Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #451
Logan
Head Coach

Browns hire Mike Lombardi as their GM...devastating news for any frequent BS Report listeners.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #452
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And Trestman's first major act as head coach of the Bears is to go empty cupboard on his entire staff. Looks like the DB coach is the lone survivor of the purge.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #453
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Browns hire Mike Lombardi as their GM...devastating news for any frequent BS Report listeners.

I foresee another decade of futility in both Cleveland and Arizona.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #454
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

He might have been dumbing it down a bit for the general audience, but Lombardi's BS Reports did not leave me with the impression that he will be a good GM.

He filled his discussion with lots of cliches and obvious points: "Well, what you need is a quarterback who can make all the throws and not turn the ball over." "You need to keep your defense from playing too many snaps, or then they will get tired, and that's what we saw last week."

I wish the guy well because I've spent a lot of Tuesday mornings in the car listening to him and Simmons, and because God knows that Cleveland fans deserve to root for a winner. I'm just not sure if I see it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #455
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
He might have been dumbing it down a bit for the general audience, but Lombardi's BS Reports did not leave me with the impression that he will be a good GM.

He filled his discussion with lots of cliches and obvious points: "Well, what you need is a quarterback who can make all the throws and not turn the ball over." "You need to keep your defense from playing too many snaps, or then they will get tired, and that's what we saw last week."

I wish the guy well because I've spent a lot of Tuesday mornings in the car listening to him and Simmons, and because God knows that Cleveland fans deserve to root for a winner. I'm just not sure if I see it.

Fair points, but you have to remember he's talking to Simmons who's the king of cliches, obvious points, and broad generalizations. There's a lot of times when you listen to them talk, and you can tell that while Lombardi likes Simmons a lot personally, he is just sort of humoring him with a lot of the discussion.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #456
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Fair points, but you have to remember he's talking to Simmons who's the king of cliches, obvious points, and broad generalizations. There's a lot of times when you listen to them talk, and you can tell that while Lombardi likes Simmons a lot personally, he is just sort of humoring him with a lot of the discussion.

Good point. It also occurred to me after I wrote that that Lombardi was actively trying to get back into GMing. So he was not going to say anything too detailed or tip his hand too much regarding inside information that he has.

The real value of a guy like Lombardi, who has been around forever and knows everyone, is his inside information and connections. And he's not going to lose/offend all those connections by spouting off double-secret information that he gets from other insiders on the BS Report.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #457
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I grew to find Lombardi's 'insights' useless and this season stopped even bothering to download the BS Reports with him as guest. I hope he does well, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #458
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Guys, he only failed in Cleveland when Bill Belichick was his coach. I'm sure he'll be fine.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #459
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Vilma's defamation suit against Goodell dismissed - NFL - SI.com
Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #460
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

what was it a couple years ago that he said if he got the 49ers job the first thing he'd do is trade for brian hoyer? lol
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #461
Thomkal
Head Coach

It's probably too much to ask that this be the last we hear from Vilma and his lawyers on this, but I suppose it won't be.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #462
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I don't do employment law or defamation law, but it never struck me as right that you could sue your employer for defamation for disciplining you. If that were the law, bosses would have no real power over their employees. And it would operate as an effective end-run around employment law.

I don't know all the details, but the result feels right.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #463
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Aren't the Saints his employer, though, not Goodell?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #464
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't think he was suing them for disciplining him. I think he was suing them for saying he threw 15 grand on the table for whoever hurts Favre.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:54 PM   #465
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Again, I don't know the details of the case. So maybe y'all have good points. I am just taking a global view that a court is going to be reluctant to use state tort law to interfere with an employment relationship governed by a CBA and federal labor law.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #466
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: But the global view is only the starting place. The devil is generally in the details, and maybe the judge messed those up. I'm really not sure. If Vilma appeals, we will see his argument spelled out in more detail.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #467
JPhillips
General Manager

Andre Smith was arrested in ATL for trying to board a plane with a handgun in his luggage. Of course he says he had no idea.

Really smart for a guy that could cash in as a free agent.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #468
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Pep Hamilton is on Indy's short list for OC.

Last edited by Matthean : 01-18-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:51 PM   #469
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess the Browns hired Horton. Good coordinators i guess.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #470
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
It's probably too much to ask that this be the last we hear from Vilma and his lawyers on this, but I suppose it won't be.

I hope we have another 12 months of bounty this, Vilma that, Goodell this. It's compelling stuff.

Spoiler
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #471
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Look at the numbers, to say they even played well would be a stretch.

AJ Feeley started all of 2 games for the Eagles and played in only 5, he had 8 TD's and 8 picks. The idea that AJ Feeley was a good QB was only ever a thought.

Ty Detmer was here for 2 years. He threw 21 TD's and 19 picks and had a QB rating of about 75. This was after 4 seasons of development in GB.

Koy Detmer started 8 games in 8 seasons and was never any good. In 1998 he started 5 games and had a QB rating of 67.

Kevin Kolb started 8 games in Philly and had 11 TD's and 10 Picks with a QB rating of around 80, easily the best of the bunch. And his numbers have been just as good in Arizona as they were in Philly. He's probably an average QB.

I'll say it again, maybe McNabb was just a damn good QB.

Catching up on the board after some time away, and just had to LOL at the lengthy discussion on Andy Reid's quarterback-developing prowess with a central argument based on Ty Detmer considering he was never with Andy Reid and nobody even noticed.
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #472
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ken Dorsey promoted to Carolina QB coach. If he does well with Cam, he could be on his way to a head coaching gig in a few years.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #473
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Ken Dorsey promoted to Carolina QB coach. If he does well with Cam, he could be on his way to a head coaching gig in a few years.

those that can't do, teach, eh?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #474
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The circle of life
Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #475
DougW
High School Varsity

JaMarcus Russell planning a comeback, look out NFL !!

JaMarcus Russell Attempting NFL Comeback | Robert Littal Presents BlackSportsOnline
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:18 AM   #476
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zums View Post
Catching up on the board after some time away, and just had to LOL at the lengthy discussion on Andy Reid's quarterback-developing prowess with a central argument based on Ty Detmer considering he was never with Andy Reid and nobody even noticed.

Actually I noticed this while I was researching my responses to Suicane, but I never ended up bringing it up, because I decided to move on from the discussion. There didn't seem to a point in continuing the discussion by then.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #477
Suicane75
Coordinator

Heh, In fairness, I was only reacting to the list given. Although a day or two later I was relaying the argument to a friend who pointed out that Detmer never played for Reid.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #478
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

How in the hell did KC win two games and yet have six Pro Bowl players???? Methinks this rebuilding may not take as long as some might think. Looks like our coach sucked if you ask me.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #479
DougW
High School Varsity

In stadium first down laser lines.

First-down line could be coming to NFL stadiums - Yahoo! Finance
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #480
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Heh, In fairness, I was only reacting to the list given. Although a day or two later I was relaying the argument to a friend who pointed out that Detmer never played for Reid.

And Detmer sucked. Point for the crowd who says Reid is a QB guru!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #481
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
Are they going to put a chip in the ball to ensure the refs spot it correctly every time, and the center doesn't adjust it? I've always been fascinated how much attention is paid to the final link or two when it comes down to it, and how little is paid to the exact spot the rest of the time.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #482
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Are they going to put a chip in the ball to ensure the refs spot it correctly every time, and the center doesn't adjust it? I've always been fascinated how much attention is paid to the final link or two when it comes down to it, and how little is paid to the exact spot the rest of the time.
moreover why do they still use chains? chains get kinks. metal can stretch, expand and contract
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #483
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Saints fire DC Steve Spagnolo.

I guess coordinating the worst defense since they started keeping track of these things will do that for you.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #484
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

And the Lions waive Titus Young today.

Great use of a 2nd round pick! Goooo, MAYHEW!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #485
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder who can dare to give him a second chance.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #486
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

Mike Brown -- the king of second chances.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #487
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Sounds like a future Patriot to me.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #488
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Or a Bengal
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #489
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Sounds like a future Patriot to me.
I know that's partially in est, but I doubt it... the guys we give 2nd chances to generally have off-field problems, but no one questions their competitiveness and willingness to buy into the team. Based off the stories floating around about Young lining up in a teammates spot so he'd be the primary option I don't think Belichick would be a huge fan.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 02-04-2013 at 09:12 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #490
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'll put this here.

IAm Tiki Barber, New York Giants career rushing leader, 3x All-Pro and Co-Founder of Thuzio.com. AMA. : IAmA
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #491
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I know that's partially in est, but I doubt it... the guys we give 2nd chances to generally have off-field problems, but no one questions their competitiveness and willingness to buy into the team. Based off the stories floating around about Young lining up in a teammates spot so he'd be the primary option I don't think Belichick would be a huge fan.

They took a chance on Randy Moss did they not? Young was pretty blatant about it though so I'm not sure any head coach would want to deal with that headache. Someone will though, and its more likely to be hard disciplinary kind of coach like Belichick.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #492
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They took a chance on Randy Moss did they not? Young was pretty blatant about it though so I'm not sure any head coach would want to deal with that headache. Someone will though, and its more likely to be hard disciplinary kind of coach like Belichick.

The difference in talent between Moss and Young is rather significant.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #493
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The difference in talent between Moss and Young is rather significant.

Yes and so was the chance Moss would be more trouble in the locker room because he had that talent and experience. Young in the right situation could still overcome his "character issues" and become a productive member of the right team. I'm not defending Young here though believe me.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #494
Buccaneer
Head Coach

And Moss did eventually show his true colors and was thrown away. I didn't watch much of the SB but did see on the I terception that Moss did not even put his arms up. Typical. To me, character trumps talent unless a real change takes place, which hasn't been likely.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #495
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Interesting I read an article that indicated that Moss was wide open on more than a few plays where Kaepernick didn't notice him. Could have been a SF victory if Moss was noticed more often.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #496
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
And Moss did eventually show his true colors and was thrown away. I didn't watch much of the SB but did see on the I terception that Moss did not even put his arms up. Typical. To me, character trumps talent unless a real change takes place, which hasn't been likely.

I think because of the fight afterwards they only showed one replay from the end zone cam that looked bad, but that pass was completely sailed and a good 10 feet over Moss' head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Interesting I read an article that indicated that Moss was wide open on more than a few plays where Kaepernick didn't notice him. Could have been a SF victory if Moss was noticed more often.

Three plays I remember...one a post route in the middle of the field. Two was the deep sideline pass to Davis that he should have caught for a monster gain. Three was when he was standing in the back of the end zone, and I'm not sure that Kaepernick wasn't trying to get it to him in the first place, but Crabtree thought he was going for him and leaped up and deflected it.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 AM   #497
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Understood about the camera angle.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #498
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

So, considering the leap that Flacco took when Caldwell became Baltimore's coordinator, does Cam Cameron work in the NFL again?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #499
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
So, considering the leap that Flacco took when Caldwell became Baltimore's coordinator, does Cam Cameron work in the NFL again?

Of course he does.

He's under the age of 75 and he's got experience. Sooner or later, somebody hires him to do something.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #500
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yes and so was the chance Moss would be more trouble in the locker room because he had that talent and experience. Young in the right situation could still overcome his "character issues" and become a productive member of the right team. I'm not defending Young here though believe me.

There's no need to use quotes for this character issues. Young at best is a solid 2nd WR. Moss at his best is the best WR in the league. If you can't see the difference and why the Pats and even other teams were willing to take a shot with him, then I got nothing.