Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-29-2004, 04:01 PM   #101
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Wow, looks good. One more day until I get home and back to work on my programming. Hope you have another good stretch tonight.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:34 PM   #102
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Cap: Thanks!

30 December 2004

Finished a review of Chapter 10 in Step by Step. Relearned material on sub-procedures. Things are starting to come back, but I feel like I’ve forgotten quite a bit. I’m hoping I’ll feel more confident by the end of next week. Frustrating to lose so much ground, and that makes it easy to give up.

Total time: 30 minutes

Grand total: 29 hours and 05 minutes.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 01-01-2005 at 10:11 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #103
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

1 January 2005

Worked through Chapter 11 in my review of the Step by Step book. Relearned material on collections and arrays. Went pretty fast, as I am starting to recall more of what I learned in August.

Also read the introduction to Rod Stephens’ book, Ready-to-Run Visual Basic Algorithms. Not much to say about this book yet, as the introduction doesn’t tell me much about how useful the content will be

Grand total: 29 hours and 35 minutes.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #104
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

3 January 2005

Plugging away on my review of this summer’s material. Am about halfway through Chapter 12 in Step by Step. Reviewed some basic information about text strings.

Starting to remember more. I got to Chapter 14 in the summer, and think that I’ll review up to that point before either doing something else with the LM program itself.

Grand total: 30 hours and 05 minutes.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:50 PM   #105
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

5 January 2005

Read more on text file processing in Step by Step. This was the stuff I was working with when I stopped in August, and it’s taken me a while to get the hang of it again. Once I get this stuff back down, I think I’m at the point where I can start to dig back into the program itself.

Grand total: 30 hours and 35 minutes.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:22 AM   #106
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Text file reading & writing was so hard for me at first. It seemed like I could never get it to work the way I wanted or it would return really random values that weren't in the file anywhere. Somehow I got it to work, and it has really made a difference in how fast I can go. Instead of having to type things into arrays (which is very inefficient and now seems really dumb), I can just set up a quick routine to read in a csv file or dat file.

I've been busy working on some other projects. I'm definitely a muse programmer. When I have a desire to program, I can definitely crank stuff out, but when I'm uninspired, well I don't accomplish much.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:08 PM   #107
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

What software did you use to create the screen shot you posted when you first started.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:08 AM   #108
hoosierdude
High School Varsity

Yes, that would be interesting to know. Really enjoying your thread!

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud - Sophocles"
hoosierdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:55 AM   #109
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

major, major bump. GB, how's the game going?
Old 03-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #110
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Sheesh. I have no idea what happened to me here. I apparently vanished.

Ah! Wait! I know. It was World of Warcraft. Right about the beginning of last year is when I got hopelessly addicted. I must simply have never come back and checked this thread after that happened. Sorry about not replying to people. I try to reply to everyone.

Anyway, the game never did make progress after I got addicted to WoW, and has sat in its same condition since early January of last year. I've been thinking of getting back into this a bit lately, and may start hacking away again on things in a couple of weeks, once I get through a couple of large work projects.

About the only thing I've done since last posting here was to renew the domain name libertasmorte.com for a few more years. I let the freedomindeath.com one expire, as I just couldn't imagine using it.

To answery questions...

Cap, hoosierdude: I used Photoshop to make that first splash screen, but I think I have screens that are more to the stlye that I was looking for, but I never posted them. I'll have to go back and take a look at some point in time. But I did everything in Photoshop.

hoosierdude: Thanks, much belated!

Neon: Not too well, but might be time to make some progress in this again. I'd have to go back and relearn all the stuff I forgot, but I imagine learning it over again will go faster.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 03-05-2006 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #111
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

6 March 2006

Well, life is funny, but after reading a lot about Maximum Football and then reading the thread about life's goals and such, I've decided to get back into this a bit.

Just to give myself a bit of a fresh start, I'll likely start a new thread in the next few days.

Spent 30 minutes today rereading this thread to start the process of getting my head back into what I was doing.

Immediate Goals
-Working my way through the chapters that I covered in my VB book the first time I worked on this project.
-Finding the notebook that I was using for this project. Given that I've moved my office in the past year, finding this notebook might be a bit difficult.

I'm aiming to spend about 3 hours a week or so on the project, and hope to get back to where I was previously by the end of this month.
Old 03-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #112
Franklinnoble
Banned

Good luck... keep plugging away... I'm still reading.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:38 PM   #113
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Thanks Franklin,

I think I might have been a little bit quick on the gun with this one this time. After looking over all the work projects I need to get done between now and April 15, I realized that restarting this right now would be well, stupid. After April 15, though, life should revert to a more normal pace, and summers are usually good as well.

So, I've decided to aim for an April 16 restart. That should motivate me to get my real work done.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #114
Vince
Pro Starter

I'll be looking forward to it as well -- one of these days I might even try to code my own game
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:46 PM   #115
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
I'll be looking forward to it as well -- one of these days I might even try to code my own game

Even though I didn't get that far, I highly recommend it. VB isn't that hard to learn, and this was probably one of the most fun learning projects I've attempted in a while. There are tons of simple games you can make as learning projects, too. I'm really looking forward to getting back into this.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:53 PM   #116
Vince
Pro Starter

Yeah -- I started College as a Computer Science major, so I know a fair bit of C++ and Java. I just never kept up with it when I switched to History.

Like you said, I think this would be a tremendously fun project, and I'd learna bunch along the way.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 03-09-2006 at 04:54 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:06 AM   #117
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

If you need any help, GB... I'm a VB programmer. It's my occupation.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:33 AM   #118
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I'm learning VBscript...slowly.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote