FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #402
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
holy fudge! Jozy with a goal the likes ive never seen from an American

Well, you're not going to see it this week in qualifiers as Jozy was left off the team.

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Tim Howard (Everton, England), Nick Rimando (Salt Lake).

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander, Spain), Geoff Cameron (Stoke, England), Edgar Castillo (Tijuana, Mexico), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Maurice Edu (Stoke, England), Clarence Goodson (Brondby, Denmark), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim, Germany), Michael Parkhurst (Nordsjaelland, Denmark).

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Roma, Italy), Joe Corona (Tijuana, Mexico), Jermaine Jones (Schalke, Germany), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht, Belgium), Brek Shea (Dallas), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim, Germany), Graham Zusi (Kansas City).

Forwards: Clint Dempsey (Tottenham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Herculez Gomez (Santos Laguna, Mexico), Alan Gordon (San Jose), Eddie Johnson (Seattle).
Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #403
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Interesting question spurred by a comment when I posted that Messi story on my brother's FB wall yesterday.

If you had to start a dream team of players from the "modern era" (leaving that vague as the commenter did), would Messi be your #1 choice or not?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #404
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post

Saw this outside of this thread, but yes...outstanding story.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #405
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Interesting question spurred by a comment when I posted that Messi story on my brother's FB wall yesterday.

If you had to start a dream team of players from the "modern era" (leaving that vague as the commenter did), would Messi be your #1 choice or not?

It all depends on when we consider the modern era to have begun, but probably, yes.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
Old 10-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #406
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

If the "modern era" goes back includes the late 70s/80s, I'd go for Maradona. If not, then Messi.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #407
Easy Mac

I was hoping this Kyle Beckermann thing was over, but Klinsy keeps bringing him back.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #408
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
If the "modern era" goes back includes the late 70s/80s, I'd go for Maradona. If not, then Messi.

See...I'm not sure I'm entirely sold. Messi is an amazing individual talent, but there have always been amazing individual talents. Messi makes his teammates better by occupying defenders attention, but I might go with a more traditional #10 who could better unlock defenses rather than an individual talent.

Then again maybe we're just spoiled by seeing Messi on Barca where he doesn't have to do more than what he does. Maybe he'd be every bit as amazing a defense-unlocker with his passing as a Xavi or a Zidane if he was forced to play that role.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #409
RainMaker
General Manager

So I thought Klinsmann said club form would matter a lot. Altidore and Boyd have been great but are left off the squad.

Seems like some odd choices. Still feel he should be fired if he can't get them to the hex.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #410
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
So I thought Klinsmann said club form would matter a lot. Altidore and Boyd have been great but are left off the squad.

Seems like some odd choices. Still feel he should be fired if he can't get them to the hex.

Strongly feel there has to be something going on behind the scenes with Altidore. Either the players don't like him, he doesn't work at all, etc.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #411
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Yeah. He's the best player I've seen since I began watching soccer.

As for how far back the modern era really goes, I'm not sure.

Since the Bosman ruling (1995)? Since the last huge rule change (like football allowing forward passes or baseball getting rid of the dead ball), that of the offside rule in the 1920s?

Regardless, I'm willing to take the best of the best within the last 15 years against anyone before him, just as I would in most other sports that come to mind. Messi, Bonds, Woods, Jordan, Federer, etc.

Most sports are progressing over time, the competition is harder today, in general players are faster and fitter these days. Laver vs. Federer, Messi vs. Maradona or Pele, Bonds vs. Ruth, whatever, I would pick the modern player and take my chances in any of these situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Klinsmann
"I communicated with Jozy that I was not happy about his latest performances with us, maybe even over the last 14 months," Klinsmann told media on Monday during a conference call to discuss the U.S. roster. "I think Jozy can do much, much better and the reason he is not coming in is mainly because of the performances in Jamaica and at home, also in training, also certain things that went on through the May-June camp."

Ok. I can understand that even if I don't like it.

But we better not miss out on the hex because Alan Gordon did nothing when we needed a goal...
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #412
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
We look really weak in the midfield. A couple of those guys are going to have to step it up and make names for themselves if we are going to make it out of the group stage in Rio.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #413
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
We look really weak in the midfield. A couple of those guys are going to have to step it up and make names for themselves if we are going to make it out of the group stage in Rio.

Heck we need to get to Rio first which doesn't seem like an absolute lock at the moment.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #414
whomario
Pro Starter

soccer changes so much all the time, no need to look for rule changes there. It´s hard to compare even without theese. I recently rewatched the ´96 Euro championship final (Germany-Czech) and it really is like night and day compared to games today. And it wasn´t long after things changed massively, so i´d say the cutoff would be anywhere between 97 and 2000 as that´s the time that the 4 man defense really took off internationally, the beginnings of 1 striker systems were developed (for attacking football) and the emphasis on deep lying midfield playmakers started imo.

But it also depends on types of players, certain positions underwent a bigger overhaul than others (f.e. DMs, CBs changed a ton while WBs didn´t, only they were midfielders in 5-3-2 before and outside defenders in 4-5-1 now) and other positions are basically brand new or equipped with vastly different types of players (like the attacking midfielders on the outside)

The german team actually is the perfect example, being lauded as the team tactically in 96 with Matthias Sammer as the culmination of the Libero/Sweeper era whio had one of the single most dominant tournament performances ever there.
Then, only 2/4 years later there style of play was outdated and inefficient and you´d be hard pressed to make a case for any of the german players from 96 having an impact in 2006 if they played the same role.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #415
Grover
Pro Starter

One player I would consider taking first, even ahead of Messi and laugh if you want, is Claude Makelele. re defined the anchor man role and revolutionized it.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
Old 10-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #416
Katon
College Benchwarmer

I wouldn't take Makelele, and that's speaking as a Chelsea fan - he's probably the best midfielder you could get as a purely defensive player, but if you have access to anyone from the modern era then you should be able to find people who contribute 90% as much on the defensive end while also being useful going forward. Roy Keane in his prime springs to mind.

What I'd like to know before making my #1 pick for a dream team is how peak form is being weighted against longevity. I'm think of the Brazilian Ronaldo here. At his peak he was almost as freakishly unplayable as Messi, across multiple teams (and, I'd guess, playing styles) and without as many all-time-great teammates. That version I'd take #1 just because I don't need to worry as much about what formation to throw him in. The post-injury version was still pretty damn good, but not to the extent that he has any business in this conversation.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #417
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
I wouldn't take Makelele, and that's speaking as a Chelsea fan - he's probably the best midfielder you could get as a purely defensive player, but if you have access to anyone from the modern era then you should be able to find people who contribute 90% as much on the defensive end while also being useful going forward. Roy Keane in his prime springs to mind.

What I'd like to know before making my #1 pick for a dream team is how peak form is being weighted against longevity. I'm think of the Brazilian Ronaldo here. At his peak he was almost as freakishly unplayable as Messi, across multiple teams (and, I'd guess, playing styles) and without as many all-time-great teammates. That version I'd take #1 just because I don't need to worry as much about what formation to throw him in. The post-injury version was still pretty damn good, but not to the extent that he has any business in this conversation.

Yes. Brazilian Ronaldo, Zidane, maybe even Zlatan (physical size plus skill), maybe a Buffon or Schmichael for a keeper where the ones I was thinking of. There's probably a DM one could throw in there though.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-09-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:39 PM   #418
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post

Viera was immense in his prime in a similar way to Keane, fantastic leader and also very solid in the tackle ... I think he had a little more to his technical game than Keane with a little less aggression.

PS - With regards to soccer rule changes, often the rules don't 'change' but how they're applied changes things hugely - if you look at the biggest change in formation/tactics from 1980's to today they're at least partially biased by how non-physical the game is today in contrast to back then.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #419
bhlloy
Coordinator

My first thought if we are taking a player at peak was also Fat Ronaldo - I've never seen a player run through defenses and score for fun like he could do at his peak. An absolutely complete striker, shame he got hurt so early and often.

Im biased, but If you tell me I'm picking a player to play for me for the next ten years I might start with Giggs
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #420
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Donovan and Shea are out for the two qualifiers. It leaves us kind of thin in the attacking positions.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #421
RainMaker
General Manager

Why did JK put them on the squad if they aren't going to play? The Guatemala game is pretty big. Not necessarily a must-win, but they definitely need a point out of it.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #422
Easy Mac

Awesome job Liverpool.

duncan jenkins's blog: Such a Little Thing Makes Such a Big Difference
Old 10-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #423
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

There's not much anyone working for that club could do that would surprise me anymore.

<--- such a menace to LFC, probably could have afforded Dempsey without him jacking up the Borini fee :****(
Old 10-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #424
whomario
Pro Starter

no real shockers in the WC qualifiers today, biggest result propably Russia beating Portugal

Faroe Islands come close against Sweden, 1:2 loss after a 1:0 lead.

Germany with a slow start (but without being in any danger at all), then turn up the speed to score 5 goals between the 30th and 60th, beating the Irish in Dublin 6-1 in the end.
Now the swedes to beat on Tuesday and that´d allready be a big step.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #425
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Hopefully these qualifiers are still free of shocks around three and a half hours from now.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #426
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

eddie johnson scored 20 min in
'
us leads 1-0
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #427
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Eddie Johnson with a header to put the US up 1-0 over A&B
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #428
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

A&B with the equalizer at the 25' mark
Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #429
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

A quick equalizer for A&B, poor stuff from the central defenders as the attacker blew past Cameron and then Goodson slipped leaving a tap in for Blackstock. Come on guys.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #430
MrBug708
Head Coach

Honestly, that celebration was waaaaaaaaaay excessive.

The pitch raped Goodson
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #431
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Bradley's been close with a few long range efforts. Some decent quick passing in midfield in the last few minutes.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #432
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

1-1. if they dont win this they should miss the wc. very frustrating
Old 10-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #433
RainMaker
General Manager

The Klinsmann Era: Where the U.S. struggles against minnows.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #434
kingfc22
Head Coach

Pitiful.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 PM   #435
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Watching a beIN Sport USA stream. They even have the handball Champions League. Come on Time Warner, I need this shit.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #436
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Gomez with a genuinely terrible first touch there. Should have had a 1v1 on the keeper. Here comes another two minutes of time wasting after the collision.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #437
RainMaker
General Manager

One fucking shot on goal. Unreal.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #438
RainMaker
General Manager

And now they lose Jones for the Guatemala game. Klinsmann is feeling like a plant.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #439
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

This has been another awful offensive performance so far, there's no sugarcoating it.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #440
kingfc22
Head Coach

They might only play 10 minutes of actual soccer this half at this rate of stalling
Old 10-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #441
RainMaker
General Manager

Leaving Altidore off looks real bad considering how horrendous Gomez has been.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #442
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Zusi's crosses have been so bad (missing our guys by 10-20 yards) other than that really good one Johnson scored off of.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #443
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
WOW! Clutch goal right at 90:00 by EJ
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 10-12-2012 at 07:51 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #444
kingfc22
Head Coach

Wow. US will likely escape
Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #445
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

OMFG

Horrible all night, but they get one in the end...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #446
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Johnson!!! i own him a fucking BJ!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #447
Easy Mac

Johnson just saved Klinsmann's job
Old 10-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #448
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

seriously this team is not looking very good. our offense cant seem to get many shots on goal
Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #449
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Klinsmann has brought German efficiency to the national team, play like crap but get a few headed goals from some tall striker or off a set piece.

Seriously though, that was really bad for most of the game.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #450
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Leaving Altidore off looks real bad considering how horrendous Gomez has been.
Albeit in great from lately, Altidore lost his temper last weekend and got sent off in a crucial league game (although the referee was nitpicking with back-to-back bookings for the same thing), so it could be a disciplinary reason.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote