Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2022, 09:14 AM   #6101
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The Second Founding is a really great history book if you're into learning more about Reconstruction.

I agree, I started with Foner and then went to Du Bois and others next. I've always been so well read on the Civil War yet I avoided Reconstruction almost completely. I think that's probably pretty normal for most Americans interested in history, unfortunately.

Thanks for the list cuervo. I'll be checking these out.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 02:14 PM   #6102
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, I'll be curious to see how the jury deliberation went down.

https://apnews.com/article/ahmaud-ar...f0981c0e421e26

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:10 PM   #6103
RainMaker
General Manager

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 02:36 PM   #6104
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

How would you react?...
As a part of my job I was doing a service at a large Baptist church locally. I was talking with the treasurer of said church, and in the course of the conversation he just casually says "We moved out of this county a couple of years ago because it became too black. Of course eventually will be where we are now as well...".
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:04 PM   #6105
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Can this get reversed like the original Epstein deal?
Old 03-10-2022, 03:16 PM   #6106
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
How would you react?...
As a part of my job I was doing a service at a large Baptist church locally. I was talking with the treasurer of said church, and in the course of the conversation he just casually says "We moved out of this county a couple of years ago because it became too black. Of course eventually will be where we are now as well...".

Tough spot because you are there for work. At most I would say his comment is inappropriate and I have no wish to have further discussion with him. I would then immediately advise my boss and HR rep.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 03:23 PM   #6107
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Can this get reversed like the original Epstein deal?

Don't think so. The family had been waiting for years for something to happen as the DA just sat on the case. Apparently, they were just going to wait and quietly drop charges. The father however spoke out to a TV station and it brought some media attention to the story.

Anyway, seems like the DA was forced to do something so they came up with an agreement that was as light a sentence as you can imagine for child rape.

And if you think this is just a DA that goes light on criminals, it's the same office that got 6 years from a woman for illegally registering to vote.

Pamela Moses sentenced to prison for illegally registering to vote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:53 AM   #6108
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Texas man accused of fatally shooting 2 dentists at clinic
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:54 AM   #6109
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If only the dentists had been packing.
Old 03-18-2022, 07:20 AM   #6110
BYU 14
Coordinator

This shit is just getting so random, seriously, you get mad and have to kill two people.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 10:19 AM   #6111
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm sure no trouble will come of this:

Chicago Police Department is latest to lower hiring standards amid staffing shortages
Old 03-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #6112
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
How would you react?...

I think it depends on what your job is.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:38 PM   #6113
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think it depends on what your job is.

Unless your job title is "ethnic cleanser" I fail to see how this is acceptable anywhere but I am sure you will provide a sermon how you exist on a higher plain than the rest of us.
Old 03-21-2022, 06:44 AM   #6114
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The core question is how does one balance a desire for civility with a moral imperative to speak out against uncivil views, even when those views are presented in a civil manner?

In GrantDawg's case it's complicated by the fact that it happened in a business setting, with a client.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 07:54 AM   #6115
cuervo72
Head Coach

"Too black for what?"
Old 03-21-2022, 01:41 PM   #6116
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
"Too black for what?"
To continue to live there from the context. This just one of the many openly racist comments I hear on a regular basis. I had one guy say the basicallt the same thing except he said "too dark" instead of "too black." I have another regular customer that has two lawn jockey's on his lake cabin. One of them has bright lips and is eating a watermelon. I actually have a couple of customers with lawn jockey's, but it is funny how they keep them in places where they can't be seen from the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
The core question is how does one balance a desire for civility with a moral imperative to speak out against uncivil views, even when those views are presented in a civil manner?

In GrantDawg's case it's complicated by the fact that it happened in a business setting, with a client.

Exactly it. These are customers and I am an employee. I can't choose who I service, and my boss will definitely not appreciate me losing him money if I say what I really want to say in these situations. If anyone wants to know why I engage and can even be quite confrontational on the board, it is because I have to eat so much of this stuff day in and day out. Old white men see a fellow old white man and just assume I am fellow Trump-loving racist. At times I can try to hit them with something that might make them think. But generally I try to change the subject or just quietly keep working.
Old 03-21-2022, 02:37 PM   #6117
BYU 14
Coordinator

In your setting, I would simply say, "that really isn't appropriate" and let it go, it should stop further comments.

I would probably be tempted to get a bit bolder and somehow reference my wife is black, like along the lines of "Well you wouldn't like my house since it is 50% black"

Of course I know I can get away with a comment like that in my job, YMMV.

Georgia, when I was stationed there was the most blatantly racist place I have been to this day. White locals seeing a white military guy and feeling comfortable spouting all measure of racist tripe. Also the one place I encountered racist remarks/treatment for having a black girlfriend. Of course, always from the safety of a passing car, of where they couldn't be held accountable.

I guess my point is, as bad as it was in the early 80's, those people have had and raised kids, likely with the same ideology and those kids have had kids now, so I am sure a fairly significant portion of that enclave remains to this day, sad.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:19 PM   #6118
RainMaker
General Manager

When guys like this get outed, is it a huge headache for the DA? Can convicted criminals appeal based on this?

Old 04-01-2022, 12:57 AM   #6119
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
Unless your job title is "ethnic cleanser" I fail to see how this is acceptable anywhere but I am sure you will provide a sermon how you exist on a higher plain than the rest of us.

Depends on what you are saying is acceptable. I was addressing what the appropriate was is to react, not the acceptability of the comment itself (of course that's not acceptable anywhere).

I.e. if you're employed by the church I think it's different than if you are an outside contractor for the church, and so on.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 07:41 AM   #6120
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I hate Illinois Nazis.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:42 PM   #6121
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 05-11-2022, 04:17 PM   #6122
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

To serve & protect, eh?
Old 05-11-2022, 04:38 PM   #6123
RainMaker
General Manager

Except if it's a subway mass shooter. Then they can't do anything for a day while the guy walks around in broad daylight eating at New York's hotspots till he turns himself in.
Old 05-14-2022, 03:45 PM   #6124
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Today's Buffalo shooter:

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #6125
RainMaker
General Manager

Cops found their courage last night when it was unarmed middle aged women protesting.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:42 AM   #6126
BYU 14
Coordinator

Shit like this is a big reason we have so much trouble making sustained progress on social issues and racism.

Minneapolis Mom Confronts BLM Protesters after Apartment Shooting: ‘Not a George Floyd Situation’

Interested in others perspectives on this after you read the details and watch the video. To me this totally shits on the victim and marginalizes legitimate social injustice/racism events. Dude fired at a mother, who was with her kids, could have killed all of them, then gets into an armed standoff.

And this quote from his mother
Quote:
“Tekle was an imperfect human as we are all imperfect humans and he did not deserve to be picked off like an animal from a rooftop,”
Old 07-18-2022, 10:54 AM   #6127
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm sorry, but if you are shooting at people, too fucking bad if the cops shoot and kill you.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-18-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 11:32 AM   #6128
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Between this and the fact that the head of the Minneapolis Police Union is a white supremacist, there's a lot of fucked up going on in that city.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #6129
BYU 14
Coordinator

Oh I agree, that city is a mess right now, but in this case, dude got what he had coming to him. I tried to put myself in the shoes of his parents if that was one of my kids. I would be devastated, not only to lose him, but by the fact that he tried to murder an innocent woman and to that end, there is no way I could defend him in any way, or condemn the end result.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #6130
GrantDawg

It is not just a question of what he did, but was he a clear and present danger when they shot him? I can't answer that from the story. Could they have taken him without putting other people in danger? Was this a situation where this was the only choice, or could they have waited it out and took him alive? Why is it that the police tend to take white suspects alive after extended standoffs more often than POC?
I am not saying this wasn't a justified shooting, but I think we should have learned by now not to just take the police side of the story as fact.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2022, 11:41 AM   #6131
BYU 14
Coordinator

And not taking anyone's just to clarify, my main point is this is horrible optics from a social justice perspective. Every standoff is different, and quite frankly I don't know that we can statistically say what the difference is in suspects killed vs taken into custody when each case is dynamic.

That doesn't change the fact that far too many POC are unjustly killed by police when they are not armed and present no threat. This type of reaction from protestors, especially attacking his victim, is going to ensure we never get to where we need to be though.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:52 AM   #6132
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It is not just a question of what he did, but was he a clear and present danger when they shot him? I can't answer that from the story. Could they have taken him without putting other people in danger? Was this a situation where this was the only choice, or could they have waited it out and took him alive? Why is it that the police tend to take white suspects alive after extended standoffs more often than POC?
I am not saying this wasn't a justified shooting, but I think we should have learned by now not to just take the police side of the story as fact.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I think this is fair, there should be an investigation. If the guy was shot while not a threat to anyone (e.g. laid down his guns), that is a problem.

However, as it stands now, without any evidence to the contrary (news article didn't have that much detail), its reasonable to assume it was justified. But let's do see what comes out in the next couple weeks for final judgement.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 05:40 PM   #6133
cuervo72
Head Coach

Mississippi? Well I am shocked, I tell you!

Mississippi police chief linked to racist recording

(WaPo version: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...-fired-dobbins )

Last edited by cuervo72 : 07-21-2022 at 05:41 PM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 03:15 PM   #6134
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 08-22-2022, 03:17 PM   #6135
RainMaker
General Manager

Major Police Department giving expensive equipment away to a Hitler themed gun shop.

Emails Show Omaha Police Planned Deal With Far Right-linked Gun Shop | Southern Poverty Law Center
Old 08-25-2022, 08:36 PM   #6136
RainMaker
General Manager

Old 09-06-2022, 03:45 PM   #6137
RainMaker
General Manager

It took awhile but we found one of the good ones. Unfortunately it is not going well for him.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:12 PM   #6138
cuervo72
Head Coach

Old 10-07-2022, 12:55 PM   #6139
cuervo72
Head Coach

SAPD fires officer who shot teen outside McDonald’s restaurant, releases video of incident

:|
Old 10-07-2022, 02:48 PM   #6140
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

All this talk about good apples but they sure seem to be outweighed by the bad ones.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:46 PM   #6141
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Was the car stolen?
Old 10-08-2022, 04:34 PM   #6142
PilotMan
Head Coach

https://twitter.com/IsaacHayes3/stat...Tm_2gw6jdkeQEQ

This is America

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:29 PM   #6143
JPhillips
General Manager

The single most heavily policed place in Newburgh is a home football game at the high school and even with that there was a shooting last week with three injured.

The next day a father was killed in Poughkeepsie at his hotel for Marist's parent's weekend.

And then a federal judge in upstate NY struck down much of NY's new gun control law including striking down a measure that would keep guns out of Times Square.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:24 PM   #6144
Thomkal
Head Coach

I had seen the Marist parent's weekend shooting, and was wondering what more they are saying about who the shooter was and why he did it?
Old 10-08-2022, 07:39 PM   #6145
JPhillips
General Manager

They have the shooter and it looks like it was random crime, a robbery that escalated.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:02 AM   #6146
cuervo72
Head Coach

Huh.

He Marched At The Nazi Rally In Charlottesville. Then He Went Back To Being A Cop. | HuffPost Latest News
Old 11-08-2022, 09:15 PM   #6147
cuervo72
Head Coach

State police investigating death at shooting scene outside Beaver County Walmart – WPXI

Story: EMT goes to help man who was shot. Third man tells EMT to stop helping shooting victim, violently pushes EMT to the ground. EMT hits his head, dies from wounds. Third man? Undercover cop.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 11-08-2022 at 09:16 PM.
cuervo72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:40 PM   #6148
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
State police investigating death at shooting scene outside Beaver County Walmart – WPXI

Story: EMT goes to help man who was shot. Third man tells EMT to stop helping shooting victim, violently pushes EMT to the ground. EMT hits his head, dies from wounds. Third man? Undercover cop.

Any other person would have been arrested on the spot.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:35 AM   #6149
cuervo72
Head Coach

‘It never stops’: killings by US police reach record high in 2022 | US policing | The Guardian

Thought this was interesting, though not necessarily suprising:

Quote:
There are also some local jurisdictions and states that have seen reductions in lethal force. California, the most populous state, has experienced a 29% drop in killings since 2013, while Texas, with the second-largest population, has seen a 30% increase in that timeframe, according to Mapping Police Violence.
Old 01-06-2023, 07:39 AM   #6150
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I wonder if there is a correlation between states with lax gun laws and police killings.