Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

2012 MLB Thread (Cabrera Gets Triple Crown, first since Yaz 1967)

HAPPY PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT DAY!

Spring is almost here and I just renewed my MLB Audio subscription for another year

(well, except Seattle and Oakland)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-04-2012 at 06:09 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Seems like there was a pretty even split between today and yesterday for report days. Except Seattle who showed up last week apparently.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

One of the most hopeful days of the year for me.

Love baseball. Fuck winter.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Seattle and Oakland showed up last week because they have the opening series in Japan a week early

I was going off of the "official" calendar- you know, like MLK's birthday (Observed)
MLB Important Dates | MLB.com: Schedule

SI

Old 02-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Let's go Cardinals!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and for the record, MLB is kindof a pain to deal with on their site with regards to payment.

MLB Audio signs you up to auto-renew next year unless you "cancel your subscription". You still get to listen all year, even if you cancel- but it makes it sound like "the only way you can opt out for automatic renewal is if you cancel".

Second, they save your credit card profile without your permission and there's no way to delete it that I can tell.

What a pain: is this the interwebs circa 2003?

SI

Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Re MLB network. Good luck finding anynkindbofbhelp from a human.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Oh, and for the record, MLB is kindof a pain to deal with on their site with regards to payment.

MLB Audio signs you up to auto-renew next year unless you "cancel your subscription". You still get to listen all year, even if you cancel- but it makes it sound like "the only way you can opt out for automatic renewal is if you cancel".

Second, they save your credit card profile without your permission and there's no way to delete it that I can tell.

What a pain: is this the interwebs circa 2003?

SI

Oh yeah, they're a bunch of Mofo's. I don't like having to send an email and pray that it's not renewed. I do like the iPhone app since I can just buy it when I want.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

I remember a few years back there was an option to opt out of the auto renewal, it's a shame that has gone.

I see that they have a paypal option. I think that is what I will use this season.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Paypal is going to be my way to go next season unless they somehow can tie that in for renewal (stupid)

SI

Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #11
molson
General Manager

We're a little OT already but I wonder how much automatic renewals cost consumers every year for products they don't even want. How far can this go? I bet in a few years they'll be a standard part of new car purchase agreements. 5 years later they show up with a new car and a $15,000 bill.

Last edited by molson : 02-19-2012 at 01:55 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
Suicane75
Coordinator

I just got my notification that I would be renewed on the 28th and when I went to the page it said I had no subscriptions so there was nothing to cancel. I think the same thing happened last year and I just let it go and I ended up getting charged when it came time to renew, didn't use it once. This year I smartened up and emailed them. I'm pretty sure I've had it for 2 or 3 years now where I didn't want or use it. Ultimately it's the users fault but they sure don't make it easy for you.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, all the other leagues can relax now - baseball is back!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Love the start of spring training. It's not only the start of baseball for me, but the start of spring. Spring and early summer are pretty much my favorite times of the year.

I am also hopeful that the Rangers' recent success and the Angels' uber offseason will lead to a little more heightened coverage from the Eastern Sports Programming Network this year, especially when they're playing each other. I know we'll still get snowed by Boston-New York, but it would be neat to see them give similar treatment to a Texas-Anaheim series.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #15
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm debating switching to MLBTV from Extra Innings Direct TV this year. How good are the HD feeds? Can I stream games onto my IPAD? I have a PS3 and ROKU box for my other two TVs.

Last edited by rowech : 02-19-2012 at 07:17 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

So.. I'm not seeing a monthly subscription? Do I have to purchase an annual subscription? I've had it the past couple of years, but I don't know how much I'll be using it this year...

I swear the past couple years I've paid monthly.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hooray!! Baseball is almost upon us!!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm debating switching to MLBTV from Extra Innings Direct TV this year. How good are the HD feeds? Can I stream games onto my IPAD? I have a PS3 and ROKU box for my other two TVs.

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure you can on an iPad. I use my PS3 for tv, and when I'm out and about I can watch on my Android phone. You need to purchase the At.Bat app for the 2012 season whenever that comes out, though.

Only thing I am unsure of is if it requires flash which is why it would work on my Android. I highly doubt they have it setup for Android, but not iOS, though. That would be stupid.

RE: Feed. I've always found it perfectly fine on my PS3. When using wifi on my phone it was fine as well. I'm excited about the 4G on my Android now as I should be good everywhere.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #19
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

dola -

Products | MLB.com: Subscriptions
Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #20
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure you can on an iPad. I use my PS3 for tv, and when I'm out and about I can watch on my Android phone. You need to purchase the At.Bat app for the 2012 season whenever that comes out, though.

Only thing I am unsure of is if it requires flash which is why it would work on my Android. I highly doubt they have it setup for Android, but not iOS, though. That would be stupid.

RE: Feed. I've always found it perfectly fine on my PS3. When using wifi on my phone it was fine as well. I'm excited about the 4G on my Android now as I should be good everywhere.

Well, I'm not sure if I'm lucky or what but I called Directv asking if they could lower the price of Extra Innings package down to something closer to MLBTV as I was considering the versatility of that over being locked to just DirectTV.

They offered 10 bucks off my bill for 6 months which put it in the ballpark. I hemmed and hawed a bit more and then the whopper of 20 bucks off my bill for 12 months. Essentially, they're paying me 30 bucks to get the baseball package this year. I'm still in disbelief. Of course, my first reaction was stupidly -- now I can have both.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #21
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I find that it has a slight look of being streamed. It's not 100% as good as TV, but it's probably 85-90%. I think you can get it onto your iPad too, but I'm not 100% sure. Also, you might actually be blacked out for the Reds if you live in a certain area though.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM   #22
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I find that it has a slight look of being streamed. It's not 100% as good as TV, but it's probably 85-90%. I think you can get it onto your iPad too, but I'm not 100% sure. Also, you might actually be blacked out for the Reds if you live in a certain area though.

I know the Reds games would be blacked out but I would still get the broadcast for their games through regional Fox Sports.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #24
Logan
Head Coach

I've never been less excited for a season. A part of my refuses to root for the Mets until the Wilpons sell the team, but there's a piece of my soul that can't let go.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #25
MrBug708
Head Coach

Counting down the days til the team is sold
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #26
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

+1

(wonder if a Visa gift card is usable for a subscription. I need the dulcet tones of Mssr Scully.)
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #27
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

+2000

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:17 AM   #28
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
HAPPY PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT DAY!

Spring is almost here and I just renewed my MLB Audio subscription for another year

(well, except Seattle and Oakland)

SI

What's wrong with the Seattle and Oakland audio of their games?
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #29
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
We're a little OT already but I wonder how much automatic renewals cost consumers every year for products they don't even want. How far can this go? I bet in a few years they'll be a standard part of new car purchase agreements. 5 years later they show up with a new car and a $15,000 bill.

I seriously doubt it will ever apply to most products like this, but there has been legislation introduced/passed in a number of states over the past several years that places restrictions on company's auto-renewal shenanigans on "service contracts." It varies by state, but some of these laws are applicable to things like phone service and gym memberships.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #30
Dutch
"Dutch"

Tampa Bay Rays Top 5 Questions this off-season.
  1. Can Matt Moore give us 15 solid starts in his debut season?
  2. Is Desmond Jennings ready to turn into a superstar?
  3. Will Evan Longoria stop banging strippers and shooting AK-47's long enough to focus on baseball?
  4. Does the Legend of Sam Fuld have more magic?
  5. Will the $40M 'moneyball' Rays win more games against the Red Sox and Yankees...again!
If we answer YES to all of these questions, it will be another great season. It certainly won't be easy. Go Rays!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 AM   #31
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That just reminded me of how awesome Game 162 of last season was:
Joe Posnanski » Posts Baseball Night in America «

SI

Old 02-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #32
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
That just reminded me of how awesome Game 162 of last season was:
Joe Posnanski » Posts Baseball Night in America «

SI

*goosebumps*
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #33
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I seriously doubt it will ever apply to most products like this, but there has been legislation introduced/passed in a number of states over the past several years that places restrictions on company's auto-renewal shenanigans on "service contracts." It varies by state, but some of these laws are applicable to things like phone service and gym memberships.

Just as a follow up, every year I get charged the going rate for ESPN insider, even though it is free with an ESPN magazine subscription, which I'm pretty sure I still have for the next 3-4 years that I got for a ridiculously low price. Every year, I have to call ESPN and tell them to give me my money back because they auto-renew insider at full price instead of free. I've made this call 6-7 years in a row, and they fail to fix it.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #34
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Just as a follow up, every year I get charged the going rate for ESPN insider, even though it is free with an ESPN magazine subscription, which I'm pretty sure I still have for the next 3-4 years that I got for a ridiculously low price. Every year, I have to call ESPN and tell them to give me my money back because they auto-renew insider at full price instead of free. I've made this call 6-7 years in a row, and they fail to fix it.

I know I get Insider for free with the rag, but I refuse to give them credit card info since it is free.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #35
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Did Game 6 of the World Series really end that way?
***checks the box score again***
Damn it.

I guess hope does spring eternal. I have my tickets for the Rangers opening weekend.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #36
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post

Actually, I've documented my frustration with this in one of those "free insider" threads around here. Last time, the lady basically acknowledged it's an issue and made it sound like no one really cares enough to fix the system. It sounded like it was a well-known issue among the rank-and-file answering the phones, but that that there was nothing they could do about it - it was over their heads, and the higher-ups didn't really give a crap.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 AM   #37
JPhillips
General Manager

This is why it's hard to be a Reds fan.

Quote:
The moral in all of this is that Brett Tomko is the winningest pitcher drafted & signed by the #Reds in the last 28 years.

Brett fucking Tomko
Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 AM   #38
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure if I'm lucky or what but I called Directv asking if they could lower the price of Extra Innings package down to something closer to MLBTV as I was considering the versatility of that over being locked to just DirectTV.

They offered 10 bucks off my bill for 6 months which put it in the ballpark. I hemmed and hawed a bit more and then the whopper of 20 bucks off my bill for 12 months. Essentially, they're paying me 30 bucks to get the baseball package this year. I'm still in disbelief. Of course, my first reaction was stupidly -- now I can have both.

I called and cancelled my auto renewal for the Extra Innings Package as well. They didn't offer me anything, didn't really matter. I'll save the $100 and get the package on my ps3, computer, roku, and phone.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #39
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Brett fucking Tomko

Any idea how many wins? I'd be curious since, say, Kevin Appier, who the most wins are for a Royals drafted starting pitcher. I'm almost certain the list might start with Greinke's 60 wins for the Royals (16 more for Milwaukee for a career total of 76).

Jeff Suppan is at 39 but not originally a Royal
Jose Rosado apparently is 37...
Luke Hochevar is at 30...

And that's the best I can find otherwise since the mid 90s. I mean of anyone anywhere. It's bleak

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-20-2012 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #40
Ksyrup

28 years seems incredibly arbirtrary. Who is the Reds pitcher that they are excluding that falls just outside the 28 years?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #41
Ksyrup

Actually, I'm going to guess it's Tom Browning.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Jose Rijo?

SI

Old 02-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #43
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually, I'm going to guess it's Tom Browning.

Tom Browning

Old 02-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #44
stevew
Hall Of Famer

yeah, and Browning would be the correct answer.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #45
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Brett fucking Tomko

Yeah, but with a decent season(10 wins), Leake would take over the lead here.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #46
Ksyrup

Quote:
Jose Rijo?

SI

Originally a Yankee. The Yankees really were a frickin mess in the 80s. I miss those days. Heck, I didn't even hate them then, because there was no reason to.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
28 years seems incredibly arbirtrary. Who is the Reds pitcher that they are excluding that falls just outside the 28 years?

Would you believe Bobby Witt (142-157) who won more games than Tom Browning (123-90), both in the 1982 draft. Both also have more wins than Tomko (100-103).

BUT ... if baseball-reference.com is correct, then Paul Byrd (109-96) was drafted by the Reds in '88 and would qualify as well (assuming the wins are career rather than Reds-only)
Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #48
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

It is arbitrary, but it was tweeted because Tomko just signed a minor league deal to return to the Reds.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #49
Ksyrup

Huh. They both threw a perfect game, too, while young.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #50
Ksyrup

Quote:
It is arbitrary, but it was tweeted because Tomko just signed a minor league deal to return to the Reds.

I understand why it was tweeted, but it's an arbitrary number designed to make it look worse than it is. 25 years would have made more sense. The extra 3 years was added to get the maximum impact, despite at least 2 guys who were drafted 28 years and a day later who easily eclipse that number. It just kinda stood out as if it was a stat crafted for a purpose.