Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Hernias

Has anyone had a hernia above their belly button? I'm in the middle of a move and trying to figure out how quickly I need to get it fixed.

Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Above or in?

I had both the old standard inguinal & an umbilical.

How quickly you need to get it fixed doesn't depend on where it is, but on your level of discomfort. Since you are in the middle of the move, finish if you can. Just take it easy. After hernia surgery it's gonna be a couple weeks before you can even walk nearly right again. A month later you're pretty much back to normal, but still need to watch it.

The umbilical was far easier. There's no visible scar & no pain 3 years later. My innie is an innie again! The inguinal is another story. Still bothers me 2 years after the surgery. It's still better than before the surgery, so that's a comfort. Nice scar too, but you don't want to see it.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Warhammer
Pro Starter

It is tiny and above the belly button. I noticed it while dong core exercises, looked like I had a face hugged about ready to come out, but that was due to fluid, no protrusion of stomach or intestine.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I'd avoid the core exercises until getting it repaired. When I blew my inguinal out I knew it was there. It was diagnosed when I had the umbilical repaired, but was too small to do anything about. After the umbilical surgery I got serious about getting in shape & dropped 30 lbs. It got to the point where I was REALLY feeling the core workout & thought I was doing great. "Wow... a full day after the workout & I still feel it through my core? Yay!" No yay. I blew my inguinal hernia wide open. Within a couple weeks I could barely walk.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I've been holding off on the core exercises, pending getting this checked, more worried about the move. I figure I can continue my running, but nothing too strenuous on the core until I get in checked in a few days, think my insurance at the new job kicks in on the 23rd.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

You can apparently get some of your inner abdominal fat poking out through a hole in that area. I have something similar to what you describe, no pain just a slight bulge that can be pushed back in. I decided to get it fixed before it became a problem. Went to the doctor, he stuck his finger two knuckles deep in my navel (an experience I do not recommend) and said "That kind of hernia is not likely to get worse".

TL; DR You don't need to freak out if no pain but still get it checked eventually just in case.

Also: dong core exercises? TMI.

Last edited by Uncle Briggs : 05-21-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I know I have an inguinal. I have had it for about 6 months now. It's slightly uncomfortable but nothing major for me yet.....I don't know why I posted this other to say...I too know what it is to hurt...
Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
Warhammer
Pro Starter

That's the heck of it. Mine doesn't hurt yet, a little tender is all. I wouldn't have noticed had my shirt not pulled back a bit during the exercise and I happened to glance down and notice the bulge.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
evil homer
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I know I have an inguinal. I have had it for about 6 months now. It's slightly uncomfortable but nothing major for me yet.....I don't know why I posted this other to say...I too know what it is to hurt...

i had an inguinal as well. hurt it over the summer and lived with it until december (taking it easy - stopped running, couldn't lift anything over about 10 pounds, etc). surgery was easy and was back to normal a month later. no lasting effects. can run and exercise with no issues now.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Warhammer
Pro Starter

What type of doctor do you go to for this? GP? Orthopedist? GI?