Head Coach

Congrats to Kansas.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2022, 06:44 PM   #452
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I completely forgot Emoni Bates reclassified and was playing for Memphis. He's fallen a long way from the next Lebron.

And Bates has decided to transfer.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:37 PM   #453
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Jay Wright retiring?

Also not a shock, but Oscar is coming back to UK for one more season. That was expected. I wonder what the NIL deal looks like.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:38 PM   #454
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Also not a shock, but Oscar is coming back to UK for one more season. That was expected. I wonder what the NIL deal looks like.

2 mil
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 07:29 PM   #455
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Jay Wright retiring?

What's the story behind the story here? I mean, HOF college coach at 60 still at the top of his game doesn't just up and retire very often

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-20-2022 at 07:30 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:24 PM   #456
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
What's the story behind the story here? I mean, HOF college coach at 60 still at the top of his game doesn't just up and retire very often

SI

Reports are that he wants to spend more time with his family. I also think that after 35 years of doing the job one way, he probably does not want to deal with all that a head coach has to deal with concerning NIL, its effects on recruiting etc. I don't mean that in a negative way either. He would not be the first person to decide they did not want to learn and/or be a part of a new system at work and up and retired.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 09:55 PM   #457
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Reports are that he wants to spend more time with his family. I also think that after 35 years of doing the job one way, he probably does not want to deal with all that a head coach has to deal with concerning NIL, its effects on recruiting etc. I don't mean that in a negative way either. He would not be the first person to decide they did not want to learn and/or be a part of a new system at work and up and retired.

Everybody says "I want to spend more time with family" because it's the "right thing" to say. And, while I think that's true in the abstract (I mean, most of us do), it's really rare for that to be the whole and actual answer. Usually, for high powered players they've usually lost a step or 3, same with high powered coaches or they want out of their current situation, or politicians as for them, there's usually some sort of a scandal, their money has dried up, they have a better grift in the private sector, etc.

What if the 76ers lose in the second round or Doc Rivers jets to the Lakers? Does he have the inside line on the Spurs job when Pop retires next year? If he retires and never coaches again except maybe like the Olympics or something which is not a full time job, he actually wanted to spend more time with his family. But I'm betting against that being the case. So, yeah, I'm kindof wondering what the real reason is.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-20-2022 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 06:06 AM   #458
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Everybody says "I want to spend more time with family" because it's the "right thing" to say. And, while I think that's true in the abstract (I mean, most of us do), it's really rare for that to be the whole and actual answer. Usually, for high powered players they've usually lost a step or 3, same with high powered coaches or they want out of their current situation, or politicians as for them, there's usually some sort of a scandal, their money has dried up, they have a better grift in the private sector, etc.

What if the 76ers lose in the second round or Doc Rivers jets to the Lakers? Does he have the inside line on the Spurs job when Pop retires next year? If he retires and never coaches again except maybe like the Olympics or something which is not a full time job, he actually wanted to spend more time with his family. But I'm betting against that being the case. So, yeah, I'm kindof wondering what the real reason is.

SI

When speaking of high level coaching, that skepticism you describe is earned. That is why I just said what was reported. Evidently, he is going to continue have some role with the school.

I just don't see a reason Jay Wright would leave Villanova under the guise of "spending time with the family" to go after a job in the pros given the career he has had. Maybe someone is giving him (hyperbole alert) $20 million a year to coach. Maybe he needs to challenge himself against the coaches in the pro game as opposed to coaches in the college game. I don't know. If that is something he needs and comes back, then sure he is just like everyone else.

Maybe I am projecting my thoughts on to Jay Wright. To have that resume by the age of 60 and the rewards that have come from it after 35 years of living a coach's life? Yeah, I am hanging out with the family and coming into to my ceremonial office once or twice a week.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-21-2022, 07:00 AM   #459
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If someone paid me a couple million dollars a year to make a couple of fundraising appearances but get me away from the everyday grind of my job so I could do whatever I wanted with the time, I'd take it in a heartbeat and never look back. But I'm also not a hyper-competitive high level coach - those dudes seem wired differently so that's why I'm curious - as you said, I think that's skepticism is earned.

I'm also totally open to him just being the highest profile coach to look at NIL and going "I'm too old for this crap".

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-21-2022 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 07:15 AM   #460
Ksyrup

Yep, I see this along the same lines as teachers, truckers, medical workers and others who have been affected by Covid and the "new world order" they have to live with, and many of them are just saying "screw it" and leaving.

All the more easy to do when you've made a ton of money and are going out on good terms with the offer of a nice financial cushion to remain semi-active.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-21-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:26 AM   #461
Ksyrup

Another expected move involving UK, Shaedon Sharpe is going pro.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:21 PM   #462
miami_fan
Coordinator

What was the point of Sharpe going to Kentucky from the school's POV? I know the possibilities of what the kid was getting while he was there but it does not make sense for the school to bring in an extremely talented practice player for a year. I read that Cal was looking to red-shirt him but that is insane thinking for a kid that was a lottery pick candidate when he left high school.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:44 PM   #463
Ksyrup

I've never understood it. Halfway through the season the guards were hurt and he could have played him, but Cal said he was hurt. Then, he changed his tune to something about the family's wishes.

It feels like Cal was either duped or went along with it, neither of which make him look very good.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:05 PM   #464
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
If someone paid me a couple million dollars a year to make a couple of fundraising appearances but get me away from the everyday grind of my job so I could do whatever I wanted with the time, I'd take it in a heartbeat and never look back. But I'm also not a hyper-competitive high level coach - those dudes seem wired differently so that's why I'm curious - as you said, I think that's skepticism is earned.

I'm also totally open to him just being the highest profile coach to look at NIL and going "I'm too old for this crap".

SI

Yup.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:43 PM   #465
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Astonished that Dickinson is coming back to Michigan. I was surprised he didn't go pro last year.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 07:18 AM   #466
HerRealName
College Prospect

It's interesting, I don't think he has an NBA future but he's a very good college basketball player. He's now in a situation where he can make more money from NIL deals than he can overseas. Between this and the Pack situation, it's suddenly a great time to be a good college player.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:36 AM   #467
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
It's interesting, I don't think he has an NBA future but he's a very good college basketball player. He's now in a situation where he can make more money from NIL deals than he can overseas. Between this and the Pack situation, it's suddenly a great time to be a good college player.

I really hope the scenario you describe happens more often as opposed to having kids leave school even though they are not ready either on or off the court.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:01 PM   #468
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Memphis transfer Emoni Bates commits to Eastern Michigan - On3

Ignoring other factors it'll be kind of cool to see him play in the MAC. He still has the talent and it's not like he's had an injury (or Memphis was a well run program).
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote