Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2019, 11:03 PM   #1651
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Is it also in a lockbox with the key in a separate spot or some sort of biometric way to unlock it?

If not I wouldn't consider that very secure at all.

Nope. If I can easily break a window to grab it, it is not secure. If a kid can easily break a window and grab it, it is not secure and child endangerment. It should be 1) in your possession, or 2) in lockbox or gun safe. I am in houses all the time where a gun is laying on the night stand. Houses with children in them, mind. There are way to many gun owners who are too irresponsible. Toughen laws to make it harder for criminals to get guns.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:27 AM   #1652
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
So John who lives in an impoverished community within Chicago is convicted of a gun crime. He cannot afford to pay the fine, are you sending him to jail for not paying the fine? He obtained the firearm despite not being able to legally obtain the firearm, so how exactly do you take away his "further firearm rights"?

And the alternative is... do nothing?
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #1653
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Gangs don't use those weapons. They use handguns and rifles.

In which case John will be fine

Phew, that's a relief, I was worried about the poor fella for a while there.
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #1654
PilotMan
Head Coach

Seems approps.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...l_ideas&wpmm=1

Quote:
“Democrats say we have guns in America because of ‘corruption.’ No, we have guns because it’s our God-given right enshrined in the Constitution." — Former White House press secretary Sarah Sanders
Yes, this is true, and it is good that we talk about it. This is a fact about the American founding that has been suppressed for too long. Certainly all the firearms that sprout Hydra-like across the country were acquired by no mortal means, and it is important for us to describe exactly how they came about, so that we may better understand and appreciate them.

The year is not important. But it was a long time ago, at least 230 years.
The country possessed many wonders. There were waterfalls, rocks, rills, woods, templed hills. There were raccoons, small nervous bears that were forever washing their hands like tiny Ladys Macbeth. There were armadillos. There was even syphilis and Christianity, both thoughtful gifts from Europe. But when one surveyed the country from above, something seemed to be missing. What was it?
Suddenly, thunder rumbled. In the hall in Philadelphia where they were gathered to write a Constitution, and also in Virginia where George Mason was crafting the Virginia Declaration of Rights (confusingly, these events were in different years, but theologians assure me this is possible), the delegates shuddered, and Benjamin Franklin had to rub James Madison’s back soothingly and murmur to him so his hands stopped shaking enough to be able to start taking notes again.
“BEHOLD,” said a thundering voice from a cloud. (Madison had resumed taking his notes at this point, which is how we know this.) The heavens parted. An enormous hand stretched forth, holding a mysterious black object, long and pointed like a stick.
“I’M GIVING YOU THIS,” the hand said. “A GIFT, FROM ME TO YOU, THAT NO ONE CAN EVER TAKE AWAY.”
“What is it?” the delegates asked.
“JUST TAKE IT,” the hand said. “DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT.”
“What’s it for?” the delegates asked.
“KILLING,” the hand said. “INDISCRIMINATELY. CHILDREN, TEENAGERS, GRANDMOTHERS, PARENTS ON THEIR WAY TO PICK UP THEIR KIDS FROM SCHOOL. TODDLERS. I GUESS YOU COULD USE IT FOR HUNTING, BUT NOT IF YOU WERE PARTICULARLY GOOD AT HUNTING.”
“Like a musket?” someone asked.
The voice laughed long and loud and rumblingly. “ONLY IN THE LOOSEST SENSE,” the voice said. “FOR BEHOLD, THIS CAN FIRE 600 ROUNDS PER MINUTE.”
“This seems like it could be useful in a war,” Mason said, not unreasonably.
“I DON’T MEAN IN WAR,” the voice said. “THAT GOES WITHOUT SAYING. I MEAN, IN PRIVATE HOMES AND ON CITY STREETS AND UNLOCKED IN CABINETS IN HOUSES WITH TODDLERS IN THEM, AND IN THE HANDS OF POLICE OFFICERS.”
“Oh,” the delegates said. “Uh, well.”
“IT IS IMPORTANT TO ME THAT YOU HAVE THIS,” the voice said.
“Is this for the well-regulated militia?” someone asked.
“NOT REALLY,” the voice said. “DON’T GET DISTRACTED. IF ANYONE TRIES TO RESTRICT IT TO THAT, SAY NO. SAY I GAVE YOU THESE. SAY THEY’RE FROM ME AND THEY’D BETTER NOT TRY TO TAKE THEM.”
“I have a slight question,” Benjamin Franklin said.
“STOP ASKING QUESTIONS,” the voice said. “AND IF ANYONE EVER SAYS, ‘THERE ARE TOO MANY, THESE ARE TOO DANGEROUS, WE DON’T WANT THEM ANY MORE, THE MILITIA THING HAS REALLY WANED SO IT SEEMS LIKE MOSTLY THEY ARE USED TO CAUSE ACCIDENTS IN THE HOME, TO INCREASE THE LIKELIHOOD THAT PEOPLE WHO WANT TO END THEIR LIVES WILL BE ABLE TO DO SO, AND TO DECREASE THE NUMBER OF CHILDREN AND CIVILIANS,’ YOU MUST SAY NO, BECAUSE I TOLD YOU SO AND I AM PLEASED TO BEHOLD THIS GREAT WORK.”
The clouds began to close. These objects began to rain from the sky in a great profusion. Large and small, shiny and dull. They fell onto the table until you could not see the Constitution underneath them.
The voice receded in a great rumbling.
“Wait! Do you think the electoral college is a good system?” Madison yelled after it. But there was no answer.
The objects lay there in a pile on the green felt-covered table. Nobody would touch them for a long time.
“How do we," one of the delegates started, then stopped. “Uh, how do we indicate all of that, in the Constitution?"
Madison sighed. “Let’s just put in the militia thing,” he said. “All of that may well happen, but I am not certain we should give it a head start.”
Franklin sighed. “This is why I’m a deist.”
That is as far as the notes go on the day when God gave us all this God-given right.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:30 AM   #1655
QuikSand
lolzcat

Wow, this thread nearly rolled off the front page...

#ThoughtsAndPrayers up for... (spins wheel)... #KansasCity
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #1656
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Sir, I think you're looking for the bar/entertainment venue mass shooting thread, not the school mass shooting thread.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #1657
QuikSand
lolzcat

Four or five people dead, nine injured, by some jackass opening fire in public... yeah no big deal for this country any more. Hardly worth a hashtag, even.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #1658
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Four or five people dead, nine injured, by some jackass opening fire in public... yeah no big deal for this country any more. Hardly worth a hashtag, even.

Yep. I only saw it on Al-Jazeera US site. Had to Google to find other articles.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #1659
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Brief mention on Twitter of an arrest from one of the major news sites, but before that I wouldn’t have known that this incident had occurred were it not for Quik posting about it.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:30 AM   #1660
MrBug708
Head Coach

Jealous Ex kills woman, boyfriend, and woman's family

https://www.google.com/amp/s/au.news...025502608.html
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #1661
QuikSand
lolzcat

#Pelham
Old 10-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #1662
QuikSand
lolzcat

...we'll sort out whether it's newsworthy at some point. Might only be a handful of families ruined, in other words, nothing really to worry about, just another day in modern America.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:33 AM   #1663
Ben E Lou

#TAMUC
Old 10-27-2019, 02:48 AM   #1664
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
#TAMUC
Prevailing hash tag for this is going to be #Commerce, it would appear, but be careful: numerous posts on Twitter and IG of graphic video from the scene.

Official reports say 3 dead, over 20 wounded. Unofficial 5/27.
Old 10-27-2019, 06:49 AM   #1665
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Prevailing hash tag for this is going to be #Commerce, it would appear, but be careful: numerous posts on Twitter and IG of graphic video from the scene.

Official reports say 3 dead, over 20 wounded. Unofficial 5/27.

Heartbreaking that kids in a party just suddenly get attacked. I was just on CNN, nothing on the front page.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:39 AM   #1666
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Heartbreaking that kids in a party just suddenly get attacked. I was just on CNN, nothing on the front page.

Sad news. Pretty screwed up. Its on CNN mobile.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 07:48 AM   #1667
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

It was under a story about a phone scam in the national news section. I get that it is outshined by the terrorist killing, but a phone scam? We're just numb to garden variety mass shootings.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:29 PM   #1668
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gunfire erupts at vigil for victim of Texas homecoming shooting

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...oting-n1072631

Anybody seen Robert Duvall and Sean Penn? More and more I think this case calls for their special expertise.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:11 AM   #1669
QuikSand
lolzcat

#Orinda
Old 11-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #1670
QuikSand
lolzcat

Unnerving twitter thread about #SantaClarita

Old 11-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #1671
MrBug708
Head Coach

My nephew goes there. My MIL was taking him to school this morning and I believe got there after it all went down. One of my nephew's friend saw the shooting as it happens. Sounds like one dead, 15 year old male shooting suspect apprehended.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #1672
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, my boss moved to the area 6 months ago and his kids go to that HS. As you can imagine he’s pretty shaken.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #1673
SackAttack
Head Coach

I went to Hart, not Saugus, but Santa Clarita is still my old stomping grounds. I lived there longer than I've lived anywhere else, and that includes Green Bay, where I've been now for 11 years.

So that's still "home" in a lot of ways to me, and this just pisses me right the fuck off. Not that the other school shootings DON'T, but this one goes to 11.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #1674
JPhillips
General Manager

I know it's very, very unlikely that this will happen in my daughter's school, but that doesn't mean I don't worry about it.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #1675
MrBug708
Head Coach

My nephew was in ROTC with one of the students who died. His best friend was the third student in a group of three, two of which who were shot and she has been the main witness for a lot of the investigation right now.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #1676
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
My nephew was in ROTC with one of the students who died. His best friend was the third student in a group of three, two of which who were shot and she has been the main witness for a lot of the investigation right now.

That is horrible. Hope they get what they need to move on. There was a shooting behind my nephews school the other day . The victim ran in to the school and all hell broke loose. It is horrible these kids and young adults have to go through this
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #1677
lungs
Pro Rookie

I have a lot of family in Santa Clarita, including my brother. Apparently a girl that was shot is a friend of my cousin’s family. Thankfully, she will survive.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #1678
SegRat
High School Varsity

A kid stabbed a school resource officer today in Oshkosh Wisconsin. The officer had to shoot the 16 year old student. I really hate where society has gone. I never worried or even thought about this crap when I was in school. Now it’s happened in my town.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #1679
RainMaker
General Manager

Saudi military member went on a mass shooting and killed people at a Naval base in Florida.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/pen...ter/index.html

Cops went on a shooting spree and killed not just the two robbers but an innocent UPS driver and someone sitting in their car.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...238090049.html
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:53 PM   #1680
JPhillips
General Manager

That shooting in Miami is crazy. I can't believe the cops opened fire like that surrounded by civilians in cars.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #1681
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That shooting in Miami is crazy. I can't believe the cops opened fire like that surrounded by civilians in cars.

They were using the civilian cars with civilians inside as shields!
Old 12-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #1682
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They were using the civilian cars with civilians inside as shields!

Yeah. People should lose their jobs and the city will end up paying out a fortune in lawsuits.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:02 PM   #1683
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Cocaine Cowboys 3: The Law Enforcement Edition
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #1684
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm really glad that the shooter in Pensacola was just a Saudi national, and not some true enemy like an abortion supporting democrat or something. Such an aberration from the good, fun loving people of Saudi Arabia. They've never had anything but goodwill toward the people of the US.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:32 PM   #1685
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I'm really glad that the shooter in Pensacola was just a Saudi national, and not some true enemy like an abortion supporting democrat or something. Such an aberration from the good, fun loving people of Saudi Arabia. They've never had anything but goodwill toward the people of the US.

Does this mean we have to invade Iraq again?
Old 02-26-2020, 08:08 PM   #1686
lungs
Pro Rookie

What's the minimum body count to bump this thread? I was going to bump this thread with MillerCoors but then thought that five dead is pretty weak for bumping this. So I did anyway for having that thought.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:16 PM   #1687
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
What's the minimum body count to bump this thread? I was going to bump this thread with MillerCoors but then thought that five dead is pretty weak for bumping this. So I did anyway for having that thought.

As long as it's a high enough body count to spark another useless, repetitive, gun-control vs gun-rights debate then you're good.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #1688
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
As long as it's a high enough body count to spark another useless, repetitive, gun-control vs gun-rights debate then you're good.

Yeah, but this time we can add in the socialist-commie-worshipper-Bernie and how he has enabled the NRA. But Bernie supporters don't care about that, they just want the freebies

Last edited by Edward64 : 02-26-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:30 PM   #1689
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I actually agree with Bernie's vote to give immunity to gun manufacturers for selling legal products.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #1690
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I actually agree with Bernie's vote to give immunity to gun manufacturers for selling legal products.

That wasn't the only one. For your example, he's playing politics now and is "adapting".

Bernie Sanders’s record on gun control, explained - Vox
Quote:
In 1993, Sanders fulfilled a campaign promise and voted against the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, which effectively set up background checks at the federal level. He said he opposed the measure because it imposed a five-day waiting period for background checks — at least until the federal government, years later, could develop an instant background check system that can take up to three days if the initial check is inconclusive
:
:
As the criticisms continued to stack up, though, Sanders’s tune began to change. In early 2016, he said he would sponsor a bill repealing the law that protects gun companies from lawsuits.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:20 AM   #1691
RainMaker
General Manager

Some guy just livestreamed himself shooting up a mall in Arizona. Guess things are going back to normal.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:32 AM   #1692
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Some guy just livestreamed himself shooting up a mall in Arizona. Guess things are going back to normal.

gee...that's....such...relieving....news...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:19 AM   #1693
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

We go to this place a lot as it is about 15 minutes from our house so this really hits close to home. Plus One of my former Football players was there and thankfully unhurt, but he was pretty shaken.

If this had happened in 'normal' times with the regular crowds this place draws the carnage could have been severe. Thankfully only 3 shot and at this point all still alive.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:40 AM   #1694
tarcone
Coordinator

Where was this shooting? My wife has a nephew in Phoenix.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #1695
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Where was this shooting? My wife has a nephew in Phoenix.

Westgate entertainment district. It is the plaza adjacent to where the Coyotes and Cardinals play.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #1696
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Sadly with the stress/anxiety level of both the pandemic and the massive unemployment my guess is this thread will be busy again soon. Just haven't been many targets the last couple of months.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #1697
JPhillips
General Manager

Not much in this story, but calling it terrorism-related a few days after the disclosure that the Pensacola shooter was affiliated with AQ certainly raises eyebrows.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:32 PM   #1698
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

They just arrested the video taker from the Arbery shooting.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:12 PM   #1699
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

8 people shot in a mass shooting last night in Chicago. 3 were children.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #1700
cuervo72
Head Coach

Put them in school, folks don't care. Put them in Chicago, same folks all of a sudden do.