staff. A grad assistant notices him doing something funny with a kid in the locker room, and decides to tell JoePa. I imagine that the GA doesn't articulate this to JoePa with a whole lot of specificity. JoePa nonetheless takes the GA's account seriously, and tells his superiors something to the effect that Sandusky was doing something weird with a kid in the showers. At this point, he's fulfilled his legal obligation, and he may not know enough to feel comfortable alerting the authorities directly. So he trusts the administration to act properly.

Certainly this sequence doesn't show JoePa's reaction to be a good example. But at least in a sense, he did nothing wrong. Perhaps he should have picked up on the trail and contacted police after noticing that nothing came of him telling the athletic administration about the incident. Sandusky wasn't a member of JoePa's staff; JoePa responded appropriately to the single report he received from the GA (at least in the legal sense). So why does this fall on his head?

(Please feel free to correct my understanding of the facts. I'm not making this point about JoePa just to be stubborn; I just haven't seen a failing on his part that requires him to be separated from PSU, (and apparently he hasn't, either).)
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #193
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The issue here is that Paterno wants a press conference that only talks about the upcoming game. Good luck with that.

Hard to say with all the noise, but my understanding is that Paterno wants to "explain" and the school was the one who only wanted football questions. Could be wrong, though.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #194
Ksyrup

First question: "I'm sorry coach, I've been distracted by the allegations against former coach Jerry Sandusky and the fact that you might be involved in a cover-up of a serial child molester who used school grounds to lure and commit these alleged atrocities. Who is your opponent this weekend?"
Old 11-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #195
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

He pretty much could have held a press conference standing where he was at. Looks like they are attempting another conference tomorrow.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:40 PM   #196
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Hard to say with all the noise, but my understanding is that Paterno wants to "explain" and the school was the one who only wanted football questions. Could be wrong, though.

That could be true, I may have it backwards. In either case, though, there is no way in hell a press conference happens that even remotely discusses football at this point.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #197
molson
General Manager

It would be kind of funny if one obnoxious reporter just kept yelling football questions at him. "JOE, JOE - what do you think of the Nebraska pass defense, JOE!!"
Old 11-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #199
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
(Please feel free to correct my understanding of the facts. I'm not making this point about JoePa just to be stubborn; I just haven't seen a failing on his part that requires him to be separated from PSU, (and apparently he hasn't, either).)

Legally he might be fine. It's the moral issue that everybody is taking an issue with.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #200
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
My impression is something like this.

In 2002, Sandusky is off the coaching staff. A grad assistant notices him doing something funny with a kid in the locker room, and decides to tell JoePa. I imagine that the GA doesn't articulate this to JoePa with a whole lot of specificity. JoePa nonetheless takes the GA's account seriously, and tells his superiors something to the effect that Sandusky was doing something weird with a kid in the showers. At this point, he's fulfilled his legal obligation, and he may not know enough to feel comfortable alerting the authorities directly. So he trusts the administration to act properly.

Certainly this sequence doesn't show JoePa's reaction to be a good example. But at least in a sense, he did nothing wrong. Perhaps he should have picked up on the trail and contacted police after noticing that nothing came of him telling the athletic administration about the incident. Sandusky wasn't a member of JoePa's staff; JoePa responded appropriately to the single report he received from the GA (at least in the legal sense). So why does this fall on his head?

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter as well.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote