Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-23-2021, 05:45 PM   #1
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

OOTP 22 Release Date and Preorder Info

Official launch date is March 26. No details on new features yet, except confirmation that the game has been upgraded to a 64-bit platform. Hopefully this will translate to improved performance for us folks who like to run the entire baseball universe in our simulations.

Announcement:
Out of the Park Baseball 22 - Pre-Order now! - OOTP Developments Forums

Q&A:
OOTP 22 Pre-Order Q&A Thread - OOTP Developments Forums

Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:58 PM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

64 bit might help, but I doubt much else has been done but improve the gambling/card gsme.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:05 PM   #3
RainMaker
Head Coach

I still enjoy the game and the 64-bit is a nice upgrade. But like GrandDawg said, I think the focus will continue to be on the microtransaction game.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:25 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think this is the year I finally skip. I buy every year to support the developers but I rarely play anymore. Aside from updating the rosters and rules, this game doesn't need an annual release.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:01 PM   #5
lungs
Pro Rookie

This has been a 'take my money on first day of preorder' purchase since OOTP2. I'm going to wait and see what's changed. I'll more than likely purchase but I wouldn't say that 100% at this point until I know what's been improved.

The 3D stuff has kept me satisfied the past few years as I've switched to mostly playing out every game, though I still do a fair amount of long term sims.

I've played Perfect Team but find myself wondering why? I rip open packs and all that but never really follow the progress of my team once I hit a certain point. I may not bother with it anymore.

Last edited by lungs : 02-23-2021 at 07:02 PM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:46 PM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

For the not so tech savvy among us, what does the move to 64-bit mean in a sim game like this?

I think putting the collections together is more fun than simming seasons in PT, but not to the point of paying for packs. I hope they don’t start charging for past seasons for the regular game.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:10 PM   #7
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
For the not so tech savvy among us, what does the move to 64-bit mean in a sim game like this?

From what I understand, the 64-bit versions utilize the RAM more efficiently, which in turn results in less file swapping. For a program like OOTP, it likely means there will be fewer crashes when the file size gets to be very large. I think the 32-bit version can only utilize 4GB of RAM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:27 PM   #8
GrantDawg

That, and could possibly have better utilization of multiple cores.

Old 02-23-2021, 09:14 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I do not have high hopes for solo versions, but Perfect Team usage has blown up so much. OOTP online would be nice if it meant online leagues could operate from a device rather than the annoyances of FTP, but seems even that's a year away. I don't think I'll buy it unless a league I'm in decides to upgrade, I would not have have upgraded my online league had it continued. Posting a road to release and asking for pre-orders without telling us anything about what's to come is garbage though. It's not Madden, nothing mind blowing about the graphics or that i'll desperately come back to see.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-23-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Young Drachma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:00 AM   #10
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I've been happy with the yearly purchases, but Perfect Team has been a red flag that is quickly becoming realized. We saw it with all the EA titles, after a while you see the other modes largely abandoned for the ultimate team modes. After all, why spend your time working on financial AI for your franchise mode, when you can get players to pay with real money? You can already feel that the development time is shifting in that direction.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:41 PM   #11
JPhillips
General Manager

I wonder how many years before Markus can leave and enjoy his bank account.

Last edited by JPhillips : 02-24-2021 at 04:26 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:02 PM   #12
GrantDawg

I can only imagine the cartoon this game will become when that happens

Old 02-24-2021, 05:00 PM   #13
Swaggs
Coordinator

I was thinking about that with Jim, too. When you are a one-man or small operation, you cannot do it forever. It seems like the endgame has to be either fold or sell the property to someone else that you think/hope can carry it forward.

I think it must be tough for folks like them that have 20+ years in a project to keep finding momentum. I'm hopeful that, but not counting on, OOTP and FOF will go in good directions (or at least somewhat enjoyable).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I was thinking about that with Jim, too. When you are a one-man or small operation, you cannot do it forever. It seems like the endgame has to be either fold or sell the property to someone else that you think/hope can carry it forward.

I think it must be tough for folks like them that have 20+ years in a project to keep finding momentum. I'm hopeful that, but not counting on, OOTP and FOF will go in good directions (or at least somewhat enjoyable).

Well I'd say to look at Football Manager to see that's not necessarily the case. The game has continuously improved from year to year (some more than others). It's almost unrecognizable as a "text sim" anymore. Even though they have a real publisher, I don't think they ever had to sell their soul or cash in on real life currency trends.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:16 PM   #15
GrantDawg

Not an American sport. International sales boost FM. The sports manager market in the United Staes is just not as financially feasible. Especially when they can make so much more money on crappy money grab games.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-24-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:19 PM   #16
JPhillips
General Manager

So many of the career problems with OOTP, roster management, financials, etc., have been there for years. I don't know if Markus didn't care to fix them or didn't know how to fix them. When he found the player card gold mine, though, he suddenly had the opportunity for a lot of money. I don't blame him for grabbing it while it was available.

For, Jim, though, the story is a lot different. He's never had the option to cash in since he left EA.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:14 AM   #17
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I still don't have a clue what Perfect Team is. I just assumed it was so sort of fantasy team offshoot of the game? Doesn't interest me in the least.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #18
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I still don't have a clue what Perfect Team is. I just assumed it was so sort of fantasy team offshoot of the game? Doesn't interest me in the least.

I think it's that thing where you buy a game, but then keep giving the game developer money as long as you play it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #19
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Benchwarmer

And then giving the game developer even more money to buy the next version of the game because everything you did and paid for in the previous version of the game no longer counts/works.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:43 PM   #20
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Actually the Perfect Team mode is a fantastic feat in online development. The games play out every 30 minutes or so during the week, and the playoffs happen every weekend. So you can edit your rosters and submit them anytime. You get promoted or demoted to different leagues based on your success.

The bad thing is that your team's results no longer are based on your roster management abilities, and become more about your willingness to spend more money than your opponents. You can buy packs of cards that you open , and you will get random players. Rare players are much harder to get than the entry level ones. Personally, I play games to get away from the "have / have not" thing that is real life.

My son plays a lot of FIFA, and he took $100 that he got for his birthday and dumped it all in packs. He got nothing of value. I was so angry because I worked hard to make that $100 and it was gone and was of little value to him(he sold the cards for some points). It's almost like going to Chuck E Cheese and playing games all day for tickets, and you end up with enough to buy a $0.10 plastic ring or something.