Celtics vs Thunder 2 4.26%
Celtics vs Spurs 0 0%
Comedy Pacers vs Grizzlies option(Stern says no) 3 6.38%
Other(please list) 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 AM   #351
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Pelicans? Not a fan...I tend to prefer team names to sounds a bit more fierce.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:57 AM   #352
Groundhog
Coordinator

Has to be the most ridiculous team name since......... ever?
Old 12-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #353
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

In a league with the Washington Bullets/Wizards, Denver Nuggets, Seattle Supersonics/Oklahoma City Thunder (tho I kindof like "Thunder" but I know there are a lot who don't), Brooklyn Nets, Los Angeles Lakers, and Utah Jazz - I just don't have a high standard for team names.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #354
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I have no idea how significant SI's Sportsman of the Year is among sports fans today, but the idea of Lebron James winning this sort of award seems stunning to me given the popular opinion two years ago.

LeBron James: 2012 Sports Illustrated Sportsman of the Year - Sportsman of the Year - SI.com

Success rules all.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #355
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Has to be the most ridiculous team name since......... ever?

Mighty Ducks?
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #356
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Mighty Ducks?
oh dear. +1

the nba needs nickname realignment. there's 7 or 8 teams with names that don't match the cities.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #357
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Pelicans isn't that bad. I mean, you all are just used to hearing Hornets.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #358
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

And the Lakers... still suck.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #359
korme
Go Reds

Team names are what they are. Exactly, the Lakers were named after a body of water in Minneapolis. Who cares? It loses the association of that image after awhile and the Lakers are the Lakers. Pelicans will be fine.

LA Dodgers still named after the trolleys in Brooklyn. Whatever.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:52 PM   #360
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

This is the first time a nickname would return to the city where it originated though. (Based on what MJ said AND given the fact he wanted ownership in the Hornets but Shinn wouldn't give him control on basketball decisions, it failed to work out...it seems likely the name switch will happen.)

You have the Browns situation and you have the Nationals/Senators deal or even the Colorado Rockies (which this is most likely) where a local nicknames changes sports (minor league beisbol to NBA in this case) but...this will be the first time, a nickname gets returned from another city back to its original home.

The Hornets never won any division titles in Charlotte though (just playoff appearances) so at least there's no banners to put up, outside of any jerseys they might want to retire.

So it's a good fit. And the Charlotte Hornets were an old minor league baseball team too. So even more fitting, given the new New Orleans name.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #361
LloydLungs
College Prospect

As a lifetime New Orleanian, I love Pelicans. Yeah it's kind of silly but it's steeped in tradition locally. Our minor league baseball team dating back to 1887 through 1959 was named the Pelicans (Shoeless Joe won a batting title as a Pelican in 1910). My dad can still name every player on the '58 Pelicans and he regales me with tales of Pelican Park, so I want my own Pelicans to root for. I'm stoked, though really I'm probably more stoked that ESPN/national media would stop referring to the team as Charlotte (which they still do constantly). A rebranding was desperately needed. Still unofficial though, I'm hoping it goes through.

Objectively, I submit that "Saints" is dumber than "Pelicans," but people are used to it and the uniforms are pretty kickass, etc.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #362
whomario
Pro Starter

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 12-05-2012 at 03:56 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #363
rjolley
College Starter

Ok, part of that has to be reputation. I think I've heard players shout that after a free throw is missed after a questionable foul call. Don't remember a tech for it.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #364
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Ok, part of that has to be reputation. I think I've heard players shout that after a free throw is missed after a questionable foul call. Don't remember a tech for it.

This is not Rasheed's first time with the "Ball Don't Lie" comment this season. I am going to guess he or the Knicks were warned about this.

That being said, I would say this is about 95% about reputation.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #365
RainMaker
General Manager

Isn't it funny how no stars have been fined yet for flopping? What a shocker!
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #366
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

Both technicals were BS. Scola went back up for the shot after the foul and the second T was the ref being a cocksmack.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #367
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Another very strong game for the Clips last night. They are playing very well right now, and are starting a 10-11 game stretch against teams at or under .500 after playing one of the NBA's tougher schedules in the early going as measured through win-loss record (it should be noted, though, that many of those games were at Staples Center, so mitigating factor...).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-06-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #368
whomario
Pro Starter

Thunder looking really good so far offensively. Ibaka has improved a lot there, some of the shots he´s making now he wouldn´t have thought of attempting 2 years ago. Still can´t pass worth a lick, but is expanding his range and using his athleticism very well.
Durant is playing a monster season as well and his passing improves by the minute it seems.

Just a couple random stats : Tyson Chandler is posting insane shooting efficiency numbers.
Currently at 72% from the field (2nd best is deandre jordan at about 60) and a True shooting percentage of .753 (he set an nba record mark 0f .708 last season)
His last 9 games he went 51/62 from the field (82%)

He´ll almost certainly post his 3rd straight season of 65% shooting and 10+ ppg and become the first guy ever to post 3 seasons shooting 65%+ from the field (ok, wilt missed his 3rd by .01% ) .

He´s also currently having an offensive rating of 149 which is more than 20 higher than No2 and would be a clear all time best.

Spurs continue to look good, even with Manu struggling with his shot. He´s still posting an NBA best +16 per 48 when he´s on the court.

Lakers meanwhile are -15 with Kobe on the bench, the Blazers -20 (!) when Matthews isn´t on the court.

Oposing PGs meanwhile produce a PER of 25 when Luke Ridnour is on the court for the Wolves (to put it into perspective, only 1 PG in Paul has a higher PER this season)

and one last fun (but meaningless) one : Steve Novak has gone 325 minutes without a turnover. I know he never passes or dribles, but it´s still kinda remarkeable.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #369
whomario
Pro Starter

speaking of weird but interesting stats : How Kobe Bryant's missed shots translate into a new NBA statistic, 'The Kobe Assist' - Grantland
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #370
bhlloy
Coordinator

Very interesting article, although I think he misses a very simple contributing factor. Kobe, Melo, D-Rose (and Waiters) are all athletic players excellent at creating their own shot and making defenses scramble around, which naturally leads to more offensive rebound opportunities. Compared to Elton Brand and Kevin Love who are good stand still knock down guys it seems like a pretty obvious thing to mention
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #371
whomario
Pro Starter

definitely, that´s the first thing that came to mind as well when i thought about the concept here.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #372
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Isn't it funny how no stars have been fined yet for flopping? What a shocker!

I know. Wade never flops.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #373
stevew
Hall Of Famer

sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/ian_thomsen/12/06/sixth-man-nba-cba-nicolas-batum/index.html

Awesome article about the repeater tax.

Last edited by stevew : 12-06-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #374
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Losing to the Cavs should get D'Antoni fired. Lol.

And the Bobcraps are in an 8 game slide with no end in sight.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #375
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am pretty sick of all the Laker talk on local radio. I had thought it unbearable when they were winning. It turns out I knew nothing about unbearable.

One local station is pretty much unlistenable to, the local Lakers station 710 KSPN. When they're not crying about the Lakers, they're whining about USC (which is also on that station).

Note to local talk stations: there's a first place basketball team in your city. You might want to start to notice.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #376
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Sparks never get enough coverage
Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #377
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The Sparks never get enough coverage

Not on radio, but they'll get TV coverage. They're on the new Laker channel with the Lakers (duh) and the Galaxy, and there is only so many times you can keep replaying the Laker Girls tryouts. Well, actually, there is absolutely no limit to that, but at some point out, some network executive will point they should vary up the programming a bit.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-12-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #378
Subby
lolzcat

Fucking Wizards. THIS is why you don't take on albatross contracts like Okafor's. Could have traded for Harden but the luxury tax concerns made Ted nix the deal.

Washington Wizards said to have turned down trade for James Harden - The Washington Post
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #379
Subby
lolzcat

The Wizards are the worst franchise in professional sports. BAR. FUCKING. NONE.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #380
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Harden was far from a sure-thing max deal guy before the season. I don't think it's fair to kill the Wiz for not making that trade, they would have had to give up their #3 overall pick.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 12-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #381
Logan
Head Coach

He was the most sure-thing max deal guy that Washington would have the opportunity to acquire in the near future though.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #382
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
He was the most sure-thing max deal guy that Washington would have the opportunity to acquire in the near future though.

But what if he doesn't pan out as the #1 option? That was certainly a possibility, and then we are all making fun of Washington for max-ing out a 6th man.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #383
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
But what if he doesn't pan out as the #1 option? That was certainly a possibility, and then we are all making fun of Washington for max-ing out a 6th man.

But his floor even then was nowhere near that of a traditional 6th man. Maybe he doesn't end up being a true #1, what if he's a great #2? The way the salary structure works in the NBA, you have so many players who aren't that far away from max dollars. Harden seems like a much, much better player than some of those names. If his true value is only $12 million instead of $16 million, that's a pretty solid gamble when you factor in the likelihood of his true value being $20 million instead of $16 million. If he is a true #1, $16 million is an absolute bargain in this league and those guys don't fall into the lap of your franchise.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #384
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Harden was far from a sure-thing max deal guy before the season. I don't think it's fair to kill the Wiz for not making that trade, they would have had to give up their #3 overall pick.

I don't think Beal was ever considered to be better than Hardin. The #3 last year was in a weak draft.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #385
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

On the Wiz he would immediately start and be the primary scoring option. They don't have anything remotely comparable to him.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #386
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'll take everyone's word for it, but it just feels like this discussion wouldn't have been so cut-and-dry if we were having it on September 12th.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #387
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

As a Rockets fan, I'm happy how it went down

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #388
kingfc22
Head Coach

Warriors are 0.9 seconds from starting this 7 game road trip with 5 straight wins.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #389
Groundhog
Coordinator

Warriors are a very enjoyable team to watch this year. Jackson has done a great job.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #390
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

This is nuts. Hard to believe they can do this WITHOUT Bogut.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #391
whomario
Pro Starter

Rubio is expected to play Saturday against Dallas !!

GS and Atlanta propably the 2 surprise teams in their conference.

Last edited by whomario : 12-13-2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #392
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Clips win two road games to start their trip.

Whoda thunk at any point that the Clips and Warriors would be the best two teams in the Pacific Division?

Old 12-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #393
miami_fan
Coordinator

ESPN columnist John Hollinger will join Memphis Grizzlies' front office - ESPN

Quote:
John Hollinger, a fixture of ESPN.com's coverage of the NBA for the past eight seasons and one of the leaders in basketball's rising statistical analysis movement in the past decade, is leaving his role as a columnist to become the vice president of basketball operations for the Memphis Grizzlies.

Best known for hatching the formula behind every player's Player Efficiency Rating (PER) -- which attempts to quantify player performance through the use of an all-in-one rating -- Hollinger will begin work as a senior executive in the Grizzlies' basketball department next week.

"It's incredibly difficult to leave ESPN, but the chance to work for an NBA team and the Grizzlies' new ownership was an irresistible opportunity," Hollinger said Thursday.

Hollinger was recruited to the Grizzlies by new controlling owner Robert Pera and CEO/managing partner Jason Levien, who have made upgrading Memphis' analytics department one of their front-office priorities. The Grizzlies also hired Stu Lash on Thursday as their director of player personnel and basketball development.

"We are thrilled to have John and Stu join the Grizzlies," Levien said in a release. "Both of these individuals will provide innovative and unique perspectives that bolster the organization's future."

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that the move won't change the status of Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace but added that Hollinger will be a "prominent voice in the team's front office beyond providing statistical analysis."

Hollinger, 41, founded the website "Alleyoop" in 1996 to launch his online career as a basketball sabermetrician and authored a series of books originally known as the "Pro Basketball Prospectus" and later titled "Pro Basketball Forecast."

He went on to work for The Oregonian newspaper's online site (OregonLive.com) and served as the NBA editor of Sports Illustrated's online site (SI.com) before joining ESPN.com in February 2005.

"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #394
korme
Go Reds

Selfishly bummed out because not only do I find Hollinger's stuff fascinating, I also think he's brought sabermetrics in basketball a long way.

Happy for him though, that's a dream.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #395
RainMaker
General Manager

Who on ESPN will tell us that Denver will win the West every year?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #396
whomario
Pro Starter

Twolves now 11-9 even with a million smaller injuries, Budinger out for the season and Kevin Love first being out and then buidling a couple houses on his bricks. And without Rubio, which should change tonight as he´s been cleared to play. And yeah, i realize it´s a 2 year injury and all, but i´ll gladly take 75% of Rubio (plus, maybe he shared a trainer with AP )
Him and Kirilenko (who is having an absolutely amazing season on both ends) could drive other team insane on both ends.

Last edited by whomario : 12-15-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #397
Icy
Pro Starter

Rubio already making a big comeback with his flashy plays tonight.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #398
whomario
Pro Starter

Rubio had like half a dozen holy shit passes in his very first stint after injury.

One of them:

who even thinks of such a pass ? And again, it creates the angle he needs to get it where it ends up.

Last edited by whomario : 12-15-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:39 PM   #399
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I am pissed that Rubio is play because I have him on my IR for fantasy basketball
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #400
whomario
Pro Starter

Blazers rookie Lillard with the game winner, kid has been amazing so far. Playing like a 5 year veteran despite coming from a small school (and thus less high quality competition), very impressive stuff.

Also Batum with a 5X5 game (5 or more points, rebounds, assists, blocks and steals), 15th such game since all those stats get recorded.

Portland now at 12-13, very respectable considering their rotation includes Luke Babbit, Ronnie Price and Sasha Pavlovic

For the Hornets, Vazquez has been fun to watch and Anderson proves that he can shoot the lights out even without acres of free space. Currently on pace to hit a record 287 3s and shooting 44%.

Either New Orleans gets better or he´ll be a terrific trade chip in a year or 2.