Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2015, 09:22 AM   #2751
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

I think how OOTP or FM approach achievements is a good start. I would see them fall into 5 categories:

1. Learning to play (Winning a game with a user modified game plan, using all your interviews, all units cohesion over 85, 10+ affinities, etc.)
2. Simple getting started ones (400 yards passing, winning a game calling the plays, winning a superbowl)
3. Individual season records, which would be a good way to bring the actual NFL records into the game (Sacks, INTs, rushing), Perfect season
4. Career play ones (Coaching wins, 3 superbowls in a row, career individual records)
5. Challenges (Make the playoffs with only undrafted free agents)

I agree with the comments that you should be able to earn a good chunk of them (2/3?) just playing normally. I don't play to get achievements, but some of them can make a cool moment even better, and it's neat to look back on them once and a while.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:44 AM   #2752
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I think how OOTP or FM approach achievements is a good start. I would see them fall into 5 categories:

1. Learning to play (Winning a game with a user modified game plan, using all your interviews, all units cohesion over 85, 10+ affinities, etc.)
2. Simple getting started ones (400 yards passing, winning a game calling the plays, winning a superbowl)
3. Individual season records, which would be a good way to bring the actual NFL records into the game (Sacks, INTs, rushing), Perfect season
4. Career play ones (Coaching wins, 3 superbowls in a row, career individual records)
5. Challenges (Make the playoffs with only undrafted free agents)

I agree with the comments that you should be able to earn a good chunk of them (2/3?) just playing normally. I don't play to get achievements, but some of them can make a cool moment even better, and it's neat to look back on them once and a while.

This is a great breakdown and I agree with your thoughts all around.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #2753
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
This is a great breakdown and I agree with your thoughts all around.

Yeah, I'm good with everything said there too. If there are to be achievements, what was described in that post makes sense.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #2754
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I missed this post, but read a review today.. think I'll grab this tonight!

Maximum Pixelation - Door Kickers (PC) Review

Door Kickers - Buy and download on GamersGate

On sale for $10.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #2755
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I don't hunt for them and I don't compare them with friends. When I get a little popup saying I achieved something, I just quickly look at the popup to see if I can tell what it was judging by the title, and then move on.

This is exactly how I feel about them too.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #2756
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't mess around at all with the Steam cards. A friend of mine, who collects everything, wants them all, so anytime I get them, he immediately offers me a "trade". So, I just send them all his way.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #2757
Radii
Head Coach

I sell all my steam cards for (usually) 8-15 cents, because why not. It saves me a dollar during a sale on a $5 game that i'll probably never even load up, what a bargain!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #2758
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

This is tricky. While I like the idea of harder-to-earn achievements, I don't want to make the measurement aspects of the game, like ratings or cohesion, any more a focus than they already are. So that kind of achievement I don't think enhances the game for someone who already might be encouraged to venture on that kind of challenge on his own. If that makes sense.

Some of these (like having a player on your team reach 61,665 passing yards, which is Favre's one-team record) will be quite difficult. It's going to be hard to create meaningful achievements without making this a world where it will take a long time to get to 2/3 completed.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #2759
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Another thing for Jim to consider would be utilizing the steam workshop to share gameplans, rosters, logo packs, etc. These are things that might really help immersion for the non-fofc crowd.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #2760
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Another thing for Jim to consider would be utilizing the steam workshop to share gameplans, rosters, logo packs, etc. These are things that might really help immersion for the non-fofc crowd.

YES YES YES
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:29 PM   #2761
Blackadar
Retired

Another thing for Jim to consider is who is going to take the punishment on the Steam forums and act as moderator.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. You must be cautious. Leave it unmoderated and you'll drive people away from your product because the tone on the forums will be disgusting and unfriendly. Moderate too carefully (like only allowing purchasers to post or being overly strict on postings) and you'll quickly get a bad reputation that will also negatively impact sales. You could also just direct people to come here - which is both good and bad - but most consumers think that is unfriendly as well.

In short, have a plan before going live because you will have to deal with the Steam forum bullshit.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:14 PM   #2762
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
This is tricky. While I like the idea of harder-to-earn achievements, I don't want to make the measurement aspects of the game, like ratings or cohesion, any more a focus than they already are. So that kind of achievement I don't think enhances the game for someone who already might be encouraged to venture on that kind of challenge on his own. If that makes sense.

Some of these (like having a player on your team reach 61,665 passing yards, which is Favre's one-team record) will be quite difficult. It's going to be hard to create meaningful achievements without making this a world where it will take a long time to get to 2/3 completed.

Breaking the record totals into several smaller achievements would work. A twenty thousand, thirty, forty, etc. That's the way most counting type achievements work on other games.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #2763
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

I'd like to see some achievements for some of the things players attempt after playing for a while-- Isle of Misfit Toys and the like.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #2764
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Something strange is happening to me.. all of a sudden I'm really into Endless Space. Never did much for me, but I'm engrossed into it now.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #2765
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Something strange is happening to me.. all of a sudden I'm really into Endless Space. Never did much for me, but I'm engrossed into it now.

Really? why? Endless Space is the only Endless game I don't have.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #2766
Grover
Pro Starter

I'm finding it difficult to get into Endless Legend.

Need to really take the time to understand it, I guess.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #2767
path12
Coordinator

The things I really love about Endless Legend are that the factions all play very differently from each other, the one city per province mechanic and the way they do the technology tree. I've put a ton of hours into it.

What I don't love is the feeling that the game bogs down and gets a bit dull around two thirds of the way through. It is also a rarity for me because I am one of those players who mostly enjoys the exploration/empire building parts of 4X and am fine with regular difficulty. Endless Legend I need to bump up to hard or it is just no challenge at all.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:18 PM   #2768
frnk55
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

That's the reason why I have not bought it yet......
frnk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:17 PM   #2769
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
Really? why? Endless Space is the only Endless game I don't have.

I don't really know.. maybe I've actually sat down and just played and learned. The game just started to finally open up to me now and has been fun. I'm playing the expansion, disharmony so I'm guessing it's been several patches since I last played.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #2770
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

What are you having a difficult time with? It's actually one of the more elegant and refined 4x games I've played in quite some time.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #2771
PilotMan
Head Coach

$2.95 will get you SLAMMED! the next Choose Your Own Adventure styled interactive fiction from Choice of Games (the people who brought you Choice of Robots). This one is based on Professional Wrestling. It should be a no-brainer.

Like Steam?

Old 02-01-2015, 07:43 AM   #2772
Grover
Pro Starter

Said this a couple of weeks ago, but no one bit. I've got a free copy of Nuclear Throne to gift to someone!

Old 02-01-2015, 08:33 AM   #2773
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Did anyone try HOMMIII HD yet?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #2774
Lonnie
High School Varsity

HOMMIII was my favorite of the series. I haven't tried it yet, but will eventually.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:23 AM   #2775
Ramzavail
College Starter

I heard it was really buggy.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:26 AM   #2776
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Reviews on HOMMII HD seem to criticize the lack of expansions, and the lack of really high quality HD stuff too. Perhaps GOG instead?

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:23 AM   #2777
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Reviews on HOMMII HD seem to criticize the lack of expansions, and the lack of really high quality HD stuff too. Perhaps GOG instead?

Yeah, the HOMM game isn't getting a good reputation. I have the original HOMM 2 from GOG and it's fine. There's even a widescreen mod out there, though it tends to crash from time to time.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:26 AM   #2778
Blackadar
Retired

I did not realize how many horrible, shitty games there are on Steam. I've taken it upon myself to rate the games - wishlist, following or not interested - using the Steam explore feature. I'm up to about 2.750 games rated. I got some really interesting stuff recommended - a couple I had never heard of - but now I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel. Most games have negative or very negative review scores and they keep on coming! Still, I must get to the end of the queue...

As for Steam games, Darkest Dungeon comes out tomorrow (Early Access). After looking over some Let's Plays, I'm buying this...
Old 02-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #2779
PilotMan
Head Coach

Front Office Football Seven on Steam

Game unlocked in 2 days.

Fuck yeah.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 02-02-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #2780
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'm really enjoying Dungeons of the Endless, screw the other Endless games!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #2781
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I bought the first four versions of FOF but not the last two(?) Not sure why. I think that I have more hours into FOF 1 than any other game except maybe for the original Civ and Railroad Tycoon. Count me in for a Feb 4 purchase.

One quick question -- is multiplayer humans only or will the AI fill out the league?
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #2782
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
I bought the first four versions of FOF but not the last two(?) Not sure why. I think that I have more hours into FOF 1 than any other game except maybe for the original Civ and Railroad Tycoon. Count me in for a Feb 4 purchase.

One quick question -- is multiplayer humans only or will the AI fill out the league?

Vacant MP teams can be set to Computer controlled.

Like Steam?

Old 02-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #2783
Blackadar
Retired

Darkest Dungeon just released on Early Access today. I've played for 105 minutes, so obviously I haven't totally locked down my impressions. I'm not generally a fan of Roguelike games. As I've gotten older, I like easier games. So this game is a bit of a stretch for me. But so far...what a tense, tight, remarkable game this is.

You take a squad of 4 (though you will have a roster of many more than that) through various side-scrolling dungeons in TBS play mode, recruit new heroes and build your town as you try to uncover a haunted keep. That sounds pretty bland, right? Well, it's not. The art style and voice overs are awesome and really help create the dark atmosphere. It's like playing a bleak comic book. There are plenty of new mechanics - light counts for a lot, there are some really INTERESTING classes, your characters are slowly driven mad over time and there are some really cool skills too. Every mission, every encounter is fraught with danger. You WILL lose battles. You WILL lose adventurers.

It's just EA, but so far it plays better than most full releases. I won't rush to judgement, but what I've seen so far is really impressive.

Last edited by Blackadar : 02-03-2015 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:10 AM   #2784
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Blackadar I am playing Darkest Dungeon too and am pretty impressed - it's certainly a hard game, not just in terms of permadeath but in terms of your town and hero management strategies. So far I'm liking it a ton - even enough to buy it EA which I rarely do.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:43 AM   #2785
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Blackadar I am playing Darkest Dungeon too and am pretty impressed - it's certainly a hard game, not just in terms of permadeath but in terms of your town and hero management strategies. So far I'm liking it a ton - even enough to buy it EA which I rarely do.

I'm off the rest of the week, so I bought it too. Pretty fun so far.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:59 AM   #2786
Grover
Pro Starter

Is Darkest Dungeon by the same group that did Desktop Dungeons?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:13 AM   #2787
PilotMan
Head Coach

Just in case you missed this in either the FOF7 discussion or in the Steam group you are now able to convert your license to Steam:

Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - FOF7 Steam Release And Super Bowl Sale Imminent

Like Steam?

Old 02-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #2788
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Is Darkest Dungeon by the same group that did Desktop Dungeons?

No and these are very different types of games.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #2789
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
No and these are very different types of games.

Some of the text, etc looked similar.

I'm going to wait for a price drop for this one, it looks hugely promising.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #2790
Ramzavail
College Starter

Thanks for the review, I was on the fence on this one. I think you sold me.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #2791
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Just finished Episode 2 of the Game of Thrones Telltale game.

AWESOME.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #2792
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Just finished Episode 2 of the Game of Thrones Telltale game.

AWESOME.

Have you played the Walking Dead ones? Comparable? Better?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #2793
cschex
High School Varsity

I have played first season of Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us and just finished Ep 2 last night of GoT. My rating is Got>WAU>TWD. Telltale just keeps improving in my opinion. All 3 are absolutely worth it if you like this type of game though
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #2794
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Darkest Dungeon just released on Early Access today. I've played for 105 minutes, so obviously I haven't totally locked down my impressions. I'm not generally a fan of Roguelike games. As I've gotten older, I like easier games. So this game is a bit of a stretch for me. But so far...what a tense, tight, remarkable game this is.

You take a squad of 4 (though you will have a roster of many more than that) through various side-scrolling dungeons in TBS play mode, recruit new heroes and build your town as you try to uncover a haunted keep. That sounds pretty bland, right? Well, it's not. The art style and voice overs are awesome and really help create the dark atmosphere. It's like playing a bleak comic book. There are plenty of new mechanics - light counts for a lot, there are some really INTERESTING classes, your characters are slowly driven mad over time and there are some really cool skills too. Every mission, every encounter is fraught with danger. You WILL lose battles. You WILL lose adventurers.

It's just EA, but so far it plays better than most full releases. I won't rush to judgement, but what I've seen so far is really impressive.

Had seen this shown at a couple Sony events and didn't realize it was coming to PC too, just decided to get it while buying FOF7.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #2795
Blackadar
Retired

My gaming the last 24 hours has been a study of contrasts. I'm playing Banished and Darkest Dungeon.

Banished - la la la this is nice and relaxing. I'll put a house here, a farm there and look at my population grow. How nice, this is fun.

Darkest Dungeon - MOTHERF$#!ER, HIT IT!!! HIT IT!!!!!! %#%, ANOTHER #%$@# CRITICAL HIT! DAMN IT! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Last edited by Blackadar : 02-04-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:10 PM   #2796
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
I have played first season of Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us and just finished Ep 2 last night of GoT. My rating is Got>WAU>TWD. Telltale just keeps improving in my opinion. All 3 are absolutely worth it if you like this type of game though

Will have to echo this sentiment.

GoT > Tales From Borderlands > WAU > TWD.

They've gotten better with each game.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #2797
Blackadar
Retired

I haven't played GoT and have no interest in Tales From Borderlands. The three I have played are:

TWD1 > WAU > TWD2
Old 02-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #2798
PilotMan
Head Coach

I would rate TWD higher but the save game issues I've had are such a pain in the ass.

Like Steam?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:08 PM   #2799
Thomkal
Head Coach

One of my favorite YouTube game reviewers/"let's play" has taken a first look at Darkest Dungeeon. I have not looked at it yet.

First Look: Darkest Dungeon - YouTube
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #2800
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
One of my favorite YouTube game reviewers/"let's play" has taken a first look at Darkest Dungeeon. I have not looked at it yet.

First Look: Darkest Dungeon - YouTube

Yeah, see the above discussion about it. I haven't really heard anyone not liking it yet.