Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #201
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Houston is trying to outdo their Cain 14k perfect game.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #202
bhlloy
Coordinator

He's gonna get pulled
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #203
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Damn Yu Darvish I need to go to sleep.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #204
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dola-

Under-do instead of outdo maybe
Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #205
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Damnit Rangers stop scoring runs!
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #206
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Houston is trying to outdo their Cain 14k perfect game.

At this point it feels like if it happens to the Astros it shouldn't even count.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #207
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

GODDAMNIT !
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #208
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Whoops.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #209
PilotMan
Head Coach

awwwwwwww

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #210
kingfc22
Head Coach

Ohhhh so close.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #211
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Shoot... bummer
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #212
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Damn it!!! I was this close to seeing it in person!!!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #213
korme
Go Reds

Baseball is a cruel game
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #214
stevew
Hall Of Famer

52million for a Darvish posting fee? Shiiiit, I can buy 25 Astros for that and still have almost enough to buy a carcass of an A-Rod.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #215
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

damn
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #216
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My buddy that was with me at the game, this would have been the 2nd perfect game he'd have attended. He was at the old Arlington Stadium when Mike Witt threw the perfect game on the last day of the season.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #217
cartman
Death Herald

Dola,

Seeing the pitches in person, Yu's stuff was simply filthy. The batters had no clue what was coming. It might be a 92 mph fastball, or a 58 mph curve, or an 83 mph slider.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #218
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Dola,

Seeing the pitches in person, Yu's stuff was simply filthy. The batters had no clue what was coming. It might be a 92 mph fastball, or a 58 mph curve, or an 83 mph slider.

Fully expect Yu to be a good contender in the non-Felix, non-Verlander category for the Cy Young.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:21 AM   #219
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My buddy that was with me at the game, this would have been the 2nd perfect game he'd have attended. He was at the old Arlington Stadium when Mike Witt threw the perfect game on the last day of the season.

Wow, now that's a good reference. That was almost 30 years ago.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #220
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

A nice ode to baseball.

Our National Pastime – Kevin DeYoung
Old 04-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #221
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Amen (First thing I've ever read on the gospel coalition website!) - baseball is perfect. I always said I'd gladly trade every other Bay Area team winning anything in my lifetime for one Giants WS, and that worked out just fine.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #222
Ramzavail
College Starter

Quote:

Awesome!
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #223
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
We have to keep this in perspective though, it is the Astros.

43 batter strikeouts in 3 games for the Astros.

Brett Wallace is 1 for 10 with 8k
Chris Carter is 0 of 11 with 7k

Ouch
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #224
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Horrible way for the Tigers to blow one.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #225
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Kuroda leaves a game with a possible hand injury (he got his bare hand on a leadoff single in the second, then hit batsman, walk, hits batsman).

Not a good start for the NYY.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #226
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Evan Gattis, the post-Upton trade obsession of Braves blogs all through winter and spring, just hit a homer in his first MLB game.

I'm feeling far too giddy with it only being thirteen innings into the season but I can't seem to repress my optimism. This could be a good year.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #227
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It looks like half the players in the BOS-NYY game just came from robbing a bank, with the stretchable undersuit over their mouth
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #228
Recoil
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Evan Gattis, the post-Upton trade obsession of Braves blogs all through winter and spring, just hit a homer in his first MLB game.

I'm feeling far too giddy with it only being thirteen innings into the season but I can't seem to repress my optimism. This could be a good year.

Gattis is a great story. I was convinced they were gonna go with Pagnozzi at the beginning of spring training and start Gattis at AAA playing catcher every day. After Evan's spring training performance, I don't think they had much of a choice but to start him in the bigs. It'll be interesting to see the moves they make when McCann returns.

There's no doubt the Braves will score runs, but how will the pitching hold up? The depth at AAA doesn't look particularly deep, so hopefully every one will pitch well/stay healthy until Beachy returns.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #229
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Matt Harvey looks great in his start. Just filthy stuff. Though he is pitching against the Padres.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #230
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Gattis is a great story. I was convinced they were gonna go with Pagnozzi at the beginning of spring training and start Gattis at AAA playing catcher every day. After Evan's spring training performance, I don't think they had much of a choice but to start him in the bigs. It'll be interesting to see the moves they make when McCann returns.

There's no doubt the Braves will score runs, but how will the pitching hold up? The depth at AAA doesn't look particularly deep, so hopefully every one will pitch well/stay healthy until Beachy returns.

Maholm is solid but it's true there are questions everywhere else in the rotation. Hudson's done well over the last few years but he is 37. Medlen was amazing at the end of last season but it was only 12 starts. Same with Minor, I don't know if is he more like first half of 2012 Mike Minor or the guy from the second half of the season. And while Teheran is a bright prospect who dominated this spring, he still has to prove he can do it when it matters.

But I think with the great bullpen and strong lineup the Braves might be able to get away with one or two of these guys struggling a bit.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #231
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Matt Harvey looks great in his start. Just filthy stuff. Though he is pitching against the Padres.

7 IP, one hit, 10 Ks. Not bad kid.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #232
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
7 IP, one hit, 10 Ks. Not bad kid.

Really excited to see what he will do with some run support.Excited to finally watch young kids get a shot instead of washed up free agents.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #233
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Really excited to see what he will do with some run support.Excited to finally watch young kids get a shot instead of washed up free agents.

Mets are going about re-build the right way. Harvey, Wheeler (bitter as a Giants fan about that deal), D'Arnaud, Syndegard - this is a team on the up, and Niese is a good young MLB starter. Need some star power, but Wheeler and Harvey could both do that.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #234
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Also, Pablo Sandoval just hit a fastball at shoulder level for a line-drive HR. Justin Verlander understands.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #235
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Mets are going about re-build the right way. Harvey, Wheeler (bitter as a Giants fan about that deal), D'Arnaud, Syndegard - this is a team on the up, and Niese is a good young MLB starter. Need some star power, but Wheeler and Harvey could both do that.

The Madoff thing may end up being the best thing that could have happened to the Mets. The Wilpons had to go out and find a GM and front office capable of rebuilding from the ground up rather than finding another Omar Minaya that could really do nothing more than write checks.

Last edited by Atocep : 04-03-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #236
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It also gave the team cover for doing a youth movement and sucking for a few years, rather than having the fan base push for big signings and being competitive every year.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #237
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

The Astros should take another look at their decision to score all of this month's runs on Monday.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #238
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Mets have really been good about 7 times in the past 22 or so years. It seems like they've been doing that youth movement sucking thing more often than not.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #239
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think the point is they haven't been doing that, they've been doing the veterans getting paid way too much money and still sucking for most of that time.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 AM   #240
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Maybe they just needed Bob to step in and start negotiating all their long term deals
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #241
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

the omar minaya era led to much wheel spinning. minaya's reputation was based off his connections in latin america during his time with the expos. when those pipelines dried up he was exposed as a poor decision maker. i could run down the list but it would give me a headache.

iirc, there was a couple pages in moneyball dedicated to mianya's cluelessness
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #242
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I think the point is they haven't been doing that, they've been doing the veterans getting paid way too much money and still sucking for most of that time.

Ding! Ding! They felt that the fans would be satiated with a big name, even though in no way would one big name make a breakthrough (and you'd kill the farm system).

The Mets for too often thought they had to directly compete with the Yankees in the FA market. Hence any youth movement was usually squashed too soon.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #243
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Cards - D Backs

Fell asleep in the 12th.. just saw we lost in the 16th.. ugh..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #244
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't know if the stats reflect this but the pitching explosion sure seems to have resulted in far more games going deep into extras in the last few years. May just be my perception but feels that way
Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #245
sposfan
Mascot

Congratulations! If you're reading this, then you have scored as many runs as the Marlins this season!
sposfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #246
Subby
lolzcat

Yeah not getting to excited about the Nats start. They need to play a team first.

Although Gio sure did make Gianarlo look silly a few times.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #247
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
The Mets have really been good about 7 times in the past 22 or so years. It seems like they've been doing that youth movement sucking thing more often than not.

you don't pay attention to the Mets then ( most people don't). They haven't gone with a youth movement in a long time, the Big 3 was the last thing I remeber that was even close, unless you count Wright and Reyes coming up together.

Johan, Bay, Mo Vaughn, etc..., guys like this have been their M.O., not stockpiling yourn talent and letting that talent develop
Old 04-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #248
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
The Mets have really been good about 7 times in the past 22 or so years.

The neighbor behind me is a Mets / Red Sox fan (yeah some combination) and with me being a die hard Yankees fan we have plenty of interesting discussions over the back fence.

Yesterday he had some thoughts that I just found weird. He seemed to insinuate the Mets were biased because they got rid of their Latin American players in favor of white guys who should be in the minors or were washed up (Jason Bay).

Went on to say that they needed to have a demographic that represented the surround community or the fans would desert them. Just found this a really weird take as couldn't car less where the players on my team come from, I just want to see them win and that pretty much all fans I know seemed to share that sentiment. Just bizarre, especially since their main problem the last few seasons has been a bullpen that can't hold a lead.

BTW, baseball has to be the best radio sport there is. Love these afternoon games on Sirius right now, can listen and work without getting distracted.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 04-04-2013 at 12:57 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #249
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
you don't pay attention to the Mets then ( most people don't). They haven't gone with a youth movement in a long time, the Big 3 was the last thing I remeber that was even close, unless you count Wright and Reyes coming up together.

Johan, Bay, Mo Vaughn, etc..., guys like this have been their M.O., not stockpiling yourn talent and letting that talent develop

Not sure Bay really belongs on that list.

I mean, the Mets signed him after the 2009 season - 4yr/$66m. He was coming off an All-Star & Silver Slugger season, 30+ HR for 4 of the previous 5 seasons and was still only 30 yrs old.

That's certainly not to say he didn't disappoint once he got to NY, and they might have hung on a year too long but with that investment in him I don't know that they could have dropped him before 2012 nor did he look like a terrible investment at the time they signed him.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #250
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sposfan View Post
Congratulations! If you're reading this, then you have scored as many runs as the Marlins this season!

The Marlins have almost 1/3 of the strike outs the Astros do. The Marlins as a team have a BABIP of .163 and amazingly two teams (Blue Jays and Reds) are worse.