Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #30751
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
True, that's what I said. But I guess what I meant was not enough people will do anything for it to make any difference, or change anything, or certainly not to get to the point of a civil war or secession.

There will be death and destruction "over there" which is not where most of us are, and we'll barely notice a change to our lives unless we are willing to give up our current lifestyles (lives?) to go "there" and join in.

No, there will be death and destruction in your town. Book it
Old 11-12-2020, 10:30 AM   #30752
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I lost track of which thread we got deep into speculating about the Trump media plans ahead, but...
President Trump has told friends he wants to start a digital media company to clobber Fox News.

"He plans to wreck Fox. No doubt about it," said a source with detailed knowledge of Trump's intentions. Trump eyes starting his own digital media empire to take on Fox News - Axios
— Axios (@axios) November 12, 2020

so, yeah...

It's just a matter of whether he buys up a Newsmax or OANN or starts his own

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:33 AM   #30753
Atocep
Coordinator

As I said in my original post, I'm almost certain it won't come to it. However, the Floyd protests are an example of what can happen and when we're talking potential coup that takes those stakes and multiplies them by several factors.

Trump had very little interest in being President of blue states. In the event he steals a 2nd term do you really think he's going to allow those blue states to continue to govern as blue states? There's no point to being a California, a Washington, a New York, a Massachusetts, and so on in that reality. There will be no federal funding, federal officers will be sent to your streets to "police", and countless other measures used to get you to fall in line and govern the "right way".

So this situation wouldn't simply be about 4 more years of Trump. It would be the end of our party system and way of governing. So yeah, I do see Newsom, Inslee, Cuomo, ect using the threat and taking the stand if push came to shove.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #30754
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
If the saying, "Past behavior is a reliable predictor of future behavior" is true, then trump will bankrupt that endeavor as well.

It's a given. He'll launch the network, lose interest after a year or 2, put one of his kids in charge of it, and then they'll run it into the ground and blame liberals for their failure.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #30755
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's a given. He'll launch the network, lose interest after a year or 2, put one of his kids in charge of it, and then they'll run it into the ground and blame liberals for their failure.

Straight out of the trump failbook. I can only imagine all of the telethons they would have to 'help keep us keep you informed' and just funneling that money into their personal accounts.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #30756
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
No, there will be death and destruction in your town. Book it

I think you severely overestimate the will of suburbanites to proactively endanger their lives, and underestimate their intelligence to push insurrection in places where they are the clear minority - and likely have far less access to and knowledge of lethal weapons than "the other side."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #30757
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I think you severely overestimate the will of suburbanites to proactively endanger their lives, and underestimate their intelligence to push insurrection in places where they are the clear minority - and likely have far less access to and knowledge of lethal weapons than "the other side."

+1 normal people of either political leaning, especially those with families, have no desire to engage in armed conflict with their "neighbors"

Many will sit and bitch on social media, while only those on the lunatic fringes of society will engage in violence, especially when confronted with those that oppose them, equally capable of inflicting that same violence on them.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-12-2020 at 10:58 AM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #30758
Ksyrup

KY supreme court unanimously upheld the governor's authority to issue emergency orders relating to Covid including the mask mandate. As we barrel toward 3K cases a day, this is great news.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #30759
Butter
Coordinator

I think you underestimate how many crazies there are in the burbs
Old 11-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #30760
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lets say Trump steals a second term, which is a greater than zero possibility. I think the likely outcome is protests that make the BLM movement look like small potatoes. In turn the "law and order" president sends in the military to squash the "violent leftists and Antifa." Since he has now replaced Sec Defense with a yes man the order is carried out. Boom. Powder keg that will completely explode. We will see violence in the streets and rioting on a scale we have never seen. In turn many "patriotic militias" take up arms to assist the military in restoring order, making matters even worse and turning our streets into a war zone. But hey, the libs should have just accepted their defeat quietly so it is all their fault.

Last edited by Lathum : 11-12-2020 at 11:05 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #30761
Ksyrup

We will see violence in the streets of big cities. It will be horrible and unimaginable if it happens. But we've already accepted 250K deaths like it's no big deal, and unlike Covid, these deaths would be largely confined to places none of us will be at or impacted by.

And that's in the best case scenario if you're NOT on Trump's side. If you're a part of the other 50% of this country, you'll think it's justified. The teenager militia dude killed 2 people with no claim to legitimate authority and he's a hero - you think all those people are going to suddenly turn on Trump and whatever he authorizes legitimate law enforcement/military to do to stop riots/protests? They'll be actively cheering it on and wanting to join in the fun.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-12-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:28 AM   #30762
Ksyrup

This all happening in the middle of a pandemic lessens the chance a lot of people feel the pain. Covid has made the riots/protests less jarring because far less people saw it firsthand. We're all working remotely. When Louisville shut down for a couple of weeks, none of us had to scramble to leave our offices when the violence escalated - we were sitting in our basements working because of the pandemic. And that's the closest anything related to the George Floyd protests got to me. That scene plays out in a lot of places across the country.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-12-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #30763
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
50% of the country will absolutely believe the election WASN'T stolen. So that's your starting point.

well 50% of the country? No 71 million is the starting point and that is maximum. I have read it is like 70% so lets call it 50 million of 335 million population (15%). I do agree that most people are too lazy and comfortable to do much I fear...well at least until it is too late. Too late for that is probably when he changes the law for a third term.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #30764
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
As I said in my original post, I'm almost certain it won't come to it. However, the Floyd protests are an example of what can happen and when we're talking potential coup that takes those stakes and multiplies them by several factors.

Trump had very little interest in being President of blue states. In the event he steals a 2nd term do you really think he's going to allow those blue states to continue to govern as blue states? There's no point to being a California, a Washington, a New York, a Massachusetts, and so on in that reality. There will be no federal funding, federal officers will be sent to your streets to "police", and countless other measures used to get you to fall in line and govern the "right way".

So this situation wouldn't simply be about 4 more years of Trump. It would be the end of our party system and way of governing. So yeah, I do see Newsom, Inslee, Cuomo, ect using the threat and taking the stand if push came to shove.

/imagines Canada with a pair of legs
Old 11-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #30765
Ksyrup

Certainly the loudest voices on the fringe are amplified, but I think it's a mistake to try to tie any for/against positions to just those who voted.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #30766
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What would Trump stealing a second term do to the economy? It would have to destroy it, right? I would assume faith in the US from other nations would be non existent with the exception of a few countries that likely don't move the needle.

Last edited by Lathum : 11-12-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #30767
spleen1015
Coordinator

Read this article - Trump aides privately plot a flurry of moves in their final 10 weeks - POLITICO

If Trump signs a bunch of EO's the last few weeks, what stops Biden from just signing EO's to get of them?
Old 11-12-2020, 11:40 AM   #30768
Ksyrup

Covid has/will have a far greater impact on the economy than another Trump term. I think you're overdoing the "steal" thing if it happens through the courts. It will just be taking "to the victors goes the spoils" to a different, unintended level. He took advantage of the court situation by installing friendly judges, they gave him the election. It's a failure of the system when it was finally stress-tested, but it's far from a military coup.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:52 AM   #30769
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Read this article - Trump aides privately plot a flurry of moves in their final 10 weeks - POLITICO

If Trump signs a bunch of EO's the last few weeks, what stops Biden from just signing EO's to get of them?

Nothing. The question is how much damage could those EO's do beforre Jan 20.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:06 PM   #30770
RainMaker
General Manager

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #30771
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

^

Not legit.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #30772
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I can't see it
Old 11-12-2020, 03:45 PM   #30773
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

am I going to open this and see a picture of a black guy with a huge unit?
Old 11-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #30774
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Hopefully in patriotic undies!
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:59 PM   #30775
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So if Trump does run again in 2024, does he keep or dump Mike Pence?
Old 11-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #30776
RainMaker
General Manager

Guess it was from a high quality parody site.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #30777
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Wood?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:17 PM   #30778
BYU 14
Coordinator

Here we go, and anything that happens out of this is squarely on the shoulders of Trump and fuckers that have enabled him for 4 years.

Proud Boys converging on DC for ‘Million MAGA March’ protesting election
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #30779
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Here we go, and anything that happens out of this is squarely on the shoulders of Trump and fuckers that have enabled him for 4 years.

Proud Boys converging on DC for ‘Million MAGA March’ protesting election

Even the name of the march is freaking racist. Agreed, this is all trump's doing and his enabling of them. However, I'd be surprised if it even gets into the tens of thousands.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #30780
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll just throw this in here cause, why not?

Was there a memo I missed? Some big story about how we're simply never coming out of all this shit?

Cause in the past 48 hours I've now seen a couple things that don't fit with a "eventually this will end" motif.

A restaurant back home is selling off the tables they removed back when seating distance was a big thing (they removed roughly half their seating) The tables are pretty new, they're selling them for maybe 1/10th of what replacing them will cost. There's no indication of imminent closure otherwise.

Now tonight I see a doctor's office giving away most of their reception area chairs. (you know, the one's you sit in while waiting for your name to be called). Some wear & tear like you'd expect but nothing crazy, certainly not beaten down to the point that you'd be thinking "time to replace them all".
And, again, no indication of a full closure.

Just seems strange to me. Feels like clear signs that neither business expects to ever be back to relative normal ... but why now suddenly? That's the part that sticks in my head and makes me feel as though they've gotten a memo I missed or something.

And I was one of the first people to board the "I don't believe there's any intention of EVER letting people have their lives back, we're permanently fucked if we allow it" train ... but what tipped 2 unrelated business seemingly in the same direction at the same time?

It's not election-related, that I can rule out I think. The restaurant couldn't be run by more strident liberals if it was named Joe & Kamala's AOCafe.

Arguably at least, these two anecdotes are the most puzzling events (taken together) I've seen since all this shit began.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #30781
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I bet it's related to cases being higher now than they've ever been. Probably convinced some people that it wasn't just one wave we can get over - which they may have known, but this made it real.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #30782
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Old 11-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #30783
Ksyrup

Yeah, I'd venture a guess that they don't think they will be in business by the time things get back to normal, not that we'll never get back to normal. We're long past the point where we could have gotten this under control and in fact are quickly sliding backwards going into the winter, so they probably see months added onto what they thought would be an end and simply don't see being able to survive.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-12-2020 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #30784
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Idk, Jon. I can tell you the local Chick-fil-A would love to never go back to in-house dinning. They are making way more money doing drive-through only. I can see restaurants possibly making better money with reduced dinning room, encouraging more take out which also takes less staff.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-12-2020 at 06:26 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:29 PM   #30785
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

As an update, my brother In law is home. He had to be given fluids along with a strong antibiotic. He is still weak, but is feeling better.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #30786
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know I am opening myself to calls of bias, racism, etc. but am I the only one who is concerned that Trump's losing this election will become the new Ruby Ridge or Waco? I mean both sides and all that, but we just saw a conspiracy to kidnap governors. I also seem to remember a federal building being blown up in Oklahoma City over a lot of the anti government and taken away freedoms sentiments that are being expressed.

Or am I being extreme?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #30787
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Idk, Jon. I can tell you the local Chick-fil-A would love to never go back to in-house dinning. They are making way more money doing drive-through only. I can see restaurants possibly making better money with reduced dinning room, encouraging more take out which also takes less staff.

Definitely not the case with this particular one. They've been hammered by it, and has reduced them to 4 days/wk and skeleton staffing.

They've been more ... vexed ... than just about any restaurant I've seen.

A bad combination of a tight building, zero traffic spacing (i.e. they do probably 60-70 percent of their daily take in about 75 minutes a day), an awkward drive thru, a tight kitchen that operates with careful choregraphy, and an unusually narrow parking lot. I mean, it's been hell for a lot of places but darned if I've seen one that had more handicaps against it.

Disclosure of sorts here I guess: the restaurant is pretty much iconic in my hometown. I graduated HS with the current owner/operator (who took it over from her parents). I've been eating their food for virtually my entire life (I have clear memories of it when I was no more than five years old). I remember when the building was built, etc etc etc. Point being simply that I'm abnormally familiar with this joint.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:51 PM   #30788
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
As an update, my brother In law is home. He had to be given fluids along with a strong antibiotic. He is still weak, but is feeling better.

That's good new for sure though.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 07:32 PM   #30789
cuervo72
Head Coach

Me, last week: "Voting from now shall be conducted by Chick-fil-A drive thrus." Someone else suggested they could handle covid testing.

We have two, and they have this shit down. I agree with in-store dining being a drag on their business.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #30790
stevew
Hall Of Famer

without in store dining, where will the old men gather to sit and occupy 2 tables for 2 hours while paying 6$ or less per person?
Old 11-12-2020, 08:00 PM   #30791
Drake
assmaster

If you're attached to the 2A community at all (or at least the 2A community as it represents itself on YouTube and in the comments on those videos), you're not being extreme at all.

There a a bunch of folks who are itching for a fight, and having the excuse of taking back democracy and preserving the United States is the match that's ready to light their fuse. All they lack is cohesive leadership.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:07 PM   #30792
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think the degree of anger there was over the COVID restrictions and the fact that almost nothing happened is the lastest in a long line of evidence showing that they really don't care that much. Even the people who think it was a permanent governmental/communist powergrab whined a lot but then shut up and took it and went about their business. As has been mentioned, there simply isn't the will for that kind of coordinated effort. Keyboard warriors aren't the people you need to concern yourself with, to put it charitably.

Is it possible it could lead to another terrorist act or two? Certainly. Any kind of widespread revolt? No way. And I don't mean this in any way crass, but this is sort of along the if you're going to make a omelette ... kind of thinking. The level of division we have doesn't get fixed without casualties one way or another. You don't just get out duct tape and put Humpty Dumpty back together. And actions like Oklahoma City are unfortunately always possible and will never completely go away. We would probably differ on where we see those types of actions in society right now to some degree, but the threat of it is always there. It's part of the price for freedom.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-12-2020 at 08:09 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #30793
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Me, last week: "Voting from now shall be conducted by Chick-fil-A drive thrus." Someone else suggested they could handle covid testing.

We'd actually be in worse shape here around me than we already are.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:58 PM   #30794
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
We'd actually be in worse shape here around me than we already are.

yeah, I'm not sure why they're held up as these bastions of efficiency when in my experience they're the opposite. Their land plots also are typically set up so that once you even attempt to see how long the line is, you're already screwed and may as well just stay.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:00 PM   #30795
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yay Grant!
Old 11-12-2020, 09:19 PM   #30796
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
yeah, I'm not sure why they're held up as these bastions of efficiency when in my experience they're the opposite. Their land plots also are typically set up so that once you even attempt to see how long the line is, you're already screwed and may as well just stay.

"Build on a postage stamp, what could possibly go wrong?"
Old 11-12-2020, 09:22 PM   #30797
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Fair is fair, so I'll post a follow-up as there IS at least a plausible explanation to the restaurant deal that had me thoroughly perplexed earlier.

Several follow-up posts later, I saw an explanation of sorts.

The removed booths are more removed booths than originally taken out. With those gone they're putting in custom built small tables which (doing some mental gymnastics) probably equates to an extra 2 seats.

That sounds like damned little but given that they've been down to seating only 6-8 people at lunch, it's still a potential 25-33 percent improvement.

At least THAT I can get my head around some.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:28 PM   #30798
cuervo72
Head Coach

Our CFAs probably both benefit from being not much over a year old (one location is new, the other built a new building right next to the old building before tearing that down).

The drive-thru line basically makes a horseshoe around the building and the in-store parking. The "U" portion (which is straight rather than curved, really) splits into two lanes. A cadre of girls (at least it seems like they are always girls) equipped with touchpads take your name, order, and payment, then tell you which car you will follow when the lines zipper merge back into one. A worker (this one seems to often be a guy) at a booth stationed before you get to the window verifies your name and asks if you need your receipt. Then you get to the window -- two bays, really -- and get your food from workers also stationed outside the building.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/24...5!4d-77.387364

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-12-2020 at 09:33 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:35 PM   #30799
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
The drive-thru line basically makes a horseshoe around the building and the in-store parking. The "U" portion (which is straight rather than curved, really) splits into two lanes. A cadre of girls (at least it seems like they are always girls) equipped with touchpads take your name, order, and payment, then tell you which car you will follow when the lines zipper merge back into one. A worker (this one seems to often be a guy) at a booth stationed before you get to the window verifies your name and asks if you need your receipt. Then you get to the window -- two bays, really -- and get your food from workers also stationed outside the building.

re: the gender stuff -- unrelated but maybe related. I idly asked my WM grocery pickup bringer-outter the other day something that popped in my head: do they work the same thing all the time? Like, do some people shop the grocery orders while other people bring them outside, or do they do both, or what?

She said that they were now essentially treated as their own department in this store, so they were allowed to mostly work that out amongst themselves. She said most did both, a few wanted to shop only, a few wanted to haul outside only.

I could imagine where CFA might have something similar going on.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:46 PM   #30800
cuervo72
Head Coach

It seems to be both locations though. So...I dunno. Then again, it might just be that girls in the area are more industrious than the guys. *shrug*

I could understand not wanting to be public-facing though. One of my first jobs was at Hechinger's (killed by Home Depot basically). One of my friends got a job there as a "board kicker." I figured cool, being a football player and more buff than my friend I could work in the back lifting whatever. Where did they put me? On register. When I later worked at Burger King I did basically everything and did it happily - mopping, changing fryers, working the broiler, fryers, then the sandwich boards. I began to grumble when they eventually wanted to train me on the registers.

Look man, I can handle them, not being an idiot. But fuck if I wanted to have to deal with people. (Both in putting up with them and the social anxiety involved.)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-12-2020 at 09:46 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote