Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2004, 10:42 AM   #1
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

NFL: best games of each season?

Like a heroin junkie who's being forced to quit, I await with dread the end of the NFL season in just over a week.

Looking for my off-season methadone, I've decided I'm going to pick up some "classic" NFL games on VHS (if you search around on the internet, you can find any number of people trading/selling them). I'll probably pick up some games, and watch one every 1-2 weeks to keep me sustained until key NFL events like the draft, 1st week of pre-season, etc.

I'm looking for some help here. Basically working backwards, I'd like to see some people pick out what they tought were incredibly "great" or "defining" games of a given season... one that you would likely point to as the single best game of that year.

for reference, this site lists the results of a lot of the games of the last bunch of years (forgive the hideuous site). http://www.webspawner.com/users/sportsvision88/
and another
http://www.webspawner.com/users/steeler75/index.html

Some of my thoughts:

2003: Maybe too early to properly look back on this, but I would say the best games off-hand were maybe:
Packers-Seahawks playoff game
Chiefs-Colts playoff game
Rams-Panthers playoff game
I have a hard time picking a defining game for this season... maybe the Super Bowl will be it.

2002: Giants-49ers playoff game (24 point comeback, bizzare/controversial ending)
2001: Raiders-Pats playoff game (the tuck rule). I think i like this one over the Pats-Rams superbowl.
2000: I think i would have to go with the Jets-Dolphins MNF game, due to a fairly lackluster playoffs.
1999: Titans-Bills (music city miracle). Again, i thought this was actually a better game than the Titans-Rams superbowl (in itself, a great game). This is the end of the Thurman Thomas/Bruce Smith/Andre Reed era, and most forget that Rob Johnson actually seemed to put it all together for one game - he played great. An absolutely epic last 5 minutes of this game.
1998: 49ers-Packers playoff game (non-call on a Jerry Rice fumble, then T.O's amazing goal line catch as he get's hammered by 2 guys). I think this just beats the Falcons-Vikings NFC Championship.
1997: Packers-Broncos super bowl (elway finally wins).
1990: I see no way to get around listing 2 games here. The San Fran-Giants NFC title game (Montana injured, the Craig fumble, last second field goal). And of course the Bills-Giants Super Bowl (wide right). That is still the best Super Bowl I've watched, that game was incredible from start to finish.
1985: Bears-Dolphins MNF game (undefeated Bears take their first loss)
1981: Chargers-Dolphins OT playoff game (that famous Kellen Winslow picture game)

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 01-22-2004 at 11:30 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:04 AM   #2
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
2001: Raiders-Pats playoff game (the tuck rule). I think i like this one over the Pats-Rams superbowl.

I agree. I have all 3 playoff games from the Pats superbowl run. I have watched the snow game game a couple times. The superbowl only once.

Another game:
1981 Dolphins-Chargers playoff game. That's the one where Kellen Winslow gets helped off the field several times.

For 2003, the Colts-Patriots regular season meeting had an incredible four play goal line stand to end the game.
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:11 AM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock
I agree. I have all 3 playoff games from the Pats superbowl run. I have watched the snow game game a couple times. The superbowl only once.

Another game:
1981 Dolphins-Chargers playoff game. That's the one where Kellen Winslow gets helped off the field several times.

For 2003, the Colts-Patriots regular season meeting had an incredible four play goal line stand to end the game.

Good call on 2003. I only got to see the last minute of that game where I am, but imagine that would have been one hell of a game. I'd also even throw in the Colts-Bucs for the absolutely surreal ending to the game.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:15 AM   #4
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

1985: Dolphins vs Bears on Monday Night Football in Miami when Dan Marino single-handedly beat the Bears and ended their chance of a perfect run.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:27 AM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

does anyone recall what year the Bills and 49ers played an incredibly good regular season game? I believe there were no punts, and I think each team scored every time they had the ball, with someone winning it in overtime...
Old 01-22-2004, 11:34 AM   #6
Aylmar
High School Varsity

2002: Steelers-Browns playoff game. Without a doubt one of the most exiciting games I've ever watched. (Would have been the best game of that season if not for the 49ers-Giants game). Also up for consideration is the Steelers-Titans playoff game the following week...it went to OT at least.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:35 AM   #7
Desnudo
Coordinator

I forget the year (early 90s?), but that playoff game with the Browns vs. Broncos when Byner fumbled at the goaline and then Elway drove the Broncos to victory.

The Patriots' Squish the Fish game vs. the Dolphins during their 85' Superbowl run was a great game. Came down to the wire and a Marino interception if I remember correctly.

"The Catch" game, 49ers vs. Dallas with Montana to Dwight Clark. That game was my first memory of NFL football and it was a great game from start to finish.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:21 PM   #8
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I forget the year (early 90s?), but that playoff game with the Browns vs. Broncos when Byner fumbled at the goaline and then Elway drove the Broncos to victory.

The Patriots' Squish the Fish game vs. the Dolphins during their 85' Superbowl run was a great game. Came down to the wire and a Marino interception if I remember correctly.

"The Catch" game, 49ers vs. Dallas with Montana to Dwight Clark. That game was my first memory of NFL football and it was a great game from start to finish.

That was the 86 AFC Championship game I believe. Cleveland had a pretty good team in the mid - late 80's. They never got it done though.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:27 PM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
That was the 86 AFC Championship game I believe. Cleveland had a pretty good team in the mid - late 80's. They never got it done though.

They lost 3 AFC title games in 4 years - all to the Broncos. Must be so painful. At least the Eagles have lost to 3 different teams... i imagine it would be much worse if it was all the same opponent.

edit: although the worst might have been the Raiders losing 6 AFL/AFC title games in 8 years in the late 60's/early 70's. I can't imagine coming so close so many times and failing.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 01-22-2004 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:42 PM   #10
MikeVic
Head Coach

The Panthers/Bucs game and Saints/whoever game this year were also good. With the Panthers/Bucs, it made me first wonder whether the Bucs would make the playoffs, made me pay attention to the Panthers, and had an XP blocked that would've won the game. How many times has that happened?

Theend of the Saints/whoever game is all that I'll ever remember.. can't even remember the opposing team. They get a crazy TD, then miss the XP.. painful.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:43 PM   #11
timmae
College Starter

I'd go back to the Packers-Bears Monday Night Football game on October 31st, 1994 (It was Halloween night, I think it was 1994). Awesome game with horrible weather on Halloween. It was interesting!! BTW... the Packers won!!!
timmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 12:52 PM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog Purple
1985: Dolphins vs Bears on Monday Night Football in Miami when Dan Marino single-handedly beat the Bears and ended their chance of a perfect run.

This is bar none my favorite game ever. I would love to have it on tape. I hope the NFL Network gets to a point where they air entire games from the past.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:11 PM   #13
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo

You've combined 2 of the playoff losses

First was the drive. Cleveland takes the lead, then kicks the ball to the 2 yard line and then the defense collapses allowing Elway to march down the field and tie the game. That should be '86

The fumble was Kosar leads the Browns to the goal line to tie the game and Byner drops the ball. That should be '87
Old 01-22-2004, 01:23 PM   #14
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
does anyone recall what year the Bills and 49ers played an incredibly good regular season game? I believe there were no punts, and I think each team scored every time they had the ball, with someone winning it in overtime...

I believe that game was played in '92.
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:24 PM   #15
mmarra82
High School Varsity

1981 NFC Championship game -Cowboys at 49ers, "the catch"
Old 01-22-2004, 01:26 PM   #16
mmarra82
High School Varsity

Being a Jet fan, my favorite Jet game in recent memory, 2000, when the Dolphins played the Jets on Monday night, and the Jets came back from 31? points down and won in overtime. Jumbo Elliott even caught a touchdown pass.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:27 PM   #17
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra82
1981 NFC Championship game -Cowboys at 49ers, "the illegal pick"

better....
Old 01-22-2004, 01:50 PM   #18
sabotai
General Manager

I once bought an NFL game on tape. It was Super Bowl 21...and it was of such horrible quality that I'll probably never waste my money again. (Althought the newer years should probably be fine. This SB21 tape is pretty much unwatchable)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 01:51 PM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra82
Being a Jet fan, my favorite Jet game in recent memory, 2000, when the Dolphins played the Jets on Monday night, and the Jets came back from 31? points down and won in overtime. Jumbo Elliott even caught a touchdown pass.

That and the last game of the season to make the playoffs in 2001 (against Oakland) are my favorite Jet moments.

Most heartbreaking Jet momen? The entire 2nd half of the 1998 AFC Champsionship game against Denver.