Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #151
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
The game dishes out a set number of cards at each position. For catchers, I think it's 10. So you can keep a count of how many show and know whether there's going to be one left.

Also, I've seen a couple of winning teams in longer tournaments go with 3 catchers especially if one is able to play more than one position to minimize fatigue.

Lastly, seems like the best players are putting a lot of value on a catcher's Catcher Ability as it helps out pitchers. FWIW.

I will almost never take a shitty defensive player at catcher, SS, or center field.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:17 AM   #152
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I will almost never take a shitty defensive player at catcher, SS, or center field.

Yeah, defense wins championships but specifically, I prioritize Range for fielders rather than a good general defense number and Catching Ability rather than Arm for catchers.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:34 PM   #153
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Am I the only one who pretty much automatically takes a negro league player on perfect draft whenever they come up?
Old 07-15-2021, 07:35 PM   #154
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Am I the only one who pretty much automatically takes a negro league player on perfect draft whenever they come up?

No, no you're not.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:37 PM   #155
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I know it is OOTP, but it really makes me sad that these guys couldn't play against their white peers. when you see what guys like Willie Mays did makes you wonder where Josh Gibson, etc...would stand in MLB lore.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:12 PM   #156
henry296
College Starter

For Perfect Drafts when do you start thinking about pitchers? Any value in 80+ relievers? Also, do you stay with 5-man rotations or can you shorten. It doesn't look there are off days.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:41 PM   #157
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
For Perfect Drafts when do you start thinking about pitchers? Any value in 80+ relievers? Also, do you stay with 5-man rotations or can you shorten. It doesn't look there are off days.

You need lots of depth because the players tire so quickly. In other words I usually pass on relievers until Im in the 70s. I usually pass on catchers until the 70s as well as they can play at max 2 games in a row. Ive seen people shorten their rotation but with 100 plus endurance pitchers.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-17-2021 at 08:42 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 08:45 PM   #158
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Almost always. I love their multi position ability. Lots of flexibility.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:11 AM   #159
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
You need lots of depth because the players tire so quickly. In other words I usually pass on relievers until Im in the 70s. I usually pass on catchers until the 70s as well as they can play at max 2 games in a row. Ive seen people shorten their rotation but with 100 plus endurance pitchers.

Yeah I've had the most success with 2 silver relievers and filling the rest with high end bronze. Positional depth is too important to pass up. Relievers are so volatile and situational that it's difficult to justify a diamond or gold card on them. I messed around with taking a gold closer at one point and it just isn't worth it IMO.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:53 PM   #160
Atocep
Coordinator

The jump from gold to diamond in perfect team is astronomical. It's a completely different game at that level.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:17 PM   #161
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just opened 15 packs and got nothing above a silver. Grr...
Old 07-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #162
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- 24 now
Old 07-21-2021, 01:35 PM   #163
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

26 packs later and I pull.......Lance Lynn
Old 07-21-2021, 02:51 PM   #164
Swaggs
Coordinator

My strategy (after I blew that $100K I made from selling my first 100 player) has been to buy a 100 rated player every time I get to $20K-25K. It seems to work and I can do it every two or three weeks with a passive amount of input.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:22 PM   #165
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I get why you can only enter 3 tournaments at any given time, but I wish they would at least let you do 3 plus a daily/weekly. I hate having one of my 3 slots tied up all day, or multiple days, just to get bounced n the first round.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #166
henry296
College Starter

Just had a lucky pull of a 100 rated Andruw Jones. Also have 96 rated Christian Pache. My perfect league team right now is just in Stone and is all gold rated players except 1 (backup IF). Just started with release of OOTP GO.

Jones L10 is about 58k and Pache is 21k. Would you sell any of them and keep building up packs or hold them for higher levels when I get there?
Old 07-22-2021, 12:24 PM   #167
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am assuming Pache is that much because he is part of a mission and it is the Future Legends card, not the live one.

I would keep Jones, thats a great card. Unless you are planning on grinding the mission Pache is part of I would sell it. You could buy 4-5 other diamond cards with that and really bolster your roster.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #168
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
I am assuming Pache is that much because he is part of a mission and it is the Future Legends card, not the live one.

I would keep Jones, thats a great card. Unless you are planning on grinding the mission Pache is part of I would sell it. You could buy 4-5 other diamond cards with that and really bolster your roster.

Yes, Pache is the future legends. I tried him early in the week and got no bites.

The live diamonds are much cheaper like 4500 for the 94 rated Jose Ramirez while a 94 rated Hardware Hero is 67k. Is that just supply is higher for the live cards or are those specialty cards actually better despite the same overall rating.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:32 PM   #169
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Others can probably answer better, but I think card values are tied to what missions they are in more than anything else.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:41 PM   #170
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Others can probably answer better, but I think card values are tied to what missions they are in more than anything else.

Definitely. I just paid over 10,000 total for two silver cards to finish off a mission.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:46 PM   #171
korme
Go Reds

Whoa, I kind of hate that this entire page consists of Perfect Team talk. I haven't bought OOTP in a few years because it seemed they were putting all of their attention to PT, and it looks like, to my selfish detriment, it's working!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:01 PM   #172
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Whoa, I kind of hate that this entire page consists of Perfect Team talk. I haven't bought OOTP in a few years because it seemed they were putting all of their attention to PT, and it looks like, to my selfish detriment, it's working!

In fairness, I put about 300 hours into the base game before moving to Perfect Team, Perfect Draft, ect. For me it's become something that's extended my interest in the game.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:07 PM   #173
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

PT is mostly just something I mess around with when I open the game and before I do my solo play stuff. I haven't stuck any real money into it. Honestly, I don't even really keep too much track of the actual team I have. More just ripping packs and doing the collection missions.

For solo play, lately I've been messing around with a fictional universe I created that starts in 1900 with two rival major leagues and a bunch of regional independent leagues. Instead of playing as a team I guide the universe as a whole and watch things play out. Create a player here and there, change the settings and modifiers as time goes by, expansion, contraction, relocation, mergers and all that fun stuff.

I also have my long running league that I play out every game. It started in 1993 with a fantasy draft. I'm currently in the year 2000 after winning my third World Series in 1999 with a pretty awesome team. Kenny Lofton leading off, Pudge, Robby Alomar, Omar Vizquel, a young Adrian Beltre, and Bobby Higginson. The 3D engine is night and day from when it first came out. Still some annoying timing issues (like the shortstop standing there with the ball when a guy rounds third and scores), but overall playing games out gets a huge chunk of my play time these days.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 08:37 PM   #174
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Just for some balance.. OOTP 22 discussion forum
Out of the Park Baseball 22 - OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP 22 general discussion
1548 threads
11,737 posts

PT
791 threads
7921 posts

OOTP 21 (after a full year)
3961 threads
27,894 posts

PT 21
1999 threads
19,906 posts

FWIW
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:07 PM   #175
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
For solo play, lately I've been messing around with a fictional universe I created that starts in 1900 with two rival major leagues and a bunch of regional independent leagues.

I play with the real world structure, but always with fictional players. I'll start out in 1900 and sim 30 years to get rid of all of the initially generated players (who can sometimes put up inflated stats). I then delete all of the stats and history up to that point, and sim at least another 50 years before I actually start playing.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 07-22-2021 at 09:08 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:23 PM   #176
JPhillips
General Manager

2 Things

1 Anybody else seeing drafts weighted way too much towards pitchers? I'll pretty regularly see 20 or more pitchers before the top-rated batter.

2 How do the defensive ratings work? I understand how Jim does it in FOF with skill abilities and then an experience/comfort rating. I don't understand what the position ratings mean in OOTP. They aren't just comfort, but I don't understand how they differ from the ability ratings.

edit- I have the same problem with pitcher ratings. What's the difference between the pitch ratings and the overall stuff/movement/control ratings?

Last edited by JPhillips : 07-22-2021 at 09:24 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #177
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
2 Things

1 Anybody else seeing drafts weighted way too much towards pitchers? I'll pretty regularly see 20 or more pitchers before the top-rated batter.

2 How do the defensive ratings work? I understand how Jim does it in FOF with skill abilities and then an experience/comfort rating. I don't understand what the position ratings mean in OOTP. They aren't just comfort, but I don't understand how they differ from the ability ratings.

edit- I have the same problem with pitcher ratings. What's the difference between the pitch ratings and the overall stuff/movement/control ratings?

I’ll take a stab… and note that I play with 20-80 ratings on (and the star system).

1. One big thing that has helped me is to always have a scout with “highly favors tools.” That is the most important rating for me, followed by high scout international and high scout amateur. I want those to always be excellent and preferably higher. In my experience, adding 1-2 of the best international players each year is the best way to find superstars (especially if you are drafting in the back of the draft year after year). With the 20-80 scale, if you are finding players with tools rated 55+, they will have an opportunity to turn into good players. So, if you see a hitter that is rated 2.5 or 3 stars, but he has 60/50/45 (contact/power/eye), that is pretty good. He maybe rated lower on the star scale because his fielding is poor or undeveloped. If your guys have decent range/arm/avoid error/turn dp, force them to start at their position in the minors and they will gain experience and their position rating will go develop. That makes their overall star rating go up. Work ethic and intelligence seem to be very important to development (as does having a large player development budget - I always try to have mine well over the league average). When I draft and have a high development budget, I seem to do well first looking for SP with at least three pitches that are rated 50/50/50 or above with decent stamina and good character traits, as they often turn into adequate or better big league pitchers. Then, you can usually find guys with good contact (55+) and/or adequate power/eye (50ish) that need lots of development or good relievers in rounds 3-5ish. Then get guys with one or two good or interesting tools (can sometimes find guys with 65+ contact or really good fielding potential or high catching ability) till round 10 or so.

2. It seems that the position ratings are a combo of the most important fielding ratings for each position + experience playing them. So, infield range + avoid error + turn DP are most important to middle infielders, but arm is more important to SS. So, when you bring players into your system, you project their best positions and, in the player settings, force them to start at that position in the minors and their SS or 2B rating will increase. Like in real life, C, SS, and CF seem to be the premium positions and the most difficult to find all around great players.

Last edited by Swaggs : 07-23-2021 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #178
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I thought this forum would be the last bastion against PT, but I was wrong. I used to listen to the OOTP podcast, but it's about 90% PT talk as well.

I like the new park models, but the 1B/3B coaches haven't really affected my gameplay all that much. I don't even know what else has been improved, from my limited play time. I've honestly put more time into Action PC Baseball, it's missing the better graphical presentation, but I find the stats are much more accurate.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:53 AM   #179
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

2. It seems that the position ratings are a combo of the most important fielding ratings for each position + experience playing them. So, infield range + avoid error + turn DP are most important to middle infielders, but arm is more important to SS. So, when you bring players into your system, you project their best positions and, in the player settings, force them to start at that position in the minors and their SS or 2B rating will increase. Like in real life, C, SS, and CF seem to be the premium positions and the most difficult to find all around great players.

This is pretty much spot on.

My primary gripe right now is that catcher ability needs to be broken out to receiving, blocking, pitch calling rather than a single, all encompassing stat. It's just too strong as it is and probably the single most important defensive stat in the game.

A not on the scouting thing that may help people is the very general way Tools vs Ability works is favor tools scouts will be more likely to find high ceiling talent while favor ability does a better job identifying solid major league players.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:24 PM   #180
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I thought this forum would be the last bastion against PT, but I was wrong. I used to listen to the OOTP podcast, but it's about 90% PT talk as well.

I like the new park models, but the 1B/3B coaches haven't really affected my gameplay all that much. I don't even know what else has been improved, from my limited play time. I've honestly put more time into Action PC Baseball, it's missing the better graphical presentation, but I find the stats are much more accurate.

I mean I wish it were gone as well so the focus could go back to the game. But I dont see that happening. I only play PT for the quick tournys where you pick a team. I dont pay any attention to my actual Perfect Team.

Ive actually played out more games this year than ever before. Im already in 2024 with the Twins(playing out the games). The in game engine has improved tremendously. No more Int walk's putting the tying run at the plate late in the game where people in the OOTP forums would claim that is a smart strategical move . The 3 batter minimum helps with the computer AI bullpen as well. There arent nearly as dumb in that aspect.

But they still release players that have no business being released. I hate finding a player on the top 100 prospect list that has been released. Makes me want to turn the game off and never play it again.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-23-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:42 PM   #181
JPhillips
General Manager

I got the #3 prospect in the Rule 5 draft.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #182
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I got the #3 prospect in the Rule 5 draft.

The rule 5 draft is terrible. I agree with jberg that the overall game is better than it has been, but some of the players that fall into the rule 5 are ridiculous.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:56 PM   #183
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The rule 5 draft is terrible. I agree with jberg that the overall game is better than it has been, but some of the players that fall into the rule 5 are ridiculous.

Interesting. This was a problem for me in OOTP21, but not so in OOTP 22. If anything, teams were protecting too many players in the first release of '22, and sometimes there would only be one or two players drafted in Rule 5.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:28 PM   #184
Swaggs
Coordinator

I always turn Rule 5 off. Mostly because it seems like such a drag. Without it, the most labor some part of the game for me is the period of signing arb players and pending minor league free agents.

I really like the updates. I think building a coaching staff and getting the personalities right is pretty fun. And finding a staff that has good enough teachers and development skills.

One thing that I have done more recently is expand the overall roster size and active roster size. I think I'm at 29 for the active roster and 48 for the total. That's just more fun for me, but it does seems like I see fewer instances of teams releasing valuable players.

One thing that has been annoying me (really two things) is players leaving my league to play in the Australian League.I had a solid starter sign reach free agency and he was asking for maybe $17M per year, which is close to reasonable but I was waiting to see if he might drop down closer to $14M. And he signs for peanuts with the ABL, where I can purchase him for $250K and have him on a minimum salary for the year. Really ruined the immersion for me (I ended up buying him and trading him to a shitty team for a scrub). The other issue with the ABL is that decent, but not great players will have good seasons there and then want ridiculous amounts of money to sign, whereas they would realistically be happy to make a MLB roster following a season in Australia.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:02 PM   #185
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
I always turn Rule 5 off. Mostly because it seems like such a drag.

I leave it on. It's an extra challenge when I have a good prospect that's not ready to get called up and I'm short on 40-man roster spots. Do I protect him or not? I made the wrong call once and a lost a promising shortstop prospect who went on to become a perennial all-star for another team.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #186
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

So I have been enjoying OOTP 22 and started a recent save taking over the 21 Cubs. So our starting pitching was brutal as expected and it just is not going to be our year.

During the season I have been trying to get Kris Bryant signed to an extension. We have gone back and forth and just can't come to terms. About 7 days before the trade deadline I decide to bite the bullet and give him what he is asking for. The trade market has been mediocre at best for Bryant. Kris says the offer sound good he will get back to me in a few days. So i am thinking we are good and at least I will have Bryant back for next season. Deadline comes and goes and about 2 days after the deadline he rejects my offer and says he will not resign. After saying every swear word and.making up a few.....

CTRL-ALT-DELETE. .....😀
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #187
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Shane Bieber in his 2022 Guardians uniform.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:40 PM   #188
Flasch186
Coordinator

Help me understand ST roster movement. Every season of this stinking game I bring players up and then can't send them down after ST. They get stuck in this bizarro waivers/DFA universe where I can't do anything with them. They eventually have to be released as I can't move past that day in the game. I just had to cut a pretty good prospect due to it (at a cost too).

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 02:11 PM   #189
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Help me understand ST roster movement. Every season of this stinking game I bring players up and then can't send them down after ST. They get stuck in this bizarro waivers/DFA universe where I can't do anything with them. They eventually have to be released as I can't move past that day in the game. I just had to cut a pretty good prospect due to it (at a cost too).

Every player has 3 option years. Any time they are brought up with the big league club and sent back down that uses one of the option years. Once a player is out of option years they have to clear waivers and be designated for assignment in order to send them back down. Players on the 40 man roster are automatically brought up for spring training. So that's going to burn an option year.

Players can refuse designation and force either a trade or release. This usually only applies to veteran players though.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:26 PM   #190
JPhillips
General Manager

I have wondered if that's the way it works in real life. Only guys on the 40 man burn an option, the other invitees don't if they are sent back to the minors before the season begins.
Old 07-29-2021, 03:29 PM   #191
Flasch186
Coordinator

...however I can't then send them down without clering waivers and then DFA but then there's a weird timing issue. I ended up having to release 4 players due to some weird overlap thing it does EVERY offseason. I'm scared to bring people in to ST.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 03:54 PM   #192
Swaggs
Coordinator

You can also DFA them and run them through waivers, then they will often accept a demotion (some refuse and need released anyway) or you can typically trade anyone of value.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #193
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
...however I can't then send them down without clering waivers and then DFA but then there's a weird timing issue. I ended up having to release 4 players due to some weird overlap thing it does EVERY offseason. I'm scared to bring people in to ST.

I've run into this, but not consistently. For a while I thought the problem was waiving but not waiving and designating. For some reason that seemed to mess things up.

I'm pretty sure that the way roster players burn an option isn't the way it works in real life, but I can't find any info.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:54 PM   #194
henry296
College Starter

After so many years they have to be on the 40 man roster so they start burning those options. Essentially after they are Rule 5 eligible.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:01 AM   #195
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

anyone else not able to get onto the perfect draft server?
Old 07-31-2021, 10:59 AM   #196
fortheglory
Mascot

Quote:
I always turn Rule 5 off. Mostly because it seems like such a drag. Without it, the most labor some part of the game for me is the period of signing arb players and pending minor league free agents.

I really like the updates. I think building a coaching staff and getting the personalities right is pretty fun. And finding a staff that has good enough teachers and development skills.

One thing that I have done more recently is expand the overall roster size and active roster size. I think I'm at 29 for the active roster and 48 for the total. That's just more fun for me, but it does seems like I see fewer instances of teams releasing valuable players.

One thing that has been annoying me (really two things) is players leaving my league to play in the Australian League.I had a solid starter sign reach free agency and he was asking for maybe $17M per year, which is close to reasonable but I was waiting to see if he might drop down closer to $14M. And he signs for peanuts with the ABL, where I can purchase him for $250K and have him on a minimum salary for the year. Really ruined the immersion for me (I ended up buying him and trading him to a shitty team for a scrub). The other issue with the ABL is that decent, but not great players will have good seasons there and then want ridiculous amounts of money to sign, whereas they would realistically be happy to make a MLB roster following a season in Australia.

Is it worth it to use international or independent leagues? They recently changed it so you can no longer purchase players from Mexico or Australia…the players must either be free agents or posted. This still doesn’t account for why the player would have rejected a MLB contract in favor of a much smaller one in Australia though.

Also in the latest patch…many international PCMs have been changed

One other thing to consider…did the Australian League have a limit on the number of foreigners per team?

Last edited by fortheglory : 07-31-2021 at 01:42 PM.
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 03:46 AM   #197
gudiyuhu
n00b

Hi, Does limiting pitch counts in the minor leagues help 'mitigate' injury risk for pitching prospects? (Keeping TINSTAAPP in mind, of course).
tired of looking for the best porn? we did it for you https://collectionofbestporn.pro - here you will find all the best that has been filmed so far

Last edited by gudiyuhu : 12-02-2021 at 03:22 AM.
gudiyuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:04 AM   #198
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudiyuhu View Post
Hi, Does limiting pitch counts in the minor leagues help 'mitigate' injury risk for pitching prospects? (Keeping TINSTAAPP in mind, of course).

I would think so, even in just the "less you throw, less chance of injury" way. I also imagine that how rested a player gets between starts makes a difference.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #199
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudiyuhu View Post

It definitely does. Playing while fatigued (position and especially pitchers and catchers, in my opinion) increases the chances of injury. Awhile back, I read that there is something like a counter that adds up over a certain amount of pitches and leads to cumulative damage. I also recall reading that there are already standard pitch counts in place in the minors, so I typically only put a count on prospects with stamina 50 or lower or if they are injury prone.

Really though, I avoid injury prone players like the plague, aside from occasionally you can find really high end starting pitchers that are wrecked or prone. I like having guys like that when I have SP prospects in AAA or am just trying to break them into the majors. Best case, they stay healthy and have great seasons. Worst case, you are out a reasonable amount of money and can often hold your best prospects to Super 2 status or break them in as relievers.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #200
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dola...

I will sometimes similarly take a flyer on a really good OF that is wrecked or prone and use them as a platoon mate for a younger guy that is getting his feet wet or if they partner up well with guys with extreme platoon splits. It seems like it is not that unusual to have a guy with 65 contact against either LHP or RHP and then 15 points lower against the opposite handedness (which is actually pretty realistic).

I have wondered if there is a double penalty/bonus if you have, say, a RHP that has a really good split vs right handed batters facing a right handed batter that is really weak vs RHP. It always makes me think when I sim out games (which is fairly rare).