Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-20-2022, 04:06 PM   #51
RainMaker
General Manager

I think I'm fascinated that it's getting such great reviews because the trailer and ads make it look like a generic action movie sequel. Nothing wrong with that, but those kind of movies don't exactly get great reviews.

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:31 PM   #52
Edward64
Head Coach

I've seen a couple of these articles in my news feed (been googling on reviews of Top Gun 2) and I'm thinking this is an over analysis, looking for something that isn't there.

But then I read the articles and think, hmmm do they have a point?

And then I go back to nah, over analysis.

Quote:
Others in the culture had floated this notion. When the film came out in 1986, New Yorker film critic Pauline Kael had labeled it a "shiny homoerotic commercial." And then Quentin Tarantino acting in the1994 indie "Sleep With Me" had a whole riff on the supposed gay subtext of the movie and how it was about Mav's "struggle with his own homosexuality."

So prevalent was this idea that in 2016 Yahoo! News did an article on it and pressed Jack Epps Jr., a co-writer on the film, whether it was true. And then last May, for the 35th anniversary of the movie, Vulture got in on the riddle and asked Jerry Bruckheimer, the producer of the film, about the conjecture.

What the critique overlooked though, and what many who have not seen the original in many years have forgotten, is that the film is a Trojan Horse. It lures you in with its soaring jets and preening male fighter jocks, but the real story is one about male vulnerability. As millions get excited to see the sequel and revel in watching Mav "kick some ass!" it's instructive to see that the original is not about the macho mystique, and nor is it a sly, reductive Easter egg about sexual repression. "Top Gun" explores something much larger and more timely for today: the complex sensitivities of men.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:56 PM   #53
PilotMan
Head Coach

Just saw it. There is humanity in there, and males...shockingly have humanity....that up there? That's overreaching times 10,000.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:22 AM   #54
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
97% on Rotten Tomatoes and the AVClub (IMO a tough rater) gives it an A-. Jesus.

Read the AV review which said love interest Penny was referenced in first movie. In the article comments ...

Quote:
From the first movie:

Stinger: Maverick, you just did an incredibly brave thing. What you should have done was land your plane! You don’t own that plane, the tax payers do! Son, your ego is writing checks your body can’t cash. You’ve been busted, you lost your qualifications as section leader three times, put in hack twice by me, with a history of high speed passes over five air control towers, and one admiral’s daughter!

Goose: Penny Benjamin?
Old 05-29-2022, 11:42 AM   #55
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I enjoyed it. Just about the right level of nostalgia plus fun.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:47 PM   #56
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I saw someone post on Twitter that the plot was basically Dead Poets Society with fighter jets.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:50 PM   #57
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I saw someone post on Twitter that the plot was basically Dead Poets Society with fighter jets.

Obviously not a fan. Not even close
Old 05-29-2022, 06:09 PM   #58
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't know, just saw it scrolling through twitter.

“When an esteemed alum returns to teach at his alma mater, his unconventional style runs afoul of the the administration, threatening the lives of his pupils, but ultimately transforming his young students forever.”
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 06:46 PM   #59
RainMaker
General Manager

This movie kicked ass.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:36 PM   #60
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Very very good movie. Lots of throwback nostalgia. Lots of fun action sequences. And a real story. It would have been easy for this movie to just be nostalgia and fighter jets. But they made it a movie, too.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:46 PM   #61
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Very very good movie. Lots of throwback nostalgia. Lots of fun action sequences. And a real story. It would have been easy for this movie to just be nostalgia and fighter jets. But they made it a movie, too.

100% agree with this statement.

Did you also get the Tom Cruise opening remarks? That was pretty strange for a regular movie, I'd usually only expect to see something like that at a film festival.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:24 AM   #62
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
100% agree with this statement.

Did you also get the Tom Cruise opening remarks? That was pretty strange for a regular movie, I'd usually only expect to see something like that at a film festival.

Yes. They did that at Alamo Drafthose.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:17 AM   #63
Kodos
Resident Alien

It felt so great the first time Maverick was up there in his F-18 schooling the cool kids. Really enjoyed the movie. Will likely go see it again.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:26 PM   #64
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The sequences with flying made the price of the movie ticket worth it. The rest of the movie made me want watch to Hot Shots! for the first time in many years. And I did. And it was hilarious. They need to make another one. Pretty much all the cast in the original except Lloyd Bridges is still alive. Make it happen.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 06-05-2022 at 04:27 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:31 PM   #65
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Also Jennifer Connelly still has a nice booty.
Old 06-05-2022, 06:55 PM   #66
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And what was the excuse for not using F-35s?
Old 06-05-2022, 07:15 PM   #67
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The idea that the Navy would use F-35s for missions with any appreciable possibility of loss would strain credulity too much. Plus, can they really fly reliably now?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 07:34 PM   #68
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

No reason to think they couldn't fly that mission. Then again you have to take any information regarding new military hardware with a grain of salt.

You'd have to take the entire premise of the movie with a mountain of salt while you're at it.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:01 AM   #69
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I should have put a smiley as I was playing up the tortured history of the F-35 development program.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:01 AM   #70
Edward64
Head Coach

Are we ready to talk about the movie now with spoilers? If so, I'll update the title?

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-08-2022 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:29 AM   #71
Edward64
Head Coach

Tom Cruise & James Corden. Clip is a little long but he takes Corden up in a P-51 prop plan and later in a jet trainer.

See starting at approx 10:30 for the jet.

Didn't really know but guess it makes sense that Cruise can fly jets. And the movie scenes with that P-51 makes more sense now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1iZ...ithJamesCorden
Old 06-09-2022, 07:38 AM   #72
Edward64
Head Coach

Alright, its been out for 2 weeks now. I've put the spoiler tag on the title, so let's discuss Maverick!
Old 06-09-2022, 08:04 AM   #73
Edward64
Head Coach

I liked the air training & combat scenes. I wish they did more. I'm like you guys, why not the F-35 (or cruise missiles). The movie said GPS jamming but that sounded hokey to me. And if the F18 was really needed for the bombing runs, how come they didn't have F-35 close by (e.g. Hangman & others) to support them once the bombs were done?

The throwback to them stealing the F-14 was classic. And the Warlock and Cyclone scene of incredulity when they realized why Rooster's beacon was going supersonic. That last 30 min made the movie for me. That was "new" stuff vs rehash much of the original.

All those SAMs flying around was fantastic.

Not sure I like the Iranians being the bad guy. Could have lived with another fictitious "stan" instead.

I hated the simplified computer graphics when they were training the 2:30min run. Why are you dead graphics. I know they had to do something for the big screen but seems it could have been a little more "sophisticated".

The volleyball scene was good but not as "macho" (?) as the original. The beginning scene with the carrier operations and Dangerzone ... I'd like another 1-2 minutes of that.

Val Kilmer scene in the office was too hokey. I like he was Maverick's guardian angel but honestly, wouldn't he have been shipped off with his disability that returned?

Really hope there is a Top Gun 3. Cyclone had that tacit acknowledgement/smile at the end on the carrier so figure he can be the new guardian angel. Give us one more Tom, in the next 3 years, you ain't no spring chicken anymore.

Wasn't sure about Maverick's love interest but think Jennifer Connelly was the perfect MILFy foil.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-09-2022 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:26 AM   #74
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I hated the simplified computer graphics when they were training the 2:30min run. Why are you dead graphics. I know they had to do something for the big screen but seems it could have been a little more "sophisticated".

I think that was a not-subtle nod/homage to the Star Wars Death Star attack planning computer graphics.

This movie was a throwback/celebration of the original Top Gun. But also to 80s movies generally.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 06-09-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:52 AM   #75
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that was a not-subtle nod/homage to the Star Wars Death Star attack planning computer graphics.

This movie was a throwback/celebration of the original Top Gun. But also to 80s movies generally.

I get that, same with like blowing up the Death Star.

But darnit, they could still have done a better job. It's way too cheesy.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:27 PM   #76
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
This is going to be a pile of poop.
I am a man, and I will admit how wrong I was. That was an excellent movie. Like, light years better than the original. It was also probably my last movie theater experience. I have no interest in seeing another movie in the theater.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 08:34 PM   #77
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I liked the air training & combat scenes. I wish they did more. I'm like you guys, why not the F-35 (or cruise missiles). The movie said GPS jamming but that sounded hokey to me. And if the F18 was really needed for the bombing runs, how come they didn't have F-35 close by (e.g. Hangman & others) to support them once the bombs were done?
That was among the biggest unrealistic parts. I can totally accept they needed to make the run in the F-18's, but why the world wouldn't they have F-35, or even more F-18's flying CAP while making the run? If the could cruise missile the airbase, why not the SAM's? Heck, why not cruise missile the sight for that matter. The story was good enough that I could let that go, though. The main reason I just don't like action movies anymore is the stories usually can't make up for the implausibility of the action. As in the Mission Impossible trailer I saw before TGM. Those are just crap.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:57 PM   #78
Edward64
Head Coach

Top Gun has reached over $1B in box office and top grossing film this year.

Go ahead and add my $24.99 in Nov BF.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:43 PM   #79
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 07-01-2022, 10:53 AM   #80
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

For people who have seen it. OK for a 9 year old girl? She is pretty mature for her age. We don't really shelter her. She's seen stuff like The Bachelor with my wife. Just trying to make sure there isn't anything really over the top with sex or inuendo. Language is fine, she's a Jersey kid.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:04 AM   #81
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think it's fine for her.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:01 PM   #82
PilotMan
Head Coach

The original movie had more sex. It's implied here, but mostly it's just a nod to the original and then it moves on. I don't think you'll have anything to worry about either.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:43 PM   #83
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What an absolutely fantastic movie. My wife was the one who wanted to see it. We all loved it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 11:59 AM   #84
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 08-26-2022, 12:29 PM   #85
Edward64
Head Coach

Amazon says 4K coming out Nov 1. Hoping it'll have a ton of specials.

Won't spend the $30 (hey, watched it 3 times already) so will wait for a BF sale.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:41 PM   #86
Edward64
Head Coach

Maverick is out on Prime rental for $6.

Currently #11 biggest sales worldwide @$1.46B (Furious 7 is #10?). Avatar is #1 @$2.85B.

Watched it tonight with the missus. Still continues to entertain (although there's more 'that ain't real' stuff the comes to mind). Looking forward to the 4K on BF.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:38 PM   #87
Edward64
Head Coach

With Top Gun 2 doing so well, I wonder why other countries aren't copying the formula. A Chinese or UK or India version etc. The enemy is fictious anyway so you'd think any country with Carrier group (or even air force really) could duplicate the formula (legally) somehow. May not play well internationally but you'd think it would do well domestically.

Or is the Top Gun machismo/bravado only a uniquely US thing?
Old 09-23-2022, 12:09 AM   #88
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Malaysia is doing it. Very heavily promoted here. Did well locally.

Air Force the Movie: Selagi Bernyawa (2022) - IMDb

Air Force The Movie: Selagi Bernyawa - First 10 Minutes - YouTube

I'm not smart enough to know how to embed.

Last edited by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding : 09-23-2022 at 12:10 AM.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:02 PM   #89
Edward64
Head Coach

Thanks! I watched the trailer and it didn't have any jets or dogfighting. Seems to be more of ground commando-like action.

Will have to see if it's on Netflix or Prime.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:28 AM   #90
Edward64
Head Coach

Good news!

‘Top Gun 3’ in early development with Tom Cruise at Paramount | CNN
Quote:
Tom Cruise is gearing up to fly back for a third installment of “Top Gun.”
:
No deals are in place yet, but CNN has learned that the idea is to reunite the producers of the film – Cruise, Jerry Bruckheimer and director Joseph Kosinski – and given that the film would be a sequel to “Maverick,” Cruise’s younger co-stars, Miles Teller and Glen Powell, would conceivably also be back.

The script is not finalized, but a first draft is being developed by writer Ehren Kruger, who co-wrote “Top Gun: Maverick,” this source also said.