Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #1051
Kodos
Resident Alien

Of course IU gets left out of the major bowls. Fuck this. We lost to the #2 team by one touchdown. Tell me we wouldn’t be in a New Year’s 6 bowl if our name was Penn State or Michigan or Michigan State. All of whom we beat.

https://www.thehoosiernetwork.com/20...-like-indiana/

Last edited by Kodos : 12-20-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #1052
Edward64
Head Coach

TCU vs Hogs at the Texas Bowl on Dec 31.

We don't deserve it but ain't gonna complain.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:52 PM   #1053
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Of course IU gets left out of the major bowls. Fuck this. We lost to the #2 team by one touchdown. Tell me we wouldn’t be in a New Year’s 6 bowl if our name was Penn State or Michigan or Michigan State. All of whom we beat.

Gonzalez: The College Football Playoff is slowly ruining it all for teams like Indiana - The Hoosier Network

Let's see, how possible would it be.

Rose
Sugar
Cotton
Fiesta
Orange
Peach

There's 12 spots available:

Playoff teams take up four (and this year cause Rose & Sugar contract teams to be in play). So Bama,Clemson, Ohio State and Notre Dame are in.

All displaced conference champions and the highest‐ranked champion from a non‐contract conference, as ranked by the committee, will participate in selected other bowl games and will be assigned to those games by the committee.

(Note: A “displaced conference champion” is a champion of a contract conference that does not qualify for the playoff in a year when its contract bowl hosts a semifinal game.)

"Displaced champions" (contract bowl champs that don't make playoff) take up two slots. That gets Oklahoma and Oregon in.

Highest non P5 is in, so Cincinnati is covered.

ACC highest available is contracted to the Orange so UNC is in.

That brings us to 8 in, 4 spots to fill

If berths in the selected other bowl games remain available after those teams have been identified, the highest‐ranked other teams, as ranked by the committee, will fill those berths in rank order.

That accounts for A&M, Florida, Georgia, and Iowa State .. and the field is filled.

The 2 main voter polls have IU ahead of Iowa State. Checking a handful of computer ratings it's more split, with ISU being loved by some, IU slightly ahead in others. Worth noting that the aggregate of 38 national recognized polls has the B1G as 5th conference overall, the B12 as #1 overall.

Would the committee have moved up a bigger name? Possibly.
Or did the committee decide to throw the extra slot to the B12 since they didn't get a playoff spot?

The world will never know.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:04 PM   #1054
Kodos
Resident Alien

Don’t forget that by the rules in place at the start of the season, IU should have been in the Big Ten championship game, not OSU. But of course the rule was changed to benefit OSU and hurt IU. Otherwise, we might well be Big Ten champs and have that supporting a berth in one of the bigger bowls. I realize we wouldn’t be in the CFP in any case. It just sucks when your conference intervenes and then teams with worse losses (or multiple losses) get better bowls.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #1055
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Don’t forget that by the rules in place at the start of the season, IU should have been in the Big Ten championship game, not OSU. But of course the rule was changed to benefit OSU and hurt IU. Otherwise, we might well be Big Ten champs and have that supporting a berth in one of the bigger bowls. I realize we wouldn’t be in the CFP in any case. It just sucks when your conference intervenes and then teams with worse losses (or multiple losses) get better bowls.

But that requires the conference to have a speck of integrity. That ain't happening.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:14 PM   #1056
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I am a lifelong ND along with Air Force (AFA alum) and think ND does not deserve it unless the game is super close. I now am finally wondering if Kelly gets canned if as I suspect ND gets boat raced in this game and in another CFP game? I mean if you can’t consistently compete against the “Big southern teams” you need to go ? I am tired of the ND softness as a longtime fan. I hope they come back and don’t get embarrassed but I am having flashbacks to the ND-Alabama BCS game from 2012. As usual ND is playing scared and seem totally mentally unprepared.
Quote:
Yes I agree and it use to be ND fans complain people would be like oh poor you and I still appreciate that point since ND is a elitist level school that is annoying I agree at times. But seriously if they can’t compete how the hell can a Cincy or someone like Coastal Carolina etc.
Maybe I am missing the point in my 50s that college football is not about parity but frankly what school has the best weather, trendiest star coach and hottest girls? Do I blame a 17 year old star wideout for choosing Miami over South Bend and what comes with it- nope.
Quote:
What a joke this ND program is for what they spend on it and assume about themselves. If I was the ACC I ask ND to stay so FSU and Clemson can whoop there asses every year. Really completely outclassed and falls on the coach totally.
This is legitimately delusional talk. ND will finish top 12 for the 5th time in 6 seasons, is firmly entrenched in that 2nd tier behind the big 3, and outside of the '88-'93 stretch under Holtz is having by far it's most successful run since the mid 1970's. And you want to blow it up and fire BK so we can maybe reach the heights that Miami (who hasn't finished in the top 12 since 2005) or Florida Fucking State are at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
There's such a gap between the Big 3 programs and the rest of the country. The only program that can close that gap right now is Georgia.
Well I'd say LSU and Auburn and Oregon show you can have that one year, but yeah we're right in the top of that 2nd tier behind maybe just Oklahoma & Georgia? Last night sucked in some ways, we're clearly underdogs vs Bama in 2 weeks, but Urban Meyer isn't walking through that door & I'd 100% take this over 9-3 or whatever it is that places like Michigan, Texas & USC are going through.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #1057
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I also get why people are less than enthused about ND being in, but seriously Texas A&M is the hill they want to take a stand on? I would take that banged up Clemson team ND beat over Florida, and I would take the UNC one that ND soundly defeated over an Auburn team that was bad enough boosters scrounged up $21 million to fire the coach who led them to two title games.

ND wasn't just the 4th most deserving team over A&M, they were actually the 3rd most deserving team over Ohio State who really is there only due to (a well deserved) reputation. (Though I'm also very on board putting the Buckeyes #3 and avoiding a semifinal rubber match.)
Old 12-22-2020, 06:04 AM   #1058
tarcone
Coordinator

Looks like Iowa will not be playing a bowl game. Not on the books yet, but very doubtful.

6 coaches including KF, as well as multiple players, are positive with covid.

Plus 2 are considering opting opting out. Which I would assume would be Gholston and Nixon, are 2 B1G 1st team D linemen.

8 days until the game. Iowa has paused work outs. No time to prepare.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 12-22-2020 at 06:05 AM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:12 AM   #1059
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I also get why people are less than enthused about ND being in, but seriously Texas A&M is the hill they want to take a stand on? I would take that banged up Clemson team ND beat over Florida, and I would take the UNC one that ND soundly defeated over an Auburn team that was bad enough boosters scrounged up $21 million to fire the coach who led them to two title games.

ND wasn't just the 4th most deserving team over A&M, they were actually the 3rd most deserving team over Ohio State who really is there only due to (a well deserved) reputation. (Though I'm also very on board putting the Buckeyes #3 and avoiding a semifinal rubber match.)

I actually agree about ND. But let's take OSU, should they be in and A&M out? They have prior years' creds but this year?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:25 AM   #1060
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Looks like Iowa will not be playing a bowl game. Not on the books yet, but very doubtful.

6 coaches including KF, as well as multiple players, are positive with covid.

Plus 2 are considering opting opting out. Which I would assume would be Gholston and Nixon, are 2 B1G 1st team D linemen.

8 days until the game. Iowa has paused work outs. No time to prepare.
That sucks.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:38 AM   #1061
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I actually agree about ND. But let's take OSU, should they be in and A&M out? They have prior years' creds but this year?

OSU Pros:

Conference Title
Undefeated
Would likely be favored by something like 10 against A&M
Didn't get blown out by 4 TDs

Texas A&M Pros:
Beat a three loss team that is vastly overrated
Played 3 more games
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #1062
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Iowa situation brings an interesting hypothetical to my mind

Given how Army slotted in to replace Tennessee in the Liberty -- tho there was talk briefly that Miss State might move up to the Liberty and open the Armed Forces slot for Army -- I wonder about replacements for other bowls.

There's a few games -- Gator & Outback bowls for example -- that are outside the New Years Six but are late enough that for a few more days at least, replacements would be possible on a timeline similar to what Army just had.

I wonder if the NCAA would even allow a team to play in two bowls in one year but, given the reduced schedules nearly all teams played, this might be the year it could have a shot.

Has anybody heard the possibility mentioned anywhere?
Old 12-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #1063
Swaggs
Coordinator

It is so odd not having a 3-5 week build up for bowls. Some of these games that were just announced are within the next 7 days, which is just crazy to me.

I wonder what the game plan is if one of the final four teams has a cover outbreak. It seems like it would be unfair for one finalist to have a game the week before the championship if the other advances due to a forfeit. Then again, maybe playing more recently is an advantage.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:45 AM   #1064
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
It is so odd not having a 3-5 week build up for bowls. Some of these games that were just announced are within the next 7 days, which is just crazy to me.

I wonder what the game plan is if one of the final four teams has a cover outbreak. It seems like it would be unfair for one finalist to have a game the week before the championship if the other advances due to a forfeit. Then again, maybe playing more recently is an advantage.

I saw this earlier, looks like they would postpone if needed:

HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:43 PM   #1065
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post

This was what made my question mention the bowls outside the New Years Six.
Seems as though those 6 have a plan at least. The others are what I got curious about (in part because I saw this plan mentioned)
Old 12-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #1066
tarcone
Coordinator

For your entertainment

Ballots of college football coaches on the Amway Coaches Poll panel

Old 12-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #1067
cuervo72
Head Coach

Amway? Well that's sure to lend legitimacy to things!
Old 12-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #1068
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

More like get my blood pressure up again over Coastal's snub. Not even Clemson's coach put them higher than Iowa State.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #1069
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Amway? Well that's sure to lend legitimacy to things!

My SIL bought into the cult of Amway three years ago. It cleaned up her life, but it's scary as to the person she is right now.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:37 PM   #1070
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post

Just makes too much sense with the $$$ involved. Conspiracy theorists are welcome to their theories on what would happen if it was Cincinnati or Indiana in that top 4 with a Notre Dame or Ohio State waiting in the wings, but as much as A&M has a rabid alumni base that would pay exorbitant amounts for tickets they don't have a national fan base that would get TV ratings over any of the 4. (Plus, you know, they don't deserve it over any of them.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
HerRealName hit the head to head argument... I think if you buy into the argument Ohio State didn't play enough games, or that beating Indiana and Northwestern close as your best two wins probably isn't enough to be in the playoff, you should be arguing for Cincinnati over Texas A&M as #4.

I just genuinely don't get why anyone would argue for A&M outside of they play in the SEC and/or I hate Notre Dame/Ohio State/smaller schools. They got blown out by one really good team, they beat one solid one, they blew out 2 bad ones in South Carolina & Tennessee, and they had close wins vs a few other mediocre teams. If ND beat Vanderbilt 17-12 we wouldn't be hearing the end of it...
Old 12-23-2020, 08:00 AM   #1071
BYU 14
Coordinator

It was nice to watch a dominating win for BYU last night in a game that concerned me a bit, but a short handed BYU defense stepped up. Sadly, it also cemented Zach Wilson as the likely QB2, barring a big rebound from Fields in the CFP and erased any slim hope of him staying one more season.

I will leave this here for posterity though. Jacob Conover, who will still be a true freshman next season may end up being just as good. I watched a lot of all 22 film on him when he played HS ball here in Arizona and while not quite at Wilson's level in terms of arm strength, he processes the game every bit as quick and plays with a lot of poise. BYU may have restarted their QB factory going forward.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #1072
Butter
Coordinator

How are fans feeling about BYU's independence?
Old 12-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #1073
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
How are fans feeling about BYU's independence?

I think most all would prefer a P5 opportunity, but would rather remain independent over going back to a G5.

Personally, my first choice would be Big 12, but I think if BYU, Boise State and San Diego state joined the AAC for a 14 team East/West set up you could make a push for a 6th power conference with the success that programs like SMU, Cincinnati, UCF and Memphis have had over the years.

Edit - One cool thing is the variety of teams we get to play as an indy and the quality has been getting better. This years schedule was amazing before Covid

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-23-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #1074
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I think most all would prefer a P5 opportunity, but would rather remain independent over going back to a G5.

Personally, my first choice would be Big 12, but I think if BYU, Boise State and San Diego state joined the AAC for a 14 team East/West set up you could make a push for a 6th power conference with the success that programs like SMU, Cincinnati, UCF and Memphis have had over the years.

Edit - One cool thing is the variety of teams we get to play as an indy and the quality has been getting better. This years schedule was amazing before Covid

There is also a lot of talk at the Air Force Academy about leaving the MW too and moving either to the B12, AAC or just going independent.

Last edited by Galaril : 12-23-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #1075
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm just wish that travesty of a decision by the NCAA to allow any team into a bowl due to COVID had allowed a 2-8 South Carolina team to play. They had to "drop out" due to COVID. Poor UAB may be without a bowl now. I hope they do away with all conference tie-ins now so teams with an actual winning record or close to it get first priority regardless of Conference. The only time a 2-8 team should get into a bowl is as a last second replacement because they are located near enough to the bowl site to get there quickly.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #1076
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
It was nice to watch a dominating win for BYU last night in a game that concerned me a bit, but a short handed BYU defense stepped up. Sadly, it also cemented Zach Wilson as the likely QB2, barring a big rebound from Fields in the CFP and erased any slim hope of him staying one more season.

I will leave this here for posterity though. Jacob Conover, who will still be a true freshman next season may end up being just as good. I watched a lot of all 22 film on him when he played HS ball here in Arizona and while not quite at Wilson's level in terms of arm strength, he processes the game every bit as quick and plays with a lot of poise. BYU may have restarted their QB factory going forward.

Happy for BYU
Old 12-23-2020, 01:09 PM   #1077
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I'm just wish that travesty of a decision by the NCAA to allow any team into a bowl due to COVID had allowed a 2-8 South Carolina team to play. They had to "drop out" due to COVID. Poor UAB may be without a bowl now. I hope they do away with all conference tie-ins now so teams with an actual winning record or close to it get first priority regardless of Conference. The only time a 2-8 team should get into a bowl is as a last second replacement because they are located near enough to the bowl site to get there quickly.

While I'm also on record as opposing the "whatever your record this year" policy, the bowls will go away before the contract ties do. Without those, many bowls know they couldn't draw flies (most can't now as it is) nor are their TV deals worth as much.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:10 PM   #1078
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

I would have liked to see Army pick up that slot
Old 12-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #1079
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
There is also slot if talk at the Air Force Academy about leaving MW too and moving either B12,AAC or independent too.

Quite honestly I would rather take them to the AAC with Boise over SDSU

Hell get Army and then SDSU can stay and have a 16 team conference

Last edited by BYU 14 : 12-23-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #1080
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

0-9 Kansas has yet to be invited to any bowls. Phone lines are open!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #1081
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
0-9 Kansas has yet to be invited to any bowls. Phone lines are open! SI

2020 NEEDS KU vs Vandy in a bowl.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #1082
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The current count of opt outs for UGA in the Peach Bowl stands at 9 (and still counting), including 7 defensive starters which includes both defensive captains.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:42 PM   #1083
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Would watch

SI

Old 12-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #1084
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Would watch

SI

I'd suit up again and play, I am sure I could squeeze about 10 more plays out this old, dilapitated body.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:17 PM   #1085
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure I used up none of my football eligibility during my (checks notes) 7 years* at Kansas

*"A lot of people go to college for 7 years "

SI

Old 12-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #1086
MrBug708
Head Coach

Pac-12 freshman of the year, Ty Jordan, was killed in an "accidental shooting" at his home in Texas.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 12:24 PM   #1087
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. That's terrible.
Old 12-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #1088
Thomkal
Head Coach

Let's go Coastal!
Old 12-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #1089
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not a good start
Old 12-26-2020, 08:15 PM   #1090
Thomkal
Head Coach

Chants down 14 at one point, finally show up to play, down 17-13 at the half
Old 12-26-2020, 08:39 PM   #1091
Thomkal
Head Coach

Liberty marched down the field to start the second half, but gets INT'ed in the end zone
Old 12-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #1092
Thomkal
Head Coach

And just like that Liberty INT's back and after a long run back, scores a TD.
Old 12-26-2020, 09:56 PM   #1093
Thomkal
Head Coach

And we're tied at 34 with 3 mins left. Typical Liberty/Coastal game if it goes to OT
Old 12-26-2020, 10:07 PM   #1094
BishopMVP
Coordinator

What a bizarre turn of events.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #1095
Thomkal
Head Coach

Holy Crap, Liberty fumbles the ball away at the end zone. Coastal recovers...
Old 12-26-2020, 10:12 PM   #1096
Thomkal
Head Coach

And we're off to OT

Last edited by Thomkal : 12-26-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 10:28 PM   #1097
Thomkal
Head Coach

Liberty gets a quick FG in OT, then BLOCKS Coastal's attempt to tie the game and they win 37-34. Just an unbelievable season for Coastal after picked to finish last in the Sun Belt-can't wait to see how they develop now with this crazy season under their belt.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #1098
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa practiced yesterday. That game get played after all.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #1099
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Iowa practiced yesterday. That game get played after all.

Or ... not

Missouri Tigers out of Music City Bowl after rise in coronavirus cases
Old 12-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #1100
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Kansas still available

SI