Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
I'm fine with West Virginia not being a part of the stimulus

Wow.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #852
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Timeline now is that the counties have until the 15th to certify. The SOS has until the 22nd, but they can and probably will certify sooner. They should be sworn in before the 20th.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:16 PM   #853
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Biden is doing an all time takedown of Trump in this press conference.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:19 PM   #854
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Lol, Biden saying Trump not showing up to the inauguration is one of the few things we agree on.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2021, 02:21 PM   #855
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

it would be nice if the amounts were like dependent on income :P

and oh boy...so are we in for 2 years of Democrats not doing anything because THEY block each other now?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:56 PM   #856
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Timeline now is that the counties have until the 15th to certify. The SOS has until the 22nd, but they can and probably will certify sooner. They should be sworn in before the 20th.

Since Loeffler conceded, wouldn't Warnock be certified much sooner? Or do both races have to be certified at the same time?

Nevermind, saw Perdue conceded. I thought conceding sped up the process?

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-08-2021 at 02:58 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:02 PM   #857
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Nevermind, saw Perdue conceded. I thought conceding sped up the process?
I don't think so, at least not officially. It's just that normally we have an election, the loser concedes, and we never hear anything else about it again...
Old 01-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #858
RainMaker
General Manager

I think Biden and the Democrats would be smart to push for DC statehood now. The district was turned into a military occupation over the Summer by the government. The government let terrorists run roughshod over them the other day. These people have no representation or voice in government.

That's the argument you make. These people are at the mercy of a federal government they have no representation in.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:18 PM   #859
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I think Biden and the Democrats would be smart to push for DC statehood now. The district was turned into a military occupation over the Summer by the government. The government let terrorists run roughshod over them the other day. These people have no representation or voice in government.

That's the argument you make. These people are at the mercy of a federal government they have no representation in.

I counter with "You spit in the face of Betsy Ross to invalidate all her hard flag-sewing work"
Old 01-08-2021, 03:19 PM   #860
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Hmmmm Betsy Ross...Betsy Devos....OMG....It's the same woman!
Old 01-08-2021, 03:24 PM   #861
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I second the DC statehood idea.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #862
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I second the DC statehood idea.

Me Three
Old 01-08-2021, 03:33 PM   #863
GrantDawg

Me four, but then I have long supported statehood for DC and Puerto Rico. I have a really hard time with taxation without representation.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-08-2021 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #864
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The Dems have both houses of Congress and the White House and an argument for D.C. Statehood that is fresh in people's minds.

If they lack the political courage to do it now, they will never do it.

If they do, maybe the 50 star flag will become the new Confederate flag.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #865
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola: And considering our Hurricane Maria response, we should make Puerto Rico a state (or two) as well.

May as well take the "They want Black and Hispanic people to have Senators" political hit all at once.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:44 PM   #866
RainMaker
General Manager

Can I talk you into the Wyoming Rule by chance?

Interesting development here. Kind of wonder if maybe a Senator or two would be willing to go independent. Might help the Democrats not have to rely on Manchin. Romney is practically a blue dog Dem who wouldn't be forced to stick with the Republicans on issues he agrees with.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #867
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola: And considering our Hurricane Maria response, we should make Puerto Rico a state (or two) as well.

May as well take the "They want Black and Hispanic people to have Senators" political hit all at once.

Funny thing is Puerto Rico is not a lock for Democrats. Their Governor (well as of the election) and non-voting member of the House both endorsed Trump. Puerto Ricans voted for Trump in the mainland. It might actually be a swing state.
Old 01-08-2021, 03:53 PM   #868
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

There actually have been rumors that Murkowski is considering going Independent and caucusing with the Democrats.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-08-2021 at 03:53 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:59 PM   #869
Thomkal
Head Coach

Has Puerto Rico had an official vote on whether they want to be a state or not? If not, I'd say they should get that first and if they support it, then we should let them in, whether it would be a Democratic or Republican state.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:03 PM   #870
GrantDawg

Murkoski actually today said that Trump should resign and she questioned that she could remain in the party if they don't distance themselves from Trump.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-08-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #871
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that PR should be a state (if they want), and that it would actually be good if it were neither a D nor an R lock b/c that might make the issue able to pass.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:11 PM   #872
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Murkoski actually today said that Trump should resign and she questioned that she could remain in the party if they don't distance themselves from Trump.

Mitch cares only about GOP power.

If Murkowski, Romney, Sasse, Collins (LOL), Toomey all go to Mitch and say "Either the Senate removes Trump, or we all become independents and you will never get a majority again," that would inspire Mitch to action.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #873
GrantDawg

Albion, that would absolutely work.

Old 01-08-2021, 04:19 PM   #874
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Has Puerto Rico had an official vote on whether they want to be a state or not? If not, I'd say they should get that first and if they support it, then we should let them in, whether it would be a Democratic or Republican state.

They had a non-binding vote in November which resulted in a Yes.

I actually think it would benefit Republicans more in the long term. Puerto Ricans are one segment of Hispanic voters that are conservative. They would have a good shot of not just winning Senate seats but building support in the mainland with the changing demographics of the country.

Short term it might hurt since they are all in on the white supremacist stuff.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #875
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Funny thing is Puerto Rico is not a lock for Democrats. Their Governor (well as of the election) and non-voting member of the House both endorsed Trump. Puerto Ricans voted for Trump in the mainland. It might actually be a swing state.

Trump made gains among Puerto Ricans, but even in Florida, where he had some of his best performance among Hispanic voters, he only got about 33% of Puerto Ricans.

Also, the current Governor, who just got elected on November 3rd, endorsed Biden.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:32 PM   #876
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Albion, that would absolutely work.

My favorite bit is that it would be Murkowski, Romney, et al, and they would tell Mitch "And Senator Collins told us to tell you that she is seriously considering joining us."
Old 01-08-2021, 04:41 PM   #877
GrantDawg

No joke. Ossoff slapped him around and took his lunch money.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:21 AM   #878
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting article (detailed stats in the article). Essentially there are a lot of FL Reps switching to Independent. Some Dems also switching to Independent but in much lower numbers.

Wonder if this is similar to rest of southern states. If it is, probably good for Biden overall.

Florida sees some post-riot voter registration changes - South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Quote:
DePalo-Gould said that people who made switches this week may not have suddenly decided to change solely because of what happened on Wednesday. It’s likely, she said, that those people were already contemplating leaving their party, and the week’s events provided the final impetus to do what they’d been thinking about.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #879
miami_fan
Coordinator

Trump allies reelected to lead RNC as party faces reckoning - POLITICO
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:23 PM   #880
GrantDawg

This is the kind of bullshit traps that the Trump administration is leaving for Biden. Now either Biden has a serious and dangerous stand-off with China, or they paint him as "soft on China."
Old 01-09-2021, 03:30 PM   #881
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

But, hey, there's no harm in leaving Trump in the office for the next 2 weeks. He didn't just run roughshod over LBGT protections on Thursday and then this.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #882
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
But, hey, there's no harm in leaving Trump in the office for the next 2 weeks. He didn't just run roughshod over LBGT protections on Thursday and then this.

SI
To be fair, Pence wouldn't have stopped either.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-09-2021 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:24 PM   #883
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
To be fair, Pence wouldn't have stopped either.

I'm sure Pence was involved in both more than Trump. Part of why conservatives love Trump is because he pays no attention and lets them do whatever they can et away with.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:40 PM   #884
Edward64
Head Coach

MSM is reporting that Biden is getting some GOP pressure to ask Pelosi to stop the impeachment. I feel sorry for Biden because he obviously would not want his administration to start with recriminations, controversy etc. and he does need to work with the GOP.

But it is principle and the country & world is watching so I'm all for impeachment regardless of what the Senate does or not.

Re: Cruz and Hawley and others, he shouldn't get involved. Let Congress deal with it in their own way and process.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:45 PM   #885
Atocep
Coordinator

The GOP doesn't want to go on record with a vote and further split their party. Fuck 'em, they deserve everything that comes from this and the Dems shouldn't do them any favors.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:00 PM   #886
kingfc22
Head Coach

GOP had four years to do anything and had plenty of reasons to do something last January. They didn’t. Let them implode and don’t let them off the hook.

That doesn’t even get into the real matter which is the President incited a fucking riot where his followers sacked the US Capitol. If that isn’t an impeachable offense what is?
Old 01-09-2021, 10:13 PM   #887
Jas_lov
College Starter

And Biden should tell them to fuck off. Rs in Congress say impeachment would further divide us after they spent months supporting this election fraud crap that led to a violent insurrection. And years supporting Trump destroying our country.

And their entire argument last impeachment was that we shouldn't impeach because the voters should decide. Then we decided and over half of them voted to throw our votes out.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:16 PM   #888
Edward64
Head Coach

It's not the GOP hurt feelings I care about.

We need to give Biden a chance to work with GOP and get things done. Bring back some semblance of bi-partisanship.

I know, I know. Many of you now "got yours" (e.g. Presidency and Congress) and don't care about working with the opposition party. I get that.

But I voted for Biden, and one big reason is because I hoped we could go back to the old days (pre-Obama) where (stereotyping) politicians made deals with a quid-pro-quo handshake, sipping cognac in a smoke filled room.

So in a perfect world, Biden get a nice, fresh start but in reality, he'll have to deal with repercussions of the impeachment.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:00 AM   #889
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, honest question here. If McConnell said to Biden: "Look, you guys drop the impeachment thing, and I will give enough hall passes for $2000 stimulus and most (if not all) of HR1 to get past the filibuster", would you say it's a bad deal to take it?

I mean, let's put the supposed "bi-partisanship" and "Wanting to make a deal" to the test early.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:03 AM   #890
RainMaker
General Manager

The impeachment should have nothing to do with politics or dealing. It is to punish a terrorist.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:55 AM   #891
Flasch186
Coordinator

I also think if you have a politician of import, say the president of the United States saying things over and over like “fight!” And then telling those same people to go to the capital.... and they do. Then they kill a police officer and get more people killed while chanting to hang the VP something has to be done or else... when? That was pretty insurrection like behavior no? I get it that we all want to move on but as Susan Collins might ask, “hopefully they learn their lesson,” but with no penalties at all what lesson is being learned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 06:29 AM   #892
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Ok, honest question here. If McConnell said to Biden: "Look, you guys drop the impeachment thing, and I will give enough hall passes for $2000 stimulus and most (if not all) of HR1 to get past the filibuster", would you say it's a bad deal to take it?

I mean, let's put the supposed "bi-partisanship" and "Wanting to make a deal" to the test early.

Really good hypothetical question for a nice discussion. I had to look up what HR1 says, see below. For me it's a good first try but no cigar (pun intended). The $2000 is not much of a bargaining chip, Biden and Dems will pass something anyway. Bullets 1 & 3 are less of a big deal to me but 2 is a little tempting. Not so much safer and easier to vote, but "ending gerrymandering" is a good prize.

IMO, it's not just one resolution (important as it is), it's the tone for the entire 4 years and it's also how the nation and world looks at the US.

Now what would move the needle for me? In addition to HR1, effectively guarantee the passage of Biden's first 100 days plans and

+ Trump censure with the majority of GOP Senators voting for it

I'm not sure what Biden's 100 days plans (which will take rest of his term to do) are but assume - Covid, economic assistance, holistic immigration reform, gun reform, student debt, something for climate change, corporate tax cuts, criminal justice reform, and strengthening Obamacare.

So yeah, a quid-pro-quo of HR1 + 100 days plan + Trump censure is definitely worth dropping the Trump impeachment #2. I'd take 100 days + Trump censure.

Quote:
“H.R. 1 addresses fundamental governance problems including political money corruption in Washington, voter suppression and discrimination, partisan gerrymandering, government ethics abuses and foreign interference in our elections,” according to Wertheimer.

Biden also announced that a Biden administration is committed to:
  • Ending the dominance of big money in politics by bringing dark money into the light, empowering small donors in our elections through a small dollar public financing program for federal elections and introducing a constitutional amendment to entirely eliminate private dollars from our federal elections, and strengthening rules and enforcement of our campaign finance laws.
  • Making sure every vote is counted and protected by ending discrimination at the ballot box, making it safer and easier to vote, ending gerrymandering, and giving states and localities the funding they need to maintain the integrity of our elections particularly during the current health pandemic.
  • Ensuring accountability in Washington by strengthening ethics rules for federal officials, reducing the power of lobbyists, and giving ethics watchdogs more power to hold violators accountable.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-10-2021 at 06:30 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #893
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
I also think if you have a politician of import, say the president of the United States saying things over and over like “fight!” And then telling those same people to go to the capital.... and they do. Then they kill a police officer and get more people killed while chanting to hang the VP something has to be done or else... when? That was pretty insurrection like behavior no? I get it that we all want to move on but as Susan Collins might ask, “hopefully they learn their lesson,” but with no penalties at all what lesson is being learned?

This is where I am - I think you have to hold Trump to account at the very least, probably Don Jr, Guiliani and maybe Cruz. I don’t know enough about what Hawley did/said before this week, but I see he is lumped in with Cruz in most discussions.

But beyond that, I think an olive branch probably is the best course of action for the long term, and it strikes something of a middle ground between accountability and rapprochement

Last edited by AlexB : 01-10-2021 at 06:38 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:17 AM   #894
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
But I voted for Biden, and one big reason is because I hoped we could go back to the old days (pre-Obama) where (stereotyping) politicians made deals with a quid-pro-quo handshake, sipping cognac in a smoke filled room.

So in a perfect world, Biden get a nice, fresh start but in reality, he'll have to deal with repercussions of the impeachment.

As others have said, there's zero chance of that happening anytime soon, because that requires both parties to want to do that. The only chance it has of happening the long term is if there are real consequences to egregious actions.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:22 AM   #895
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm convinced there need to be public congressional hearings on what happened. All of it needs to be made public, the planning, the response, the specific events, everything. Don't let the story end with whatever the media can dig up.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:56 AM   #896
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
As others have said, there's zero chance of that happening anytime soon, because that requires both parties to want to do that. The only chance it has of happening the long term is if there are real consequences to egregious actions.

Yes, I agree this is reality. It will not happen anytime soon if at all.

But it doesn't mean we can't try to do this, start the process, test the waters ... whatever. Because of Biden's history in Congress and many on both sides seems to think he's a likable fella, if anyone can succeed (maybe not 100% but if he moves the dial some), it will be him (certainly more than Bernie or Warren).

I don't think having impeachment #2 is the "only chance of it happening longer term". Per the hypothetical question above, it's the right quid-pro-quo where both sides perceives a win-win. Compromise.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-10-2021 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:05 AM   #897
miked
College Starter

Again I'll ask, why is it always up to the Dems to be reaching across the aisle and bi-partisan. One party has spent the better part of 12 years (maybe more) in bending rules, breaking rules, and going out of their way to not compromise. Obama was a moderate, Hillary was a moderate, but few on the R side want to deal. I mean, this is a party that would not allow for a SC nomination months before an election, and then jams theirs through weeks before they are about to lose power, even laughing at themselves saying they would not do it 4 years ago. Yet the ball is in the Dems court to be the party of compromise?
Old 01-10-2021, 08:08 AM   #898
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Again I'll ask, why is it always up to the Dems to be reaching across the aisle and bi-partisan. One party has spent the better part of 12 years (maybe more) in bending rules, breaking rules, and going out of their way to not compromise. Obama was a moderate, Hillary was a moderate, but few on the R side want to deal. I mean, this is a party that would not allow for a SC nomination months before an election, and then jams theirs through weeks before they are about to lose power, even laughing at themselves saying they would not do it 4 years ago. Yet the ball is in the Dems court to be the party of compromise?

Because do you want a better country, which will only happen is there is less of a schism, or do you want petty revenge?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 08:20 AM   #899
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post

In my hypothetical answer to SirFozzie's hypothetical question, there is much the GOP would be compromising on e.g. HR1, Biden's 100 days, Trump's censure

In real life, Biden has said he wanted to find ways to work across the aisle (as he should). Picking at scabs from the past ain't gonna help.

The way to do that is negotiate where both parties see it as win-win not a win-loss, and compromise will be needed. So give him a chance to make it happen (admittedly lower odds). With that said, not going forward with impeachment #2 and not forcing GOP to vote yea-nay is a big prize and will need a big concession(s) from the GOP.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-10-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:29 AM   #900
Flasch186
Coordinator

The first step to compromise is the gop go back to being the gop and cut out the cancerous cult that has hostilely taken it over and admitted to doing so.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote