Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2007, 12:54 AM   #1
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

State of Console Sports Gaming

Maybe I'm just getting old, but every year it seems I'm getting less and less enthused about the console sports games. I see less and less advancement from year to year, and the next gen games are nothing more than the old gen with some pretty graphics.

So I'm wondering if it's just me that things that console sports games are in a pretty bad state right now. We see little to no innovation in the games being made, and less and less choices on a yearly basis. Games are more about which athlete is on the cover and what rappers can be heard on the menu than how the game actually plays. I mean one of the big selling points for Madden this year was the ability to make a friggin virtual ring.

But it goes beyond Madden. Almost all the games on the market use the same engine they did 5-10 years ago. Games like FIFA changed it simply because it got so bad that they had to. It feels like these companies are completely milking us from year to year by slick marketing campaigns.

I just feel that sports console gaming is in a bad spot right now. With the billions pouring into the industry, it just feels like a lot of these games should be farther along than they are. That the reason I buy a new version of a game is because they got the Michigan fight song right this time.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:23 AM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think they're focused on other stuff. Or they invest money in hype and giving kids money to be pro Madden players, than they are worried about the dude who has a real job and who sits at home and plays to escape from real life for a while.

Innovation takes time and costs money, so they'd rather cut corners.

Welcome to Hollywood.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I may be getting old but I agree completely with these statements.

I used to look forward to the NHL game but then they seemed to become more like pinball on steroids. Add the extra controls with the right thumbstick and now you need about 5 hands to really play the game.

Madden is the same way. I only like the right thumbstick when I play my HoF career as the defensive lineman (or when blocking as a receiver).

I like the NCAA game because it seems to be a little slower than Madden so you have a little more time to think.

I guess now I know how Bucc feels.... and get off my lawn you damn kids!!!
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:00 AM   #4
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I think 2k are a bit more innovative than EA. NBA2k is one of the best frachises around. They have a good hockey franchise, a so so baseball game and a football game that needs work - but generally they seem headed in the right direction.

EA on the other hand seems to have no grasp on their fanbase and very stagnant ( I know, they still sell millions, so what do I know eh)
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:47 AM   #5
oykib
College Starter

I haven't played or bought a major console sports game since te last MVP on the Xbox. I check the "alright boyz..." threads and I always find a showstopper on the first page.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:50 AM   #6
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
I think 2k are a bit more innovative than EA. NBA2k is one of the best frachises around. They have a good hockey franchise, a so so baseball game and a football game that needs work - but generally they seem headed in the right direction.

EA on the other hand seems to have no grasp on their fanbase and very stagnant ( I know, they still sell millions, so what do I know eh)

I agree that 2K is miles ahead of EA in terms of simulation style sports. Maybe for a 14 year old kid who wants a dunk fest, EA is the game to go to though.

But still, how far have the games advanced this year. Look at NBA 2K8. It's a great game, but has $60 of improvement gone into the game this year? Sure they improved some of the problems on defense and offense. The gameplay is a bit tighter. But does that and a slam dunk contest really seem like the same value as a game like Halo 3? While I like the direction 2K goes with their games, I guess I'm just expecting more from year to year. With the amount of money being spent on video games, you'd think they'd have dramatic improvements to franchise mode and gameplay. They still have that silly catch-up AI on fast breaks because they can't program angles correctly.

It's one thing if I'm paying $20 for a yearly update on the game, but $60 is the price of a brand new game built from scratch.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-30-2007 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:48 AM   #7
MJ4H
Coordinator

There is more innovation in the Wii versions of the EA sports games, at least, than the other versions.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Well, when you read 90% of the posts on the respective game boards, you realize the majority of players only care about uniforms anyway. So, EA and 2KSports are giving the people what they want, Barbie dress-up for "big" boys.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #9
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I agree that 2K is miles ahead of EA in terms of simulation style sports. Maybe for a 14 year old kid who wants a dunk fest, EA is the game to go to though.

But still, how far have the games advanced this year. Look at NBA 2K8. It's a great game, but has $60 of improvement gone into the game this year? Sure they improved some of the problems on defense and offense. The gameplay is a bit tighter. But does that and a slam dunk contest really seem like the same value as a game like Halo 3? While I like the direction 2K goes with their games, I guess I'm just expecting more from year to year. With the amount of money being spent on video games, you'd think they'd have dramatic improvements to franchise mode and gameplay. They still have that silly catch-up AI on fast breaks because they can't program angles correctly.

It's one thing if I'm paying $20 for a yearly update on the game, but $60 is the price of a brand new game built from scratch.

This is what they should do: If you bring in your copy of Madden 08, you should be able to buy Madden 09 at a discounted price...say $20 next year because this version sucks so bad. Same thing with 10, 11, 12, etc. until they actually innovate the game.

Thinking realistically though, I think at most they'd offer a rebate if you sent in your receipt for Madden 09 and the disc for Madden 08...which you would never get.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:04 AM   #10
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Madden won't see any real change til people stop buying it. Why put in the additional effort when it's going to sell 4-5 million copies anyway?

Also I think because of that they're scared to do anything that really changes the gameplay because they don't want to alienate their current buyers who obviously don't care that it's just a roster update with new bugs.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Madden won't see any real change til people stop buying it. Why put in the additional effort when it's going to sell 4-5 million copies anyway?

Also I think because of that they're scared to do anything that really changes the gameplay because they don't want to alienate their current buyers who obviously don't care that it's just a roster update with new bugs.
Their sales have been pretty lackluster the last few years for Madden. They have to be fairly disappointed in it. But still, when you have a monopoly on something, the product usually goes to crap. EA got pushed in the soccer market hard and actually went in and re-built FIFA to what looks like a respectable game this year.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:28 AM   #12
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
Well, when you read 90% of the posts on the respective game boards, you realize the majority of players only care about uniforms anyway. So, EA and 2KSports are giving the people what they want, Barbie dress-up for "big" boys.
Sadly, you're about right. It's funny how people have huge fits over the shoe color of a team but don't care that the blocking formed bigger pockets in Tecmo Bowl. Not to mention the guys on forums that feel if EA crapped in a box and sold it to them, they'd rate it a 9.4. It's crazy how people will trash a small thing in a game like Halo, but give a free pass to a bug in a sports game that has been around for 5 versions.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-30-2007 at 08:34 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:52 AM   #13
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Another problem I see is that although review scores can be iffy with all types of games, sports games are even worse. People discover a ton of bugs within a few days that go unnoticed in 20-30+ reviews. I'm sure that only having a year to work on the game kills innovativeness as well. Didn't Madden skip a year in the late 90s when the series had declined for a few years running? I doubt we'll ever see that again with the increased money in the video game industry and exclusive licensing deals.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Their sales have been pretty lackluster the last few years for Madden.

Is that true? I was under the impression that Madden was consistently one of the top selling games every year.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #15
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Is that true? I was under the impression that Madden was consistently one of the top selling games every year.

It still is one of the top selling games each year, but total number of sales have dropped somewhere in the range of 10% each of the past few years. Of course with higher prices on the next gen system, profits haven't necessarily dropped as much.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post

I think he's using the term "lackluster" loosely here... You're definitely right, but Madden's sales numbers have dropped I think in the 5-10% range each of the last few years. It's still one of the top selling games, but their sales are down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:31 AM   #17
KWhit
Coordinator

Gotcha.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:07 AM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I still believe sliders has a lot to do with sports games nowdays. It allows companies to test games less and release games "early".

With that being said, I'm having a blast with:

MLB 2k7
APF 2k8
NHL 08
NHL 2k8

As I get older, I'm just looking for a "fun" game to pass time. When I want accuracy and depth, I turn to text sims.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:17 AM   #19
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think the football genre is really suffering right now. It's been years since the last truly great one, and the NFL license is almost surely the reason. No competition = no real effort. I would think the bosses at EA have to be pissed about the yearly dropoff in sales though. Maybe they will finally shake things up.

Basketball seems to be in better shape, thanks to the 2k series. I can't speak for other sports, because I don't play baseball, hockey, or racing games.

Speaking broadly, sports gaming sucks right now.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #20
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I still believe sliders has a lot to do with sports games nowdays. It allows companies to test games less and release games "early".

Couldn't agree more. While the sliders were something that gamers initially wanted to fine tune the games that didn't quite play as they should, they've now turned into a crutch for both developers and publishers as a way to get games out when they're not nearly ready. Also, the ability to patch is available, but rarely used. Even when EA did issue a Madden patch this year, it didn't address the biggest problems reported by gamers. Why even bother?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #21
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(have been saying this for years, yet tons of people on this and other boards feel compelled to get Madden, NCAA, etc year after year...)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:55 AM   #22
TroyF
Coordinator

I know you guys keep bashing sliders, but I just don't buy it. It's not like things were perfect before sliders. Quite the opposite actually. If all-pro was a little to easy and superstar was difficult, you were screwed. If there was an AI flaw where a RB could break 300 tackles in a game, you were stuck with that as well.

Fact is, the games we play on the consoles are LIGHT years ahead of the games we used to play in terms of simming. I look at a game today and see franchise modes, modes where you can play as a single player, multiple uniform options, realitstic stadiums, etc.

I think the garbage you are attributing to sliders is really as simple as the fact that you've grown up. In all likelihood, I'm like most of you. I played Tecmo Bowl until 4 in the morning. When the Genesis came out, I played more hours of Madden NHL and even Bill Walsh College Football than I care to get into. Could I play those games for the same length of time today? Ummm, NO.

NHL 93 is one of my favorite games of all time, but what did I do in it? Played entire games on the penalty kill because my goal was to make the other guys bleed. A realistic game of hockey? Are you kidding me? Screw that. My best friend and I teamed up in co op to give Gretzky a three hit whiplash that had him bleeding on the ice. We rewinded and watched the play for half the night.

Sorry guys, fact is, the games we remember fondly weren't balanced all that well. A handfull of classics were, but the majority were garbage. Even some of the classics weren't balanced well, they were just fun because we were 14.

My biggest, biggest problems with sliders now? The companies like EA that release sliders that are 100% ineffective. Like this year's Madden. When you turn INT's down to 0, you should get 0 INT's. When you turn it up to 100, anytime a DB gets his hands on the ball it shoulld be an INT. Instead, INT's are high no matter what the hell you do. That's horrible game design, but it isn't the sliders fault.

When used correctly in a game, sliders are a Godsend to people who want to balance the game to their style of play. And the companies who do it right most of the time (like you 2K) release some of the best sports games we've ever seen.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I still HATE sliders, period. A game should play relatively decent out of the box. Granted, ithey have made MLB 2k7 much more enjoyable, but for the sports games I play the most, they are NOT tweakfests.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #24
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I still HATE sliders, period. A game should play relatively decent out of the box. Granted, ithey have made MLB 2k7 much more enjoyable, but for the sports games I play the most, they are NOT tweakfests.

Every single sports game I've played in the last 5 years has had at least some slider tweaks. Even a classic like NBA2K7 that played terrific out of the box required a few slider tweaks to get it right for my style of play. Without those minor tweaks, my enjoyment would have been lessoned. Even for an all time great game.

Thank GOD you do no programming for sports console games. A game without sliders would have to be close to perfection for me to even bother renting it.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:26 AM   #25
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Sliders were a welcome addition to sports games IMO, and EA would rush games out to beat the deadline regardless of their presence. As TroyF said, they are especially nice when your ability level falls right in the middle of two default difficulty levels, or like how on past Maddens the AI couldn't run the ball for crap.

The games disappoint for a host of other reasons.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:50 AM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I like the sliders. It gives the games more lasting value for me.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:58 AM   #27
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Every single sports game I've played in the last 5 years has had at least some slider tweaks. Even a classic like NBA2K7 that played terrific out of the box required a few slider tweaks to get it right for my style of play. Without those minor tweaks, my enjoyment would have been lessoned. Even for an all time great game.

Thank GOD you do no programming for sports console games. A game without sliders would have to be close to perfection for me to even bother renting it.

The majority of people love the addition of sliders, I'm in the minority.

FWIW, I don't mind MINOR slider tweaks, but when a game becomes so screwed up that I'm visiting OS to see if the slider guru's have a new set out, the game gets traded in.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
The majority of people love the addition of sliders, I'm in the minority.

FWIW, I don't mind MINOR slider tweaks, but when a game becomes so screwed up that I'm visiting OS to see if the slider guru's have a new set out, the game gets traded in.

That's not a SLIDER problem, that's a developer problem. Without sliders, the same developer would have released a chunk of garbage. How many really good games have you played that have required a complete and total overhaul of the sliders? For me? None. If I have to spend hours tweaking them, the game is a coaster before I figure it out.

You are blaming sloppy, idiotic programming on a tool that is actually helpful. And it isn't like sloppy, idiotic programming wasn't there before the advent of sliders. Sorry mizzou's, I wish it were that simple. I wish we could blame bad game design on one simple thing like you guys seem to want to do. Bad game development existed before sliders and will exist long after them.

If you think I'm advocating someone spend their first thirty days with a game on sliders, you are missing the point entirely. Again, those games don't get playtime even if they get the sliders fixed. They suck. I have a better feature for you guys to blame. Instead of sliders, blame the start button.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:08 PM   #29
Icy
Pro Starter

The main problem with football games this year is not that they need some slider tweaking to be accurate. I really wish that was the only problem as there are awesome sliders makers that research a lot into the games to make them as sim as possible.

The real problem is that things don't work as advertised and are poorly tested.

Huge amount of turnovers that not any slider can tweak (and i can't understand why setting the INT slider at zero still produces INTs, it at zero should mean that every time a defender is going to caught a pass, it should be dropped, it would look ugly, but that is what INT=zero should mean). A working INT slider would fix this problem, same about fumbles.

But what about the incredible bug of not being enough players available in some positions after 3 or 4 years??? WTF??? nobody in EA played more than one season in franchise mode?? this is inadmissible. Same about progression not working etc.

The problem is lack of interest on anything besides eye dressing stuff, like animations, unis or amber visors. I think also that online gaming killed franchise modes and computer AI programming. Most of Madden players just want to play against their buddies online or in a home party, so why to develop a good AI? Sadly i enjoy way more playing solo vs a good AI than vs another person, as most of the people just cheese to win and doesn't care about realism.

I'm enjoying NBA2k and MLB the show a lot, but i would love a football game as good as those two.

Last edited by Icy : 09-30-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:54 PM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Completely agree. NBA2k7 is good out of the box. With a few minor slider tweaks, it is a great game. Ditto for College Hoops 2k7. This year's NCAA Football on the 360 comes so close to being a great game for me. If the sliders could just solve the turnover issue, it would be a great game. Recruiting is well done, the sim engine is well within the realm of believability. As it is, it is still the best console football game in at least 3 or 4 years in my opinion and I'm overlooking the flaws and having fun with it.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-30-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #31
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
It still is one of the top selling games each year, but total number of sales have dropped somewhere in the range of 10% each of the past few years. Of course with higher prices on the next gen system, profits haven't necessarily dropped as much.

Remeber, EA is paying a fortune for the NFL license. I'm sure the development costs/license fees (to Sony, Microsoft, ect) are the same % as with the past generations. I've wondered if the net profits on the Madden series are lower this year.

I think the problem is the licensing deals. NCAA actually is a great game, with a few expections of the turnovers and option (needs to be re-worked, a QB shouldn't be able to throw it when his body is half-twisted with two defenders on him).

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-30-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's not a SLIDER problem, that's a developer problem. Without sliders, the same developer would have released a chunk of garbage. How many really good games have you played that have required a complete and total overhaul of the sliders? For me? None. If I have to spend hours tweaking them, the game is a coaster before I figure it out.

You are blaming sloppy, idiotic programming on a tool that is actually helpful. And it isn't like sloppy, idiotic programming wasn't there before the advent of sliders. Sorry mizzou's, I wish it were that simple. I wish we could blame bad game design on one simple thing like you guys seem to want to do. Bad game development existed before sliders and will exist long after them.

If you think I'm advocating someone spend their first thirty days with a game on sliders, you are missing the point entirely. Again, those games don't get playtime even if they get the sliders fixed. They suck. I have a better feature for you guys to blame. Instead of sliders, blame the start button.

MLB 2k7

Ok, that's the only game I can think of.. but like I said, when sliders are more important than the game, I'm done.

(I agree with you Troy for the most part, but I will always hate sliders - more difficulty settings would be fine with me)
Old 09-30-2007, 05:01 PM   #33
Calis
College Starter

I get excited for the new NBA 2k game and the College Hoops games, but that's about it really. I used to look forward to the newest Winning Eleven more than any other one but I was really disappointed by their last effort and it doesn't sound like this next version is much either.

I'm sadly probably going to buy FIFA the day it comes out, something I've never done before, but I've heard relatively good things so far and I need a soccer game on the 360 one way or the other.

I find myself playing sports games that are 2 and 3 years old over the newest ones anyway. I'm still using NFL 2k5 when I get the football urge, playing the College Baseball game on the Xbox for baseball, and Winning Eleven 9 for soccer, so maybe I am falling behind in the sports console market.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #34
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

How long does 2k have the MLB license? The problem with the football game is the lack of a NF/NCAA licnese. It has to be tough to make a game without thoe.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:11 PM   #35
BradS
n00b

I would count down till NCAA released every year. And I suppose it is still a good series of sorts. But when I found text sims and most I've found are pretty good, I lost all desire for console/video sports games.

Every now and again I think of getting back to it, but I catch myself. Thinking of the Madden tourneys with players posting basketball like scores kills it for me, the ease in which players can and will exploit weaknesses in video games. The incredible graphics can be enticing, but it all boils down to the simulation.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 11:29 PM   #36
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know you guys keep bashing sliders, but I just don't buy it. It's not like things were perfect before sliders. Quite the opposite actually. If all-pro was a little to easy and superstar was difficult, you were screwed. If there was an AI flaw where a RB could break 300 tackles in a game, you were stuck with that as well.

Fact is, the games we play on the consoles are LIGHT years ahead of the games we used to play in terms of simming. I look at a game today and see franchise modes, modes where you can play as a single player, multiple uniform options, realitstic stadiums, etc.

I think the garbage you are attributing to sliders is really as simple as the fact that you've grown up. In all likelihood, I'm like most of you. I played Tecmo Bowl until 4 in the morning. When the Genesis came out, I played more hours of Madden NHL and even Bill Walsh College Football than I care to get into. Could I play those games for the same length of time today? Ummm, NO.

NHL 93 is one of my favorite games of all time, but what did I do in it? Played entire games on the penalty kill because my goal was to make the other guys bleed. A realistic game of hockey? Are you kidding me? Screw that. My best friend and I teamed up in co op to give Gretzky a three hit whiplash that had him bleeding on the ice. We rewinded and watched the play for half the night.

Sorry guys, fact is, the games we remember fondly weren't balanced all that well. A handfull of classics were, but the majority were garbage. Even some of the classics weren't balanced well, they were just fun because we were 14.

My biggest, biggest problems with sliders now? The companies like EA that release sliders that are 100% ineffective. Like this year's Madden. When you turn INT's down to 0, you should get 0 INT's. When you turn it up to 100, anytime a DB gets his hands on the ball it shoulld be an INT. Instead, INT's are high no matter what the hell you do. That's horrible game design, but it isn't the sliders fault.

When used correctly in a game, sliders are a Godsend to people who want to balance the game to their style of play. And the companies who do it right most of the time (like you 2K) release some of the best sports games we've ever seen.

I agree that we are light years ahead of where we were in 1993. But are we light years ahead of where we were in 2002? Sure the graphics are prettier, but not much else has changed. Same engines, same gameplay, same presentation. We have companies pumping more and more into video games these days, yet we are getting less and less improvement from year to year.

All we are getting from year to year is some gameplay tweaks (for better or worse), an updated roster, and a feature that we may or may not use. There is no innovation to the games, no major changes, just the same old crap from year to year. I think sports gaming evolved exponentially from 1997-2002. It seems to be completely stagnant now. These games should be much farther along than they are.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #37
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Ummmm, I think most people are agreeing with you. Sliders aren't inherently bad and certainly aren't being cited as the problem. The problem is that the developers now rely on gamers to fix with sliders what the developers should be fixing on their own. The problem is that even the sliders don't fix some of the problems because the developers have allowed the games to slip so badly.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 AM   #38
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Couldn't agree more. While the sliders were something that gamers initially wanted to fine tune the games that didn't quite play as they should, they've now turned into a crutch for both developers and publishers as a way to get games out when they're not nearly ready.

This is your post from above b-ball. No, I don't agree with it AT ALL. Sliders aren't being used as a crutch. I don't think for a second they are a way to get games out early. The games with poor slider implementation and poor balance always had poor play balance. The rushed games were always rushed, long before sliders. (anyone remember Earl Weaver 2 on the PC?)
Old 10-01-2007, 08:12 AM   #39
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
I agree that we are light years ahead of where we were in 1993. But are we light years ahead of where we were in 2002? Sure the graphics are prettier, but not much else has changed. Same engines, same gameplay, same presentation. We have companies pumping more and more into video games these days, yet we are getting less and less improvement from year to year.

All we are getting from year to year is some gameplay tweaks (for better or worse), an updated roster, and a feature that we may or may not use. There is no innovation to the games, no major changes, just the same old crap from year to year. I think sports gaming evolved exponentially from 1997-2002. It seems to be completely stagnant now. These games should be much farther along than they are.

I think we are light years ahead of 2002. NBA2K is one of the, if not the greatest graphical sports sim ever made. Ditto for the college version of the series which many on this board play to death. Mizzou loves NHL '07 and I think he'd say it was light years ahead of any NHL game made in 2002. As for baseball, we've had The Show released sinse 2002 and the 2006 version is probably one of the top 2 or 3 baseball games of all time. (console based of course) There has even been innovation in football. The campus legend mode in NCAA this year is worth the price of admission alone. The recruiting is better than it ever has been.

I'm not saying we are close to perfection here. There is a lot of room for improvement. Again, I think it's developer decisions that kill us. And again I'll go back to 2K. Did the engine for NBA2K8 change much? When you look at the videos, not really. Same style. but what were the additions? Being able to see your play as you call it on the floor is HUGE for fans of the series. They tweaked many of the animations and tweaked some of a contact logic. They worked on the rebounding logic. Now, I haven't played the game yet, but if these are the main tweaks they made and they work great? I'm thrilled with it.

Hell, even a lot of the innovations in Madden are actually pretty good. They were just implemented horribly. So do I think we are better than 2002? Hell yes. Much, much better. YMMV.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #40
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Ummmm, I think most people are agreeing with you.
Except Mizzourah who I think Troy is talking to directly much of this time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #41
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Except Mizzourah who I think Troy is talking to directly much of this time...

The confusion of the Mizzou's..

Troy and I disagree alot.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:10 AM   #42
Desnudo
Coordinator

Has EA Sports ever been innovative in advancing realism in their sports games? Ever since the first ambulance ran over a player, it's been about flashy features. At this point, if there's going to be something revolutionary in gameplay, it'll have to come from sport besides NFL football and definitely won't come from a company like EA.

If only the guys who designed the physics for Pro Evo soccer could spend a year on Madden.

Last edited by Desnudo : 10-01-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #43
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I think we are light years ahead of 2002. NBA2K is one of the, if not the greatest graphical sports sim ever made. Ditto for the college version of the series which many on this board play to death. Mizzou loves NHL '07 and I think he'd say it was light years ahead of any NHL game made in 2002. As for baseball, we've had The Show released sinse 2002 and the 2006 version is probably one of the top 2 or 3 baseball games of all time. (console based of course) There has even been innovation in football. The campus legend mode in NCAA this year is worth the price of admission alone. The recruiting is better than it ever has been.

I'm not saying we are close to perfection here. There is a lot of room for improvement. Again, I think it's developer decisions that kill us. And again I'll go back to 2K. Did the engine for NBA2K8 change much? When you look at the videos, not really. Same style. but what were the additions? Being able to see your play as you call it on the floor is HUGE for fans of the series. They tweaked many of the animations and tweaked some of a contact logic. They worked on the rebounding logic. Now, I haven't played the game yet, but if these are the main tweaks they made and they work great? I'm thrilled with it.

Hell, even a lot of the innovations in Madden are actually pretty good. They were just implemented horribly. So do I think we are better than 2002? Hell yes. Much, much better. YMMV.

What's The Show? I though 2k had an exclusive license with Major League Baseball (title of the series)?
Old 10-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #44
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:

What's The Show? I though 2k had an exclusive license with Major League Baseball (title of the series)?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #45
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

Just about everyone except EA can publish a baseball game. MLB 07: The Show is published by Sony. A lot of people consider it to be the best baseball series currently available.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:05 PM   #46
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
The confusion of the Mizzou's..

Troy and I disagree alot.

See the mizzou b-ball quote above. I'm disagreeing with both of you. I don't think we are that far off to be honest, but I don't quite understand how sliders are bad for the genre.

As far as the rest of our disagreements, I used to remember you as someone who cared about the simulation of the game. Somewhere along the line, you've flipped into looking as much at graphics as anything else. Nothing wrong with that, but if that's the focus, we are naturally going to be wildly different in our ideas. I hated NHL '07 and find the 2K baseball game unplayable. One was your sports game of the year and you've played the 2k game to death.

Nothing wrong with that. All an opinion thing.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #47
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Just about everyone except EA can publish a baseball game. MLB 07: The Show is published by Sony. A lot of people consider it to be the best baseball series currently available.

I think there is some rule in baseball where only 2K can puplish a cross-console title. Anyone can publish a single system title if they choose to do it.

MLB: The Show is clearly the best of the baseball genre right now. I thought this years was a bit dissapointing, but it was still far better than the 2K game. (IMHO, you will find others who have a differing opinion, but I think the majority side with The Show as being the best)
Old 10-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #48
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Actually, I believe the rule is no one (except 2k) can make a 3rd party baseball game, but each company can make a 1st party baseball game for its own console. In any case, it was designed to shut down EA's baseball series and was a direct counterstrike for EA signing the NFL exclusivity deal.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 10-01-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #49
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I got Madden 07 last year for christmas and didn't even open it
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #50
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
This is your post from above b-ball. No, I don't agree with it AT ALL. Sliders aren't being used as a crutch. I don't think for a second they are a way to get games out early. The games with poor slider implementation and poor balance always had poor play balance. The rushed games were always rushed, long before sliders. (anyone remember Earl Weaver 2 on the PC?)

It's naive to think that sliders aren't used as a crutch and a way to get games out early when in this day and age all the game bugs are released with a 'we will patch it later' mentality.