Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-18-2022, 10:37 PM   #201
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Castellanos to Phillies - 5 years/$100M.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:53 AM   #202
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Correa to the twins.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #203
JPhillips
General Manager

I think the Reds have the worst front office in baseball. After letting Miley, Barnhart, Gray, Winker, and Suarez go to meet a payroll target, they turned around and signed 34-year-old Donovan Solano and traded for Mike Minor and his 10 mil salary.

I have no idea what the plan is.
Old 03-19-2022, 08:50 AM   #204
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I think the Reds have the worst front office in baseball. After letting Miley, Barnhart, Gray, Winker, and Suarez go to meet a payroll target, they turned around and signed 34-year-old Donovan Solano and traded for Mike Minor and his 10 mil salary.

I have no idea what the plan is.

It is a shame. They definitely had the squad to make a run at a playoff spot. Especially since they get to pad their schedule with a bunch of games against the Pirates and Cubs.

That team has great fans, it is a great place to see a ballgame, and they deserve better.
Old 03-19-2022, 11:20 AM   #205
Ksyrup

About $60M per team from the national TV contract alone, yet teams like Cincy are too poor to keep a contender and slash payroll. That's before local TV revenue, game day revenues, sponsorships, and any other source of revenue. It's all BS. Which is why it's hard to understand people siding with the league against players in labor disputes.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-19-2022, 11:36 AM   #206
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
About $60M per team from the national TV contract alone, yet teams like Cincy are too poor to keep a contender and slash payroll. That's before local TV revenue, game day revenues, sponsorships, and any other source of revenue. It's all BS. Which is why it's hard to understand people siding with the league against players in labor disputes.

Agree! Having the public own the teams would create an amazing league.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 11:40 AM   #207
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

Owners need to make a rule that revenue sharing only applies for teams spending 80% or more of the average payroll. The rich teams shouldn't be forced to pad Castellini's profit margin.
Old 03-20-2022, 08:51 PM   #208
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Story to the Red Sox. Looks like he will move to second. That lineup is nasty
Old 03-21-2022, 01:51 PM   #209
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess I though there would be better odds on Oneil Cruz to win NL ROY. 3:1 seems way too high.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:44 AM   #210
Ksyrup

This is the extent of my "time stands still" relationship with baseball. If you had asked me yesterday how long Mike Trout has been in MLB, I would have said 6-7 years, tops. I just saw that he's entering his 12th year. Fricken Matt Ryan has played 14 years in the NFL and feels like he's been there forever - maybe too long. I know there's a significant age difference between the two of them, but its still odd to think about.
Old 03-22-2022, 12:15 PM   #211
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I guess I though there would be better odds on Oneil Cruz to win NL ROY. 3:1 seems way too high.

Well, he probably won't get called up until June or July because they won't want his service time to begin (or to unnecessarily win games).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:59 PM   #212
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They’re going to talk about bullshit like defensive refinement when Cruz should be at worst playing as a DH every day in the majors. Instead we’ll see trash like Vogelbach and Yoshi post .650 OPS’s. Maybe Cole Tucker will get his 4th chance to show he blows. It’s going to be a long season. Oh yeah, Michael Chavis will also get a shot to play for some reason.
Old 03-22-2022, 04:22 PM   #213
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
They’re going to talk about bullshit like defensive refinement when Cruz should be at worst playing as a DH every day in the majors. Instead we’ll see trash like Vogelbach and Yoshi post .650 OPS’s. Maybe Cole Tucker will get his 4th chance to show he blows. It’s going to be a long season. Oh yeah, Michael Chavis will also get a shot to play for some reason.

He should have been playing RF every day last year. He's got a rifle arm.

I don't think Tucker has ever really gotten a fair chance to play, so I'm good with letting him start the season at shortstop and giving him two months to prove if he's capable. I guess Chavis was one of Cherington's draft picks at Boston, but I haven't seen a whole lot out of him. I just don't understand why teams like the A's and Rays can find and plug and play AAA guys that are capable of being reasonable major league players while we are giving hundreds of at bats to late 20's guys like Erik Gonzalez and Colin Moran, who have literal WARs of 0 or negative numbers. Michael Perez was -0.7 and got 230 ABs last year. It's hard to
Old 03-22-2022, 04:33 PM   #214
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Owners need to make a rule that revenue sharing only applies for teams spending 80% or more of the average payroll. The rich teams shouldn't be forced to pad Castellini's profit margin.

I genuinely don't understand why the bigger teams put up with it. Unless there are just so few that actually want to spend that they are massively outnumbered.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 04:41 PM   #215
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

I don't think Tucker has ever really gotten a fair chance to play, so I'm good with letting him start the season at shortstop and giving him two months to prove if he's capable. I guess Chavis was one of Cherington's draft picks at Boston, but I haven't seen a whole lot out of him. I just don't understand why teams like the A's and Rays can find and plug and play AAA guys that are capable of being reasonable major league players while we are giving hundreds of at bats to late 20's guys like Erik Gonzalez and Colin Moran, who have literal WARs of 0 or negative numbers. Michael Perez was -0.7 and got 230 ABs last year. It's hard to

Is there any sign that Tucker can make it in the majors? Looking up his numbers, it doesn't seem like he's hit for anything outside half a season in A ball back in 2017.

Reminds me a bit of the path Albert Almora took. High draft pick with all the tools who just never could figure out a way to hit. People would say he needed to play everyday, but there is also a point where you're just not even close to justify it.

Tucker is winning off the field though.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:00 PM   #216
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is there any sign that Tucker can make it in the majors? Looking up his numbers, it doesn't seem like he's hit for anything outside half a season in A ball back in 2017.

Reminds me a bit of the path Albert Almora took. High draft pick with all the tools who just never could figure out a way to hit. People would say he needed to play everyday, but there is also a point where you're just not even close to justify it.

Tucker is winning off the field though.

He seems like a great athlete and really good clubhouse guy, but he can’t seem to stay healthy and the Pirates have been dicking around with him by making him play out of position the past few seasons. He’s gotten injured all three years he’s been in the majors and I believe he had a significant injury in the minors, as well. You are probably spot on with your description, but he’s still only 25 and I’d rather see a home grown guy like him get 300 ABs and play short to start the year, rather than the other rejects we’ve accumulated.

Last edited by Swaggs : 03-22-2022 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:02 PM   #217
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

I thought they did OK with Gamel. He's nothing great, but at least he was an average hitter. Given all the trash they threw out there, I'm not mad at him.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #218
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is there a reason why I can’t parlay Ohtani as MVP/CY?
Old 03-24-2022, 10:45 AM   #219
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Is there a reason why I can’t parlay Ohtani as MVP/CY?

What book?
Old 03-24-2022, 11:11 AM   #220
stevew
Hall Of Famer

DraftKings and Fanduel. Don’t know if it’s a state specific restriction. I’m not sure what the exact payout would be but sites suggest combining 30:1 and 3.5:1 should pay like 1500:1 I think? Unless I’m entering it wrong.

Maybe you can’t parlay award winners? I can bet Ohtani MVP and Cole CY but not Ohtani for both
Old 03-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #221
henry296
College Starter

I'm guessing they consider them correlated plays. Without same game parlays you couldn't parlay two props from the same game.
Old 03-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #222
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Think I am gonna take a shot on Bellinger at 66-1 to win MVP. also adding Gallo to lead the league in HR at 16-1 and Buehler to win Cy Young at 8.5-1.
Old 03-26-2022, 09:07 AM   #223
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Think I am gonna take a shot on Bellinger at 66-1 to win MVP. also adding Gallo to lead the league in HR at 16-1 and Buehler to win Cy Young at 8.5-1.

I know you are just trying to jinx the Dodgers!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:20 AM   #224
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Buehler is +1100 on fan duel
Old 03-28-2022, 07:02 AM   #225
miami_fan
Coordinator

The ultimate would be a WS ring but I think this is a proper end to a HOF career.

Sources - Albert Pujols signing one-year, $2.5 million deal with St. Louis Cardinals
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:20 AM   #226
tarcone
Coordinator

Knowing Albert, he will get that 55 year old body in shape and hit 30 HRs as the DH.

Happy to have Albert, Waino and Yadi back together for one more season as they all ride out to pasture together.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:28 AM   #227
Ksyrup

Interesting article in The Athletic about minor leagues experimenting with moving 2B inward to be closer to 1B and 3B to encourage stolen bases, and the fact that 2B has actually not been in the right place since about 1887. It's also never been 90 feet between bases - more like 88 feet, 1.5 inches, and with the move, 87 feet.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:32 AM   #228
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Interesting article in The Athletic about minor leagues experimenting with moving 2B inward to be closer to 1B and 3B to encourage stolen bases, and the fact that 2B has actually not been in the right place since about 1887. It's also never been 90 feet between bases - more like 88 feet, 1.5 inches, and with the move, 87 feet.

Plus increasing the size of the bases from 15" to 18" - that shortens the distance even further. After the rules last year around limiting pick off throws, they are really trying to facilitate running (steals, H&R, extra base) to hopefully create more excitement.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 11:00 AM   #229
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Gotta have baserunners to do exciting things on the bases...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 11:03 AM   #230
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm not sure if I am supposed to feel bad for Michael Conforto. Part of me is like, dude, you turned down 100 million dollar deal. That being said he was likely getting what we now know if bad advice from Boras.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #231
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I kinda hope Pujols did enough steroids this off-season so he could get to 700 homers. But it’s also dangerous for a 53 year old to experiment with that stuff.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:14 PM   #232
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I love that mlb network has spring training games on every day but FFS it’s literally the Yankees 90% of the time.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:19 PM   #233
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Knowing Albert, he will get that 55 year old body in shape and hit 30 HRs as the DH.

Happy to have Albert, Waino and Yadi back together for one more season as they all ride out to pasture together.

It's been a few years since I've been to the ballpark, but I'm going to have to do that this year.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:19 PM   #234
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

It's been a few years since I've been to the ballpark, but I'm going to have to do that this year.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:34 PM   #235
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I love that mlb network has spring training games on every day but FFS it’s literally the Yankees 90% of the time.

Isn't it great?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:39 PM   #236
Ksyrup

As much as I love Kirk Gibson from his Tigers playing days, his voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. He sounds perpetually congested and I can't stand listening to his speaking voice.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:46 PM   #237
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
As much as I love Kirk Gibson from his Tigers playing days, his voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. He sounds perpetually congested and I can't stand listening to his speaking voice.

I remember watching a game he called a couple of years ago and being surprised at the way he sounded. I read that he was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. I feel like I remember hearing interviews with him from his playing and coaching days and he sounded a good bit different, so I'm guessing the disease has affected his voice.
Old 03-28-2022, 03:12 PM   #238
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Isn't it great?

Luckily I have the MLB package...
Old 03-28-2022, 03:31 PM   #239
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's been the best Non LeBron Cavs season in decades and I can't really watch the game because of how horrible Austin Carr is on announcing. I struggle with watching the Pirates on TV cause their booth team is really wretched too.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:51 PM   #240
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Luckily I have the MLB package...

I am still loving the Superbox we got Christmas of 2019, all 4 major sports packages free, plus all pay per views. if you watch a lot of MLB I would check it out.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #241
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I think Superbox is just begging to be shut down via lawsuits. Good idea though!

But in baseball news.. am I the only one who didn't know that it wasn't 90 feet between all the bases? (and in the minor leagues, the second half of the season, it will only be 87 feet from first to second? I can see a lot more steals (and conversely, a lot more throws over to first to keep them close)

Why baseball is moving second base, and what this experiment could mean for the game – The Athletic
Old 03-29-2022, 11:56 AM   #242
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Bets I am looking to make. I know there is a sports betting thread but we have some sharp baseball minds so I would love some opinions

Cy Young-

NL
Alcantra- 25-1
DeGrom- 4-1

AL
Shane McClanahan- 16-1

Lead the league in Home Runs
Schwarber- 28-1
Tyler ONeil- 25-1
C Bellinger- 80-1
J soler- 33-1

Lead the league in runs scored
W Merrifield- 35-1
S Marte- 40-1

ROY
AL- Torkelson- +525
NL-Suzuki +400

Most Wins
DeGrom- 10-1

Most Steals
Miles Straw- 15-1

Most Hits
Lindor- 35-1

AL MVP
Buxton- 40-1
Gallo- 80-1

NL MVP
Lindor- 33-1
Bellinger 66-1

Team Wins
Red Sox over 84.5
Oakland under 70.5
Old 04-01-2022, 03:25 PM   #243
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

DeGrom shut down for at least 4 weeks....Best case scenario he is back beginning of June.
Old 04-01-2022, 03:27 PM   #244
RainMaker
General Manager

That really sucks. Is it the elbow again? Have a bad feeling he's going to need TJS soon.
Old 04-01-2022, 03:35 PM   #245
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That really sucks. Is it the elbow again? Have a bad feeling he's going to need TJS soon.

Shoulder. He actually had it early in his career IIRC.
Old 04-01-2022, 04:03 PM   #246
tarcone
Coordinator

https://twitter.com/FarmToFame_/stat...200324817.html

I cant get twitter threads to show up. This is a must see.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 04-01-2022 at 04:04 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:35 PM   #247
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

CBS has you covered. This was on their front page a day or two ago: Four 'Big Boss' moments that prove Tsuyoshi Shinjo is the most interesting man in baseball - CBSSports.com

SI

Old 04-02-2022, 06:49 PM   #248
RainMaker
General Manager

Korea has us beat when it comes to trophies.

This Korean World Series trophy is a GIANT SWORD FROM A VIDEO GAME - SBNation.com
Old 04-03-2022, 09:46 AM   #249
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That was from 2020. Sadly, they did not use it again in 2021

SI

Old 04-03-2022, 11:23 AM   #250
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Bets I am looking to make. I know there is a sports betting thread but we have some sharp baseball minds so I would love some opinions

AL MVP
Buxton- 40-1

I think this is tremendous value. IF he stays healthy the sky is the limit. Plus his hitting is vastly improved over the past 2 years.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote