Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #31501
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
There are things about every one of us that are emphatically not ok. Associating with people is not passive acceptance of their beliefs, and it doesn't give their beliefs 'social credit' or any other such thing. It acknowledges them as flawed human beings, which we all are, and does not endorse any of those particular flaws but rather their basic dignity and humanity. That's it, and that's all.

I understand the perspective that we need to shut all this stuff down, but that simply weakens society. A strong society isn't one that blocks out perspectives it finds too repugnant. It is one that exposes itself to all perspectives and withstands the ones that are harmful, very similar to how you have to subject metal to a certain amount of intense heat to weed out the impurities and make it strong. Without that treatment, it remains brittle. If we are at the point where we don't believe we are capable of doing that, than the point is made; it's time to move to a different form of society because we aren't capable of being a functioning democracy.

That's literally never been true in any democracy on Earth. It seems like you're arguing for a values/morals neutral society, which may be theoretically possible but hasn't ever happened.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #31502
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Right. Sounds like some Rawlsian or other philosophical worldview where spirited debate sways people with hateful views to realize how wrong they are. That isn't real life aside from a few outliers here and there. There is a reason we had to fight a war against the Nazis as opposed to logic-ing them out of their beliefs.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2021, 01:50 PM   #31503
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
There are things about every one of us that are emphatically not ok. Associating with people is not passive acceptance of their beliefs, and it doesn't give their beliefs 'social credit' or any other such thing. It acknowledges them as flawed human beings, which we all are, and does not endorse any of those particular flaws but rather their basic dignity and humanity. That's it, and that's all.

If someone thinks they are superior because of their skin color they lack any basic dignity or humanity.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:18 PM   #31504
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Completely regardless of whatever isms they might ascribe to I think there is a significant amount of sociopaths that are simply incapable of extending that kind of basic empathy or understanding to anyone else and will instead attempt to exploit everyone they meet.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:26 PM   #31505
RainMaker
General Manager

There are billions of people on this planet and a finite time we live. Why waste that time on a fascist or white supremacist?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:53 PM   #31506
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
There are billions of people on this planet and a finite time we live. Why waste that time on a fascist or white supremacist?

Yup, this is what gets me. What's the end game here? I'd rather spend the time I have left enjoying things like my family, friends, hobbies, etc, than worry about if I'm superior to someone else based on the color of their skin or trying to horde as much power as possible.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #31507
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
If someone thinks they are superior because of their skin color they lack any basic dignity or humanity.

That's an interesting perspective. I'm not prepared to say that a sizable portion of the homo sapiens who have ever lived weren't actually human.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:14 PM   #31508
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
That's an interesting perspective. I'm not prepared to say that a sizable portion of the homo sapiens who have ever lived weren't actually human.

Well, we can just call racists morally bankrupt cowards that lack any amount of compassion for their fellow humans then. And the irony of even having that perspective here in America when they are not even indigenous.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #31509
RainMaker
General Manager

You can hang out with your racist friends, you don't need to justify it here.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:32 PM   #31510
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

This is a rather oddly pedantic response. I mean, it's quite obvious that he wasn't talking about humans and our evolution.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 01-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #31511
miked
College Starter

This is where the party ends
I can't stand here listening to you
And your racist friend
I know politics bore you
But I feel like a hypocrite talking to you
And your racist friend
It was the loveliest party that I've ever attended
If anything was broken I'm sure it could be mended
My head can't tolerate this bobbing and pretending
Listen to some bullet-head and the madness that he's saying
I'll just sit here wondering how you
Can stand by your racist friend

Last edited by miked : 01-05-2021 at 03:39 PM.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #31512
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Remember that time I told you that at times you're guilty of trying to sound like the smartest guy in the room? You're doing it again.
Old 01-05-2021, 03:45 PM   #31513
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Remember that time I told you that at times you're guilty of trying to sound like the smartest guy in the room? You're doing it again.

It was a somewhat feeble attempt however
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #31514
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I can't be the only one put off by the mountain of people on the internet that spend an awful lot of their time repeatedly & directly arguing against & judging real people, based on the stuggestion that we shouldn't be arguing against & judging any hypothetical people?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:30 PM   #31515
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
It was a somewhat feeble attempt however

I stand by my deluded comment.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:02 PM   #31516
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter
This is a rather oddly pedantic response. I mean, it's quite obvious that he wasn't talking about humans and our evolution.

That's not obvious to me at all. The claim literally was that racists don't have humanity or dignity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum

Allow me to step back here then and be educated. How can/should I put it better or more respectfully. I thought, and still do, that the statement made lacks an important historic perspective. So how do I make that point in a way that doesn't sound/read/etc. the negative way you are describing?

The way it looks to me is a pot.kettle.black situation. I can quote specific examples if it would be helpful, but the level of arrogance and condescension incoming in my direction has been far greater than anything I've put out there. I'm not above improvement in any way, but if I came into this as someone who didn't have any history with any of us and was looking for that, I wouldn't be the poster that jumped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy
I can't be the only one put off by the mountain of people on the internet that spend an awful lot of their time repeatedly & directly arguing against & judging real people, based on the stuggestion that we shouldn't be arguing against & judging any hypothetical people?

I think it's self-evident that there's been a lot more judging headed my direction in this conversation than the other way around. As for the arguing part - isn't that the point of these kinds of discussions? To expose ourselves to other ideas and counter those we think are wrong?
Old 01-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #31517
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
That's not obvious to me at all. The claim literally was that racists don't have humanity or dignity.

There is more than one definition to the word "humanity".

Humanity | Definition of Humanity at Dictionary.com

1. all human beings collectively; the human race; humankind.
2. the quality or condition of being human; human nature.
3. the quality of being humane; kindness; benevolence.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:33 PM   #31518
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Point taken, but I would stand by my response under any of those three meanings.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:34 PM   #31519
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

The thing is, you originally brought up dignity and humanity though (unless I totally missed someone else bringing it up before you) and the context of what you wrote, had nothing to do with human evolution. It was about people's beliefs and their flaws and giving them social credit. If you were referring to human evolution, it's not very clear at all and looks more like you are talking about what makes us human in how we interact with each other as a society.

I'm not saying that you should have the perfect response to everyone's questions or comments, but, it does give the appearance you are being a bit disingenuous.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:50 PM   #31520
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I do certainly give people leeway for misunderstanding what people of differing opinions say. I think I've been quite consistent though in this thread and the other in emphasizing that what I'm talking about is common to all people by nature of their being people, period, before you get into anything else. In the post I think you are referring to, I specifically contrasted the concepts of dignity and humanity with beliefs, social credit, etc. I don't know how to read what I wrote and conclude I was equating them. I think it clearly doesn't say that at all.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #31521
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
This whole far right resurgence has been a result of growing social acceptance of it. A whole bunch of people who didn't realize that it was still widely accepted by a large portion of this country were given permission not only to let their voices be heard, but to act out violently about it.

This needs to be stuffed back in the bottle and eradicated. By any means necessary. A little social shunning should be the least of their fucking concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
YES, this.
I actually disagree here. The mainstream politically far right resurgence isn't because there's growing social acceptance of racism, it's because it was becoming socially unacceptable to be subtly or kind of passively racist. Unfortunately when they kept getting called on it a large number decided to double down and take pride in being openly racist (and Twitter etc gave them a space where they found acceptance doing so). But there's no way this country is more accepting of racism as a whole than 20, or 40, or 60 years ago, it's just that section is louder than it has been since the 60's.

Don't disagree that they should be called out on any nonsense, though for the friends of friends I've come across occasionally who are proud Trump supporters but not Proud Boys or in the KKK I'm happy enough to watch a football game or hang out on a porch and play some drinking games with them as long as they stay away from those topics, and if they end up straying towards them I have no problem telling them I think they're a fucking idiot, so do most people here, and we should probably just go back to talking about sports or other things if that offends them.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 07:55 PM   #31522
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I can't stand here listening to you
And your racist friend
I know politics bore you
But I feel like a hypocrite talking to you
And your racist friend
It was the loveliest party that I've ever attended
If anything was broken I'm sure it could be mended
My head can't tolerate this bobbing and pretending
Listen to some bullet-head and the madness that he's saying
I'll just sit here wondering how you
Can stand by your racist friend

My wife was asking what I was reading and gave her the quick synopsis. She started singing these lyrics about 2 posts before I got here and mentioned she loved the line "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:21 PM   #31523
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I actually disagree here. The mainstream politically far right resurgence isn't because there's growing social acceptance of racism, it's because it was becoming socially unacceptable to be subtly or kind of passively racist. Unfortunately when they kept getting called on it a large number decided to double down and take pride in being openly racist (and Twitter etc gave them a space where they found acceptance doing so). But there's no way this country is more accepting of racism as a whole than 20, or 40, or 60 years ago, it's just that section is louder than it has been since the 60's.

Don't disagree that they should be called out on any nonsense, though for the friends of friends I've come across occasionally who are proud Trump supporters but not Proud Boys or in the KKK I'm happy enough to watch a football game or hang out on a porch and play some drinking games with them as long as they stay away from those topics, and if they end up straying towards them I have no problem telling them I think they're a fucking idiot, so do most people here, and we should probably just go back to talking about sports or other things if that offends them.

Why not both?
Old 01-05-2021, 09:41 PM   #31524
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Law and Order:
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 09:57 PM   #31525
GrantDawg

Paging Dr. Darwin. Paging Dr. Darwin:
Old 01-05-2021, 10:55 PM   #31526
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Law and Order:

Blue Lives Matter?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:44 AM   #31527
miami_fan
Coordinator

One thing about this administration. Their commitment to destroying the Civil Rights Act is going down to the very last day.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/05/polit...act/index.html
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:46 AM   #31528
AlexB
Pro Starter

Nobody has ever done more for the black community?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #31529
JediKooter
Coordinator

Word is, articles of impeachment are being drawn up and twitter has suspended the orange buffoons' account.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #31530
GrantDawg

They are not going to impeach him. They should, but they won't.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2021, 06:41 PM   #31531
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

CNN is basically reporting that Pence is running the country right now, coordinating with National Guard, Homeland Security, etc. No real word on what's up with Trump.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:52 PM   #31532
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Could the 25th have already been invoked without us knowing?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:05 PM   #31533
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
CNN is basically reporting that Pence is running the country right now, coordinating with National Guard, Homeland Security, etc. No real word on what's up with Trump.

I have a feeling he's leaving DC within the next couple of days and is done pretending to be president. Not sure if he resigns or not, but I think his presidency is effectively over.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #31534
GrantDawg

The video of the woman being shot is bad. She was a protester, btw. She was wearing a Trump flag as a cape.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:14 PM   #31535
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The video of the woman being shot is bad. She was a protester, btw. She was wearing a Trump flag as a cape.

Guess she shouldn’t have broken into the capitol building. Should have shot more of them.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:25 PM   #31536
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Impeachment now would be such an empty gesture. There's nowhere near enough time.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:29 PM   #31537
JPhillips
General Manager

Not true. The House could pass a single article tonight if they wanted.

Then it's up to McConnell on whether he wants to own all the shit coming in the next two weeks.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #31538
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

Trump has to be removed. This isn't a precedent you want to set either.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:31 PM   #31539
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Sure they *could*, but impeachment has never been done that way before. There's always debate in committees, debate on the floor, etc. It would just be unserious theatre to do that kind of thing.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:31 PM   #31540
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Guess she shouldn’t have broken into the capitol building. Should have shot more of them.

I'm sort of torn between "people shouldn't be shot over public property" and "y'all seemed to be all for people getting shot over public property when it was Portland, so stupid games/stupid prizes is in play".

I'd like to think I'll end up taking the high road here, so I'm staying off of social media for the most part.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:32 PM   #31541
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Could the 25th have already been invoked without us knowing?

I can't imagine Trump wouldn't object and then it would go to Congress.

I also don't think there are enough cabinet secretaries willing to do it.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #31542
Jas_lov
College Starter

The impeachment and removal would be so he can't hold federal office in the future. If you can't be impeached for inciting a coup to overthrow the Capitol what can you be impeached for?
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:38 PM   #31543
Atocep
Coordinator

NBC reporting there is serious discussions on invoking the 25th although it hasn't been presented to Pence yet.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #31544
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I can't imagine Trump wouldn't object and then it would go to Congress.

I also don't think there are enough cabinet secretaries willing to do it.

Yeah that was also my thought, but then I was wondering how Pence was able to order the National Guard when it seems like Trump previously refused.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #31545
GrantDawg

CBS reporter Marg Brennan is reporting that Cabinet is meeting to discuss the 25th.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #31546
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I'm sort of torn between "people shouldn't be shot over public property" and "y'all seemed to be all for people getting shot over public property when it was Portland, so stupid games/stupid prizes is in play".

I'd like to think I'll end up taking the high road here, so I'm staying off of social media for the most part.

I don't mind if people are shot when trying to overthrow a democratically elected government.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #31547
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It looks like the hearings are going like this:

Mitch: (death glare) I call on the Senator from {state} and I'll cut you if you try to object
GOP Senator: I was going to object but it's clear we can't do that now (hangs head)
Chuck: (grumble) I call on the Senator from {state} to pander
Dem Senator: Waxes poetic with some grandstanding or cheesy anecdote while basically saying "I told you so, you dumb effs"

Rinse and repeat

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-06-2021 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:48 PM   #31548
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Cory Booker not mincing words

SI

Old 01-06-2021, 07:49 PM   #31549
kingfc22
Head Coach

Great job by Booker. He doesn’t give a flying F.

Need more of that. Call them on their bullshit.

Last edited by kingfc22 : 01-06-2021 at 07:52 PM.
kingfc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:52 PM   #31550
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Yeah that was also my thought, but then I was wondering how Pence was able to order the National Guard when it seems like Trump previously refused.

I think the same way Cheney ordered fighters to shoot down unknown contacts. He did it and the military listened. It's really dangerous and shouldn't be accepted even though in this case it was clearly the right decision. Trump has to be removed if he's not going to be able to control the military.