Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2020, 09:02 AM   #701
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I don't know that I've ever gotten a console at launch. PS5 won't be any different I'm sure. But I haven't bought an XBox since the 360 and that's not going to change. These days I use my consoles primarily as a streaming device, with some gameplay thrown in. Unless it's the Switch - I play quite a lot on that (usually Fire Emblem: Three Houses).

Normally I wouldn't either, but I didn't get a PS4 or XBOne. I got a Switch from the last generation after a break from gaming. And all these ports came out for the Switch and I thought to myself... why buy a worse graphical port (which are still technical marvels because you can take it on the go) when I can wait a year or so for a new generation?

So if I do get a PS5, which seems most likely, I'm immediately going to get Horizon Zero Dark, God of War, The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption 2, Spiderman, and Witcher 3 right away for cheap (most of them are like $20 on Amazon right now).
Old 09-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #702
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And here we go:

Xbox Series X | Xbox

Xbox Series X will be $499, released on November 10, pre-orders start on September 22. Also announced that EA Play is going to be bundled in with Gamepass Ultimate, which is massive news!

Sony, the ball is now in your court.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:29 PM   #703
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
The app is trash, but there's value there.

Xbox Game Pass for PC so far:

Night 1 - Install The Outer Worlds. Play for about an hour.
Night 2 - Last night save didnt save, so start again
Night 3 - The Outer Worlds says it needs an update. Start the download and the update is 29GB. Cancel the download.
Night 4 - Restart the download, it gets 10GB downloaded then fails with an error and the game uninstalls itself.

So yeah, it's trash. Slay the Spire is good though.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:11 PM   #704
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I had to jump through so many hoops to get gamepass working. Some of it was my fault, as there were xbox-specific services I had manually turned off, but I also had to turn on a bunch of other services and enable & run Windows Update a couple times before it would even start-up properly, and then I had a whole other host of problems based on it not being able to connect to the internet. I spent literally over 8 hours getting GamePass to work properly. Steam & Origin & The Epic Store & whatever else never had a single issue beforehand.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-09-2020 at 11:12 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:48 AM   #705
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

guess i have been lucky with game pass, no problem installing or playing any games. been pretty easy for me and can’t beat the current price for what you get. it’s certainly not as mature from a featured perspective as steam, but steam has had a lot of years headstart.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:41 PM   #706
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm not familiar with Playstation Plus. Are the games they give for free lifetime? I just got a credit for Fall Guys which I bought in August but apparently was a free game.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:49 PM   #707
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm not familiar with Playstation Plus. Are the games they give for free lifetime? I just got a credit for Fall Guys which I bought in August but apparently was a free game.

They are free as long as you claimed them and you subscribe to PS+.
Old 09-10-2020, 07:36 PM   #708
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Fortnite stats: Solo

661 Eliminations
661 Matches Played

If you'd told me that a 1.00 K/D was possible for me I'd have said you were nuts. I remember being -150,with little hope of even closing to -100.

I'm not pretending I'm any good at it ... but I'm considerably better than I ever imagined I'd be.
Old 09-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #709
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So other fun things on the next-gun consoles. Dolby tweeted that Xbox would be the first next-gen system with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos gaming. Then XBox's head of marketing, retweeted, saying Xbox would be the ONLY next-gen consoles with Dolby Vision AND Dolby Atmos. The question is what does that mean for PS5... is the AND important here (because Sony has said they are working on their own audio system). If PS5 doesn't have Dolby Vision gaming that's a MAJOR loss.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-11-2020 at 12:46 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:03 PM   #710
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

What is Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos?
Old 09-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #711
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
What is Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos?

Here the official pages:

Dolby Vision - Dolby

Dolby Atmos - Dolby

And this is what Wikipedia says (I'll explain better about Dolby Vision):

400 Bad Request

Quote:
Dolby Vision is content mastering and delivery format similar to the HDR10 media profile. It supports both high dynamic range (HDR) and wide color gamut (ITU-R Rec. 2020 and 2100) at all stages from content creation and production to transmission and playback. Dolby Vision includes the Perceptual Quantizier (SMPTE ST-2084) electro-optical transfer function and supports displays with up to 10,000-nit maximum brightness (4,000-nit in practice). It also provides up to 8K resolution and color depth of up to 12-bits (backward compatible with current 8-bit and 10-bit displays).[27] Dolby Vision can encode mastering display colorimetry information using static metadata (SMPTE ST 2086) and dynamic metadata (SMPTE ST 2094-10, Dolby format) for each scene.[28] Examples of Ultra HD (UHD) Dolby Vision are available in TV, monitor, mobile devices and theater. Dolby Vision content can be delivered on Ultra HD Blu-ray discs,[29][30] over conventional broadcasting, OTT, and online streaming media services.[31] Dolby Vision metadata can be carried via HDMI interface versions 1.4b and above.[32] It also supports IPTPQc2 color space, that is similar to ICtCp. Dolby Vision IQ is an update designed to optimise Dolby Vision content according to the brightness of the room.[33]

Dolby Atmos - Wikipedia

Quote:
Dolby Atmos is a surround sound technology developed by Dolby Laboratories. It expands on decreasing surround sound systems by adding height channels, allowing sounds to be interpreted as three-dimensional objects.[1] Following the release of Atmos for the cinema market, a variety of consumer technologies have been released under the Atmos brand, using in-ceiling and up-firing speakers.

Dolby Vision is an HDR10 (High Dynamic Range) format which allows for analysis of proper dynamic range on a scene by scene basis (using scene by scene metadata). Whereas regular HDR does the dynamic range movie or show wide (fixed metadata for each show/movie). Some scenes look better when the range is variable (so a dark scene where the light is bright but not as bright as it would be in a light scene). The difference between a Dolby Vision and HDR work is, IMO, pretty substantial. And Dolby Vision makes works look a lot more realistic.

Dolby Atmos, though I haven't experienced it, uses upward firing speakers to create a 3D audio sensation. Makes you feel as if the sound is happening all around out - in a more real way than 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-11-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:35 PM   #712
Bee
Pro Starter

The $5/month price on gamepass for PC is going away soon, so it will be $10/month. They are also adding EA Play sometime later this year to gamepass.

I ended up buying a couple 12 month Xbox Gold codes and converting that to gamepass ultimate essentially locking in the $5/month for the next couple years.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:03 PM   #713
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Have we talked about Star Wars Squadron on here yet? I am hard core stoked for that.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:57 AM   #714
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
The $5/month price on gamepass for PC is going away soon, so it will be $10/month. They are also adding EA Play sometime later this year to gamepass.

In September sometime, I believe. And if you have Game Pass Ultimate, PC is included in that. $15/month for Game Pass on Xbox One/Series S/X, PC, and also EA Play? That's amazing. I mean, I'm a cheapass so I'd prefer to pay LESS than that, but that's basically Netflix pricing for a service that's as close as we've ever come to "Netflix for gaming."
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:05 PM   #715
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Have we talked about Star Wars Squadron on here yet? I am hard core stoked for that.

If there's a good single-player campaign then I'll probably buy it.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:44 PM   #716
JPhillips
General Manager

I picked up Ancestors a few days ago. It's interesting, but I don't think I've ever seen a game designed to be so opaque in terms of controls.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #717
Atocep
Coordinator

As far as hardware goes, I think the Xbox is the better console for the upcoming generation. With Sony committed to bringing more of their exclusives to PC, I'm leaning toward buying my first XBox since the original.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 09:07 AM   #718
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
As far as hardware goes, I think the Xbox is the better console for the upcoming generation. With Sony committed to bringing more of their exclusives to PC, I'm leaning toward buying my first XBox since the original.

IIRC, the exclusives PS is bringing to PC are older ones.

This week we should have more information on both systems. Sony is doing it's big PS5 price/date reveal on Wednesday - which should have more info on the underworkings of the system as well and games. And it is rumored that Microsoft is doing a video on Thursday.
Old 09-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #719
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
IIRC, the exclusives PS is bringing to PC are older ones.

This week we should have more information on both systems. Sony is doing it's big PS5 price/date reveal on Wednesday - which should have more info on the underworkings of the system as well and games. And it is rumored that Microsoft is doing a video on Thursday.

Horizon: Zero Dawn was Sony's way of testing exclusives out on PC and it's sold very well. The Show is rumored to be coming to PC in 2021 and there are also rumors of Sony looking at timed exclusivity for some of their stuff moving forward. There are several Sony exclusives that I really like, but I'm not sure I'm going to let that dictate which console I buy this Gen when I think Microsoft clearly has the better hardware.

I'm also not sure there's a potential Sony exclusive in the near future I'd be willing buy anyway (assuming The Show is on PC). I'm sure Horizon 2 will make its way to PC and I thought Spiderman was overrated. A new Naughty Dog or God of War game is probably years and a a price cut or 2 away.

I'm sure I'll end up with both eventually, but I'm leaning Xbox for now.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #720
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

PS5 reveal just occurred. $499 for disk version, $399 for digital version. Coming out November 12. Also revealed that a number of PS4 hits are going to be available on PlayStation Plus (not quite Gamepass, but a definite step in the right direction).
Old 09-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #721
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Horizon: Zero Dawn was Sony's way of testing exclusives out on PC and it's sold very well.

Right, but Sony isn't doing a Microsoft. They are releasing exclusives to PCs to drive PS5 sales. And I think there is an expectation that they would do it for games that are 3+ years old to show PC gamers you could have been playing this years earlier if you had a PS5.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #722
Atocep
Coordinator

I stand corrected on years away from another God of War game.
Old 09-16-2020, 04:10 PM   #723
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

I have a flight stick. I should be able to map out controls to that, right?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:36 PM   #724
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow, Sony jumps Microsoft a bit by saying "select retailers" are going to have the PS5 for preorder tomorrow... I guess that'll help narrow down a lot of people's choices - if they can get a PS5 preordered tomorrow or not .
Old 09-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #725
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

* ahem *

(very excited our game is now finally official)
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:40 PM   #726
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

From the looks of Twitter, it appears Gamestop is handling those PS5 preorders ohhhhh so well. #Yikes
Old 09-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #727
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
* ahem *

(very excited our game is now finally official)

Oh damn, that's yours? I'm playing the fuck out of this game. By far the most exciting reveal for me.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:03 PM   #728
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
From the looks of Twitter, it appears Gamestop is handling those PS5 preorders ohhhhh so well. #Yikes

Everywhere is nuts (BB and Target with website drops and quick sell outs) - Amazon hasn't started selling yet though. Sony screwed things up it seems by giving no lead time. Maybe they will have a ton themselves tomorrow (when preorders were supposed to happen)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-16-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 11:13 PM   #729
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Everywhere is nuts (BB and Target with website drops and quick sell outs) - Amazon hasn't started selling yet though. Sony screwed things up it seems by giving no lead time. Maybe they will have a ton themselves tomorrow (when preorders were supposed to happen)

But did the others interpret attempts to get on their site to place an order as DDOS attacks and start banning IPs?
Old 09-16-2020, 11:43 PM   #730
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh damn, that's yours? I'm playing the fuck out of this game. By far the most exciting reveal for me.
Indeed it is. In fact I had a significant hand in several of the cinematics featured in that reveal.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:50 PM   #731
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Indeed it is. In fact I had a significant hand in several of the cinematics featured in that reveal.

Very kool. Congrats. The game looks like it has potential.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:57 PM   #732
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I ended up getting a PS5 preorder on Best Buy. They apparently released a whole new batch of preorders at midnight Eastern. But it required a whole lot of clicking place order before it actually went through. Who knows what BB was doing? Maybe they did think DDOS, Jon, though that would be really dumb to not check on when selling a next gen console.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2020, 07:33 AM   #733
Kodos
Resident Alien

I always figure it’s good to let them work out the kinks on a new console before purchasing one.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #734
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Usually I wouldn't either, but my last 3 consoles are:

1) Nintendo Switch (at launch)
2) Nintendo Wii U
3) Xbox 360

My PC is a Surface Pro 4.

So I'm due for something new .

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-17-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:58 AM   #735
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sometimes new electronics are required!
Old 09-18-2020, 01:49 PM   #736
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Managed to snag a pre-order for PS5 on Wal-Mart yesterday. Once I got the pre-order button, I just kept smashing 'complete order' until it took it. Dumb luck, but it worked.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:02 PM   #737
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is MLB The Show 20 worth it? On sale for $41.99. PS4 if that matters.

Last edited by Lathum : 09-18-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:08 PM   #738
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Yes. It's the main reason I always get a PS system. Love the Road to the Show mode.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #739
Bee
Pro Starter

Isn't the Sony exclusivity on MLB the Show going away next year?
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:29 PM   #740
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yes. It's the main reason I always get a PS system. Love the Road to the Show mode.

Second that, best sports game out there IMO
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #741
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
Isn't the Sony exclusivity on MLB the Show going away next year?

Yes and no. Sony is going to start putting it on other systems (they can do it because it's clearly superior to any baseball game on other systems/PC), but they own the franchise, so you can guarantee that they're going to make sure the PS version is the best option.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:11 AM   #742
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well this was quite the announcement the day before Xbox Series X/S Preorders were going to go live:

Welcoming the Talented Teams and Beloved Game Franchises of Bethesda to Xbox - Xbox Wire

Quote:
We are thrilled to announce Microsoft has entered into an agreement to acquire ZeniMax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks.

Probably won't have a ton of effects for the next 2-3 years, but imagine Elder Scrolls 6 and the next Doom being Xbox console exclusives. Wow!

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-21-2020 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #743
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

You almost get the impression that Microsoft was like "well, we lined up a bunch of financing for TikTok so let's use that cash somewhere else" like someone who had a few bucks in their pocket and was just looking to spend it

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #744
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I actually think MS was thinking of buying BOTH. Bethesda was due to all the Xbox has no games memes, I'm sure - with polling showing most gamers were going for PS5 over XSX this generation.

Sometimes we forget just how much money Apple, Google, and Microsoft have.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:39 AM   #745
Edward64
Head Coach

It could go either way but am cautiously optimistic. Hopefully Bethesda will churn out more great games (and faster).
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #746
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
It could go either way but am cautiously optimistic. Hopefully Bethesda will churn out more great games (and faster).

The obvious push/pull is value of exclusivity vs recouping the investment. My bet is on the latter with, at most, a limited time exclusivity on the main titles.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #747
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

There is definitely going to be at least a limited time exclusivity. They have to leverage the deal to sell more XSX and XSS and Gamepass subscriptions. One way to do that is to have these big games come to PS5 a year later (at least).
Old 09-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #748
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There is definitely going to be at least a limited time exclusivity. They have to leverage the deal to sell more XSX and XSS and Gamepass subscriptions. One way to do that is to have these big games come to PS5 a year later (at least).

$7B is a fair bit of change. The patience for recouping the cost will be, IMO, more limited than one might expect.

I'd be genuinely surprised if exclusivity went past 6 months on anything, and only that for the creme de la creme titles.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #749
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
$7B is a fair bit of change. The patience for recouping the cost will be, IMO, more limited than one might expect.

I'd be genuinely surprised if exclusivity went past 6 months on anything, and only that for the creme de la creme titles.

Wouldn't selling consoles and subscription services help make up that money far better?

A lot of people are using the $7B as a reason that MS won't bring games to PS - because they spent that money for a reason.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #750
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wouldn't selling consoles and subscription services help make up that money far better?

A lot of people are using the $7B as a reason that MS won't bring games to PS - because they spent that money for a reason.

Why? Because they had it.

The thing is, if we are (as everything I've seen today suggests) still at least two years away from that deal producing a game of consequence (i.e. the next Elder Scrolls) then how many consoles does the deal actually sell?

It's one thing to say "oh, I'll have to have that for sure" but another thing for most people to say "I'm not gonna buy a next gen console for two years while waiting for THAT game"

It may be a push toward increasing the number of multiple system households but damn that's a long time to show ROI.