Pro Starter

Dola, and probably the biggest crowd I played in front of
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:40 PM   #6602
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post

FWIW (and I might have mentioned this before) one of my best memories is on a stag weekend in Amsterdam (stay with me) on the last day we played football on a park somewhere in the city, and a proper crowd gathered around us - literally must have been 100 or more.

Now I doubt that was because of our skill, but there was something there that people wanted to watch us play because of our passion, commitment, or just were confused by a group of hungover Brits wanting to win at all costs, but I genuinely felt a little love from the Dutch that morning

I loved Amsterdam too. We did the stupid American thing and exceeded our abilities at a "coffee shop", took in the free boozy happy hour at the hotel suite floor lounge we paid for with points, had the paranoid feeling we didn't really belong, the goods kicked in, we fled and took a nap in the room and were awoken by turndown service, and in that moment, I thought days had passed and we missed our flight. I scrambled for my phone to figure out what day it was. it had been about 45 minutes.

Last edited by molson : 10-16-2020 at 07:40 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:22 PM   #6603
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I love the use of the phrase "exceeded our abilities"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #6604
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Thanks for the clarification - ‘There is no Europe’ had so many possibilities. We’re impotent atm unfortunately, hamstrung by our government and the EU desire to stay strong, but come on over, we’re not so bad

FWIW (and I might have mentioned this before) one of my best memories is on a stag weekend in Amsterdam (stay with me) on the last day we played football on a park somewhere in the city, and a proper crowd gathered around us - literally must have been 100 or more.

Now I doubt that was because of our skill, but there was something there that people wanted to watch us play because of our passion, commitment, or just were confused by a group of hungover Brits wanting to win at all costs, but I genuinely felt a little love from the Dutch that morning
Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I loved Amsterdam too. We did the stupid American thing and exceeded our abilities at a "coffee shop", took in the free boozy happy hour at the hotel suite floor lounge we paid for with points, had the paranoid feeling we didn't really belong, the goods kicked in, we fled and took a nap in the room and were awoken by turndown service, and in that moment, I thought days had passed and we missed our flight. I scrambled for my phone to figure out what day it was. it had been about 45 minutes.
Ok, can we stop right there? This thread is depressing enough without stories about the dark side of Amsterdam. The only thing I liked to do there was going to Amsterdam Admirals games. It wasn't NFL caliber football, fans of the NY Jets might disagree, but at least it was football.

On the bright side, we actually shifted away from the depressing topic. So yes, that was good for a smile.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 09:23 AM   #6605
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Ok, can we stop right there? This thread is depressing enough without stories about the dark side of Amsterdam. The only thing I liked to do there was going to Amsterdam Admirals games. It wasn't NFL caliber football, fans of the NY Jets might disagree, but at least it was football.

On the bright side, we actually shifted away from the depressing topic. So yes, that was good for a smile.

I have never seen the dark side of Amsterdam. I have to check that side out next time we go.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #6606
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't feel/see the effects of a second wave but that is comparing it to first wave effects, symptoms etc.

My guess is fatigue, little talk of lockdown, many businesses have learn how to do remote, no shortages at Krogers, restaurants being open for take out, less unknowns (and dread) than before etc. This second wave will become obvious by increased # of infections reported in MSM but albeit a lower death rate.

So second wave for # infected but my guess is, other than for that metric and assuming some stimulus in next 2-3 months, not as bad as Apr-Jun.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/19/healt...day/index.html
Quote:
Covid-19 cases continue to soar across the country and one top infectious disease expert warned Americans that the next few months will be the "darkest of the pandemic."

Health experts say the predicted fall surge is here, and rising cases across the US appear to bear that out. The US is averaging more than 55,000 new cases a day, and 10 states reported their highest single-day case counts on Friday. At least 27 states are showing an upward trend in the number of cases reported, according to a CNN analysis of data from Johns Hopkins University.

"The next six to 12 weeks are going to be the darkest of the entire pandemic," Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, told NBC's"Meet the Press" on Sunday.

Osterholm highlighted the 70,000 cases of Covid-19 reported on Friday, which matched the largest number seen during the peak of the pandemic. Between now and the holidays, the US will see numbers "much, much larger than even the 67 to 75,000 cases," he said.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-19-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:06 PM   #6607
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I have never seen the dark side of Amsterdam. I have to check that side out next time we go.

If the dark side of Amsterdam is playing football in the park, I think you’ll be disappointed!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:08 PM   #6608
Thomkal
Head Coach

People and businesses seem to be tiring of mask mandates, at least at one of my local Walmarts. Still required to wear one in, but no one at the door watching, and quite a few people with a mask or taking them off when they get inside.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #6609
JPhillips
General Manager

Got a test today so I could go back to work next week. According to the nurse, we're back up to 5-6% positivity after being below 1% for a while.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:17 PM   #6610
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Honestly, seeing today's stories that the next 2-3 months will be the worst part of the pandemic... is not very good for my mental state.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:44 PM   #6611
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
People and businesses seem to be tiring of mask mandates, at least at one of my local Walmarts. Still required to wear one in, but no one at the door watching, and quite a few people with a mask or taking them off when they get inside.

I was back in Blue Ridge today and very few of the places are enforcing the mask mandate (they say masks required, but most people were not entering with masks). Somebody told me that he read masks actually make you sicker because you don't get exposed to germs, like kids at daycare. I told him, next time he goes in for surgery, let the surgeon know that he doesn't need to gown and mask up so his immune system could get a boost. He was very confused.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:52 PM   #6612
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Thanks for the advice, but the only person I trust in a situation like this is the My Pillow guy.

Is agitation a symptom of covid? I feel like going out and step-mom someone's throat for no real justifiable reason.

Also another person at my work may have caught the covids and a large part of their work has fallen to me.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #6613
Edward64
Head Coach

Seems as if we were in the 40K daily new for the longest time. Easily past it now. Hope the damn vaccine(s) get here soon to complement the (seemingly) better treatments/therapeutics.

I really want to plan on some sort of travel next summer.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/24/healt...day/index.html
Quote:
The US just marked a harrowing milestone: It recorded its highest one-day number of Covid-19 infections Friday at more than 83,000 -- more than 6,000 higher than the country's previous record set in July.

And as the fall surge continues, the daily numbers will get worse, experts warn.

"We easily will hit six-figure numbers in terms of the number of cases," Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, told CNN Friday night. "And the deaths are going to go up precipitously in the next three to four weeks, following usually new cases by about two to three weeks."

This comes as the country's seven-day average of new daily cases surpassed 63,000 Friday -- an 84% increase since the average started ticking back up in mid-September, according to Johns Hopkins University data.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #6614
molson
General Manager

One glimmer of hope is that while cases have been increasing in the U.S. for 6 weeks, and in some cases, longer in Europe, the death rates haven't tracked the same. In Italy for example, their daily new cases are now almost triple what they were when they got hammered in March, but the daily deaths are 10% what they were. Other countries are showing similar patterns.

That could be some combination of more testing, better treatments, hospitals learning how to deal with this, or, COVID is evolving to be more contagious and less deadly, like many viruses do.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #6615
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
One glimmer of hope is that while cases have been increasing in the U.S. for 6 weeks, and in some cases, longer in Europe, the death rates haven't tracked the same. In Italy for example, their daily new cases are now almost triple what they were when they got hammered in March, but the daily deaths are 10% what they were. Other countries are showing similar patterns.

That could be some combination of more testing, better treatments, hospitals learning how to deal with this, or, COVID is evolving to be more contagious and less deadly, like many viruses do.

It's also a simple case of the considerable delay between case reporting and death reporting. Look at cases 3 weeks ago and those are roughly those you see as deaths today on average. This was the exact pattern in the US over the summer.

There is also always a difference between cases slightly increasing over time and what is happening now. Usually an explosion follows a gradual rise or a plateau. The US was at or under 45k as a 7 day average from Aug 20 to Oct 6th. So there's no reason for deaths to have risen much yet from the current surge (although i would not call a 15% increase over the last week nothing).

Of course testing was nonexistant in March, that's why you had 30-50 % positive rate and 'only' 10 now. 18k cases aren't as bad as 7 in spring, absolutely, no question. For all the reason you list* + this time it starting in younger people, more barriers build up between generations even outside care settings (of course people are more carefull with older relatives for example).

But at the same time, there's a breaking point where the odds of older people getting it surpass the increased caution and where the sheer number of infections counteract any gains on a case by case basis. Remember it gained a foothold in mid february (earlier individual cases notwithstanding) and from mid/late march it was in sharp decline from measures taken and the weather turning (people outside vs inside is the single biggest factor). That's essentially 1 month of buildup. Now we are staring at a massive buildup in October with 3-4 months of winter ahead and everybody trying to rightfully prevent/avoid doing lockdowns.

And when i see France at 40k cases, very few of them get results in a timely manner, i am unfortunately very sure their 200-300 deaths will turn to much worse much worse before long. Because those deaths are from the first jump from 3 to 10k-12k cases in September. Since early October it has now risen to 30k average and climbing.

The Czech Republic is currently at the population adjusted equivalent of 600 deaths in Italy or France and it has doubled within 1 week. Cas es went from 500 to 2000 in September, already from 2k to 11k in October. This sort of exponential rise is where things get messy and you are really only measuring data, not using it (f.e. to quarantine contacts).

I am not trying to be bleak, but i see very little reason not to be extremely on edge and hope the people in charge are too.

*It has nothing to do with the Virus, that's not substantiated by anything really other than "well, could't that happen ?". The whole theory is based on there being a somewhat notable mutation becoming the dominant group of strains, replacing the initial ones. But this actually happened in February/early March, not anytime recently. This D614G mutation was almost exclusively present in samples/cases before we got to March in both Italy and New York for example.
It might well have made it a bit less deadly and spread easier, but it has already been in place when the tragedy happened in the spring.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 10-24-2020 at 11:39 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:16 PM   #6616
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So I went to Krogers in my half doctor's plague mask and some woman asked to take my picture.

I almost feel like a celebrity.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:24 PM   #6617
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So I went to Krogers in my half doctor's plague mask and some woman asked to take my picture.

I almost feel like a celebrity.

Went to Kroger's today, everyone was wearing masks.

Also went to Academy Sports, and maybe 50% were wearing masks. Not going to support Academy Sports anymore.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #6618
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Went to Kroger's today, everyone was wearing masks.

Also went to Academy Sports, and maybe 50% were wearing masks. Not going to support Academy Sports anymore.

It has been really interesting to see which stores/businesses are operating with a "the Governor says you should wear a mask, but, whatever, we're not your Dad" vibe and the ones operating with a "we don't want to get sick, so you are not allowed in here without a mask. Curbside delivery is VERY available" vibe.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #6619
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

I'm a liberal who loves good BBQ, so I don't do the whole "boycott places that don't agree with my politics" thing.

But I have been avoiding places that are lax on mask compliance b/c that's not a political thing. That's a don't make me sick thing.

Once this is all behind us, I'll be happy to go back and start getting good BBQ again.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:29 PM   #6620
JPhillips
General Manager

Pence's chief of staff and at least two other staff members are positive.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:48 AM   #6621
JPhillips
General Manager

Now a total of five in Pence's staff. Pence himself has decided to continue on as he's an essential employee.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #6622
whomario
Pro Starter

France reporting 523 deaths today (a casual 30% of the average 'normal' deaths on a day in France) after 260 last tuesday. And that's still from comparatively modest transmission Levels 2-3 weeks ago. Those tripled since then ...

Even here in Germany it would take just 4 more weeks of current trend to overwhelm hospital and ICU capacity (not even considering acompanying personnel shortages and regional bottlenecks) and we only have the bloody most of them per capita in the world and still a considerably lower trajectory in cases and lower positivity rate with better testing/isolation. So yeah, this will get much worse before it gets better ... Again, people are still trying by and large but this thing is just a nightmare to prevent unless people interact much less with others unfortunately. Hope it was mainly a case of being blindsided of it starting so early combined with wishfull thinking and societies turn that corner now and officials keep hammering home the point ... Hate to see any closures, but unless people reduce private and office contacts massively for at least a couple weeks i'm at a loss to the alternatives to at least some, especially of the social variety (bars for one, social clubs/societies/sports for another. Sucks massively but least costly economically)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 10-27-2020 at 08:27 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:07 PM   #6623
tarcone
Coordinator

Hospitals around the St Louis area are at over 90% capacity. Making things difficult for them and anyone who may need to go to the hospital.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:24 PM   #6624
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well I tested negative. I was surprised at how quick it was. I did the drive thru testing at walgreens and I've spent longer times in Taco Bell drive thrus. It only took two hours to get the results back as well.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #6625
JPhillips
General Manager

Waiting for a colleague's testing. If it's positive, then I was probably exposed.

Barf.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #6626
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ugh. Hope they come back negative.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #6627
Thomkal
Head Coach

Oh man JP, hope it comes back negative.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #6628
spleen1015
Coordinator

Good luck JP.

My sister was exposed, again this week at work. She works with some dumbasses. Girl came into work 3 days in a row with a fever. Didn't tell anyone. Someone noticed she looked bad the 3rd day, she told them thinking they wouldn't snitch. They snitched. Girl had to get tested. Positive.
Old 10-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #6629
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Good luck JP.

My sister was exposed, again this week at work. She works with some dumbasses. Girl came into work 3 days in a row with a fever. Didn't tell anyone. Someone noticed she looked bad the 3rd day, she told them thinking they wouldn't snitch. They snitched. Girl had to get tested. Positive.

I hope she was fired also
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #6630
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Looks like I will be getting tested soon; no known exposure, but I've got a fever and the doc wants to rule it out. No other symptoms at all, so I'm hopeful this is just a "check the box" sort of test.

Weird being sick when you have an infant. Hard to believe I haven't already exposed her, to be honest.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:53 AM   #6631
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Looks like I will be getting tested soon; no known exposure, but I've got a fever and the doc wants to rule it out. No other symptoms at all, so I'm hopeful this is just a "check the box" sort of test.

Weird being sick when you have an infant. Hard to believe I haven't already exposed her, to be honest.

Prayers, man.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #6632
Thomkal
Head Coach

Hoping everything is okay Vince!
Old 10-30-2020, 08:32 PM   #6633
Galaril
Pro Starter

Good luck Vince
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 09:15 PM   #6634
JPhillips
General Manager

Feel fine and no news tonight. I'm more concerned about my colleague that is 65+ with some health problems.

Good luck Vince.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:26 PM   #6635
Edward64
Head Coach

Best wishes to everyone. Hoping for the best.
Old 10-30-2020, 10:46 PM   #6636
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good luck, Vince!
Old 10-31-2020, 09:31 AM   #6637
spleen1015
Coordinator

My daughter's hitting coach is confirmed positive this morning. She hit with him on Monday, he started showing symptoms on Tuesday.

So, off we go to get tested today!
Old 10-31-2020, 12:18 PM   #6638
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So, in good news, I'm negative. In bad news, the fever is due to an abscess, and I'm getting prepped for inpatient surgery now. Sounds like prognosis is great and it's a simple procedure, but the recovery sounds awful.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:32 PM   #6639
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
So, in good news, I'm negative. In bad news, the fever is due to an abscess, and I'm getting prepped for inpatient surgery now. Sounds like prognosis is great and it's a simple procedure, but the recovery sounds awful.

Good luck.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:38 PM   #6640
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Good luck, Vince.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:43 PM   #6641
spleen1015
Coordinator

Good luck homie.
Old 10-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #6642
Ironhead
College Prospect

Tons of people out trick or treating today in large groups. Seeing very few facemasks. We decided not to participate this year which really sucks because I look forward to Halloween every year. Doing so this year just seems insane but people seem desperate for normalcy regardless of the consequences.

Last edited by Ironhead : 10-31-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 03:30 PM   #6643
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Tons a of people out trick or treating today in large groups. Seeing very few facemasks. We decided not to participate this year which really sucks because I look forward to Halloween every year. Doing so this year just seems insane but people seem desperate for normalcy regardless of the consequences.

I suspect there will be a lot of maskless Trick or Treaters. We decided to put a a bowl out with candy and a Happy Halloween sign just past our front steps. We won't be answering the front door. Sad but makes it a little safer for Trick or Treating
Old 10-31-2020, 04:40 PM   #6644
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I suspect there will be a lot of maskless Trick or Treaters. We decided to put a a bowl out with candy and a Happy Halloween sign just past our front steps. We won't be answering the front door. Sad but makes it a little safer for Trick or Treating

We decided to do the same.

I did tell my wife not to put it all out at one time (in case there are some assholes) so we'll be checking and refilling as needed.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:48 PM   #6645
Edward64
Head Coach

UK entering a second lockdown for a month but tbh, it doesn't sound like a real lock down.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/31/europ...ntl/index.html
Quote:
England will enter a second national lockdown in the coming days, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced. The decision came hours after the UK passed the grim milestone of one million coronavirus cases.

The month-long shutdown will come into effect from Thursday after a parliamentary vote early next week, Johnson said during a news conference on Saturday evening.

"We must act now to contain the autumn surge," he said.
:
The strict lockdown will see the closure of pubs, restaurants and non-essential businesses, including hair salons and gyms. Schools, universities and playgrounds will stay open.

People will only be able to leave their homes for specific reasons: education, work (if they are unable to work from home), to shop for food, for health reasons, or for exercise and recreation outdoors, either with that person's household or with one person from another household.
:
The new shutdown will remain in place until December 2, at which point Johnson hopes the virus will be sufficiently under control to enable England to tackle the virus, once again, on a region-by-region basis.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:35 PM   #6646
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Thanks for the well-wishes folks. Looks like surgery was a success, now for the much less exciting recovery.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:39 PM   #6647
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

We’re really doing nothing much different from last year, just sitting a bit farther from the table.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:46 PM   #6648
JPhillips
General Manager

My wife rigged a PVC pipe to our steps railing so we could put the candy in the pipe and let it slide to the kids.

We only got 5 kids, but that was 5 more than last year!
Old 10-31-2020, 05:50 PM   #6649
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

We built a candy catapult for the drive way. We're having my son and a few of his D&D crew man the catapult for trick or treaters that venture out.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 05:52 PM   #6650
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
We built a candy catapult for the drive way. We're having my son and a few of his D&D crew man the catapult for trick or treaters that venture out.

That is cool. Take a pic and share it!