Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2020, 07:28 AM   #1
korme
Go Reds

Trials & Tribulations with Apocalypse Trivia

Shane Ryan, an author and writer for pgatour.com started a trivia league a while back and on Twitter invited people to sign up for the next round a few weeks back. I signed up (along with my brother). Thought it might be fun to share my experience - honestly, I wish I had notified FOFC about this when he was asking for signups, this seems right up some member's alleys. At least it's on the FOFC radar now, and maybe you guys can get in next time he asks for more people.

There are a lot of sports writers in here so I expect to be below average. However, it's an incredible idea and I'm glad to be partaking!

----
Code:
All Time Record 4 - 5 - 1 All Time +/- -10 Answer Rate 38% Previous Finishes Season League Finish Fortnight VI Endtimes (Jr A) 6th Hit Rate by Category Category Count Hit Rate Baseball 2 / 5 40% Basketball 4 / 6 66.67% Country Club 3 / 6 50% Football 2 / 6 33.33% Games 3 / 5 60% Hockey 2 / 4 50% Obscure 1 / 4 25% Olympics 1 / 5 20% Racing & Combat 1 / 4 25% Soccer 0 / 5 0%

Last edited by korme : 08-25-2020 at 01:58 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:32 AM   #2
korme
Go Reds

Here is the general rules and structure guidelines of Apocalypse Trivia, (as seen on the front page of the website):

Hello everyone!

Welcome to the explainer for Apocalypse Sports Trivia, the head-to-head league taking the nation (read: a few sports nerds) by storm.

The simple explanation of our fair enterprise is that for ten days (M-F only), you will face a new opponent each day from within your ten-player division. The individual battles are "games," and the overall ten-day affair is a "Fortnight" (with apologies to the video game). Along with answering five questions in each game, you will try to stymie your opponent in an attempt to limit the damage he wreaks. If you get more points than your opponent that day, you win the game. If you don't, you lose. You can also draw! Three points for a win, one point for a draw, zero points for a defeat, just like European soccer.

Also just like European soccer, there is promotion and relegation from within your division. At the end of each Series, the top finishers in each division will climb the ladder, and the bottom finishers will be relegated to what lies beneath. New players will be placed in Junior Divisions, and their results will determine which division they enter for the next Series.

Now, let's dive into the details.

----

1. What's to stop us from cheating?
Nothing, except the strength of your character. And really, why would you join a league like this, which features no cash prizes, and cheat? What's the point? Don't cheat!

2. Can I look up parts of questions that won't give me the full answer?
Absolutely not! Questions in Apocalypse Sports Trivia are meant to be answered using only the knowledge that's already in your head. So, if the question was...

Of the 21 schools to have won a Division 1 national championship in men’s hockey, only two are located south of 40 degrees latitude, including the team tied with the second-most titles. Name either of the two schools, which happen to be located in the same state.
...you would not be allowed to look at a map to see which states fall below 40 degrees latitude, even though this would not give you the answer. Or if the question was...

Fill in the blank from a 2011 New York Times feature: “‘________ are going to bite the thunder out of you,’ says 44-year-old Buster Garrett, who took part in the 12th annual Okie Noodling tournament.”
...you would not be allowed to look up the definition of 'noodling.' (In this case, it would give you the actual answer.)

3. Are the questions hard?
Our league-wide average in our first fortnight was 47%, 52% for Fortnights Two and Three, and just over 53% for Fortnight Four, so let that be your guide (the goal is to keep a rate slightly above 50%). In my opinion, the questions are hard but not impossible. Your mileage may vary, but we'll always keep up a certain standard of difficulty.

4. How long do we have to answer?
Twenty-four hours. The questions will come out at 9 p.m. eastern, and will be due by 9 p.m. eastern the next day, which is also when results will be available.

5. What if someone fails to answer in the time allotted?
That's a default, meaning the other player gets a three-point victory and the highest possible points for each correct answer. For the defaulting player, it just counts as a normal loss, but too many defaults (the usual standard is two within a fortnight) and you'll be booted from the league.

6. How are standings determined?
First by points for wins and losses and draws, then by differential of points within a match, then by correct answers.

7. How do points within a game work?
In each game, a correct answer is worth two points...with two exceptions. As you answer, you'll also mark one question with a K, and one question with an HR—that's baseball notation for strikeout and home run. If your opponent gets the question marked "K" correct, he or she will receive 0 points—you've effectively nullified the question. However, if he or she gets the "HR" question correct, it will be worth 4 points. Clearly, you want to assign a K to the question you believe to be easiest, and an HR to the hardest.

8. What's with the division names?
Each conference, starting with the original Armageddon Conference, will eventually be populated by 60 players, separated into six divisions of ten players each based on performance in past fortnights. The names of the six divisions—Premiership, Liga Two, Serie Three, Fourdivisie, Deildin Five, Sixligaen—are borrowed from European soccer. New players will be placed in "Junior" divisions for their first fortnight, with their performance there dictating which division they're placed in for the next fortnight.

9. What's the format within a fortnight?
The first nine days of each fortnight will feature round robin play within each division, with every player in a division facing every other player in that division in a head-to-head match. Based on the standings after those nine days, players will be matched against each other on Day Ten in battles for championships, promotions, relegations, and honor matches. The first nine days constitute the "regular season," while Day Ten is known as Championship Day.

10. What happens on Championship Day?
Based on a scheme set out before the Fortnight, and based on your finish after the first nine days, you will play a tenth match that falls under one of a few categories to help determine titles and other honors, and also to determine placement for the next Fortnight:

Championship, Third Place, Fifth Place Match: Can be within a division, or, in the case of multiple junior divisions, a championship for all juniors.
Ultra-promotion Match: Doubles with some divisional championship matches, with the winner being promoted by two divisions (and the loser still promoted by one).
Attack/Defense: If you're on defense, you'll be fighting to avoid relegation against a player from the division below you. If you're on attack, you'll be fighting for promotion against a player from the division above you.
Placement Match: For juniors only. For placement in division next Fortnight, with a win sending the player higher and a loss lower.
Relegation Match: Occurs at or near the bottom of divisions, winner remains, loser is relegated.
Ultra-Relegation Match: Occurs at the bottom of some divisions, with the loser being relegated by two divisions (and the winner still relegated by one).
Super-Relegation Match: Rarely used, and only when mixing in new junior divisions with existing veterans. Loser is relegated by three divisions, and winner still relegated by two.
Honor Match: Your place for next fortnight is already set, and the Day 10 match is for honor only.

11. What if I fail to play defense?
The website won't allow you to submit your answers without making defensive selections. It will return an error telling you what is missing, and allow you to make your defensive selections and resubmit.

12. What about spelling, and names, and all that?
Unless otherwise stated, last names are fine for answers. In fact, we've had situations where someone unnecessarily attempted a first name, bungled it, and got the answer wrong even though they had the last name right. Beware! Spelling is a little trickier. You don't have to spell your answer correctly, but it has to "sound" right even with the incorrect spelling. So if the answer to one question was "Jurgen Klopp," "Yirgin Clahp" would be fine, but "Klopper" would be wrong since it sounds different. Some of this comes down to a judgment call, and the commish has the final call, but that's the basic rule.

13. Any other minutiae?
Sure—if a question asks for one response, and you list more than one, your first response will count, regardless of what comes after. If a question asks for two or more answers, and you list only one, you will get the question wrong even if the answer you provided is correct—no partial credit.

14. Can defaults be a draw?
No. If you default and your opponent submits and gets zero correct answers, that will be a victory for your opponent and a loss for you. The opponent will be credited with the full three points, but zero correct answers and zero margin of victory.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #3
korme
Go Reds

The Categories
Note: As you’ll soon discover, there’s a good deal of overlap between certain categories. Many of the sports covered in other categories are also in the Olympics, for instance. I’ll make sure to balance the questions accordingly, so that, for instance, if there are two tennis questions in the “Country Club” category, there won’t be any in the Olympics category. And if there’s a question about Olympic Hockey, that will likely go under the Hockey category to avoid having too many hockey questions in one Series.

Sub-Categories: Each set of five questions throughout a Series in a specific category will be separated into broad sub-categories such as history, current events, rules, entertainment, and business.

Football
– Self-explanatory
Soccer – Self-explanatory
Baseball – Self-explanatory
Basketball – Self-explanatory
Hockey – Self-explanatory
Obscure sports – For the foreign and the uncommon.
Racing & Combat – An admittedly odd couple that includes motor sports, horse racing, boxing, MMA, wrestling, etc.
The Country Club – For sports we associate with money, from tennis to golf to lacrosse to polo to fox hunting. Expect many fox hunting questions.
Olympic Sports – Sports that are contested in the Olympics that generally don’t appear in another category, such as swimming or track & field.
Games – Another broad category which can include anything from billiards to chess to video/arcade games to cards.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:38 AM   #4
korme
Go Reds

So that was the primer. Let me tell you a little about where I fit in to all of this.

The two main conferences are - AFAIK - like the AFC and NFC of the league. They are called Armageddon and Doomsday Conference, and the leagues are 6 tiers of 10 players each, like soccer, and those 120 players have played this game before so they have moved up and down with each fortnight.

The Commish started a *new* conference called the Endtimes Conference, with 6 tiers - Junior A, Junior B, etc. These are all the new players, so the tier doesn't really matter. I am slotted in Junior A.

Day 1 was yesterday.

Last edited by korme : 08-11-2020 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:05 AM   #5
korme
Go Reds

DAY 1

OPPONENT: Jonathan Gault
As per the rules, I have to assign him the "K" and "HR" to 2 of the 5 questions, so I needed to do some research. Jonathan Gault is a writer for run.com and loves trivia, according to his Twitter bio. Noted. So anything that has to do with running, I'd like to assign the K to, and I'll just pick what I feel is the hardest question as the HR.

To the questions:

QUESTION 1
What film was broadcast on NBC on Sunday, Nov. 17, 1968, at exactly 7 p.m. on the east coast?

Spoiler

QUESTION 2
Michael Phelps is the only Olympic with double digit gold medals (23, to be exact), but four Olympians have accumulated nine golds over the course of their careers. Carl Lewis and Mark Spitz are two of them. Name either the Russian female gymnast or the Finnish male distance runner who have also captured nine golds.

Spoiler

QUESTION 3
Who was the last player on the winning team to touch the ball (in play, before the buzzer sounded) in the 2003 NCAA men’s Division 1 basketball championship?

Spoiler

QUESTION 4
There are two leagues among the North American "big four" (MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA) in which California doesn’t have the most teams outright of any U.S. state, but is only tied for the lead. Name every team from one state that ties California in either of these leagues. (Note: You’re naming the teams from the other state, not California.)

Spoiler

QUESTION 5
In the Season 5 Grand Championship of American Gladiators, Wesley Berry broke the world record by finishing the Eliminator in 48 seconds. He would later win the International Gladiators competition representing America. What was Berry’s cereal-themed nickname?

Spoiler

FINAL SCORE & STANDINGS
Spoiler
Old 08-12-2020, 07:40 AM   #6
korme
Go Reds

DAY #2

OPPONENT: Ben Everill
As I will do every day, I look up my opponent on the world's most reknowned source, Twitter. Ben's bio tells me he writes for PGATOUR.com. Great, another professional!

To the questions:

QUESTION #1
In this iconic photo from the 1950 U.S. Open, what specific, unique club is Ben Hogan holding?

Spoiler

QUESTION #2
Baseball and softball coaches often use a specific kind of bat that is longer, thinner, and lighter than a normal bat (and that sometimes has tape on the barrel) in order to hit fielding practice. The five-letter word for this bat has been around since at least the 1800s, and may derive from the Scots language. What is that word?

Spoiler

QUESTION #3
“Walk down pit road on the day of a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race and it appears as if a group of small buildings have been erected. Actually, they are the pit boxes that each team has. Affectionately known as the “______ ______,” the pit boxes hold computers, car-monitoring equipment, spare parts, repair materials — everything vital to a team’s performance each week.”

Fill in the blank from this 2013 Scranton Times-Tribune story with the missing two-word alliterative phrase.

Spoiler

QUESTION #4
What was the name of the controversial official ball of the 2010 FIFA World Cup? The name, chosen by Adidas, means “celebrate” in Zulu.

Spoiler

QUESTION #5
The dueling pawns you see below are animated versions of the official playing pieces for what "game of sweet revenge?" (The title of which has been artfully obscured in the image.)

Spoiler

FINAL SCORE & STANDINGS
Spoiler

Last edited by korme : 08-12-2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #7
Butter
Coordinator

How did you not HR the American Gladiators question?
Old 08-12-2020, 10:06 AM   #8
korme
Go Reds

Rookie mistake I suppose. I thought the Heidi thing was impossible, I did not realize it is pretty famous.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:34 AM   #9
korme
Go Reds

DAY #3

SHANE (0-2-0) vs. ANDREW DESNOYERS (0-1-1)
First opponent that is not on Twitter, so no bio, and appears to not be a pro sports writer. Fantastic, but also, I have less to go on for defense.

To the questions:

QUESTION #1
In the seven NHL seasons from 1968-69 through 1974-75, only two men—both Boston Bruins—won the Art Ross Trophy for most points in a season. Name both.

Spoiler

QUESTION #2
In a certain game, the names of various “coups” span a wide range, from “Belladonna” to “Crocodile” to “Deschapelles” to “Merrimac” to “Morton’s Fork,” while the “Alcatraz” coup is an illegal variation. What’s the game?

Spoiler

QUESTION #3
From Aug. 17, 1987, when Martina Navratilova gave up the no. 1 WTA ranking for good to Steffi Graf, until March 31, 1997, when Graf gave it up for good to Martina Hingis, only three women held the no. 1 ranking; Graf for 377 weeks, Monica Seles for 178 weeks, and what third player for 12 weeks?

Spoiler

QUESTION #4
On the list of the top 30 NFL players with the most career regular season receiving yards, only three have a last name that begins with a vowel. Terrell Owens, ranked third, is one, while Michael Irvin, ranked 28th, is another. The third player, ranked 15th, played from 1983 to 1998 for the Rams, Redskins, and Patriots. Name him.

Spoiler

QUESTION #5
As documented in the film Pumping Iron, the drama at the 1975 Mr. Olympia bodybuilding competition revolved around two contenders, one of whom subtly bullied and intimidated the other on his path to victory. Name both men.

Spoiler

FINAL SCORE & STANDINGS
Spoiler
Old 08-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #10
korme
Go Reds

Today's questions are impossible
Old 08-14-2020, 08:08 AM   #11
korme
Go Reds

DAY #4

SHANE (0-2-1) vs. PETER BAILEY-WELLS (1-0-2)
Pete is an editor at bostonglobe.com so that's pretty broad, but he should know his stuff.

To the questions:

QUESTION #1
In a 14-year MLB career, Tony Clark played for six teams, made one All-Star game in 2001, and retired with a career batting average of .262. What is Clark’s current job?

Spoiler

QUESTION #2
Amanda Nunes is the current champion of the UFC women’s bantamweight division. Starting with the inaugural champion in that division in Dec. 2012, only three other women—all of them American—have held that title. Name two of the three. (Free hint: Cris Cyborg is not one of them.)

Spoiler

QUESTION #3
Among the nicknames of the Hungarian team that fell to West Germany 3-2 in the final of the 1954 FIFA World Cup—a major upset, strange as it seems today—were “The Golden Team” and the “Mighty” or “Magnificent” or "Marvelous" or "Magical" what?

Spoiler

QUESTION #4
“Military Patrol," an official Olympic sport in 1924 and a demonstration sport on three other occasions, was a precursor to what Olympic event that debuted in 1960?

Spoiler

QUESTION #5
Chervin Jafarieh, the founder of the company CYMBIOTIKA—which sells herbal supplements designed to promote homocysteine balance—was able to bring his ideas (for instance, the molecular transformation of liquids via emotional projection) to a larger audience in late April with an appearance on the Instagram Live series “The Self Mastery Project.” Who hosted the show?

Spoiler

FINAL SCORE & STANDINGS
Spoiler

Last edited by korme : 08-14-2020 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:33 AM   #12
korme
Go Reds

DAY #5

SHANE (0-3-1) vs. Aaron Jorbin (1-1-2)
Aaron doesn't have a Twitter bio, and I know very little about him. I'm rolling with my gut on defense.

To the questions:

QUESTION #1
“They attempted to set up badminton, but no one could find the shuttlecock. They improvised with a perforated plastic ball, lowered the badminton net, and fabricated paddles of plywood from a nearby shed.”

This description of events that took place on Bainbridge Island in the summer of 1965 refers to the origins of what sport?

Spoiler

QUESTION #2
In the 1959-60 NBA season, Wilt Chamberlain won the NBA MVP award as a rookie. Nine years later, what Louisville grad became the second (and as of now, last) player to win the MVP as a rookie? This player never won an MVP again, though he’s no. 12 on the NBA’s all-time rebounding list.

Spoiler

QUESTION #3
In 2014, six European domestic leagues came together (with other parties) to form the Champions Hockey League, the latest iteration in the complicated history of European club championship hockey. Since then, despite participation from all over the continent, every semifinalist has come from one of the six founding leagues. Name three of the six countries these leagues represent, and note that Russian KHL teams do not participate. (Note: Your answer should contain three countries.)

Spoiler

QUESTION #4
“Yeah, I’m pissed. But I’m ready to go on to Pocono, we’ll be alright.” Those words concluded an interview with CNN’s Don Lemon in late June, and were spoken by what athlete?

Spoiler

QUESTION #5
On the list of the 59 Dominican-born baseball players who have reached the 1,000-hit mark in Major League Baseball, the last name that appears most frequently is Ramirez—Manny, Aramis, Rafael, and Hanley. None of them are related. What is the only last name to appear three times?

Spoiler

FINAL SCORE & STANDINGS
Spoiler
Old 08-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #13
britrock88
Pro Starter

#5 a good question indeed. I went with Molina... but Jose didn't crack 600 hits and the brothers are Puerto Rican.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:53 AM   #14
korme
Go Reds

DAY #6

SHANE (1-3-1) vs. DREW WILDE (0-5-0)
I'm hoping to build off my winning moment and seize the opportunity to beat someone who seems to be around my skill level.

To the questions:

QUESTION #1
Name either one of the two schools that have appeared in at least ten Division III NCAA national championship football games. Between 2005 and 2015, these schools won every title, and faced each other for the championship in nine of the eleven years.

Spoiler

QUESTION #2
Why has this photograph from the archives of Sport Magazine remained relevant for more than 50 years?

Spoiler

QUESTION #3
Name three of the four clubs who will be playing in the UEFA Champions League semifinals later this week.

Spoiler

QUESTION #4
In a cut scene from the Sega Genesis game Zero Wing, released in 1992, an alien cyborg called CATS delivers what ominous, though grammatically dreadful, seven-word message? (Note: Your answer must be exact.)

Spoiler

QUESTION #5
There are three nations that have won a single gold medal, and no other medal of any kind, in the history of the summer Olympics. Interestingly, all three golds came at the 2016 Games in Brazil, where a judoka from Kosovo and a Taekwondo fighter from Jordan both won gold. The third historic gold medal came in a team event. Which nation won that medal?

Spoiler

FINAL SCORE & STANDINGS
Spoiler
Old 08-19-2020, 06:29 AM   #15
korme
Go Reds

DAY #7

SHANE (2-3-1) vs. TIMOTHY GRAF (3-1-2)
All I know about Tim is that he is a hairdresser. He has a better record than me, but over six days we have both answered 12 questions correctly, so we'll see.

To the questions:

QUESTION #1
A July 8, 2012 ESPN.com story, a Feb. 6, 2018 Bustle story, an Aug. 10, 2016 EOnline story, and a Feb. 12, 2014 Us Weekly story all featured provocative tales from what locale?

Spoiler

QUESTION #2
What alias did Michael Vick frequently use when undergoing STD testing and treatment, according to a lawsuit brought against him by a woman he allegedly slept with?

Spoiler

QUESTION #3
FC Barcelona Bàsquet’s Brandon Davies played in NCAA postseason tournaments in 2010, 2012, and 2013 (but not 2011) for which school?

Spoiler

QUESTION #4
“__________ banged your girlfriend, mate. Sorry to tell you that.” These words, spoken by Nick Kyrgios to Stan Wawrinka at the 2015 Rogers Cup, came during a heated exchange and were justified by Kyrgios afterward when he said, “he was getting a bit lippy with me.” Fill in the blank with the missing player.

Spoiler

QUESTION #5
On Aug. 14, 1997, an electrical outage affecting a bank of lights at Camden Yards forced the Baltimore Orioles to postpone a game against the Seattle Mariners. Later, a conspiracy theory emerged that the Orioles had manufactured the outage as a means of canceling the game in order to preserve Cal Ripken Jr.’s consecutive games played streak. Ripken, the story went, had caught his wife in bed with another man that day, and was either too bruised from fighting the man, too distraught, or some combination of both, to attend the game. According to this now Internet-ubiquitous theory (which, it should be noted, is provably false), who had shacked up with Ripken’s wife?

Spoiler

FINAL SCORE & STANDINGS
Spoiler
Old 08-20-2020, 07:34 AM   #16
korme
Go Reds

DAY #8

SHANE (3-3-1) vs. BRIAN SANDALOW (4-3-0)
Brian works for Sun-Times Sports, so we are back to the pros. Although our records are similar, Brian's answer rate is far higher than mine.

To the questions:

QUESTION #1
From the 2010-11 through 2019-20 seasons, only three FBS football teams finished the season undefeated (including all postseason games, where applicable) but did not finish first in the final AP rankings. Name two of those three.

Spoiler

QUESTION #2
In a standard game of snooker, what color are the majority of balls?

Spoiler

QUESTION #3
Of the top 50 goal scorers in the history of Serie A, four are currently active and still play in the top Italian league. Two of them, Fabio Quagliarella (17) and Ciro Immobile (37), are Italian. Name either one of the two who aren’t. (Note: These are goals scored IN Serie A.)

Spoiler

QUESTION #4
Elena Delle Donne, the reigning WNBA MVP, had her request to opt out of the 2020 season for medical reasons denied by a panel of doctors. What chronic immuno-compromising condition does Delle Donne suffer from?

Spoiler

QUESTION #5
According to an AP story, what common, low-tech buffering implements were the only objects lining the “unbanked turns” of a perilous street luge course that ran from the Cliff House to Ocean Beach in San Francisco at the 1999 Summer X games?

Spoiler

FINAL SCORE & STANDINGS
Spoiler
Old 08-21-2020, 07:51 AM   #17
korme
Go Reds

DAY #9

SHANE (3-4-1) vs. JIM ROBBINS (1-5-2)
Jim has been very good at hockey questions, and average in common sports and little else.

This is the final day of the regular season.

To the questions:

QUESTION #1
The final round of the 1977 Open Championship at Turnberry is known today as the “Duel in the Sun.” Who finished second in that event?

Spoiler

QUESTION #2
What first name is shared by the active NHL leader in playoff goals (72), the active leader in playoff overtime goals (5), and the all-time leader in playoff minutes? (Please note the bolded sections: The answer requires a first name only, and the first two leaders listed are among active players only.)

Spoiler

QUESTION #3
The two players selected 31st and 47th in the 1984 MLB draft later had their numbers retired by the same team...and those numbers were 31 and 47. Name both.

Spoiler

QUESTION #4
Quinn Cook spent the first three years of his high school career at a Maryland Catholic school which boasts alumni such as Adrian Dantley, Mike Brey, Danny Ferry, Victor Oladipo, and Markelle Fultz. For his senior season, he transferred to a Virginia private school whose former stars include Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Jerry Stackhouse, and Rajon Rondo. Name either one of the prep powerhouses Cook attended.

Spoiler

QUESTION #5
A “solved game” is one whose outcome can be correctly predicted from any position as long as both players play perfectly, and a “weakly solved” game is one in which either a victory or draw can be secured from the starting position with perfect play. What is the most complex game—with approximately 5 x 10^20 possibilities—to ever be weakly solved? (It took between 50 and 200 computers a full 18 years to finally solve it in 2007.)

Spoiler

FINAL SCORE & STANDINGS
Spoiler
Old 08-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #18
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Reading and enjoying, please keep it up!
Old 08-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #19
Butter
Coordinator

I too thought Bubba Wallace was white and probably related to Rusty Wallace. Oops
Old 08-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #20
korme
Go Reds

Just got back from Chicago so I'll probably take another day to write the final match.

However, I did just get an email from the commisioner asking about the next fortnight, they are taking new players. He says just contact him about Fortnight VII shane AT apocalypsetrivia.com
Old 08-25-2020, 01:56 PM   #21
korme
Go Reds

DAY #10

The Seeding Game

With the season over and us being in junior divisions, all of us have been seeded to a division comparable to other opponents. That means we are playing for a spot in Division III, with the winner beginning next season in Division IV.

SHANE (4-4-1) vs. ANDREW DESNOYERS (3-2-4)
Andrew was my only draw back on DAY 3. I answered one more question correctly than him, but we still ended up with 4 total points. This could be considered a rubber match, then.

To the questions:

QUESTION #1
A 2003 study called “Social and Economic Value of Sport in Ireland” found that although soccer has the highest participation rate among citizens in the Republic of Ireland, both soccer and rugby fall behind two team sports in terms of annual attendance by spectators. Name one of those sports.

Spoiler

QUESTION #2
List the following implements—presented here in alphabetical order—by the length of their current world record throws, from longest to shortest: Discus, Hammer Throw, Javelin, Shot Put

Spoiler

QUESTION #3
For an NFL game to end on a hail mary—defined here as a pass that travels at least 40 yards in the air and is thrown up for grabs into or near the end zone as time expires—is very rare. Give the first name of the player who threw the longest game-ending, game-winning hail mary in NFL history, and the first name of the player who caught it. (Note: Your answer should consist of two first names. I'd ask for their last names, but that would be redundant.)

Spoiler

QUESTION #4
One of the most tragic events in professional boxing came in a 1982 WBA lightweight championship bout. Kim Duk-koo (often written as Duk Koo Kim), the challenger, was knocked out in the 14th round, and fell almost immediately into a coma from which he died four days later. Kim’s mother killed herself three months after that by drinking pesticide, and the match referee, Richard Green, committed suicide the next summer. Kim’s opponent fell into a depression afterward, blaming himself for the death. Who was that opponent?

Spoiler

QUESTION #5
A specialized (and fairly rare) soccer tactic called Il cucchiaio ("the spoon") in Italy, cavadinha ("little dig") in Brazil and penal picado in Argentina is widely known in the English world by the last name of the man who made it famous at the 1976 UEFA European Championship. What is that name?

Spoiler

FINAL SCORE & STANDINGS
Spoiler

Last edited by korme : 08-25-2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 10:16 AM   #22
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Just got back from Chicago so I'll probably take another day to write the final match.

However, I did just get an email from the commisioner asking about the next fortnight, they are taking new players. He says just contact him about Fortnight VII shane AT apocalypsetrivia.com

I will take you up on this.
Old 08-27-2020, 07:23 AM   #23
korme
Go Reds

Great! I'll vouch for anyone as needed.
Old 10-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #24
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
I will take you up on this.

Did you get in? Starts Sunday
Old 10-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #25
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Did you get in? Starts Sunday

Sure did! Looking forward to it.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:31 AM   #26
britrock88
Pro Starter

Nice 8(4)-0(0) win to start things off yesterday.

Today... the degree of difficulty swing just seemed wild. All but one question required multi-part answers, which seems a little excessive. Managed to get one/two parts of three of those answers, but not all of any of them.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:20 PM   #27
korme
Go Reds

I am a perfect 1-1-1 after three days.