Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2020, 11:21 AM   #801
miami_fan
Coordinator

MLS postponed for 30 days; USMNT USWNT friendlies canceled
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:21 AM   #802
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Big 12 just cancelled their tournament. I'd be surprised if the NCAA doesn't soon call off the tournament.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #803
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There’s no way the NCAA tournament goes on.

I suppose they could screen every player and lock them down on a secure site and play out all 63-65 games over the course of a week. That would be cool and a logistical nightmare.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:23 AM   #804
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The Big 10, SEC and American conferences just cancelled theirs as well. This isn't look good for March Madness
Old 03-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #805
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

I'm glad that happened. Atlanta United had a home game scheduled for Saturday, and I was 90% on the side of not going (of course last week I was one of almost 70k at the home opener... doh).
Old 03-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #806
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
NHL has now announced a suspension.

edit: well I guess not officially. But refs/game officials who are traveling have been instructed to return home

edit2: the suspension is now official
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 03-12-2020 at 12:34 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:38 AM   #807
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well Georgia just announced its first death from COVID-19
Old 03-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #808
JPhillips
General Manager

Trudeau and his wife in self quarantine.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #809
stevew
Hall Of Famer

the movie "Outbreak" is #6 on Netflix today.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #810
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Trudeau and his wife in self quarantine.
Not that these two fit the demographic, but with the typical age of legislators and executive branch leadership, given the stress they deal with, lack of sleep from travel, etc, it seems almost inevitable that at least one high-ranking official from the US or close ally is going to die from this, no?
Old 03-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #811
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Not that these two fit the demographic, but with the typical age of legislators and executive branch leadership, given the stress they deal with, lack of sleep from travel, etc, it seems almost inevitable that at least one high-ranking official from the US or close ally is going to die from this, no?

That seems likely, yes.

It's dawning on the political class less "well known" as well... I work in public policy, and the likelihood of multiple people I know professionally dying from this seems very real.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #812
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

We now have photographic evidence that Trump interacted with a positive case, but his narcissism will keep him from self quarantining. Sen. Scott did the right thing and announced he's in isolation after meeting the Brazilian last weekend.

Our big problem is the percentage of GOPers that still think this is no big deal. It may take high profile deaths to change that.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #813
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
the movie "Outbreak" is #6 on Netflix today.

"Contagion" has been #1 on streaming sites for weeks.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #814
spleen1015
Coordinator

See tweets that Duke has removed itself from the NCAA tournament. Looks like they are pushing the NCAA's hand into cancelling.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #815
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
See tweets that Duke has removed itself from the NCAA tournament. Looks like they are pushing the NCAA's hand into cancelling.

Give the title to us! It will give the NCAA something to take away after the investigation.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #816
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Police in riot gear clear street after crowd reported on UD campus
Old 03-12-2020, 01:05 PM   #817
JPhillips
General Manager

Brazil's Bolsonaro now confirmed positive.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:14 PM   #818
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I’ve been following Minnesota’s Department of Health website the past few days. They have a running count of number of people infected and approximately how many tests they’ve administered. In case anyone was curious, it went from 3 and 133, to 5 and 225, to 9 and 316. So approximately 90 tests per day in our state at the moment.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #819
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Kansas just announced they are out. Game over.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #820
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Our big problem is the percentage of GOPers that still think this is no big deal. It may take high profile deaths to change that.
And especially the elderly, some of whom ONLY trust Fox News and Trump.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #821
molson
General Manager

A lot of big movie premieres, like Quiet Place 2 and the new James Bond movie are being postponed.

I'll keep going to the movies (as long as they're open), I tend to go at times I'm not sitting near anyone anyway. I'm curious to see how Regal will fill out the schedule or if they'll just reduce screenings.

Last edited by molson : 03-12-2020 at 01:28 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #822
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
That seems likely, yes.

It's dawning on the political class less "well known" as well... I work in public policy, and the likelihood of multiple people I know professionally dying from this seems very real.
Ugh.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:07 PM   #823
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Give the title to us! It will give the NCAA something to take away after the investigation.

SI

Oh HELL NO! We get the title because we've actually qualified for the tournament with wins!!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #824
JPhillips
General Manager

Multiple positives now here in Newburgh.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #825
JPhillips
General Manager

MLB postpones opening by at least 2 weeks and cancels the rest of Spring training.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:35 PM   #826
Butter
Coordinator

Ohio closing schools for 3 weeks starting after end of school Monday, calling it extended spring break.

Health Dept. head said that there is evidence to support that "community spread" has reached 1% of the Ohio population, which would be 117,000 people.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:38 PM   #827
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Ohio closing schools for 3 weeks starting after end of school Monday, calling it extended spring break.

Health Dept. head said that there is evidence to support that "community spread" has reached 1% of the Ohio population, which would be 117,000 people.

A lot of parents at my work are not happy since they have to find a babysitter or miss work.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:43 PM   #828
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
A lot of parents at my work are not happy since they have to find a babysitter or miss work.

Our government had an extended PM’s press conference on all the major channels today, and made a good point about this: shutting schools could mean the emergency babysitter is the grandparents... which brings the most vulnerable group into contact with the least vulnerable group who also show (generally) mild or no symptoms.

I have to say i was quite impressed with the whole message BJ gave with his medical & science officers, both in content and tone.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #829
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Our government had an extended PM’s press conference on all the major channels today, and made a good point about this: shutting schools could mean the emergency babysitter is the grandparents... which brings the most vulnerable group into contact with the least vulnerable group who also show (generally) mild or no symptoms.

I have to say i was quite impressed with the whole message BJ gave with his medical & science officers, both in content and tone.
I heard another interesting point - 30% of all nurses are parents. With no school, nurses need to call off to stay with their kids. What would the impact of that be?
Old 03-12-2020, 02:49 PM   #830
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post

I wish I could be impressed with the message our head of government gave. At least Biden's message was good - unfortunately he can't yet do the things that would help the crisis.
Old 03-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #831
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp suggested (but not mandated) schools close for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. I work in Fulton County and they already closed schools on Tuesday and Wednesday. They re-opened today but it was already a planned teacher workday. Tomorrow is also a teacher workday. No announcement from Fulton yet on what they will do starting next week.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #832
QuikSand
lolzcat

Maryland is about to announce statewide school closings next week.

We have one non-travel-related case in the state, as of now. But the buzz is audible here in state politics.

Last edited by QuikSand : 03-12-2020 at 02:57 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #833
JPhillips
General Manager

There's good evidence from 1918 that early school closing really reduced transmission. It's a hard decision to make, but it probably needs to be done nation wide.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #834
tarcone
Coordinator

Talked to my doctor today. He said Im a healthy T1D. So I have no worries.

He did suggest not flying unless absolutely necessary. But I havemy Dads 90th birthday. So that seems absolutely necessary.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #835
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp suggested (but not mandated) schools close for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. I work in Fulton County and they already closed schools on Tuesday and Wednesday. They re-opened today but it was already a planned teacher workday. Tomorrow is also a teacher workday. No announcement from Fulton yet on what they will do starting next week.

My wife is a teacher and just got an email stating an announcement would be made soon.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:23 PM   #836
JPhillips
General Manager

Lindsay Graham now self quarantining.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:25 PM   #837
Ben E Lou

Quote:
There's good evidence from 1918 that early school closing really reduced transmission. It's a hard decision to make, but it probably needs to be done nation wide.
Elementary schools in particular seem to be obvious places where viruses are freely spread. Easy for me to say, as it would be only a minor disruption for us because I work from home and my kids are old enough that all I have to do is feed 'em lunch and they'll handle the rest. That said, I watched my next-door neighbors' kids (ages 7 and 9) jump straight out of their mom's car--directly after having spent that last 6 hours in a building with 800ish other children--and run go hug and kiss their 68-year-old grandmother who had just driven up at their house. That seems pretty dangerous in this situation.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-12-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:28 PM   #838
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
A lot of big movie premieres, like Quiet Place 2 and the new James Bond movie are being postponed.

I'll keep going to the movies (as long as they're open), I tend to go at times I'm not sitting near anyone anyway. I'm curious to see how Regal will fill out the schedule or if they'll just reduce screenings.

I'm good just as long as they don't delay Top Gun 2.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #839
tarcone
Coordinator

School age kids are the carriers. And the problem is when they go hone where grandma is raising them and give it to grandma and it kills grandma. Who raises the kid then?

Shutting schools is a very smart move.

Last edited by tarcone : 03-12-2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:35 PM   #840
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
My wife is a teacher and just got an email stating an announcement would be made soon.

Can you update me as soon as she gets word? I'm a student teacher and don't have access to county announcements.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:36 PM   #841
miami_fan
Coordinator

This is going to be a problem, no?

JetBlue passenger tested positive for coronavirus before taking flight

I thought the people who were being tested showed symptoms and were quarantined? I would be so pissed if I traveled for work and ended up stuck in a hotel room for 14 days.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #842
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Why would you get on a plane?

It takes 24 hours for some tests to get a result. So they could have let him go and called him with the results... but in that case.. WHY GET ON A PLANE!
Old 03-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #843
molson
General Manager

And down goes Disneyland..

We were scheduled to go next week. I assumed it wasn't happening but am glad I have no choice. The thought of a ghost town Disneyland was a little tempting...

Last edited by molson : 03-12-2020 at 03:41 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #844
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Can you update me as soon as she gets word? I'm a student teacher and don't have access to county announcements.

Will do although I've heard nothing yet. Seemed dumb to send an email saying "hey, we'll send an email later."
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:44 PM   #845
miked
College Starter

Quote:

I'm in Dekalb, so the only thing that matters is who paid the BOE members more.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:47 PM   #846
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Looks like there's going to be an emergency school board meeting (by phone) at 530pm tonight.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:49 PM   #847
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm guessing all schools around the country will be closed soon. I know that helped a lot with the Spanish Flu. I guess the twist is that this virus doesn't seem to really be hitting kids.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:50 PM   #848
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
And down goes Disneyland..

We were scheduled to go next week. I assumed it wasn't happening but am glad I have no choice. The thought of a ghost town Disneyland was a little tempting...

Good. Now that we are done with all the mass sporting events, let's get back to the important stuff like toilet paper

I like Fauci. He is telling it the way he believes it regardless of whether Trump reams him or not. Keep at it, don't worry about a job, regardless of what Trump says to you, odds are looking good you'll have one in Jan 2021. He's my early favorite for Time Person of the Year so far.

Trump - this is a loss for you. Few will blame you for the coronavirus and early mis-steps are somewhat understandable, but your administration's current response (including you) is pretty underwhelming.

Joe - not sure if its a win for you yet, but looks like you have something to play with for the next 8 months.

Bernie - one more debate (because I want to see Biden one-on-one anyway), but then please do the right thing.

Stock Market - you do you. It'll get worse before getting better but I know it'll get better so get it all out and let's do another great bull run.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-12-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:54 PM   #849
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'm guessing all schools around the country will be closed soon. I know that helped a lot with the Spanish Flu. I guess the twist is that this virus doesn't seem to really be hitting kids.

Like I said earlier, they are the carriers. That si the problem, they wont show the symptoms and take it home and get someone sick who ends up dying.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:57 PM   #850
RainMaker
General Manager

The numbers out of Italy are downright scary. I know it's an older population but their death rate is over 5%.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote