Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #101
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

ACC NOW UPDATE: NC State's C.J. Leslie to Stay - NC State forward C.J. Leslie will return to school for his junior year of eligibility.

http://bcove.me/zn6637n4
Old 04-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #102
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
My main point is that he is arguing over which season was MU best. I'm sure there are people who care, but we don't care about the argument.

You don't see Duke fans posting in these threads every chance they get to bash North Carolina. You don't see Wisconsin fans posting in these threads every chance they get to bash Michigan. (Who is Wisconsin's biggest rival?).

I think the best thing for me to do is put him on ignore.

Minnesota.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #103
Radii
Head Coach

I'm glad to hear Leslie is staying, even if it means NC State is the favorite in the ACC.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #104
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
My main point is that he is arguing over which season was MU best. I'm sure there are people who care, but we don't care about the argument.

You don't see Duke fans posting in these threads every chance they get to bash North Carolina. You don't see Wisconsin fans posting in these threads every chance they get to bash Michigan. (Who is Wisconsin's biggest rival?).

I think the best thing for me to do is put him on ignore.

As many have stated before, most in this thread love to follow/hear about other programs. If you don't like the topic, change it rather than drag it on with an inflammatory post.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #105
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Yes, most people do like to hear about other programs, especially when it is done in a logical and rational manner. There is a reason you are the most ignored poster on this board.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 04-18-2012 at 03:02 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #106
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
As many have stated before, most in this thread love to follow/hear about other programs. If you don't like the topic, change it rather than drag it on with an inflammatory post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yes, most people do like to hear about other programs, especially when it is done in a logical and rational manner. There is a reason you are the most ignored poster on this board.

Exhibit B on how to keep a MBBF conversation going instead of talking about something else.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #107
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Exhibit B on how to keep a MBBF conversation going instead of talking about something else.

Like referring to yourself in the third person?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #108
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Like referring to yourself in the third person?

MBBF knows basketball.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #109
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
MBBF knows how to annoy the fuck of people. As well as chickens.

FTFY
Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #110
Kodos
Resident Alien

MBBF knows ghosts.

Although that's probably just to drum up business.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #111
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Rivals 150 is out. Check for your school's recruits.......

Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com Ranking - Rivals150 for the class of 2013
Old 04-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #112
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
MBBF knows ghosts.

Although that's probably just to drum up business.

Kodos, I think I remember you being an Indiana fan? Is that correct? Are you hearing anything on the Indiana side about a potential series with Kansas? It was mentioned last week on a Kansas board, but I haven't heard it mentioned anywhere else. Thanks.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #113
tarcone
Coordinator

“The other thing that has to be foremost here is student welfare. It is a free country. Although the conference has an interest in putting sound limitations on it, we should never forget that the welfare of the young people is what this is about.”

Here is the quote from the person representing Wisconsin in the Brust case. Foremost is student welfare. I guess it doesnt mean when a student is wanting to transfer out of Wisconsin. Then student welfare doesnt matter. Bo Ryan should should be concerned with student welfare, shouldnt he?

Last edited by tarcone : 04-18-2012 at 03:55 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #114
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Kodos, I think I remember you being an Indiana fan? Is that correct? Are you hearing anything on the Indiana side about a potential series with Kansas? It was mentioned last week on a Kansas board, but I haven't heard it mentioned anywhere else. Thanks.

Could Kansas replace Kentucky on Indiana’s schedule? | Inside the Hall | Indiana Hoosiers Basketball News, Recruiting and Analysis
Old 04-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #115
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Yes. The rumor is that if Kentucky opts out of continuing our yearly series, IU will add Kansas. There are other rumors that it might be Louisville that we add, but most folks favor Kansas.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #116
tarcone
Coordinator

An article from Yahoo sports on Uthoff and Wisky

hxxp://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--wisconsin-jarrod-uthoff-transfer-trouble-ncaa-hypocrisy.html
Old 04-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #117
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just saw that Mizzou has booked a home-and-home against UCLA. Will play at Pauley this fall with a return trip to Columbia next year.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #118
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Yes. The rumor is that if Kentucky opts out of continuing our yearly series, IU will add Kansas. There are other rumors that it might be Louisville that we add, but most folks favor Kansas.

Would love to see that happen. Love Tom Crean and could definitely see an on-going series with the Hoosiers as a very good thing for college basketball.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #119
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Would love to see that happen. Love Tom Crean and could definitely see an on-going series with the Hoosiers as a very good thing for college basketball.

+1

That'd be fun stuff

Columbia's a little more than halfway between the two. Let's play there since it'll be neutral territory

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-18-2012 at 06:32 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #120
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Just saw that Mizzou has booked a home-and-home against UCLA. Will play at Pauley this fall with a return trip to Columbia next year.

Came to post this. Small chance Missouri could open Pauley Pavilion and while it's not a bad opponent for that, I would assume UCLA would at least try to schedule someone more important historically to UCLA.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #121
tarcone
Coordinator

I hope Tyus Edney isnt at those games.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #122
MrBug708
Head Coach

He's on the bench for UCLA
Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #123
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Came to post this. Small chance Missouri could open Pauley Pavilion and while it's not a bad opponent for that, I would assume UCLA would at least try to schedule someone more important historically to UCLA.

Translation:

Schedule someone else for the home opener. MU is going to kick our ass.

Edit: Saw that a UT game in Reliant Stadium has also been scheduled.

http://losangeles.sbnation.com/ucla-...issouri-tigers

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-18-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #124
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Tarcone, Jarrod Uthoff, Wisconsin Badgers at odds over potential transfer - ESPN

How do you feel about Uthoff's situation now? Naive kid. Hasn't even talked to Bo about the situation yet. Lied about dropping off the papers himself to Bo; instead a 'friend' supposedly did.

I'll give Bo the benefit of the doubt at the moment. As I mentioned, Uthoff seems to be listening to his AAU handler way too much and seems a bit lost in this situation. Funny how every media person was bagging on Bo right away when nothing was really truly known. Hearsay.

Finally it sounds like they'll sit down tomorrow and discuss this out man-to-boy.

I'll stand by Bo on his restrictions to the B10, Marquette and ISU; but the ACC seems a bit of a stretch.

Last edited by mauchow : 04-18-2012 at 10:06 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:04 PM   #125
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Translation:

Schedule someone else for the home opener. MU is going to kick our ass.

Edit: Saw that a UT game in Reliant Stadium has also been scheduled.

UCLA Basketball Schedule: Texas In Reliant Stadium, Missouri In Pauley - SB Nation Los Angeles

How in the world did you get that from what I wrote?

Do you honestly think for the opening of Pauley, that Missouri is a relevant historical connection?

UCLA will either go for bad local team or one that means something to UCLA and their tradition. Missouri meets neither of those requirements

Purdue makes a lot of sense for the Wooden connections. Ohio State opened Pauley initially. Louisville as well. Or you could go with Duke, Dayton, Michigan, North Carolina, Jacksonville, Villanova, Florida State, Kentucky, and even Arkansas

Last edited by MrBug708 : 04-19-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #126
tarcone
Coordinator

Mauboy
I dont know. It seems hypocritical for Ryan to pull this. Iowa State? Because they are on the schedule? He is denying a student the ability to receive a scholarship from a home state school because they play them?
We dont know the ins and outs. And we know how sleazy coaches are in general. Who is telling the truth? Either of them? Neither of them?
I keep going back to this quote: “The other thing that has to be foremost here is student welfare. It is a free country. Although the conference has an interest in putting sound limitations on it, we should never forget that the welfare of the young people is what this is about.”
Ryan is showing his a** in this one. Maybe Uthoff is naive, but he is 19. Maybe he hasnt handled it very well. But, as you said, he is a boy. And he is dealing with a man that has his million dollar job on the line based on wins and losses.
Ryan will come out of this looking bad. As he should. He is showing he cares nothing about his players. Florida? Because they play a home and home with them? Come on.
Wisconsin will lose this even if they win. Its a no win and Ryan using the line. "There are rules of a scholarship. I dont make them up." is weak.

I hope Uthoff tells Ryan to f off, and pays his own way for a year and then makes Ryan pay when he plays Wisky.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #127
Kodos
Resident Alien

My wife went to Kansas, so I'm all for Kansas-IU too.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #128
MrBug708
Head Coach

Mike Golic: You started the process by blocking him from all these schools. For whatever reason, he doesn't want to go (to Wisconsin) anymore. People are thinking because you blocked him from so many schools, it's a vindictive thing on your part. Why is it so hard for a coach to say, 'You know, it isn't working out here, you go where you want to play.'

Ryan: You play, you're an athlete, you practice every day. Your players, your coaches work with someone in good faith. You're in the trenches and you're going to say, without any conversation, any time someone wants to leave a job, you have in your contract – a penalty if you leave your job.

Mike Greenberg: Yeah. there's a penalty because you get paid.

Ryan: I understand this is a scholarship. When they sign the scholarship there is fine print that is very readable. If you played, you would at least understand what I'm talking about. ... Years and decades of coaches have done the same thing way before me and you're not going after them.

Golic: It's also interesting the basketball and football coaches can sign a seven-year extension and then the next year leave for one of those schools you blocked the kid from going to

Ryan: I know that's the easy way to go. Here's the thing, I didn't create the market.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #129
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ryan buried himself
Old 04-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #130
Passacaglia
Coordinator

All I know about this is what I've read in the thread, but why would you want a guy on your team who wants out so publicly at this point, anyway? Especially at a school like Wisconsin which from what I understand is about team play and not really having any stars?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #131
Logan
Head Coach

I think these coaches would end up looking better if they just said "Yeah I'm doing this, I have my reasons, and I don't care what you think of it."

The rationalizing and trying to justify is always what makes it worse.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #132
Logan
Head Coach

Why is Ryan's entire defense sound like his stance is that NO transfers should be allowed (the whole "you work with the kid, he's part of the team, in the trenches, etc"), not that he should have the ability to restrict certain destinations?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #133
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Tarcone, Jarrod Uthoff, Wisconsin Badgers at odds over potential transfer - ESPN

How do you feel about Uthoff's situation now? Naive kid. Hasn't even talked to Bo about the situation yet. Lied about dropping off the papers himself to Bo; instead a 'friend' supposedly did.

I'll give Bo the benefit of the doubt at the moment. As I mentioned, Uthoff seems to be listening to his AAU handler way too much and seems a bit lost in this situation. Funny how every media person was bagging on Bo right away when nothing was really truly known. Hearsay.

Finally it sounds like they'll sit down tomorrow and discuss this out man-to-boy.

I'll stand by Bo on his restrictions to the B10, Marquette and ISU; but the ACC seems a bit of a stretch.

Who cares what the motives of the kid are? Okay, so the kid is being a dick. That doesn't mean Ryan has to go 5th grade on him and treat him this way. He should be the bigger man and let the kid go where he wants.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #134
wade moore
lolzcat

Yeah, this seems to be a bit of a PR disaster - regardless of what is "right or wrong".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #135
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Speaking of B10 transfers, anyone know much about Jordan Sibert? Mizzou and Arizona are considering him. Doesn't look like he's produced thus far at OSU, but was a top 50 recruit out of HS.

Jordan Sibert - Yahoo! Sports
Old 04-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #136
spleen1015
Coordinator

Looks like all restrictions on Uthoff have been lifted except B1G schools.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #137
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Speaking of B10 transfers, anyone know much about Jordan Sibert? Mizzou and Arizona are considering him. Doesn't look like he's produced thus far at OSU, but was a top 50 recruit out of HS.

Jordan Sibert - Yahoo! Sports

He had a knee surgery in High School that changed his athleticism quite a bit. He had the reputation as a defensive stopper and a good outside shooter but he also played on loaded AAU teams (with Sullinger, Burke, etc.) and was overrated.

He hasn't shown a lot but he had a couple of decent shooting games against the zone - maybe Northwestern but I don't remember for sure. He started out as the 6th man this year and was passed by a younger player, Sam Thompson, who is a much better defender and an unreal athlete.

I'd be very surprised if he didn't end up at Dayton.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #138
tarcone
Coordinator

Bo Ryan took a beating on this. As did Wisky. The way he played would be labeled poorly. And his reputation has suffered.
It looks like Iowa State will be the landing spot for Uthoff. Unless he really wants to play for another B1G school. Then he still has to go through an appeal process to get a scholly or go to a school and pay his way for the season he has to sit out.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #139
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I foresee a Wisconsin 12/5 11/6 match up with wherever Uthoff lands. Creighton/isu
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #140
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Who cares what the motives of the kid are? Okay, so the kid is being a dick. That doesn't mean Ryan has to go 5th grade on him and treat him this way. He should be the bigger man and let the kid go where he wants.

Example #8455739458 of how college athletics shits on kids for business reasons. Bo Ryan is pathetic.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #141
DeToxRox
Head Coach

One of the national writers brought Beilein into the transfer issue today because of the three we had this year. His rule is pretty straight forward; no Big Ten schools and no schools already scheduled within the next two years. Even Smotrycz was allowed to go to Maryland with no fuss despite the fact we could meet Maryland in two years in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.

I think that is a fair ruling on his part.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #142
RainMaker
General Manager

Why not let them go where they want to go? Why limit a young adult's options?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #143
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Have not heard much about this yet, but could change some things in regards to qualifying for college. Academic redshirts is the topic.......

Panther-lair.com - NCAA redefines eligibility
Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #144
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Have not heard much about this yet, but could change some things in regards to qualifying for college. Academic redshirts is the topic.......

Panther-lair.com - NCAA redefines eligibility

Does an academic redshirt then count as the redshirt being used? Or could a player have an academic redshirt, then a normal redshirt I wonder?

Ultimately, though, I suspect this is going to end up in high school teachers being pressured more and more to give athletes better grades to keep them college-eligible.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #145
cartman
Death Herald

College Basketball should take the approach of College Baseball. If you don't go pro out of high school, you spend at least 3 years in college. They would have to get the NBA on board as well, but it seems to work pretty well for baseball.

Last edited by cartman : 04-20-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #146
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
College Basketball should take the approach of College Baseball. If you don't go pro out of high school, you spend at least 3 years in college. They would have to get the NBA on board as well, but it seems to work pretty well for baseball.

This would do a lot to improve the college game, IMO. Although what would happen under this system, if say, a kid declared for the draft out of high school and didn't get picked? If he entered a college then, would he be subject to the three years and be eligible to re-enter the draft after that?

Or let's say it's too late for him to catch on with a school at that point and he becomes a part of the next year's recruiting class. Does he still need to be three years or is it two given that it's already been one year since he's been in high school?

Do junior colleges count towards the two years in college requirement?

Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #147
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think the NBA should adopt the same rules as the NFL. You have to be a junior to enter the draft. I don't like the baseball example because the entire development system for the players is different. A basketball player drafted out of HS doesn't have a minor league system to develop in. I don't think you can count the NBDL.

Until the NBA feels like drafting 1 year players impacts the quality of their game, I don't see this changing.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #148
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm pretty sure there has been talk of changing it to at least 2 years if not three but they can't do anything until a new deal comes up.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #149
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
This would do a lot to improve the college game, IMO. Although what would happen under this system, if say, a kid declared for the draft out of high school and didn't get picked? If he entered a college then, would he be subject to the three years and be eligible to re-enter the draft after that?

Or let's say it's too late for him to catch on with a school at that point and he becomes a part of the next year's recruiting class. Does he still need to be three years or is it two given that it's already been one year since he's been in high school?

Do junior colleges count towards the two years in college requirement?

Here's a link to the MLB page explaining who is eligible to be drafted:
First-Year Player Draft Rules | MLB.com: Events

The three basic eligibility groups are:
  • High school players, if they have graduated from high school and have not yet attended college or junior college;
  • College players, from four-year colleges who have either completed their junior or senior years or are at least 21 years old; and
  • Junior college players, regardless of how many years of school they have completed

It was 20 years ago when I dealt with it, but from what I remember, you didn't lose your college eligibility until you signed a contract. Just the act of being drafted didn't preclude you from still playing college ball.

Last edited by cartman : 04-20-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #150
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
I think the NBA should adopt the same rules as the NFL. You have to be a junior to enter the draft. I don't like the baseball example because the entire development system for the players is different. A basketball player drafted out of HS doesn't have a minor league system to develop in. I don't think you can count the NBDL.

Until the NBA feels like drafting 1 year players impacts the quality of their game, I don't see this changing.

Actually, isn't the NFL just three years out of high school, not necessarily junior status?

Agreed that baseball isn't a good parallel to basketball. Not least because baseball has so many rounds in the draft, compared to basketball, which has just 2.

I wonder if you'd see more American players going to Europe after high school if the three years of college or 3 years of college + declaring out of high school rule were adopted.