Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #501
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

It's like people have forgotten all about Senators Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.

I thought you were a big Hillary guy?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:57 AM   #502
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I thought you were a big Hillary guy?

What does being for Hillary have to do with 'liberals' being unaware of big voices in the Democratic party talking about the corrupt intersection of government and companies?

And if you do think that they were unaware even with folks like Warren, Sanders, etc. talking about it. What makes you think they'll think Trump has it right (considering some of his plans already seem to be boondoggles for business)?
Old 11-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #503
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What does being for Hillary have to do with 'liberals' being unaware of big voices in the Democratic party talking about the corrupt intersection of government and companies?

And if you do think that they were unaware even with folks like Warren, Sanders, etc. talking about it. What makes you think they'll think Trump has it right (considering some of his plans already seem to be boondoggles for business)?

It means they nominated nominated somebody who conducts their dealings with big business in much the same way as Trump seems to. So you can say there are certain Democrats (one of them is actually an independent) who oppose it but it would be like arguing Rand Paul or Mike Lee speak for the Republican party when they really don't.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #504
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
It means they nominated nominated somebody who conducts their dealings with big business in much the same way as Trump seems to. So you can say there are certain Democrats (one of them is actually an independent) who oppose it but it would be like arguing Rand Paul or Mike Lee speak for the Republican party when they really don't.

Sanders is now officially a Democrat and in the Senate Democratic leadership, along with Senator Warren). And the comparison with Paul or Lee is off... it's better to argue that Sanders and Warren are more akin to John McCain. No, they don't speak for the Democratic Party as a whole, but they speak for a very large portion of it - who may be getting their choice (Rep. Keith Ellison) as head of the DNC.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #505
JPhillips
General Manager

You also don't necessary support everything about the candidate you end up voting for. I ended up making a choice of who is best, not who is perfect. There's a lot about Hillary I would change, but she was still the best choice for me.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #506
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If I'm a CEO I immediately announce a plan to move to Mexico and see what I can get from Trump.

If the choices are "Negotiate or leave" or just "leave" I'm glad there are forthcoming options for you! I hope your company and your jobs stay.

Last edited by Dutch : 11-30-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:26 AM   #507
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Really pulling for the local guy, Tim Ryan, to unseat Pelosi. Will not happen, at least not this cycle.

Well that didn't work out so well. Apparently Pelosi crushed Ryan.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #508
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well that didn't work out so well. Apparently Pelosi crushed Ryan.

Eh, was likely just an attempt to gain greater statewide appeal cause he's going to run for Governor probably.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:52 AM   #509
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ryan got more votes than he should have under smooth waters. This sort of thing doesn't happen easily, and even less so from a "hail mary" guy out of the blue.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #510
JPhillips
General Manager

Yeah, that's a pretty significant number given the circumstances.

Personally, I have less problem with Pelosi, as she knows how to obstruct, than I do with the rest of the leadership team. They need to get younger.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #511
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

The new Commerce Secretary:

Quote:
"I’ve negotiated with him over the years and he is not a bluffer. So if he says he will do something in a negotiation, not– I’m not talking about a campaign speech, in an actual negotiation, if he says, ‘If you don’t do this, I’ll do that,' you bet your booty he will do it," Ross said.

Did he just say Trump lied a lot during the campaign?
Old 12-01-2016, 08:51 AM   #512
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
dola

The new Commerce Secretary:

Did he just say Trump lied a lot during the campaign?

A politician lied a lot during a campaign. In other news...

Old 12-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #513
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
If I'm a CEO I immediately announce a plan to move to Mexico and see what I can get from Trump.

Obama Mocks Trump For Suggesting He Can Bring Back Carrier Jobs - YouTube
Old 12-01-2016, 05:02 PM   #514
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I don't see jobs being brought 'back' - he's bribed a company into keeping a small handful (no idea exactly what that bribe entailed yet - its been partially revealed but not fully) in the country ... whether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on your perspective.

I fear it will encourage other companies to play hard-ball and threaten to leave unless they've given tax breaks and such, time will tell how it plays out .. but this is being presented as saving 700-1,000 jobs and as such is a fantastic piece of PR by both Trump and the company in question, as it could have been displayed as them moving the 1,000 jobs being cut to another country as equally easily (and if Hillary had come in and the same had happened I'd have expected that to have been the note being played personally).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #515
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
They are still moving 1,200 jobs to Mexico. Originally it was going to be all 2,200, but they are keeping 1,000 in Indiana.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #516
RainMaker
General Manager

When does the swamp get drained? Feels like it's just filling up more and more with some of these picks.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #517
cuervo72
Head Coach

The networks already have stories on a ball bearing factory down the street which wants Trump to save their jobs as well. Gonna be a lot of deals that need to be made.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #518
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
http://www.pid.gov.pk/?p=30445

Quote:
President Trump said Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif you have a very good reputation. You are a terrific guy. You are doing amazing work which is visible in every way. I am looking forward to see you soon. As I am talking to you Prime Minister, I feel I am talking to a person I have known for long. Your country is amazing with tremendous opportunities. Pakistanis are one of the most intelligent people. I am ready and willing to play any role that you want me to play to address and find solutions to the outstanding problems. It will be an honor and I will personally do it. Feel free to call me any time even before 20th January that is before I assume my office.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #519
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm pretty sure I could script a Trump Chat bot in about 20 minutes that could fool anybody.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #520
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm not thrilled that the Mattis nomination essentially cedes civilian control of the military, but at least he should be a strong and much needed voice for NATO.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #521
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I'm not thrilled that the Mattis nomination essentially cedes civilian control of the military, but at least he should be a strong and much needed voice for NATO.

It's an interesting pick because Mattis is a real strong NATO guy and Trump says it's obsolete. Pretty enormous gap in their defense strategies.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:43 PM   #522
JPhillips
General Manager

There's also likely to be incredible stories leaking out about clashes between Flynn and Mattis.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:59 PM   #523
cuervo72
Head Coach

He's probably going to be in the administration, so relevant I guess.

Medical examiner 'threatened' by Clarke over jail deaths
Old 12-02-2016, 05:59 AM   #524
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
The networks already have stories on a ball bearing factory down the street which wants Trump to save their jobs as well. Gonna be a lot of deals that need to be made.

We need a new deal, then.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:06 AM   #525
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
The networks already have stories on a ball bearing factory down the street which wants Trump to save their jobs as well.
But of course!
Old 12-02-2016, 06:22 AM   #526
Dutch
"Dutch"

How did even you remember that!?
Old 12-02-2016, 08:46 AM   #527
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Have to laugh at all these people getting worked up over how Trump addresses various foreign leaders. We're the ones for years that don't always know where we stand in regards to other foreign leaders. I'm alright with them not having a clue where we stand in regards to them for a change.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #528
cuervo72
Head Coach

I think it's fine if you're not being looked to to lead. Which we generally are as the whole "leader of the free world" deal. But hey, if we don't want to do that anymore and would like these countries (or the UN!) to take the forefront in running the show...

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-02-2016 at 08:56 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #529
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I think it's fine if you're not being looked to to lead. Which we generally are as the whole "leader of the free world" deal. But hey, if we don't want to do that anymore and would like these countries (or the UN!) to take the forefront in running the show...

Certainly, you make a fair argument and my post was a **wink wink** at some level. But Trump did run on a platform where basically he said that the other countries need to start making decisions (and backing up those own decisions on their own) rather than using the U.S. to prop up their stance or expecting the U.S. to fix their problems for them. I don't think that's going to change much, even if he's shaking hands and smiling in front of the cameras. I'd say Israel (and some countries with ISIS issues) is probably about the only ally outside of our continent who shouldn't be worried about any changes in support by the U.S. in a Trump administration.

As for the bad guys? Everyone is still well aware of who they are and Mr. Trump isn't going to change that with a few back rubs along the way. I'd like to see less of us sending trillions of our money overseas just to keep people happy. Trump would definitely be the candidate to do that if anyone would.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #530
cartman
Death Herald

There is more to geopolitics than just who the US considers friends and enemies.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:00 AM   #531
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
As for the bad guys? Everyone is still well aware of who they are and Mr. Trump isn't going to change that with a few back rubs along the way. I'd like to see less of us sending trillions of our money overseas just to keep people happy. Trump would definitely be the candidate to do that if anyone would.

A lot is made of the US paying other countries - but are people aware of the amount that other countries pay to fund the US military? - of the ones I know about Japan pays $2bn/year (a deal which Hillary Clinton brokered), South Korean pays $800m/year and on top of this most countries with bases help fund their construction and such which is not inconsiderable (and often uses US companies for the construction).

How much do allies pay for U.S. troops? A lot more than Donald Trump says - LA Times

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 12-02-2016 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #532
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

Trillions?
Old 12-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #533
Suicane75
Coordinator

Wait, wait, wait, wait a gosh darn, cotton pickin minute here. Lance Bass is gay?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #534
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Have to laugh at all these people getting worked up over how Trump addresses various foreign leaders. We're the ones for years that don't always know where we stand in regards to other foreign leaders. I'm alright with them not having a clue where we stand in regards to them for a change.

Countries that do that are usually third world shitholes with despots trying to make a name for themselves. Telling important strategic allies that you may or may not support them does not seem like a strong strategy for the leader of the free world.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #535
cuervo72
Head Coach

Trump Speaks To Taiwan's President In Move Likely To Anger Beijing : NPR
Old 12-02-2016, 07:31 PM   #536
QuikSand
lolzcat

Trump wants to build luxury hotels in Taiwan’s Taoyuan: mayor | Taiwan News

This Trump trope is going to get really old. Pres does something, his business gains, lather rinse repeat.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:56 PM   #537
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah this seems more like a business call than a President call.
Old 12-02-2016, 07:58 PM   #538
JPhillips
General Manager

Apparently it came from Taiwan and was encouraged by one of Cheney's confidants.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:11 PM   #539
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Apparently it came from Taiwan and was encouraged by one of Cheney's confidants.

Taiwan news is reporting Trump called them.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:53 PM   #540
JPhillips
General Manager

I wonder if both stories are true. Perhaps Taiwan called and then Trump called back?
Old 12-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #541
Suicane75
Coordinator

Maybe it was one of those weird things where one of them made the call, but never heard a ring, and then the other one just answered and they were like "whoa, I never even heard it ring. Did it ring on your end? Weird."
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:11 PM   #542
bhlloy
Coordinator

He told Siri to call Thailand, but you know how those things are with any kind of accent
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:46 AM   #543
digamma
Torchbearer

SNL does a sketch about Trump tweeting. Minutes later Trump tweets about how unfunny SNL is. Can't make it up.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:52 AM   #544
bhlloy
Coordinator

To be fair, that's probably the most accurate tweet he has ever sent
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #545
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Trump May Not Propose A Budget Next Year
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:05 PM   #546
cuervo72
Head Coach

Armed man arrested near D.C. pizzeria targeted by fake news - POLITICO

eh, guess the Post has more details: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.065ed0bcc877

Last edited by cuervo72 : 12-04-2016 at 11:09 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:09 AM   #547
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Super curious how you're defining that. Because if you're talking about foreign aid spending, it would take twenty years at current spending levels to even approach a single trillion in aid spending.

Our annual budget is a bit over $4 trillion. Of that, we spend about $50 billion on foreign aid. If you're doing the math, that's about 1.25% of our annual spending. Of *that*, just 36%, about $18 billion, is earmarked for economic assistance. The largest recipient of economic aid is Afghanistan, at about $1 billion per year.

The rest? Military assistance. And 75% of that goes to Israel and Egypt, our two biggest allies in the Middle East and the countries on whom we lean the most heavily to maintain stability in the region. Buuuut...it's like food stamps. We give that money to Egypt and Israel, sure, but they have to spend it on contracts with American defense corporations. It's essentially a government subsidy for our defense contractors in the name of "securing Israel."

So you could cut every penny of economic aid for underdeveloped countries because "we have to take care of our own first," and you'd cut .0045% of our federal budget. Meanwhile, people in those countries now go hungry over about one half of one percent of our federal budget. Yay America? Yank the Israeli and Egyptian aid, and you're going to piss off the Jewish vote and the fundamentalists who believe that the American/Israeli relationship is sacred and we're supposed to support them because Armageddon will happen eventually. We can agree that's a "third rail" that isn't getting touched, so that three quarters of one percent of our federal budget doesn't get touched.

Now...if you want to lump in American foreign adventurism and the concomitant military spending that it takes to support efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan over the last 16 years, or the proposed escalation of efforts in Syria, then, sure - you're talking trillions and not billions.

But if the money "to keep people happy" you're talking about is the military and economic aid we send overseas, we're not even going to spend $1 trillion on that in the next generation, let alone trillions, plural.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:40 AM   #548
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

My current guess with Trumps stance with China - he's happy to take a trade war and the negatives which go with that in return for having an 'enemy' to blame things on and also being able to use the increased tensions to fuel military spending and increased demand for weapons (which will drive US jobs as the industrial military machine in the US is huge).

It's an incredibly horrific play to make imho because the risks involved are untenable to my morals - but I can see it going down well with his supporters so long as it remains purely a 'Cold War' and their preferred luxuries remain cheap ...
Old 12-05-2016, 07:45 AM   #549
PilotMan
Head Coach

Not to mention what that type of thing (as in trade war, and expansion in military spending that drives deficits) would do to the economy. Nothing like turning the keys of the car you've had for a while to a new owner who revs the engine up and then smashes the car into a wall.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #550
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
My current guess with Trumps stance with China - he's happy to take a trade war and the negatives which go with that in return for having an 'enemy' to blame things on and also being able to use the increased tensions to fuel military spending and increased demand for weapons (which will drive US jobs as the industrial military machine in the US is huge).

It's an incredibly horrific play to make imho because the risks involved are untenable to my morals - but I can see it going down well with his supporters so long as it remains purely a 'Cold War' and their preferred luxuries remain cheap ...
I don't think he cares about the military-industrial complex, but agree on the first half. I do wish that people stopped pretending it was a one way street though - after about 30 years of continuous progress towards openness and Western ideals China has grown increasingly insular and centralized in the last 5 years under its current administration. As suspect as the Trump call was for other reasons, even the Taiwan kerfuffle illustrates that - I'm kind of past the point where we need to tip toe around on eggshells and pretend Taiwan isn't a real country deserving of full diplomatic recognition in 2016.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote