Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #251
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Lot of rumbling that Paterno is out, maybe by the weekend.

Good. The guy knew about it and did nothing more than tell his boss. His superiors are being charged criminally and nothing happens to him because he told his boss? Unacceptable. And I can't believe all those students chanting his name. The guy helped cover up for a pedophile raping little kids, Joe Pa's gotta go. If he won't step down, fire him.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #252
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
A Penn State alumna I know said the football players had carte blanche to rape women's basketball players and that it happened a lot while she was there. So if that's true, that's one of the things that may be coming to light in the coming weeks.

Interesting. I saw a documentary at the Atlanta Film Festival about PSU women's basketball coach Rene Portland and her banning of lesbian players, which briefly mentioned JoePa's unconditional support of her.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #253
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

via Twitter

@Ben_Jones88 Paterno holding a press conference out his window in tears. "No matter what happens to some people Im proud of you" twitpic.com/7c8n10 Penn State students screaming the lyrics to the Alma Mater "May no act of ours bring shame"

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-08-2011 at 05:32 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:32 PM   #254
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Apparently the PSU Rivals site is saying Joe was asked to resign today effective immediately but declined. However, he told his team he'd be done at the end of the season. They also reported that PSU has already reached out to Al Golden about the job.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #255
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Apparently the PSU Rivals site is saying Joe was asked to resign today effective immediately but declined. However, he told his team he'd be done at the end of the season. They also reported that PSU has already reached out to Al Golden about the job.

So they expect him to run from Miami due to their scandal and run right into another messy situation at PSU?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #256
Galaxy
Coordinator

I hope this thread doesn't become like the Conference realignment thread, full of rumors and guessing.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #257
RainMaker
General Manager

Number Of Victims In Penn State Abuse Case Doubles | Fox News

Ugh
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #258
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
So they expect him to run from Miami due to their scandal and run right into another messy situation at PSU?

While I agree it would make absolutely dumb, Golden has been speculated as one of the top candidates to replace Joe for quite a while. I mean, he is a PSU alumn though PSU may want to avoid anyone with ties to the program at this point.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #259
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I hope this thread doesn't become like the Conference realignment thread, full of rumors and guessing.

This is my feeling as well. There are some despicable things being alleged right now, and if it's all true then this outrage is justified. But we only have a grand jury indictment and a bunch of rumors, nothing has actually been proven, yet we've already got a lynch mob going in here.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #260
gkb
High School Varsity

I keep expecting a headline to say that Sandusky was found dead in his home from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. I guess I'm getting that from this comment he made:

Quote:
Sandusky replied, “I don’t know . . . maybe.” At the conclusion of the second conversation, after Sandusky was told he could not see Victim 6 any more, Sandusky said, “I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won’t get it from you. I wish I were dead.”

Link

Here's the link to the grand jury report. It's 23 pages long.

Sorry, one more edit. I had to stop reading at the top of page 2...

Last edited by gkb : 11-08-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added the link to the grand jury report.
gkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #261
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
This is my feeling as well. There are some despicable things being alleged right now, and if it's all true then this outrage is justified. But we only have a grand jury indictment and a bunch of rumors, nothing has actually been proven, yet we've already got a lynch mob going in here.

Uhh, at least one of the victims has come forward against Sandusky. Pretty sure this is more than "a bunch of rumors".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #262
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Uhh, at least one of the victims has come forward against Sandusky. Pretty sure this is more than "a bunch of rumors".

A victim came forward against the Duke Lacrosse team, too.

It certainly doesn't look good, but again all we have is an indictment, which is not a conviction. Odds are pretty good we'll end up with one, but we aren't there yet.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #263
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Gone through the hassle of firing anyone lately? Most people I know would rather deal with employees taking a dump in their desk drawer than even start the process.

How many people do you know? You do realize we've gone through a recent record of firing employees. When they are being shunted out the door by the dozen so the CEO can keep his big bonus in the budget... I'm pretty sure the CEO would be more than glad to get the desk poopers out of the organization with them.

I'm pretty sure we will soon see Penn State pull out the mass firings soon, I hope beyond losing their jobs that anyone involved who has legal culpability gets their dick chopped off and locked in prison. The cover up culture is bullshit.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #264
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'm sorry, but Joe Paterno doesn't deserve the convenience of retiring. He needs to be fired, and then he needs to be prosecuted. Right along with every other scumbag at that school who knew about what was going on and didn't tell law enforcement. Put them all in the same PMITA prison and let GenPop take care of them.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #265
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
How many people do you know? You do realize we've gone through a recent record of firing employees. When they are being shunted out the door by the dozen so the CEO can keep his big bonus in the budget... I'm pretty sure the CEO would be more than glad to get the desk poopers out of the organization with them.

It's actually much easier to lay a bunch of folks off than fire one.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #267
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Anyone know why this came out now? Did McQuery's conscious finally catch up to him or is there something else to the story that I missed??

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #268
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Anyone know why this came out now? Did McQuery's conscious finally catch up to him or is there something else to the story that I missed??

The investigation had been going on for three years, and it was only at the end of last week that the grand jury released their findings.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #269
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post

From what I saw (which admittedly isn't much), Sandusky was being investigated for awhile before this hit the fan. Not sure beyond that, and too lazy to look it up. Perhaps a victim finally coming forward opened this up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #270
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I don't know this GA (I don't follow college football) but I take it he's a bigger name now than he was?

I'm sure he and Paterno were told "we'll take care of it," but I once again posit: if you see or hear about my kid being raped, I damn well want you to do more than tell the athletic director about it. That should just be step one. Make an anonymous call if yo'ure too scared to follow through, but you do something.

Did they mention whether he did anything while this was all happening in the shower?

I may just be extremely violent, but if I saw this sort of shit going down I would start off with a very loud 'what the fuck' and then the crowbar to the old man's head would follow shortly after.

But even in the normal case, i think the guy did the minimum he should, tell the people he thought should be able to take care of things. I'm the sort of person who would also call the police myself just because I'd be so disgusted and pissed, but I'm the sort who could give a shit about a job over certain moral principles.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #271
tarcone
Coordinator

I wish people would stop comparing this to the Duke Lacrosse "thing". This is not about an adult woman who was a prostitute charging college aged men with raping her. While those charges are bad, they are a far cry from charges of a large adult male anal raping 10 year old boys. Many boys.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #272
Rizon
Pro Starter

I have a buddy that graduated from Penn St in 09. It's like someone killed his dog, after finding out his dog has been eating neighborhood children for the last 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:37 PM   #273
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
A victim came forward against the Duke Lacrosse team, too.

It certainly doesn't look good, but again all we have is an indictment, which is not a conviction. Odds are pretty good we'll end up with one, but we aren't there yet.

As my criminal law professor said, "if you ever have criminal charges against you, pray that it is just as a result of a probable cause arrest and not an indictment. If you get indicted, you're done. Indictment equals death."

RIP Charlie Whitebread (a damned good professor)

Last edited by digamma : 11-08-2011 at 06:37 PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:45 PM   #274
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsDino View Post
. I'm the sort of person who would also call the police myself just because I'd be so disgusted and pissed, but I'm the sort who could give a shit about a job over certain moral principles.

I think it says a lot about college football too that this guy's concerned that other schools will say, "ya, we'd like to give him a coaching job here but he came forward about that child raper over at Penn St - we can't have a guy like that here digging up our secrets."

And he seems like an intelligent enough guy, he's won promotions, etc - maybe that was a realistic fear (even if it shouldn't have been his priority, obviously). For every incident that we hear about, there must be all kinds of stuff we never do.

Last edited by molson : 11-08-2011 at 06:45 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 06:47 PM   #275
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

What are the rumors you speak of? The Grand Jury report is enough to make anyone sick and angry. I know some people have jumped in with rumors in this thread, but the anger toward PSU hasn't been over rumors.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #276
molson
General Manager

Didn't realize until just now that sandusky is free on bail, and he'll remain so for the next year or two until there's a resolution. Unless he violates some term of release. I wonder what he's got planned for the holiday weekend.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #277
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Youth Organization Learned Of Jerry Sandusky Investigation in 1998, Let Jerry Sandusky Fraternize With Youth Until 2008
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #278
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
No disagreement on his accountability on a personal level; I'm just not sure that justifies the president and AD bringing JoePa down with them.

Fair points. I have to wonder whether "if you're king, and your kingdom goes in the crapper, you're implicated no matter what" is an appropriate reaction, generally speaking.

Hey is the king of all things football, Sandusky was obviously in his court, he may not have the authority to do anything over retired coaches but all he needs to say "You know what, you are too much of a big fucking headache Sandusky, fuck off and never come near my territory again because I just want to retire in a decade in peace."

Your legacy does have something to do with those you associate with. And he had the influence, all he needed to do was make one statement along the lines of 'I don't like Sandusky' in secret at the smallest alumni event and they would have mobilized the national guard in Pennsylvania to shoot his ass out of a cannon into Canada. He could have quietly secured this threat to his legacy by realizing something was wrong in 2002 and moving then and everyone would be on his side saying "He was slow to act but he finally saw the guy for what he was and drew a line in the sand".

Instead he is a dumb old pussy. That is the BEST he can look like now. WORST involves him being actively involved in a cover up (well there are even worst things but those are too disgusting to think about).
Old 11-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #279
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Didn't realize until just now that sandusky is free on bail, and he'll remain so for the next year or two until there's a resolution. Unless he violates some term of release. I wonder what he's got planned for the holiday weekend.
If he's looking for a safe place to hang out, I'm sure Paterno's office would suffice.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #280
RainMaker
General Manager

Penn State students rallying in support of Paterno. A guy who covered up for a child rapist. Stay classy.

Incompatible Browser | Facebook
Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 PM   #281
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

A friend of mine was told by someone who went to PSU that Paterno was involved in the Roswell coverup.

Someone I once met on the street who once watched a PSU football gae on TV told me that Paterno was involved with Chernobyl.

Another person that I once passed while in a car heard on the radio that PSU baseball players were allowed to rape PSU football players whenever they wanted as long as there was a lesbian three-way with cheerleaders going on at the same time.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #282
General Mike
Pro Starter

Shame on them.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #283
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Current Headline at CNN.com: "Students rally behin {sic} Paterno"
Old 11-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #284
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I actually have the youth Coaching Linebacker DVD where he appears with one of the victims. I will have gone from taking notes and saying, "genius", to being physically ill when he moves and pushes the kid around.

As a youth coach, I know how much these kids look up to their coaches. It is a real and unforgivable sin to abuse this situation where you can make a life better. I have been coaching for 7 years, and still get emails and phone calls from almost every player. There has never been a sports story that has made me more sick at heart than this.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 11-08-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #285
MrBug708
Head Coach

Every family of a kid abused AFTER the report was made to the AD is a multi-million dollar lawsuit waiting to happen. This could be an economic disaster for PSU, not just an ethical one.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #286
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Every family of a kid abused AFTER the report was made to the AD is a multi-million dollar lawsuit waiting to happen. This could be an economic disaster for PSU, not just an ethical one.

Heck, this is America, every family of a kid abused before any reports were made to anyone can cash in. Now, how little Billy feels about the new vacation house is Aspen and what he had to do for his family to get it is perhaps a question for another thread.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #287
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Current Headline at CNN.com: "Students rally behin {sic} Paterno"

Here's what he said to the students that gathered at his house:

Quote:
"It's hard for me to tell you how much this means to me. I've lived for this place, and I've lived for people like you guys and girls, and I'm just so happy to see that you could feel so strongly about us and about your school. The kids that were victims or whatever they want to say, I think we all ought to say a prayer for them. Tough life, when people do certain things to you. Anyway, you've been great. Everything's great, all right."

A Weeping Joe Paterno Just Spoke To Students Gathered Outside His Living Room Window (UPDATED)
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #288
RainMaker
General Manager

The kids that were victims or whatever they want to say, I think we all ought to say a prayer for them.

Wow.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #289
molson
General Manager

What a cruel irony if Penn St. makes the Rose Bowl this year. Sandusky would have no doubt gotten great access - tickets, accommodations in Pasadena. He could have parlayed that into some sweet action.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #290
Izulde
Head Coach

FWIW, I think people condemning JoePa are being awfully quick to rush to judgment and probably at least slightly hypocritical.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #291
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
FWIW, I think people condemning JoePa are being awfully quick to rush to judgment and probably at least slightly hypocritical.
Read the Grand Jury report. He knew what was going on. In his position, there is no excuse to not only not pursue it, but to allow Sandusky around his program with kids.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #292
tarcone
Coordinator

"Tough life, when people do certain things to you."

Yes, Joe. when underprivileged kids are anal raped by a large man, it does make for a "tough" life, I imagine.

Get rid of this person now. He is an embarassment.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #293
RainMaker
General Manager

And when you don't think it can get worse.

Twitter
Old 11-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #294
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

It's normal for anybody dealing with a lawsuit to try and minimize what is said, but PSU has to absolutely fear what Paterno would say if reporters got to him.

Quote:
Everything's great, all right.

Really?

Last edited by Matthean : 11-08-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #295
SportsDino
College Prospect

Quote:

Based on what is out there it is not much of an eager rush so much as a "oh my god, what the fuck, you can't be serious..." insert various levels of rage here "..., wait he knew about it, well uhm, he knew then, he allowed what... he still allows that... Fuck Joe Paterno!"

As someone who always thought of the coach as an interesting story and generally had respect for the PSU program my first reaction was that he was just incompetent and too old to follow the game anymore to notice what was going on, but all the data points to him knowing something was up and tolerating it. The only things that would help right now are details showing he was told the situation was resolved and that Sandusky was fit to be on campus (which was clearly wrong from the official record but maybe they can make an argument he was unaware of details) or if he comes out with a 'mea culpa' statement saying why he thought he did the right thing but how he knows now it wasn't and he is determined to help the truth of the matter be discovered.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #297
Izulde
Head Coach

Well, my line of thinking as I've considered this some more is that it's awfully easy to moralize and judge from your armchairs or what have you. My impression is that Sandusky and Paterno were good friends. Realistically, how many of you would turn in your friends or family if you discovered something like this was going on?

I think most people, despite all this hue and cry, wouldn't. Rather, they'd try and minimize and control the situation as much as possible (especially true for JoePa's generation as someone else earlier brought up). Or, what I'd be likely to do in this situation, basically encourage, if not frog-march them to get help.

Now if Paterno was indeed allowing Sandusky on campus with little boys after these incidents, then I could see holding him accountable for that, because then he's not making the effort to control the situation as much as he could have.

By the way, I notice there's an obsessive-compulsive quality to Sandusky's behavior when reading the grand jury. Time and time again, the exact same actions and the exact same situations. This suggests to me that it's a deep-seated mental illness rather than a conscious thing. This also tells me that jail would not change him one bit.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Sandusky commit suicide long before the final fallout is done.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #298
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, my line of thinking as I've considered this some more is that it's awfully easy to moralize and judge from your armchairs or what have you. My impression is that Sandusky and Paterno were good friends. Realistically, how many of you would turn in your friends or family if you discovered something like this was going on?

I prosecuted a friend who committed check fraud against me. I'll just add that I can at least buy into the cover up aspect. I do not, however, get letting him be on campus running a kids camp after he was deemed a pedophile.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #299
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I wonder how many times over 40 + years Joe has warned players about the company they keep. Such a fucking joke to think about.