Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #51
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow, what an ending! Hamilton definitely does have the right to complain, but the stewards have made a bunch of controversial decisions this year it seems - some of them benefiting Hamilton quite a bit as well. In the end, it was a pretty fantastic, competitive racing year and it's been a while since we've had that.

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #52
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Bizar ending to the F1 season. The coverage team for national radio here talked about how Max Verstappen would need a random crash late in the game to get into a scenario where he'd have a chance to win - and they quickly added that it would be unsportsmanlike to hope for Hamilton to crash. Their wishes were commanded.

Shortly after the race, people over here were ecstatic as if he won the FIFA World Cup (surely they were just looking for a lame excuse to fool around with their illegal fireworks). Not just in my street, but these kind of reports came from all over the country.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:29 AM   #53
whomario
Pro Starter

Figured the canadian GP is as good a time as any for a bump, what with the starting time being more convenient for at least some of you.

We also just had the first major Rules controversy. Well, not counting the outrage over Aston Martin (AGAIN for allegedls copying shit).
So it turns Out that having Cars reliant on Ground Effect more than Wings for downforce and taking away active suspension is a major headache for Teams to Balance Performance and 'smoothness' of the drive. First it was what was described as porpoising, then after 'fixing' that with super Stuff suspension and lowering the Floor it's turned to the cars bottoming out violently (watch an onboard and turn the Sound up. The Sound from the car bumping the surface would be enough to make me nauseous ...)
As a result drivers get thrown around like ragdolls in the Cockpit, leading to severe discomfort (and that alone seems problematic when they need to be fully alert for 90 minutes and High Speed) but also fears it might have effects on the brain. Ricciardo described it as your head being dribbled like a basketball.

Any way, after a few weeks of "No worries, we will solve this very sooon, pinky swear !" from the Teams the Drivers seemingly had enough last weekend and put public pressure. Now the FIA is stepping in and preparing to impose maximum limits on the severity and frequency of it. Meaning teams will have to sacrifice performance. Some likely more (Ferrari, Mercedes) than Others (Red Bull, Alfa Romeo)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-17-2022 at 03:31 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 11:10 AM   #54
PilotMan
Head Coach

The aero setup has been a nightmare to watch. The guys are fighting the cars so much, and the bouncing is painful. Enjoying the season for the most part, but Baku was sadly disappointing once the Ferrari's were out.

You'd figure that all the millions spent by teams they could hone in on exactly what they need to do to fix it. It's really not fair to the drivers.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:04 PM   #55
kingfc22
Head Coach

Will be interesting to see if Ferrari can get back into the Constructor's fight as they have had a number of DNF's of late.

At the top, I'd love to see some kind of battle play out over the season whether that is between Max and Charles or even Max and Perez. Just give me something.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:10 PM   #56
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Is it affecting Red Bull and Ferrari? I got the impression that it wasn't, or not nearly as much as, say, Mercedes.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:04 PM   #57
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Is it affecting Red Bull and Ferrari? I got the impression that it wasn't, or not nearly as much as, say, Mercedes.

It's affecting the Ferrari drivers. Ferrari is fast despite the car producing a lot of bouncing while Red Bull has managed to be fast and relatively smooth.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 06-17-2022, 06:13 PM   #58
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
The aero setup has been a nightmare to watch. The guys are fighting the cars so much, and the bouncing is painful. Enjoying the season for the most part, but Baku was sadly disappointing once the Ferrari's were out.

You'd figure that all the millions spent by teams they could hone in on exactly what they need to do to fix it. It's really not fair to the drivers.

Actually they kinda do know: As is, it is likely they could raise the floor and voila. Problem of course is that this 'fix' would mean loosing a lot of pace unless you find a way to mitigate this. Which is hard because some things are just kind of meant to be a certain way with a certain design.

The main issue is that there is no way to test anything outside of the GP weekends with every one being at a vastly different circuit. Back in the olden days you'd have teams run tests upon tests but nowadays even before the season you have very limited test time and nothing during the season, so every fix they come up with they essentially have an hour on Friday to test (FP2 onwards you have to concentrate in "whatever works" in terms of getting a result) if any theoretical solution works on track. And then it IS only on that track. Mercedes seemed to have fixed the issue in Barcelona only to then find out that their solution means a different but related problem in Monaco and Baku. It's just throwing shit and hoping sth sticks at this point.

I mean, here is what Mercedes came up with for Montreal:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVeFaxKW...pg&name=medium

Yes, they cut a big ass hole into the Edge of their floor.

Last edited by whomario : 06-17-2022 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #59
whomario
Pro Starter

It doesn't help that seemingly every weekend Mercedes has Hamilton on some sort of big experimental change. My guess is he's desperately trying Hail Marys to find the big solution while Russell is more 'content' just getting the best out of the car as is.

Last edited by whomario : 06-17-2022 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 02:42 PM   #60
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fun race today.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 02:43 PM   #61
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Safety Car saved it. It was on its way to a snooze fest there mid race.

Like Steam?

Old 07-03-2022, 09:28 AM   #62
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone watching the British Grand Prix? Insane start
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:35 AM   #63
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Old 07-03-2022, 11:41 AM   #64
bhlloy
Coordinator

Scary crash but that was absolutely one of the best races I’ve ever seen. Definitely in the last 20 years.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #65
kingfc22
Head Coach

These new cars can definitely race close to each other
Old 07-03-2022, 12:01 PM   #66
whomario
Pro Starter

Halo, don't leave home without it.
Old 07-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #67
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, that was a pretty incredible race. Might be the best one this year. Silverstone is such a great track for racing.

Like Steam?

Old 07-03-2022, 12:11 PM   #68
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Well, that was a pretty incredible race. Might be the best one this year. Silverstone is such a great track for racing.

My brother in law is goi g to get to take his car on to the track and race it.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:04 PM   #69
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Ferrari is so bad at race strategy. That should've been an easy 1-2 for them.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 03:57 PM   #70
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

New cars this year and more heavily structured tyres help a lot it seems. There's still obvious limitations and it's not suddenly all out all the time but it's leaps and bounds more viable to actually push and engage in battles over more than 1 corner than previous seasons. These post-safety-car sprints also show how the Sprint format introduced last season needs to be done: Make it either even shorter (25% vs 33%) or introduce a mandatory tyre change (to whatever tyre you want) in a predefined window (excluding the first and last handfull of laps) and most importantly have it be a stand-alone event and not an extension of qualifying determining the order for the GP.

Mick Schumacher getting his first points was a neat thing to see, especially after the bad luck in Montreal and then in this qualifying where somehow Haas managed to install his steering elements so wrong that his wheel was out of tilt by 20 degrees. Didn't set a foot wrong all race today and gets bonus karma points for, instead of settling on 8th, attacking a struggling (damage to his floor from hitting debris) Verstappen relentlessly up until the finish line.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:36 AM   #71
whomario
Pro Starter

Silverstone 2022 - Zhou Guanyu Crash - YouTube

Not a scratch on him btw, driving already again this weekend in Austria. Same for Albon as well who also had a pretty rough crash at the start, hitting the wall hard and then getting T-Boned twice by other cars.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:02 AM   #72
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Albon was actually helicoptered to a local hospital. We were really worried. My wife’s company sponsors Williams and we follow them pretty close. Her boss actually calls people I day mornings to ask about the race to see if they watched.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:41 AM   #73
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Albon was actually helicoptered to a local hospital. We were really worried. My wife’s company sponsors Williams and we follow them pretty close. Her boss actually calls people I day mornings to ask about the race to see if they watched.

Yeah, that'll make you more invested and is pretty cool.
Thankfulle it turned out to be precautionary more than anything else obviously since he's aparently fine to go racing again. These modern cars are just amazing in how they absorb and transfer energy on crashes.
Old 07-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #74
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

They really are. It is cool. She got to go to the Miami Grand Prix, meet the drivers, go in the garage, watch from above pit row. She had dinner with Jenson Button the night before, etc...perks of the job
Old 07-08-2022, 12:09 PM   #75
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Both Mercedes crashed in Q3 today
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:48 PM   #76
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've been invited to the Brickyard to watch practice/qualifying on May 12th before the GMR Grand Prix in Indy as part of a law firm outing for clients. I am not a car person but I think this would be pretty cool.

Anyone done something like that? Worth it? It's about a 6 hour round trip from Lexington.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-07-2023 at 05:48 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:02 PM   #77
bhlloy
Coordinator

For all the changes and tweaks F1 have made over the last few years, you'd have to say this is shaping up to be the most boring season in a while in terms of competitiveness. You wonder at which race the Red Bulls will lock the constructors championship up.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:46 PM   #78
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

yeah. We watch every race. My wife works for Duracell and it is heavily encouraged she watches, and we like it anyway. Too bad Williams stinks.

I think their problem is the sport has grown a ton in the US, but we love parody here and people will stop tuning in if Max is winning every race.
Old 03-19-2023, 02:56 PM   #79
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

We definitely love parody here.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:21 PM   #80
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Kimi Raikkonen and Jenson Button will be racing in NASCAR this weekend at Circuit of the Americas
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 01:57 PM   #81
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My wife had dinner with Jenson Button at the Miami Grand Prix last year. Said he was a really nice guy.
Old 03-20-2023, 08:03 PM   #82
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
yeah. We watch every race. My wife works for Duracell and it is heavily encouraged she watches, and we like it anyway. Too bad Williams stinks.

I think their problem is the sport has grown a ton in the US, but we love parody here and people will stop tuning in if Max is winning every race.

Williams is a lot, LOT better than they have been in years and years. I think they are improving for sure. Title contenders they won't be, but that doesn't mean they aren't potentially impactful.

Red Bull for sure is running away with it this year. Nice to see Alonso happy and getting some solid performances in.

Like Steam?

Old 03-21-2023, 11:41 AM   #83
whomario
Pro Starter

Another typically f1 day on the rules front. It can't possibly be that hard to codify what is and isn't allowed in that situation.

Alonso gets Saudi GP F1 podium back after penalty overturned - The Race

https://the-race.com/formula-1/alons...be-undermined/

One bad thing that's being whispered is that it might already have become more difficult to closely follow behind car(s), which was the No1 goal of the new regulations last year.

Last edited by whomario : 03-21-2023 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-02-2023, 05:41 AM   #84
whomario
Pro Starter

Another banner day for F1 race control. What an unnecessary clusterfuck.
Old 04-02-2023, 07:25 AM   #85
bhlloy
Coordinator

Don’t think I’ve ever had less interest in a season a few races in. If it’s not a clusterfuck where they make up the rules where they go along it’s Red Bull being 45 seconds ahead of the rest of the field after 15 laps. Often both.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:49 AM   #86
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That Albon wreck was brutal.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:46 AM   #87
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I really wish another team would step it up and be able to compete with Red Bull, or if that isn't possible that Red Bull would hire a 2nd driver that would actually compete with Verstappen on a race by race basis.

Verstappen winning by 45 seconds doesn't make for exciting racing. Even when cautions bring it closer it's still impossible to actually believe that someone could actually beat him.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:00 AM   #88
weegeebored
High School Varsity

It's the problem I have with F1 racing. There always seems to be a dominant team and driver. Now it's Red Bull/Verstappen. Before that, Mercedes/Hamilton, Red Bull/Vettel, and Ferrari/Schumacher. It's the nature of F1 racing but it's boring. Fans go crazy when a team like Williams or AlphaTauri score a freaking point! I don't understand the popularity of this kind of racing; probably just the historical significance.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:54 AM   #89
whomario
Pro Starter

Blame Ferrari.

Not done a deep dive into stats or anything like that but it seems like a lot of teams made up ground to Red Bull compared to last year except unfortunately the No2 team from last year who took a step back it appears.

What RB did improve is straight line speed, meaning even a relatively (!) small lap pace advantage is enough to overtake (which is sth the Mercedes of 2020 struggled with a bit actually)
Old 11-17-2023, 04:01 AM   #90
whomario
Pro Starter

So the Vegas GP is a biiiiiit of a shitshow. 8 minutes into the first practice Carlos Sainz Ferrari sucked up some sort of drain cover off the street (not a manhole but same principle), which wrecked his car. Practice canceled. Now they ripped all those covers out and poured concrete in (some poor city workers will have to presumably then clean that mess up after). Practice 2 now starts at 2 AM local time aaaaaand: Fan areas close at 1.30 for "logistical reasons". Presumably because normal traffic will resume for the day shortly after FP2 or something.

The cherry on top is that Sainz/Ferrari will be penalised with a grid penalty because they have to now change lots of parts they aren't allowed to.

Last edited by whomario : 11-17-2023 at 04:12 AM.
Old 11-17-2023, 07:00 AM   #91
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

How did no one anticipate that?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 07:26 AM   #92
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
How did no one anticipate that?

Honestly, they race quite a few street circuits and I’ve really never seen this issue before. I did read an article that says it happened one other time. I’m gonna guess the city streets in Vegas just weren’t built as well as they should have been in the first place.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:23 AM   #93
miked
College Starter

It's dumb that the sessions were scheduled after midnight EST anyway.