Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Unofficial Official 2012-13 College Basketball Thread

ESPN/Andy Katz's early projections for 2012-2013.

Andy Katz: Indiana Hoosiers will continue moving up in 2012-13 - ESPN

Go Hoosiers!

Last edited by Kodos : 11-26-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

I really want Shabazz to pick Duke, but I'm torn because he's likely a one and done player.

Coach K needs to change offensive philosophy and start getting good big men to come to Duke. I'm tired of heavily relying on the 3 pointer.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou is going to come into the season much like last year. Plenty of talent with questions as to whether they can gel. They do get the extra advantage of a European tour in August that should help get the guys together.

From the Katz article when talking about where Texas may finish in conference........

Quote:
Losing Missouri will move the Longhorns up within the Big 12 next season, too.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Robinson and Tyler are huge holes to fill. Teahan also graduates so that's a 3rd from our shallow 7 man rotation. But if Withey stays, our team is still pretty good.

A core led by Withey and Johnson is still not too shabby. It would feel like this year or the year Aldrich and Collins came back (2009) or this year: By the end of the season, the potential of one stud big man and one stud guard. Releford is still a college poor man's Shane Battier: smart defender with limited offensive game (don't get me wrong: Battier was really good in college but I mean Releford can play the role in college that Battier plays in the NBA). And Kevin Young should be a year better and hopefully a year in the weight room stronger as he gets thrown around by other team's 4s. That's a pretty good quartet of seniors.

I'm not really sure what we have coming in. McLemore is eligible and there were 2 other freshmen this year who had eligibility issues. Looking at Scout, we have a pair of 4 stars (PF Ellis, SF White) and 3x 3 stars in the recruiting class. I've seen Ellis as a 5 star elsewhere so he would be a good complement underneath with Withey and Young.

If I were Withey, I look long and hard at the NBA. I think his defense might have some looking his direction. But he has so limited of an offensive game that I can't see too many teams reaching for him. Another year in school, tho- I could see that changing. If he leaves, that's a huge hole for us to fill and then we're looking at Sweet 16 as ceiling again.

We're still paying the price for 2009 (Henry) and 2010 (Selby). With those one-and-done guys, that means there wasn't another player getting those quality minutes from which to build off of now.

All that said, I'm still not really ready to think about next year. I'll be a little sad about last night and ultimately really happy about our year.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

It will be interesting to see what happens now that Michigan is adding in even more talent and maybe its best since the Fab Five days. Burke should be back and with size in the front court Michigan will be much harder to deal with next year. Katz has MSU one ahead of Michigan for next year, but I think Michigan will be the better team.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
ESPN/Andy Katz's early projections for 2012-2013.

Andy Katz: Indiana Hoosiers will continue moving up in 2012-13 - ESPN

Go Hoosiers!

Huh.. VCU at 22...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Derrick Nix might be done for MSU.

Michigan State Spartans center Derrick Nix suspended after arrest - ESPN
Old 04-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Robinson and Tyler are huge holes to fill. Teahan also graduates so that's a 3rd from our shallow 7 man rotation. But if Withey stays, our team is still pretty good.

A core led by Withey and Johnson is still not too shabby. It would feel like this year or the year Aldrich and Collins came back (2009) or this year: By the end of the season, the potential of one stud big man and one stud guard. Releford is still a college poor man's Shane Battier: smart defender with limited offensive game (don't get me wrong: Battier was really good in college but I mean Releford can play the role in college that Battier plays in the NBA). And Kevin Young should be a year better and hopefully a year in the weight room stronger as he gets thrown around by other team's 4s. That's a pretty good quartet of seniors.

I'm not really sure what we have coming in. McLemore is eligible and there were 2 other freshmen this year who had eligibility issues. Looking at Scout, we have a pair of 4 stars (PF Ellis, SF White) and 3x 3 stars in the recruiting class. I've seen Ellis as a 5 star elsewhere so he would be a good complement underneath with Withey and Young.

If I were Withey, I look long and hard at the NBA. I think his defense might have some looking his direction. But he has so limited of an offensive game that I can't see too many teams reaching for him. Another year in school, tho- I could see that changing. If he leaves, that's a huge hole for us to fill and then we're looking at Sweet 16 as ceiling again.

We're still paying the price for 2009 (Henry) and 2010 (Selby). With those one-and-done guys, that means there wasn't another player getting those quality minutes from which to build off of now.

All that said, I'm still not really ready to think about next year. I'll be a little sad about last night and ultimately really happy about our year.

SI

I have heard great things about McLemore and Jamari Traylor from the practices. Would have been great having them this year for quality depth, but I'm not going to argue with the season's outcome. They should definitely make an impact next season though. Braeden Anderson was the third 2011 recruit you are thinking of, but he elected to go to Fresno State after he was found ineligible.

As for the 2012 class, Andrew White (SF) and Perry Ellis (PF) will definitely have a shot at playing though I'm really interested to see the battle between Traylor and Ellis. Landen Lucas (C) and Zach Peters (PF) will be two more bodies in the post and will be interesting to see how they mature under Self. Anrio Adams (SG) is the only guard coming in and should battle for some playing time with soon to be sophomore (Nadiir Tharpe).

Overall, KU should be solid next season with starters Travis Releford, Elijah Johnson and Jeff Withey returning. They are going to miss Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor obviously, but Bill Self is a smart guy who will squeeze out as much productivity from these guys as possible. It will definitely be another tough coaching job where they are going to have to hope some of the returners improve their game as Taylor and Robinson did this season.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I really want Shabazz to pick Duke, but I'm torn because he's likely a one and done player.

No Shot.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I have heard great things about McLemore and Jamari Traylor from the practices. Would have been great having them this year for quality depth, but I'm not going to argue with the season's outcome. They should definitely make an impact next season though. Braeden Anderson was the third 2011 recruit you are thinking of, but he elected to go to Fresno State after he was found ineligible.

As for the 2012 class, Andrew White (SF) and Perry Ellis (PF) will definitely have a shot at playing though I'm really interested to see the battle between Traylor and Ellis. Landen Lucas (C) and Zach Peters (PF) will be two more bodies in the post and will be interesting to see how they mature under Self. Anrio Adams (SG) is the only guard coming in and should battle for some playing time with soon to be sophomore (Nadiir Tharpe).

Overall, KU should be solid next season with starters Travis Releford, Elijah Johnson and Jeff Withey returning. They are going to miss Thomas Robinson and Tyshawn Taylor obviously, but Bill Self is a smart guy who will squeeze out as much productivity from these guys as possible. It will definitely be another tough coaching job where they are going to have to hope some of the returners improve their game as Taylor and Robinson did this season.

I'll ask the really dumb question: who is going to be our PG next year?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I hate to be too greedy, but let's get Shabazz and Nerlens Noel aboard the UK train and go for #9 next year.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm not surprised WVU isn't on his list, but if things play out like they appear to be WVU will be very good next season. As far as talent goes it could be Huggins most talented team at WVU. Aaric Murray is the big question mark. He was the last cut on the US team this past summer and Huggins has said he's the most talented player he's coached since Kenyon Martin. He has to keep himself out of trouble though. He's probably on his last chance already.

Juwan Staten is a guy the current players have been talking about quite a bit too. He was a highly rated player that transferred from Dayton with a reputation as a selfish player, but he seems to be doing great under Huggins.

I never expect all that much from freshmen, but Elijah Macon is a highly rated SF/PF that had committed as a Sophomore before Huggins cut him loose and told him to work on his grades. He's supposedly in line to qualify and is recommitted to WVU. He's the interior athlete Huggins loves to have. Terry Henderson is coming in with a reputation as a shooter, which is something WVU has been missing for years.

Losing Kevin Jones of course hurts, but as much as I've gone back and forth on what to think of Truck Bryant at this point I believe he's addition by subtraction. He played hard, but didn't play smart and for a guy that had a reputation as a shooter in High School he never shot 40% from the field.

Katz lists a total of 35 teams in that article. I'll be very surprised if WVU isn't one of the top 25 teams next year with a chance to be much better. Then again Murray could get himself in trouble again, Staten could revert to his old ways, and we could have an unexpected loss like Kilicli going back to Turkey or something and the team is an afterthought.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa is ready to make their return to the big dance. We only lose one player of note (Matt Gatens). Our starting 5 is young, big and talented.

Mike Gesell 6'1 top 100 by all sites
Josh Oglesby 6'5 top 150 player by all sites, sharpshooter from 3, 5th returning scorer at 7.8ppg
Devyn Marble 6'7 top returning scorer on the team, at 11.5 ppg
Aaron White 6'8 BT and National All freshmen team 2nd returning scorer on the team at 11.1 ppg
Adam Woodbury 7'1 Top 50 player and NBA Camp MVP

We have depth also. I havent been this excited about Iowa Basketball in a long time.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
MrBug708
Head Coach

Just say No Shabazz!
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Iowa is ready to make their return to the big dance. We only lose one player of note (Matt Gatens). Our starting 5 is young, big and talented.

Mike Gesell 6'1 top 100 by all sites
Josh Oglesby 6'5 top 150 player by all sites, sharpshooter from 3, 5th returning scorer at 7.8ppg
Devyn Marble 6'7 top returning scorer on the team, at 11.5 ppg
Aaron White 6'8 BT and National All freshmen team 2nd returning scorer on the team at 11.1 ppg
Adam Woodbury 7'1 Top 50 player and NBA Camp MVP

We have depth also. I havent been this excited about Iowa Basketball in a long time.

I can't wait for our sig bet to go in effect.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

Indiana, Louisville top our too early 2012-13 preseason Top 25 | CollegeBasketballTalk

Looks like IU won't be able to cry "no respect" next year...
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV on the border of the Top 25 sounds about right.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #18
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'll ask the really dumb question: who is going to be our PG next year?

SI

My guess would be Elijah Johnson with Nadir Tharpe backing him up. There will definitely be some growing pains on next year's roster, but I have confidence that Bill Self will make them competitive by the time Big 12 play rolls around.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 PM   #19
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6 View Post
I hate to be too greedy, but let's get Shabazz and Nerlens Noel aboard the UK train and go for #9 next year.

You have a heck of a coach.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #20
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

You can have Shabazz. Noel to Cuse. I mean c'mon, who wouldn't want to see a team with a Christmas and a Noel playing side by side?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Oriakhi sets his list of schools to visit........

Oriakhi Will Visit UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Missouri - UConn Basketball - Connecticut News
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
digamma
Torchbearer

I can see why he'd take a look at those four. I mean, they have 48 Final Four appearances combined.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #23
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I can see why he'd take a look at those three. I mean, they have 48 Final Four appearances combined.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #24
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Sullinger going pro.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #25
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Trey Burke is going pro which all but ruins Michigan's chances of a special season next year. I don't fault any kid for chasing their dreams but I'm pretty sure he is not going to be a first round pick.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #26
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Trey Burke is going pro which all but ruins Michigan's chances of a special season next year. I don't fault any kid for chasing their dreams but I'm pretty sure he is not going to be a first round pick.

Wow, I'm very surprised by this. I really thought he would stay.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #27
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Geez, at least let that dude who lost his foot get a couple of years to learn how to get around again before he loses the other one.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:

From the outside looking in, Beilein seems like a great coach to play for. Good offensive mind, seems pretty easy going, players over-perform relative to expectations, etc. there has to be more than meets eye though. Year after year Michigan loses players to the draft that clearly should return another year. He's also getting hit hard by transfers. He must be an ass behind closed doors, I don't think there is any other explanation.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #29
Butter
Coordinator

Is he hiring an agent? He could just be testing the waters.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #30
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
From the outside looking in, Beilein seems like a great coach to play for. Good offensive mind, seems pretty easy going, players over-perform relative to expectations, etc. there has to be more than meets eye though. Year after year Michigan loses players to the draft that clearly should return another year. He's also getting hit hard by transfers. He must be an ass behind closed doors, I don't think there is any other explanation.

His personality can rub people the wrong way. He can be a grumpy asshole at times and he wasn't known to form close relationships with his players while he was at WVU.

Great coach that has worked on his coaching flaws at Michigan (rebounding and defense), but his personality isn't for everyone.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #31
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This happens to Ben Howland, too. No way Malcolm Lee and Tyler Honeycutt should have gone pro last year. Of course, the info on Howland is much more out there now with the SI article.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #32
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Burke news is wonderful for the Hoosiers!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #33
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
Wow, I'm very surprised by this. I really thought he would stay.

+1. Talented or not, PGs under 6' don't exactly go that high in the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post

+1. My guess is there is more going on than one would think. If Burke ends up going, this is rather depressing to think about. McGary would all the more likely be a one and done as well.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #34
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Was really hoping Oriakhi would have Ohio State higher up on his list. He would really help fill the Sullinger hole.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #35
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Arizona should be a fun team to watch. The last two seasons (minus Derrick Williams last year), the team has primarily been a 6-6 and under team. Now, Arizona is bringing in 3 of the top big men in the country and should be more balanced.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #36
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The Burke news is wonderful for the Hoosiers!

Heck, the Sullinger and Burke news is great for the entire B1G.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #37
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #38
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'm not surprised WVU isn't on his list, but if things play out like they appear to be WVU will be very good next season. As far as talent goes it could be Huggins most talented team at WVU. Aaric Murray is the big question mark. He was the last cut on the US team this past summer and Huggins has said he's the most talented player he's coached since Kenyon Martin. He has to keep himself out of trouble though. He's probably on his last chance already.

Juwan Staten is a guy the current players have been talking about quite a bit too. He was a highly rated player that transferred from Dayton with a reputation as a selfish player, but he seems to be doing great under Huggins.

I never expect all that much from freshmen, but Elijah Macon is a highly rated SF/PF that had committed as a Sophomore before Huggins cut him loose and told him to work on his grades. He's supposedly in line to qualify and is recommitted to WVU. He's the interior athlete Huggins loves to have. Terry Henderson is coming in with a reputation as a shooter, which is something WVU has been missing for years.

Losing Kevin Jones of course hurts, but as much as I've gone back and forth on what to think of Truck Bryant at this point I believe he's addition by subtraction. He played hard, but didn't play smart and for a guy that had a reputation as a shooter in High School he never shot 40% from the field.

Katz lists a total of 35 teams in that article. I'll be very surprised if WVU isn't one of the top 25 teams next year with a chance to be much better. Then again Murray could get himself in trouble again, Staten could revert to his old ways, and we could have an unexpected loss like Kilicli going back to Turkey or something and the team is an afterthought.

Just saw this and agree with most of it.

I think this past season was the one where we take lumps (and we still comfortably made the NCAA tourney), but that they will pay off next season as long as Murray hangs around. The two transfers will have been practicing within the system for over a year and should know their way around. Plus, the five freshmen (plus Rutledge the Juco) should all be improved. Adding in the two pure shooting freshmen should make this a more complete team.

I think we'll be considerably better next season and should be a top 20 team by the end of the year (provided we don't lose anyone else, which is always a possibility with a Huggins coached team).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #39
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So this time last week every single person with any connection to the Michigan hoops team was certain Burke was going pro. Now there is more optimism he'll be back. Apparently his parents are in agreement he isn't ready to be in the NBA.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #40
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
TCU fills their coaching void by luring LSU's Trent Johnson away from Baton Rouge. That has to be a troubling sign for the SEC.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #41
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

What conference is TCU heading for again?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 AM   #42
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
TCU fills their coaching void by luring LSU's Trent Johnson away from Baton Rouge. That has to be a troubling sign for the SEC.

Trent Johnson is just avoiding the firing line. He did it with Stanford

Last edited by MrBug708 : 04-09-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #43
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Both the men's and women's programs at Baylor are facing possible sanctions for recruiting violations. There has been a lot of smoke around Scott Drew since he got to Baylor.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...ncaa-sanctions
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #44
DeToxRox
Head Coach

The school gas announced Trey Burke is returning to Michigan for his sophmore season.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #45
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Hard to believe the SEC is falling apart so fast.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #46
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Hard to believe the SEC is falling apart so fast.

There has to be some mistake, doesn't he realize he's headed to a mid-major conference?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #47
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
There has to be some mistake, doesn't he realize he's headed to a mid-major conference?

That was before the Big 12 tricked the SEC into taking Missouri. No backsies.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #48
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The school gas announced Trey Burke is returning to Michigan for his sophmore season.

Not surprised to hear this. It will be interesting to see if he tests the waters next year or if he just goes. His biggest drawback, his height, isn't something he can change at this point.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #49
MJ4H
Coordinator

B.J. Young has decided to return to the team for next year. Definitely our most talented offensive player in a number of years, so that should help the rebuilding process take the next step. Big news.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #50
Kodos
Resident Alien

Christian Watford, Cody Zeller will return to IU » Evansville Courier & Press

Cody Zeller and Christian Watford to return for IU.