Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2019, 08:54 PM   #651
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Durant goes out again and apparently Toronto fans were cheering. I don't have the sound on. Was it possible they were cheering because there was a steal on the play?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #652
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I remember when Durant stood for what was right in the NBA, wasn't about chasing rings like Lebron, and was a lock to retire with OKC like the true legends before him.

If you can't see the differences between LeBron and Durant you aren't paying attention to the NBA.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #653
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- I have no issue with KD wanting to win a title and join the warriors, but call a spade a spade. He joined a 73 win team that had already won a title with that same core.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #654
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If you can't see the differences between LeBron and Durant you aren't paying attention to the NBA.

Wasn't really directed it at you. I just find it humorous how the narrative has changed so much on Durant since "The Decision".
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:08 PM   #655
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Durant goes out again and apparently Toronto fans were cheering. I don't have the sound on. Was it possible they were cheering because there was a steal on the play?

Im sure some were but while Durant was down holding his calf after the foul people were still cheering. A few Toronto players told them to stop.

Nothing like Philadelphia cheering Irvin laying on the turf not moving. That was infinity more classless.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:22 PM   #656
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, there was clearly a cheer once it became apparent that Durant was hurt. The broadcast mentioned it, and as noted above some of the Raptors players interacted with the crowd to get them to stop.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #657
Groundhog
Coordinator

Kawhi just out of this world this 4th Q.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #658
Groundhog
Coordinator

...and then he airballs...
Old 06-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #659
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can we just get International goaltending rules
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 PM   #660
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's all the better of a shot you could get in order to WIN the NBA Finals
Old 06-10-2019, 10:44 PM   #661
Groundhog
Coordinator

Without any hyperbole there can't be many worse shots taken by decent shooters in a situation like that. Great look, wide by about 2 feet. I think Kawhi should've just pulled up, too unselfish.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:46 PM   #662
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Lowry looked passive all night from 3 point land. Wonder if his shooting confidence is low at the moment? He needs to learn from Klay and get squared up towards the hoop. Hes not squared up to the hoop on many of his 3 point looks.

I thought Kawhi's shot looked odd tonight as well. Like he was shooting slightly late on his jumpshot. I guess its more noticeable when comparing to Klay and Steph.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 06-10-2019 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:08 PM   #663
RainMaker
General Manager

Someone explain to me why Nick Nurse called a timeout with his team rolling.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:15 PM   #664
hoopsguy
General Manager

Wow, KD injury is achilles ... not calf. And that may have some impact on his impending FA process. Rough on several levels.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:16 PM   #665
Jstraub
n00b

I can't quite figure out Kawhi. That was his moment to shine. He's been a stone cold killer in that situation for the last three weeks- I'm stunned he passed it. He had to have thought he was getting it back.

Raptors have been on one heck of a streak- Will be interesting to see if this messes with their minds - I doubt it.
Jstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #666
Groundhog
Coordinator

Green got a finger to the Lowry three thank god.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:40 PM   #667
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Yeah, that was a really really bizarre decision. The arena was absolutely rocking, they were on a run that looked like it was going to ice the game - and you call a timeout to quiet your own crowd?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:41 PM   #668
Groundhog
Coordinator

This was the first game where the Warriors had gone on one of those end of game runs that I kept on expecting them to go on every game the Raptors have won this series, and I'd finally got to the point where I didn't expect it to come.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:45 PM   #669
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Said they were goimg to lose the timeouts anyways and he wanted to get his guys a bit of rest
Old 06-11-2019, 12:29 AM   #670
Izulde
Head Coach

Bye KD. See you on the court in a couple years.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #671
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Was Durant's original injury a calf, or something else? Just curious if trying to play hurt put him at higher risk, unlike if it was a hammy.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #672
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Was Durant's original injury a calf, or something else? Just curious if trying to play hurt put him at higher risk, unlike if it was a hammy.

Yup, same leg as the achilles injury. They are part of the same chain so when one part is weaker (calf) it puts more strain on the other bits, which unfortunately resulting in this injury.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #673
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Yes, he had a right calf strain and it's hard to believe that wasn't tied into this David J. Chao, MD on Twitter: "Pay attention to how #KevinDurant right calf contracts violently. Beleive it or not, the strength of the gasteocnemius muscle contracting so quickly/forcefully is what tears the Achilles tendon.… https://t.co/AQPEK0MR0N" but I'm not looking to get in the game of blaming the whole medical staff. What KD thinks could largely affect his FA decision, because if he still trusts the GS coaching staff picking up his player option would make a lot of sense with how they were able to wait on Cousins (they showed the list of NBA players returning from Achilles - like 8 players were in the 240-270 day range, Cousins was 357 days.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #674
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

With how under paid(in comparison to what others in their sport are paid and their true market value) I dont think Durant will have many problems getting a max contract even with this injury lingering. It might actually work out better for the team signing him. They can tank the 1st year of Durants contract and get a top draft choice to pair with Durant and whatever else they get.

As much as I hate it, its hard to blame the players for chasing rings. The stars dont want to play in the small markets and the small markets cant overpay them to try to convince them to stay. They have their salary pre-decided so they just try to get whatever other incentives they can get(chance to win championships and/or endorsement offers).

If the league wants to stop this(they dont) they are going to have to limit one max contract(and raise this limit substantially) per team or something to that effect.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 06-11-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #675
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
With how under paid(in comparison to what others in their sport are paid and their true market value) I dont think Durant will have many problems getting a max contract even with this injury lingering. It might actually work out better for the team signing him. They can tank the 1st year of Durants contract and get a top draft choice to pair with Durant and whatever else they get.

As much as I hate it, its hard to blame the players for chasing rings. The stars dont want to play in the small markets and the small markets cant overpay them to try to convince them to stay. They have their salary pre-decided so they just try to get whatever other incentives they can get(chance to win championships and/or endorsement offers).

If the league wants to stop this(they dont) they are going to have to limit one max contract(and raise this limit substantially) per team or something to that effect.

He may take his option year with GS for $30 million and sit the year out recovering on GS' dime now.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #676
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
He may take his option year with GS for $30 million and sit the year out recovering on GS' dime now.
But then he would be almost 32 and coming off an Achilles injury. There's max money out there in FA for him this offseason (even with the injury). My guess is Golden State, the Knicks, Nets and maybe even Boston would pay him the full max. Doesn't make sense to pass that up for a 1-year deal to heal.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #677
JPhillips
General Manager

I think one simple change would make a big difference. Just make the max the cap hit, but make it so there's no limit on the actual salary.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:38 PM   #678
bhlloy
Coordinator

Isn't that the exact thing a salary cap is designed to avoid? Might as well just get rid of the cap at that point - the LA and NY teams would just be able to buy three max players and as we've seen, there'd be no shortage of good players willing to take below market to ride their coattails and get a ring or two.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #679
JPhillips
General Manager

In terms of the cap, it wouldn't be any different. A max cap contract would still have the same impact and the Bird Rule would still be in place. The difference would be that teams would potentially have to pay market rates to get the top stars.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #680
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
But then he would be almost 32 and coming off an Achilles injury. There's max money out there in FA for him this offseason (even with the injury). My guess is Golden State, the Knicks, Nets and maybe even Boston would pay him the full max. Doesn't make sense to pass that up for a 1-year deal to heal.
Why would 32 and coming off an Achilles injury be worse than 31 and needing to miss (almost?) a full season then be coming off the Achilles injury? There will be max offers available for him next summer, even if it means it has to be in a sign & trade for like D'Angelo Russell or a team does the Keith Bogans & overpays some middling veteran with a non-guarantee to make the $$$ work.

Though again I think that all comes down to if KD trusts the GS medical staff & brain trust right now, which seems questionable in a vacuum, but is measured vs taking a chance on like James Dolan & cohorts.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #681
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
In terms of the cap, it wouldn't be any different. A max cap contract would still have the same impact and the Bird Rule would still be in place. The difference would be that teams would potentially have to pay market rates to get the top stars.

And some teams would be able to pay infinitely more than others based on market size. Not that players like KD and LeBron are ever going to New Orleans or Orlando anyway, but it would effectively kill the concept that the cap gives these teams a chance to compete on these kinds of players for good.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:15 PM   #682
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The difference would be that teams would potentially have to pay market rates to get the top stars.

So why would the owners agree to that?

The players could make something like that a priority in the next negotiations, but CBAs aren't created from an objective third-person perspective of what's "fair".

Last edited by molson : 06-11-2019 at 02:17 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #683
JPhillips
General Manager

They wouldn't. And the players won't agree to a hard cap. I'm just saying that a change isn't difficult.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #684
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
And some teams would be able to pay infinitely more than others based on market size. Not that players like KD and LeBron are ever going to New Orleans or Orlando anyway, but it would effectively kill the concept that the cap gives these teams a chance to compete on these kinds of players for good.

You'd still have the luxury tax to penalize teams that go over the cap. It would allow a young team to offer a much bigger contract to a player like KD or LeBron and gamble on winning before the young guys get expensive.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #685
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think every team should have one "franchise player" where you'd need to have a situation like Bird rights where they were either drafted by you or have been on your team for X years. For that one player, the cap hit is $30-35 mil - but you can actually pay them up to $50 mil per season.

This would help each team keep their best player without having John Wall or Westbrook level contracts that can kill your cap.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #686
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I think that's a sensible solution. The big problem with Bird rights was they were fully tradeable. I think your solution would have to say that if the player was traded within x years then the cap hit became the full amount to avoid teams gamifying it the same way.

Ultimately I'm not sure there is any solution to a player willing to take 10 million less to win a ring. Basketball is just a game that is so relatively predictable and in which star players are so outlandishly valuable I'm not sure what you can do about it.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:53 PM   #687
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Fuck.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:57 PM   #688
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What a gamer to come out and take the FTs.

No intent on Greene, that play happens countless times in an NBA game, just a weird landing.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #689
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Draymond better be real careful here.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:32 PM   #690
Groundhog
Coordinator

The Draymond and VanVleet show, just like we all expected.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:43 PM   #691
PilotMan
Head Coach

crazy game. The game still looks like fouls all over the place and the ones that are called are simply random.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:45 PM   #692
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Oh Joy. We get to wait for another 5 minutes to see if there is .4 or .3 seconds on the clock.

so stupid.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #693
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
crazy game. The game still looks like fouls all over the place and the ones that are called are simply random.

NBA refereeing is so incredibly arbitrary. They seem to get themselves in trouble with one obvious foul they don't call because of game situation (e.g. the Lowry fifth on Green) and then find themselves with a bad make up call or two they have to make as a result, rinse and repeat and it just spirals down from there. Those last 5-7 minutes were just an absurd mess of obvious fouls not called and then ones called for far less.

Congrats to the Raptors. Everyone always said the one thing that would derail the Warriors dynasty was injuries but nobody expected two (presumably) serious ones in the finals. If that injury was as bad as it looked with Klay hobbling off out of the arena after he didn't make it back in, that's a fascinating story to see how that team looks early next year.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:49 PM   #694
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Kawhi came out of the Spurs situation looking real good. Any chance he stays in Toronto after this?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #695
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Kawhi came out of the Spurs situation looking real good. Any chance he stays in Toronto after this?

Rumor is he recently purchased a home there.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #696
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That would be amazing if he stayed. I am sure Pop thought he was sending him off to Toronto as punishment.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:49 PM   #697
Groundhog
Coordinator

Amazing game. Sucks about the injuries, reminded me a lot of the Cavs-Warriors series where Delly ended up our #2 guy.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:54 PM   #698
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

only 8 days till the draft.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:57 PM   #699
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Fake news or it was a good investment. Raptors fans are the worst.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:17 AM   #700
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Fake news or it was a good investment. Raptors fans are the worst.

LOL
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote