Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2005, 01:44 AM   #251
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
Having a baby counts as "busy." And the Cardinals have a very liberal Family Leave policy. Take your time.

Thanks... there's more to it than that, if you can believe it. I'm dealing with:

* Psycho boss at work, throwing assloads of deadlines my way
* Week old baby girl, 17 month baby boy, and the 15 year old son who usually helps out is on a mission trip in Mexico.
* Brutal probate case ongoing - trial likely this week, could lose my home (long story, asswad relatives, blah blah blah)
* Ongoing coverage of the Michael Jackson trial (ok, I just threw that one in there)

Anyhow, serial fiction has still been on my mind, but I just haven't had time to make coherent posts with it yet... I have a lot of cool ideas about where things are going here (yes, we're going to call the ship the "Poopdeck"... and I've come up with a pirate name for Ardent... and a few of you other regulars might make it on the crew... ), so, hang tight... I'm not abandoning this by any means.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #252
StanGunner
Mascot

Story Card: Poopdeck's only true love is the sea. Says he likes women in his arms not on his hands. He brags that "No woman has been able to pin anything on him since he wore diapers."
StanGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 02:30 AM   #253
Franklinnoble
Banned

Calcutta, India
March, 2034

Rudolph Krupp just wanted to die, but the damned Indians wouldn't let him.

Both legs were broken in more than one place. Both arms were hideously twisted, and his left hand was so badly mangled and burned it would never work right again. He couldn't walk. He could hardly breathe through the busted ribs, the blood in his lungs, and the incredible stench of the room he was kept in. In short, his life was hell, and he just wanted it to be over.

Nobody had met the ransom demand, and even though he had told his captors of his unique scientific knowledge the second day of his torture, they had refused to believe him, and granted him no mercy. It had been so long now, it seemed, that he had forgotten what sunlight felt like, or what clean air smelled like.

He had stopped eating days ago, but the Indians had force-fed him water and nutrients. He didn't even have the strength to puke. They would keep him alive as long as they wanted, and there wasn't anything he could do about it.

Ted brought the submarine to a halt a quarter mile off the coast of India, just outside Calcutta. It was late at night, and safe to surface. Ardent climbed up to the deck with a pair of binoculars and looked westward towards the city.

"I can't believe we're this close. I think I can see a couple of people making out from here."

Ted replied. "They have no way of detecting us. We're invisible to sonar, radar, infrared, and any other means of detection. They'd have to crash into us to find us."

"We don't even have a crew yet. Think we can rescue that scientist?"

"We have to find him first."

"Got any idea how we manage that?"

"Yes. You stay with the boat. Launch the surveillance drones, and wait for my signal. I might need backup." Ted began to climb over the railing.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"I'm going to swim ashore. Leave this to me. I have full communcations ability - I'll keep you posted."

"Whatever you say. But if you get lost, I'm steering this bucket back to the States, and Franklin can have his damned boat back."

"Just launch the drones, and watch for my signal." With that, Ted dove overboard and began swimming towards Calcutta.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:12 AM   #254
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

woo.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:54 AM   #255
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm a perv. Rock.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:08 AM   #256
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

yes!
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:18 AM   #257
mhass
High School Varsity

Life is worth living again.

mhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:07 AM   #258
JeeberD
General Manager

Huzzah!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:11 PM   #259
Franklinnoble
Banned

Calcutta, India
March 2034

If you had a friend or relative kidnapped in India, you only got one phone call. After that, you had to find a way to let the kidnappers know you had the ransom, and pray that they didn't kill or kidnap you as well.

Ted knew that kidnapping was essentially a state-sponsored business in India. He simply went to the nearest police station and asked about the status of the Krupp case. He left a mobile phone number with the detective and then got lost in one of the city's many marketplaces while he awaited a call.

Vasuman Narayan had been a gangster for as long as he could remember. Orphaned on the streets of Calcutta when he was four, he had known nothing but a life of crime and brutality. Today he was one of the most respected and feared crimelords in the country, and his business interests ranged from drugs and guns to murder and kidnapping.

He rarely got involved in the smaller details of his business - he had other men to manage the day-to-day operations - men he could trust, because their predecessors had been killed at the mere suspicion of impropriety. But one of his interests had drawn some attention recently. A German scientist that had been kidnapped a month ago was suddenly drawing interest from the Chinese government, of all places. Two men were in his office to discuss it. The first was a Chinese secret police agent. The second did all the talking.

"Thank you for agreeing to see us today, Mr. Narayan. We are honored to have an audience with you. My name is Doctor Deng Xiou."

Narayan smiled. "I am always happy to do business with my Chinese friends. What can I do for you today?"

"We would like to negotiate for custody of a, ahem, guest of yours. Doctor Rudolph Krupp."

"I see. And what would your interest be with the good doctor?"

"He has some scientific knowledge that the Peoples Republic of China would like to obtain. I assume he is still alive, and in good health?"

"I can assure you he is alive. Dead 'guests' profit no one. But his health is not so good. I'm afraid he hasn't cared much for our hospitality."

"Well, I'm sure we would be willing to compensate you handsomely for his... transfer. What did you have in mind?"

"As a matter of fact, I've just received a call from a detective friend of mine who says the doctor has a relative who has come to Calcutta. Surely you can understand how I must at least hear what the family has to offer." Narayan smiled at his good fortune, and the pained look on Xiou's face - Dr. Krupp ought to smile as well, he thought; he had just about outlived his usefulness, and was scheduled to be dumped in a landfill sometime next week.

"I am sure we can make a competitive offer for Dr. Krupp's release. Please contact me at this number when you have some idea what it will take." Xiou handed him a card.

"But of course. Thank you for stopping by."

Narayan pondered the situation after the Chinese left. It would be best to let the Chinese win custody of the German - doing a favor for the Chinese government would certainly pay greater dividends than just selling the old fool back to his family. But there was no reason why he couldn't use the new bidder to increase the profit for him anyway.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:24 PM   #260
Tellistto
College Prospect

The dastardly Chinese of the future enter the picture.

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 04:55 PM   #261
Franklinnoble
Banned

Calcutta, India
March, 2034

It was almost a day later before Ted got the phone call. His "mobile" phone was just a subroutine embedded in his skull.

"Mr. Rommel. We have your uncle. The ransom is $20 million American dollars."

That was a lot higher than the initial demand. No that it mattered. Ted replied, in a thick Austrian accent, "That is much higher than I was told to expect."

"Your uncle has drawn much interest from other parties who would like to retain his... services. $20 million, if you wish to see him again."

This was the tricky part. "I may be able to manage that. But I would like to have proof of life. Could I speak to him, please?"

There was a slight pause on the other end of the line. Then, "Very well. But it will cost you. Deposit $1 million dollars in Hong Kong Republic Bank, account 112-23997K. Then you will get your phone call."

The line went dead. That would complicate things. He radioed the Poopdeck. "Captain, we've got a slight complication."

Ardent replied. "What?"

"I may be able to track Krupp down, but it's going to cost us $1 million."

Ardent chuckled. "Where the hell am I going to get that?"

"You'll have to bring the sub to periscope depth so we can get on the satellite to Franklin. I have the location for the guy I just talked to, but that's not going to do us much good. He could just be a messenger. I need to get Krupp on the phone."

"Alright. Stand by."

Ardent brought the Poopdeck up far enough to extend the communications antenna, and called Franklin. He filled him in on the details.

Franklin laughed. "No problem. I'll wire the money. As soon as he's free, I'll have John hack all that bastards accounts and take it all back, with plenty of interest. Tell Ted to expect the call soon - the money will be there shortly."

Narayan couldn't believe it. The dumb bastard must be in love with his uncle - he just wired a million bucks to an unnamed account just for a phone call. This deal was getting better all the time. He called one of his henchmen who was guarding the prisoner.

"Call this number and put that German fool on the phone for 30 seconds. Don't let him say anything important."

Narayan hung up. He would call the Chinese - the price for Krupp would have to go up again.

Ted got the call shortly after the money was wired. The surveillance satellites immediately went to work on triangulating the call source. In less than two seconds, less time than it took him to answer, he knew Krupp's location - an old sewage treatment plant just outside of town. Ted radioed the Poopdeck.

"Yeah?" Ardent answered.

"Surface the ship. Deploy the guns and get ready to provide cover fire. Open the flight deck - I'm calling the chopper. I'll radio back in a few - gotta take a call."

Ted answered the phone. "Yes?"

A hoarse voice spoke, "What? What? What is this? Who am I talking to?" Ted heard another voice telling the man to say hello to his nephew.

"My nephew? What nephew?"

Ted spoke. "Uncle Rudolph. This is your nephew Sam. I'm coming to get you. Keep your head down." Ted hung up. He was already heading towards the plant at a dead run.

The chopper appeared overhead a few moments later and lowered a cable and harness. Ted grabbed it and instructed the chopper to rise to 2000 feet and head over to the plant. The surveillance drones already had the area completely surveyed. By the infrared and electromagnetic scans, he could determine that Dr. Krupp was in a room on the first floor. There were three guards in the room next to him, including the man who had just let him make the phone call. There were five other guards around the perimeter of the facility.

They would be easy. The hard part was that the Indian military had no doubt been alerted to the presence of the helicopter, and, possibly, the Poopdeck. He would have to move fast. Ted radioed the ship.

"Captain, are you getting the surveillance."

Ardent replied. "Yep. This is so f'ing cool. Can these railguns really pick those guys off from here?"

"Yes. Program them for small explosives. Fire when ready."

The Poopdeck was armed with four guns - two machine guns and two cannons. They were not conventional weapons by any means. The rounds they fired were produced by nanomachines on demand - and nearly any sort of munitions imaginable was available. The machine guns had a rate of fire that dwarfed any conventional weapon. The cannons were the most sophisticated and accurate artillery ever developed. Small rounds no larger than beer bottle could be programmed for self guidance and could pack enough explosives to level a building.

Six rounds were fired from the cannons in under a second. One was programmed for the guard room inside, the other five for the individual patrols. The were self-guided, and arrived on target simultaneously five seconds after being fired. All eight guards were dead.

Ted let go of the harness, and fell 2000 feet into the room that now contained three dead guards. He landed deftly on his feet, and broke into the room containing Krupp. The man was in bad shape. Ted gently picked him up and immediately sedated him while carrying him to the roof of the building, where the helicopter was waiting for him.

As the chopper headed out to see, Ardent radioed him. "We've got incoming. Six Indian fast movers heading your way, and a destroyer heading mine."

"Dispatch the planes. We can submerge before the destroyer becomes a problem."

"Can I use the machine guns? The cannons don't seem very sporting."

"You're out of range for guns, and those planes will have me in sight soon."

"Yeah, you're right. Hold your course... wouldn't want you to drift into my lane of fire."

Ten seconds later all six planes disintigrated in balls of fire before their pilots ever knew they were being fired upon. Ted landed the chopper and brought the doctor to the medical bay. They submerged the sub and vanished.

Franklin received the news of the successful mission. Six Indian planes was a bit more attention that he would have liked, but, then again, they didn't have much of a crew available for any more finesse than that. John was already emptying the bank accounts of one Vasuman Narayan - an Indian crime lord and internationally wanted criminal.

"I wonder who else was interested in the Doctor - or do you think that was a bluff?"

John replied. "I don't think it was a bluff. I'm reading his phone records - he's been talking to the Chinese."

"Looks like we got him just in time then."

"Yes. But we need to keep an eye on the Chinese. I'm going to do some more research on this. I'd like to know exactly who is working on their nanotech program. We might have some more wet work for our Jolly Roger."

"That's not his name - didn't he tell you? He's calling himself Captain Flint now."

"Nice. All he needs is a parrot."
Old 04-22-2005, 05:01 PM   #262
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I demand a parrot!
Old 04-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #263
mhass
High School Varsity

And a wench.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #264
JeeberD
General Manager

And an eyepatch.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #265
Franklinnoble
Banned

The wench comes later. I'll have to see what I can do about the parrot. Maybe some cybernetically enhanced macaw or something.... think "Laserbeak" from the Transformers... What the hell... this dynasty lost its grip on reality a long, long time ago...
Old 04-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #266
Franklinnoble
Banned

I'm thinking the wench gets the eyepatch. Or maybe the parrot. I dunno... I gotta think about this one.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:11 PM   #267
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Me thinks me needs a cutlass and a patch for me eye. Garrh!
Old 04-22-2005, 05:12 PM   #268
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'll be cutting your throats for posting before me. No one crosses Captain Flint!
Old 04-22-2005, 05:45 PM   #269
Franklinnoble
Banned

A cutlass?
Old 04-22-2005, 10:02 PM   #270
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble

A cutlass?

Ye be walking the plank when I sees you, you scurvey swine.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:46 AM   #271
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Couldn't find a parrot with an eyepatch on google in my couple of minutes searching, but I figure this could help him out:

SI

Old 05-22-2005, 12:13 PM   #272
JeeberD
General Manager

You know, with your time in The Box you really should have been able to crank out a few chapters...

Old 05-22-2005, 12:14 PM   #273
Poli
FOFC Survivor

A commercial helped me with another demand.

I demand a hook!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:38 AM   #274
Franklinnoble
Banned

OK... time for some reader input here.

As you might already know, I just started a new job.

Of course, that means that I have a new computer. And, I don't have my old game on it. So, I can do one of two things here:

1. Re-boot this dynasty AGAIN. It's been done before. Like, 2 or 3 times. I can still find a way to re-introduce (or even maintain) the Ardent pirate storyline...
2. Dump the FOF altogether, and just turn this into a wacky serialized novel.

Thoughts?
Old 06-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #275
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Wait a minute...there's football in this dynasty?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:53 PM   #276
mhass
High School Varsity

If Ardent dies, I keel you.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:16 PM   #277
Franklinnoble
Banned

Yeah, I actually had football in this dynasty. That was, I thought, part of the appeal - importing reader-suggested players into each draft. I guess now's the time to let me know if that's something you still want or not.

Oh, and Ardent doesn't die. But there's a pretty close call for him during an incident with an Okinowan hooker...
Old 06-22-2005, 03:26 PM   #278
mhass
High School Varsity

Keep the football. Keep the FOFC characters. Keep the hooker. And her Snapper (http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...ad.php?t=39664)

Old 06-23-2005, 11:49 AM   #279
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Keep it. Keep it.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:00 PM   #280
Franklinnoble
Banned

Alright. Time to whip out my lame story reboot plot device again.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:05 PM   #281
Franklinnoble
Banned

Update is underway. I need the following:

• A name for a female antagonist/protagonist. Prefer one that doesn't sound like a crack whore or porn star. Bonus points given to suggestions based on FOFC women that might actually read this thread.
  • List of folks who want to be "regulars" in the story (besides Ardent). Suggest names if you like. No, you can't all be pirates.
  • Suggestion for NFL team to take over upon re-boot.
Get your feedback in here ASAP. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2005, 04:32 PM   #282
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Paris Hilton! oh wait you said not a crack or and porn star. oops
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:38 PM   #283
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Damn- there go all of my female name ideas

SI

Old 06-30-2005, 05:22 PM   #284
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Update is underway. I need the following:

• A name for a female antagonist/protagonist. Prefer one that doesn't sound like a crack whore or porn star. Bonus points given to suggestions based on FOFC women that might actually read this thread.
  • List of folks who want to be "regulars" in the story (besides Ardent). Suggest names if you like. No, you can't all be pirates.
  • Suggestion for NFL team to take over upon re-boot.
Get your feedback in here ASAP. Thanks!

Kristin Pilotte, aka terpkristin.

Do I have a hook?

Guila Monsters. Okay, Chiefs.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:25 PM   #285
mhass
High School Varsity

The Kansas City Guila Monster.

And I'd love a role. Just don't make me Indian. I hate curry.

Old 06-30-2005, 05:26 PM   #286
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

ohh iwant to be a regular : how about Nicholas Thomas Noonan other wise known as the Deacon.

Take over the Cardinals and move them to Canton. More Bulldogs!
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:44 PM   #287
Franklinnoble
Banned

OK... here's the deal... we're going back in time (again) to the mid-to-late 60's. We'll take over a ball team in 1970 or so... right about the time the league expands, and when historical draft files are available. We'll continue to add readers to the league and such, but I want to have a cast of regulars, too.

We need at least one woman.

I was leaning towards taking over a crappy expansion team.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:09 AM   #288
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If you did a crappy expansion team, you could do the Seahawks and work in some technology based Seattle plotline.

I'm in for a reoccuring character role but can't help with the woman thing

SI

Old 07-01-2005, 12:34 AM   #289
Izulde
Head Coach

Draft files you say?

Expansion teams you say?

Damn it, I may have to buy FOF and run a TCY/FOF dynasty after all.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:04 AM   #290
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
OK... here's the deal... we're going back in time (again) to the mid-to-late 60's. We'll take over a ball team in 1970 or so... right about the time the league expands, and when historical draft files are available. We'll continue to add readers to the league and such, but I want to have a cast of regulars, too.

We need at least one woman.

I was leaning towards taking over a crappy expansion team.

I wonder how Ardent fits in. I'm sure terpkristin would be game.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #291
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I love finding my name showing up in places where I'm so confused as to what's going on...

I second gila monsters, though...they just sound cool.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:39 PM   #292
Franklinnoble
Banned

There will be no Gila Monsters. There will be some slight revisionist history with the NFL circa 1970, but that's about it.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:13 PM   #293
Franklinnoble
Banned

Somwhere in the Caribbean
May, 2040

The U.S.S. Eisenhower had been decommissioned by the United States Navy over ten years ago, and thanks to the creative fiscal policy of the administration in power at the time, it had been sold off to a private buyer.

That buyer was Constantine Hilton. Constantine had won the aircraft carrier in an online auction, and immediately proceeded to make it his home. While Hilton was born wealthy, he had invested wisely in a diverse number of businesses, and by the time he was 30, he was one of the richest men in the world.

The Eisenhower still boasted many of the features and armament she had been equipped with while a part of the US Navy. The fact that she was a floating home and office for one of the world’s leading industrialists made her an attractive target, but the state of the art weaponry on board kept most pirates at bay. There was no longer a Navy Air wing on board, and the crew had been reduced substantially, but the ship still functioned as a small city of its own, and Hilton had every comfort on board that one could imagine. There were two private Learjets (specially retrofitted for carrier takeoff and landing) and four helicopters on deck. Below, in addition to spacious living quarters and fully equipped offices, were a greenhouse, movie theater, bowling alley, basketball court, and two indoor swimming pools. The ship had all the amenities of a luxury cruise liner, built into a swift, powerful naval vessel.

Constantine preferred cruising the Caribbean, and rarely sailed outside the Atlantic. Most of his business was in the United States and Europe, and he took the Lear when it was necessary for him to be anywhere else. He lived on the ship full time, with his only daughter. Her mother had left years ago, preferring life on shore over living at sea.

Kristin Hilton was a 12 year old prodigy. She had already earned a B.S. in Physics, and had offers for post-graduate scholarship programs around the world, but college bored her, and she now preferred to do her own research aboard the Eisenhower. She had almost unlimited resources, and wasn’t really accountable to anyone. And she was very, very close to a major breakthrough.

Captain Flint and his invincible sub, the Poopdeck, had become the stuff of nautical legend. There were no photos of him, his crew, or his ship. Only eyewitness accounts that spoke of an invisible ship that struck swiftly and without warning, and had, over the last few years, plundered countless billions from merchant vessels and sunken dozens of military ships.

In fact, they had been too successful. Trade in Asia was now done almost exclusively by truck, train, or airplane now. The economies of several nations had been nearly crippled, and the governments were starting to talk about normalizing relations with the West again. The Australian black market had been flooded with contraband, making each shipload less valuable than the one before it.

In short, Ardent had done his job with the sort of brutal efficiency one would expect from a top naval commander. He had assembled a small crew of reliable men who took pride in the crisp, professional execution of their duties.

But they were getting bored. There were few ships left to plunder, and even an entire flotilla couldn’t pose much of a challenge to the Poopdeck. So, Franklin was on his way to the ship now to meet with Ardent and his crew. He had new jobs lined up for all of them. It was time to get out of the pirate business.

Last edited by Franklinnoble : 07-04-2005 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:23 PM   #294
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm a bad man.
Old 07-05-2005, 08:58 AM   #295
mhass
High School Varsity

Word

Old 07-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #296
JeeberD
General Manager

So Captain Ardent is gonna kidnap and marry the 12 year old Kristen? Frightening...

Old 07-05-2005, 11:12 AM   #297
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
So Captain Ardent is gonna kidnap and marry the 12 year old Kristen? Frightening...

See what the box does to you?
Old 07-05-2005, 12:54 PM   #298
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

For me, the disturbing part is the "12 year old"

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 01:41 PM   #299
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
For me, the disturbing part is the "12 year old"

/tk

I would think the "marrying ardent" part would be most disturbing... but, hey, love @ FOFC... I can dig it...
Old 07-06-2005, 04:20 PM   #300
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass
The Kansas City Guila Monster.

And I'd love a role. Just don't make me Indian. I hate curry.

I need names for you guys. Anyone who wants in the story had better post a name suggestion or two quickly...