Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
AnalBumCover
College Starter

The Good Things of 2020

Most if not all of us can agree that 2020 was Worst. Year. Evah.

So many negative things happened this year, ranging from personal loss to events that affected people globally. Even events not related to COVID shook the world in 2020: Losing Kobe Bryant and Chadwick Boseman, the explosion in Beirut.

"FU 2020" will be a common theme in upcoming new years eve parties around the world, no doubt.

Instead, let's use this platform to list and remember the GOOD things that happened to us in 2020.

AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #2
Edward64
Head Coach

Good things that happened to us (or at least not bad things happened to us) ...
  • No family member (or extended family member) caught Covid that we are aware of.
  • Biden won so I am grateful there will be a sense of normalcy again.
  • S&P YTD return is about 16%. Our 401k deductions continued all year. We rode it all the way down and back up.
  • There was a time when I was a little concerned for my job. My wife is a teacher so in the early days we were wondering WTF would happen. Both of us still have our jobs.
  • Got a Peloton bike and am halfway consistently riding it. Took a short break for a couple weeks

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-26-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:40 PM   #3
BYU 14
Coordinator

I will post some individual things later, but one thing that I encountered Christmas eve struck a chord with me. Our family has a yearly tradition ordering Chinese takeout from a local family owned place that is really good for whoever in the family can make it over, we then play games to win/trade small presents like a White Elephant type thing.

Well, I ordered at about 2 for a 6pm pickup (Which is all this place has done since the pandemic started) and when I got there the line was 30-35 people deep waiting. This place is popular and always busy Christmas eve, but this was crazy. I was in line just over 30 minutes to get my food and struck up conversations with people around me.

As we talked about the line and 2020 in general, one theme we all agreed on is how much more patient we had become throughout the pandemic and how much easier it was to let a minor inconvenience like this go, as it was not that serious in the grand scheme of things. Then I started to scan the line, which in normal times would see/hear a lot of folks grumbling, or looking angry. But this time I saw people smiling, laughing and and showing basically good spirits, despite the long wait. It really struck me, that despite how stressful this year has been for many, how much easier it seemed for people to place things like this in proper perspective. I am a chronic believer in the hope that all people are capable of good and it just made me smile to see most everyone in that line being so patient and showing no more angst than if it had been a 5 minute wait. Just thought it was cool and I hope it is a lasting after effect when we get back to normal.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:44 PM   #4
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Cleveland Browns 2020 season thus far.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:57 AM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

Job Stability - My company offers some stuff that helps patients check in for their doctor's visit without filling out 100 forms sitting in an office, we were able to operate just fine without any fear of layoffs. I'm extremely grateful for that.

No one I know directly has died from COVID. The number of family/friend of friends has grown far too high far too rapidly, but at least I haven't had to attend a zoom funeral or anything.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I've enjoyed the ability to work from home the last nine months. The best part of that has been the ability to be home and present with my 16 month old daughter for the better part of this years. I get up super early with her, I'm around all day when her nanny is taking care of her, and I'm always home to help put her to bed with my wife. I'll be very bummed when I have to go back to work and won't be able to see her and be with her as much. She's truly benefited from all of this and has been living her best quarantine life.

Also, so has my dog. She's super clingy to me and has loved having me home all of the time and not having to go to daycare.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

I struggled with this one. I am going to say the good thing about this year has been how much closer my circle of family and friends have become. I have never understood the idea that tragedy really put things in perspective. For me, my family and friends have always been super important to me. That being said, I have to acknowledge how the COVID crisis has allowed the family to slow down and rally around those that have been in need.

I guess the other thing would be the money we have been able to save by not going a damn place and the other financial requirements associated with traveling.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:34 AM   #8
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I proposed to my now fiance in August. I'm leaving in a couple hours to become vaccinated. Trump lost.

That's about all I got at this time.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 10:56 AM   #9
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I proposed to my now fiance in August. I'm leaving in a couple hours to become vaccinated. Trump lost.

That's about all I got at this time.

Congrats on the fiancé.

Have you done the fitting for the "ball & chain" yet?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #10
AnalBumCover
College Starter

My 4th grader got her grades for the first time ever. She got straight A's and first honors for the first trimester. Despite the distance learning and many distractions at home, turns out she'd been paying attention all along.

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 12-27-2020 at 12:04 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:52 AM   #11
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Samuel Little, Serial Killer Who Confessed to 93 Murders, Dies at 80
Old 12-31-2020, 08:54 AM   #12
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I got fat enough that things are starting to orbit around me.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #13
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's almost over.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:48 AM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Will found a great place to live in Miami and his first semester seems to have been successful (grades aren't back yet but we're pretty optimistic about them)

That's gonna be about it, but at least it's something.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:11 PM   #15
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Got out of debt, got the best job I've had in a long time, hit my next big goal on my YouTube side-hustle. Health was going well also until a really bad poison ivy reaction in the summer, and I need to get back to where I was in terms of that discipline like yesterday, but overall for me personally it was actually a banner year.

Which just makes me feel guilty really, given how much it sucked for so very many.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:14 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Which just makes me feel guilty really, given how much it sucked for so very many.

Fuck that.

No one else's misery relieves anybody else's misery. If anything, evidence of good things happening to ANYBODY are at least a thread of hope to hold onto.

edit to add: And please don't misunderstand me, I get where you're coming from. I'm just trying to say don't be there about it.
Hell, there's at least one 30 year friend I'd like to bring into the loop on what's going on in my world but they've have good stuff going on and I don't want to be a drag on that. So I totally get where you're coming from.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-31-2020 at 01:18 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote